AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-03-23, 19:47   Link #1441
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
The roman emperor is probably an old man allready, far into his 50ies or even 60ies, and thats a biblical age, for a civilisation living in a mix of middleages and postapocalypse. Even if he wanted to, he coudnt... So he let her go. Because he is a nice guy.

Felicia, go for it
I have a damn feeling that the Emperor is younger than we thought and he's a harem male lead that raised Rio's flags.

Quote:
What the hell?!!? Are they Zentradi to stop the eminent fight to appreciete the damn song from the trumpet?I wouldn't, i don't like trumpets, I would understand if it actually was the cease fire code >_>
As said Amazing Grace before is the unifying music of the international forces during the old era. Hence why Tank-kun has a copy. Hence why Princess Illiya and Aisha can play it.

Rome and Helvetia are descendants of those surviving international forces that integrated into Europe.

Amazing Grace is their common heritage.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 19:48   Link #1442
Ambulator

I thought it was an awesome ending, one of the best I've ever seen. The series as a whole was a bit slow for my taste though, so overall only 8/10.

It's never been one of my favorite songs, but I must say Amazing Grace sounds great on a horn.
Ambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 20:00   Link #1443
Ghostfriendly

An amazing episode. After all the spectulation, the first episode's legend turned out to be quite misleading, but it gives a good theme of progress and finding truth together. Noel and Ashia (angel Aisha!) were amazingly powerful; the way Aisha pointed at Noel seemed to challenge her to redeem herself and break out of her despair.

Colonel Hopkins got a bit more development than I expected. It seems he was unwlling to massacre his own countrymen, even if he felt no qualms about slaughtering Romans. 'Rome must be destroyed!" almost echoes the Roman senator Cato's 'Carthenage must be destroyed', for any classics geeks. I was pretty surprised that Hopkins got a gun to his head so early on; it shows how Felicia can't stand the idea of another war after all she's been through.

Wonderfully tender moment between Felicia and Kuraha, when the latter broke down; and Kanata doing her Lynn Minmay act held me spellbound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord
It's interesting you guys mentioned Amazing Grace and how it's played at funerals. It's a "sad" piece of music. The planet is dying. Chunks of it are dead in this universe. The music is fitting for the post apocalyptic setting.
Amazing Grace is at least as happy as its sad; don't forget the lyrics are about a soul being saved from purposelessness and fear.

Quote:
The roman emperor is probably an old man allready, far into his 50ies or even 60ies, and thats a biblical age, for a civilisation living in a mix of middleages and postapocalypse. Even if he wanted to, he coudnt... So he let her go. Because he is a nice guy.

Felicia, go for it
Rio may well have married the Emperor by the end, but they don't actually need to live together, since its a political marriage. The Emperor either has his two previous wives to keep him company or some other woman on the side he actually cares for, similar to Rio's mum and the king of Helvatia. Indeed, if bossy, strong-willed women aren't his type, the Emperor might be quite glad to get some distance away from Rio.

So Rio coming back is excusable, but Felicia not hugging her at the end isn't.

The plot seems thoroughly wrapped up, and the origin of the angel could well remain a matter of myth. Something to show what the characters go on to do in the future would be nice, though, as well as how the decay of the world is getting on.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 20:03   Link #1444
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Extremely long review I wrote on the whole series as a whole:
Spoiler for Final Review:

Overall Score: 9.04/10 (Score computed from a average of all the ratings of 12 episodes)
Old 2010-03-23, 20:34   Link #1445
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
Because man outliving his 2 wives and targeting third which is at most half of his age isn't viewed good even now? Especially if he already have many children from them.
Eh, not necessarily. Historically lots of cultures have been perfectly fine with big age gaps between husbands and wives; women were often married off while in their early teens to middle aged men. And especially with political marriages. You hear all those stories of alliances being formed in ancient times where a king would send off his daughter to marry some random foreign king... I'm not saying that I think it's good, but in context, I don't think the citizens would be horrified at the idea.

In any case, even if that were so I don't think it'd make Rio a "hostage." I mean, she'd be his only wife and not just some consort, some addition to his harem. If that were the case it'd give her significant political standing rather than making her a hostage, at least that's what I think.
Old 2010-03-23, 21:20   Link #1446
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
An amazing episode. After all the spectulation, the first episode's legend turned out to be quite misleading, but it gives a good theme of progress and finding truth together. Noel and Ashia (angel Aisha!) were amazingly powerful; the way Aisha pointed at Noel seemed to challenge her to redeem herself and break out of her despair.

Colonel Hopkins got a bit more development than I expected. It seems he was unwlling to massacre his own countrymen, even if he felt no qualms about slaughtering Romans. 'Rome must be destroyed!" almost echoes the Roman senator Cato's 'Carthenage must be destroyed', for any classics geeks. I was pretty surprised that Hopkins got a gun to his head so early on; it shows how Felicia can't stand the idea of another war after all she's been through.
Yet it has to be remembered that the Colonel HAS slaughtered Helvetians.

Vingt was a Helvetian town.
Old 2010-03-23, 21:55   Link #1447
yoropa
Director

Something I thought about...

Spoiler for Episode 12:
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 22:39   Link #1448
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Yet it has to be remembered that the Colonel HAS slaughtered Helvetians.

Vingt was a Helvetian town.
Well as per nature of WMD's Vingt was hit as collateral due to being on the border but from the gist of it he didn't target it on purpose.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 00:10   Link #1449
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Well as per nature of WMD's Vingt was hit as collateral due to being on the border but from the gist of it he didn't target it on purpose.
As Noel said the bastard was laughing... The man is a psychotic monster.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 00:40   Link #1450
Raiga
tl;dr

I suppose the difference is, in the Vingt instance it was an uncontrollable biological weapon or something, whereas in this case he'd have had to order his men, all loyal Helvetians, to slaughter their fellow countrymen with their own hands (figuratively speaking).

Even if Hopkins was willing to kill Helvetians, it's clear that his men aren't as gung-ho about the war as he is. They'd probably disobey or turn on him if he gave the order to kill the townspeople that were blocking them.
Old 2010-03-24, 03:22   Link #1451
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
As Noel said the bastard was laughing... The man is a psychotic monster.
If you manage to convince yourself the enemy are less than human, you can feel nothing for them while treating others normally. If Vingt was Helvetian, and Hopkins wasn't at all regretful about it being destroyed, though, he probably does have some problems.
Old 2010-03-24, 05:17   Link #1452
mulesquito
Share ratio 130%

Question Shades of WWII

The rogue colonel's effort to trigger war reminds me of some history I've read about how a few war-mongering middle officers maneuvered Japan into the war in China in the 1930s. I wonder how much of Sora no Woto's war story arc is allegory for that episode in Japanese history.
Old 2010-03-24, 09:14   Link #1453
Roardel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulesquito View Post
The rogue colonel's effort to trigger war reminds me of some history I've read about how a few war-mongering middle officers maneuvered Japan into the war in China in the 1930s. I wonder how much of Sora no Woto's war story arc is allegory for that episode in Japanese history.
You mean Mukden Incident? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mukden_Incident )
Year, maybe it inspired the staff.
Yet I guess it’s not the only model of Hopkins. Ems Dispatch, for example.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ems_Dispatch
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 12:29   Link #1454
klare

a few thoughts about the finale:

- the soldiers dont care about the ceased-fire signal but they stop and listen to "Amazing Grace"... we need to try that in the real world

- i think that bad bad general did not die after being stepped by spidertank (no killing allowed in this show)

- the spidertank can climb wall but the maidens look like not wearing seat-belt

- Rio said "the Roman Emperor is actually a reasonable guy"... i can imagine she used a gun or other weapon to force him being reasonable^^

- season 2 can continue with some new squad members

my overall rating: 8/10 (the OP is an excellent song, the characters are likable but the main plot is unconvincing)

anyway, this is still the best series of the season
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 12:36   Link #1455
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
(no killing allowed in this show)
What about episodes 7 and 10?
Old 2010-03-24, 14:30   Link #1456
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

with only 6 legs the tank reminds me more of a waterbug than a spider. A lot of my questions about its ability to move about were answered though.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 15:02   Link #1457
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerider View Post
with only 6 legs the tank reminds me more of a waterbug than a spider. A lot of my questions about its ability to move about were answered though.
Especially the question as of how it can climb buildings without making them collapse under 50tons of spidertank. "Wight-Reducers". Yey! So ... err... what? Humanity develops antigravity generators, and the first thing they do is build a tank around it and start a war with heaven. /facepalm
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 18:23   Link #1458
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Especially the question as of how it can climb buildings without making them collapse under 50tons of spidertank. "Wight-Reducers". Yey! So ... err... what? Humanity develops antigravity generators, and the first thing they do is build a tank around it and start a war with heaven. /facepalm
There seemed to be some kind of field cushioning the tanks impact when it landed between the two armies, showing a bit more appreciation for physics than most anime. If pre-apocalyptic society could use energy fields to disperse momentum, they probably used them for all kinds of industrial and military applications.
Old 2010-03-24, 21:10   Link #1459
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
There seemed to be some kind of field cushioning the tanks impact when it landed between the two armies, showing a bit more appreciation for physics than most anime. If pre-apocalyptic society could use energy fields to disperse momentum, they probably used them for all kinds of industrial and military applications.
The fact that writer is aware of the square-cube law already place them a cut above the rest unlike gundam.

The only other series that is aware of it IIRC is FMP where the Behemoth needed lambda drivers to prop itself up. Where as here they have something that modifies gravity to lighten the mech.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 21:13   Link #1460
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
The fact that writer is aware of the square-cube law already place them a cut above the rest unlike gundam.

The only other series that is aware of it IIRC is FMP where the Behemoth needed lambda drivers to prop itself up. Where as here they have something that modifies gravity to lighten the mech.
Indeed....historical research done, scientific ones as well......glad to see someone paying attention to tiny details like this in their work...just makes the overall feel more complete somehow

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life