AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-08-15, 21:17   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Mangakas that have disowned the anime adaptations of their creations?

I dunno if its really happened. As far as I know the creator of Tekken fighting games Katsuhiro Harada openly hates the live-action Tekken movie. Maybe Akira Toriyama should do the same for upcoming Dragonball: Evolution sequel(yes it is being made as we speak).
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 21:23   Link #2
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Five Star Stories
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 01:09   Link #3
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I remember hearing the author of fruits baskets disowned the adaptation and blocking the series from having a sequel, I think.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 02:06   Link #4
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Maybe Akira Toriyama should do the same for upcoming Dragonball: Evolution sequel(yes it is being made as we speak).
Didn't he say something like "It's an interesting take on what I made" for the first one which is the Japanese way of saying "WTF is this crap."
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 03:33   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Dragonball: Evolution sequel(yes it is being made as we speak).
I-CAN'T-BELIEVE-IT. Come on, it's not even funny anymore .

Since I'm not up-to date about this thing, I never heard of any mangaka who hate his/her manga to be animated since it's a way of his/her creation to be more popular. Also, animes tend to faithfully bring the spirit of the manga to the other format.

But I guarantee you that there (are/will be) many mangakas got pissed off by Hollywood's treatment to their beloved artwork. Dragon Ball, Astro Boy & Fist of the North Star are among them. Also, Akira and Gunmm (Battle Angel Alita) will join the club, I think.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 03:40   Link #6
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
What was the sentiment of Kouta Hirano over the Gonzo version of Hellsing?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 04:18   Link #7
GreatTeacherKen

I've heard Araki Hirohiko wasn't fond of the movie adaptation of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood. I suppose the Japanese viewers felt the same way since the only clip of the movie that can be found online is the initial trailer even though the movie's been out for a few years. I suppose he's OK with the other adaptations of the series since it seems that this one in particular is the one that got a bad rep. Not to mention that Phantom Blood itself received a video game adaptation for the PS2 that's Japan only.

Last edited by GreatTeacherKen; 2011-08-16 at 04:28.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 09:04   Link #8
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
I think the writer of tales of earthsea wasn't exactly pleased with the anime movie adaption. And there was one other one lately that complained, and later had to apologize
Old 2011-08-16, 09:54   Link #9
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Naoko Takeuchi dislikes the anime version of Sailormoon and Yuu Watase hates the Fushigi Yuugi anime. Why she hates the Fushigi Yuugi anime is a mystery to me; aside from Miaka being a bit more stupid, it's EXACTLY like the manga.
Old 2011-08-16, 10:09   Link #10
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Naoko Takeuchi dislikes the anime version of Sailormoon
This I can understand.

The Sailor Moon anime and manga are substantially different from one another, with notable contrasts in atmosphere, tone, mood, and to some degree even characterization.

If the Sailor Moon anime was just airing today (and the manga was a relatively new one, only two or three years old), the internet would be exploding with people talking about how moe-ied up Sailor Moon was in the transition from manga to anime.
Old 2011-08-16, 19:49   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I know very few mangaka are that are delighted with the anime adaptation ... a lot depends on how much input the author gets in the writing. For example.. In Lucky*Star, the author actually penned much of the anime-only work... though I suspect he was less enthralled with the product placement and the live-action segments. Sometimes you can watch an interview with a mangaka and that little frozen smile gives it away....
Old 2011-08-16, 20:10   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I know very few mangaka are that are delighted with the anime adaptation ... a lot depends on how much input the author gets in the writing. For example.. In Lucky*Star, the author actually penned much of the anime-only work... though I suspect he was less enthralled with the product placement and the live-action segments. Sometimes you can watch an interview with a mangaka and that little frozen smile gives it away....
Considering how the Lucky Star anime is a nine-hour commercial for Haruhi, I don't blame him...
Old 2011-08-16, 20:33   Link #13
Theowne
耳をすませば

The mangaka for Kare Kano wasn't happy with what Hideaki Anno did with her manga, to the extent that he later resigned from his role as director in the second half of the series.

I personally think his interpretation ended up being more unique and worthwhile. Hard to think of many high school series that manage to top those first four episodes when it comes to young love.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 21:56   Link #14
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Well, it looks like any mangaka (or original series creator) would be pissed when severe changes are implemented to the series they penned.

Oreimo Episode 08 completely illustrates this.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 23:53   Link #15
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Considering how the Lucky Star anime is a nine-hour commercial for Haruhi, I don't blame him...
That's harsh. Has an element of truth though
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 00:07   Link #16
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Takaya Natsuki pretty much disowned the adaptation for Fruits Basket.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 01:16   Link #17
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
That's harsh. Has an element of truth though
Without the anime Lucky Star wouldn't be as popular though so i don't think he has cause to complain about.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 02:15   Link #18
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well also the Lucky Star manga has a lot of commercial elements in it anyway. Though from what I remember they were for Fate/Stay Night, as the manga predates the Haruhi anime by two years. I'd have to look into it more to see what they did for later volumes, but before the anime happened.
Old 2011-08-17, 03:47   Link #19
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

If my memories are right, i remember that Nobuhiro watsuki kinda disliked the Rurouni Kenshin :Reflection . correct me if i'm wrong. but i recall he hated how kenshin's fate in there turned.
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-17, 06:36   Link #20
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
If my memories are right, i remember that Nobuhiro watsuki kinda disliked the Rurouni Kenshin :Reflection . correct me if i'm wrong. but i recall he hated how kenshin's fate in there turned.
AFAIK, he didn't really HATE it. He just preferred a happier ending. I think he said something like the OAV is based on your personal opinion whether it's right or wrong.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote