AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

View Poll Results: Ouran Host Club Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 9 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 19.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 8.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 19.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 22.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.78%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.78%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-26, 03:29   Link #21
katakami
another procrastinator

Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
I don't think there's enough material for a second season. >< Maybe an OVA but I have a feeling it'll be one of those lame OVAS that act as a revision episode. Then again BONES did do a FMA movie so... *shrugs*

They've been jumping back and forth between manga chapters so it's possible that they'd be saving that manga volume for the last few episodes... (is that the cultural festival episode?) because that would make sense since he's the one who's got the most nods towards Haruhi (being like her father is probably the biggest one).

I managed to get the Chinese version of the manga but... I can't read Chinese so I sort of had to guess what was going on by the images (and I only skimmed it.)

Spoiler:

In terms of Kaoru's more gentleness... haha I don't know if that's true... Kaoru can be more understanding and gentle BUT I think if you piss him off he can be more evil too. It's just like Hikaru said (in episode 5) - "in the core of his heart, Kaoru's worse."

Arrrhhh.... I sound like a twin fan. =_= I'm not! I swear... My favourite is Kyouya. XD

And yeah I'll watch the next episode and see if I can see differences with the way they draw eyes. It's hard cuz I always depend on the voices now. Lol!
Old 2006-08-29, 21:45   Link #22
arichang
FanFiction Authoress

Hmm. I just have to say... it appears as if this episode made a lot of people hate the twins... But, for me... it sort of had the opposite effect. I don't know. Maybe I'm biased because I find jealous and possessive Hikaru absolutely adorable... but... really... this episode, more than anything, made me sympathize with the twins.

As far as I'm concerned, that girl deserved what she got. Well, okay, both of them did. Obviously, they didn't know who they were really confessing to--who did they really like? Hikaru or Kaoru? I think it's unfair to the both of them, and definitely a little heartbreaking. After all, those girls made it sound as if the both of them were interchangeable, that either one would do.

Really, who's the heartless one?

And what if, on the totally off-chance, one of the twins actually had feelings for the girl? Or any girl who's confessed... they made it obvious it happened numerous times...

Admittedly, the twins did not handle the situation in the best manner... however, that's just their way of handling things, isn't it? I think their desire to be one and indistinguishable is a sort of reflex from growing up and being so. As individuals, I cannot imagine neither of them actually being glad no one could tell the difference between them. It must be horrible to seem exactly like the other, as if you didn't have your own personality... It's hard. And so, the twins--probably helped by that thief-cum-maid--reacted the way they did.

By making it seem as if they were confusing people on purpose, I think that's their way of lessening the, well, pain.

Besides, what happened in this episode was what happened in their last year of middle school. Now, in their freshman year... their world is bigger. They're hosts--they please girls. And they're more sensitive--the way they act around Haruhi is a prime example. I think their meeting Haruhi was a very important turning point in their lives... they actually found--contrary to what that thief said--someone who can distinguish between the two of them.
Old 2006-08-29, 22:02   Link #23
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
hmm i gave this ep a 7 cause i thought it was just ok...i liked the background and all but it seems to be dragging and at times i got a bit bored too >.<
eps 21 looks way more interesting tho

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-08-29, 22:08   Link #24
mit7059

As for the girls thinking the twins are interchangeable, what can they expect? At that point they had no distinguishing characteristics because they purposely avoiding having any such characteristics. And I find what they did to the girls to be just plain cruel, a girl decides to confess, she places the note in the right desk, but the first thing that she's told is that she messed up, so she already feels bad, then she's told that she has no chance with the twin she originally wanted, so she feels heartbroken, then, the twin makes a fake confession, she feels happy again, and who can blame her for taking either when they look, and act exactly the same, they they humilate her and tell her that she's the one that cruel. No one who shuts themselves off from society can blame society for not knowing them.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-30, 08:55   Link #25
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Didn't really like this episode, quite a bit of it was rehashed info about the twins and the timing for this episode was weird imo. They should have used this episode somewhere before the episode where Haruhi told them apart. Unlike the episode with some of Honey's background, this one wasn't wrapped up in a story that takes place at the current timeframe. All in all it was rather boring, I'm afraid.
Old 2006-08-30, 09:34   Link #26
arichang
FanFiction Authoress

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
No one who shuts themselves off from society can blame society for not knowing them.

I believe they shut themselves off from society because the society didn't know them. Since they were children, they've been indistinguishable, simply because they looked alike and as children they have yet to mold their own personalities... but when they grew up knowing nothing but saying, "No, sorry, I'm Hikaru" or "No, I'm Kaoru"... they probably subconsciously shut themselves off... until it just became what and who they are.

And really... that girl... if she seriously liked, say, Hikaru... would she have been so willing to agree so quickly to "Kaoru" confessing? Besides, even I could tell that it was Hikaru right off the bat--and I'm rather ignorant--their voices are very, very different. Her feelings seem very shallow if she couldn't even recogonize her beloved's voice when he's standing right in front of her.

*shrugs* I'm sorry. I like the twins. I just feel compelled to defend them. XP I may be sprouting bullshit... but this is what I honestly think.

Last edited by arichang; 2006-08-30 at 21:03.
Old 2006-08-31, 14:33   Link #27
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichang
I believe they shut themselves off from society because the society didn't know them. Since they were children, they've been indistinguishable, simply because they looked alike and as children they have yet to mold their own personalities... but when they grew up knowing nothing but saying, "No, sorry, I'm Hikaru" or "No, I'm Kaoru"... they probably subconsciously shut themselves off... until it just became what and who they are.

And really... that girl... if she seriously liked, say, Hikaru... would she have been so willing to agree so quickly to "Kaoru" confessing? Besides, even I could tell that it was Hikaru right off the bat--and I'm rather ignorant--their voices are very, very different. Her feelings seem very shallow if she couldn't even recogonize her beloved's voice when he's standing right in front of her.

*shrugs* I'm sorry. I like the twins. I just feel compelled to defend them. XP I may be sprouting bullshit... but this is what I honestly think.
What middle school crush isn't shallow? How could anyone like them in a deep way when they refuse to talk to anyone? If they want people to be able to tell them apart, then they need to show some differences, the twins are rich stuck up brats, I feel no sympathy for them, I'm tired of this show wasting episodes on them.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-31, 20:56   Link #28
arichang
FanFiction Authoress

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
How could anyone like them in a deep way when they refuse to talk to anyone? If they want people to be able to tell them apart, then they need to show some differences
Hmmm... that actually causes me to ask. What in the hell were those girls thinking, actually going up to them and "confessing"... anyway? I found them completely stupid. They were kinda asking to have their hearts "broken".

Besides, I think what Kaoru and Hikaru want is to be told apart... without them having to do anything; to be distinguished the way Haruhi distinguishes them. Though, I have to say, Haruhi's utter perfection is just a tad too... over-the-top as far as I'm concerned.
Old 2006-09-01, 05:29   Link #29
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I agree with mit7059 and similar opinions that many of the background episodes have been veery weak, but I don't agree that this one was one of them. This episode is by far the best episode of Ouran that I haven't laughed at, IMO.

The problem I've had with a lot of the other episodes which attempted character development is that characters like Honey, Mori and Kyouya which they focused on are based on very simple archetypes and, as funny as they are, there's a limit to how seriously you can take them. The twins on the other hand were fascinating because, as this ep showed, they aren't totally straightforward and are rather complicated characters. I was also very impressed by Tamaki in this ep; he showed a lot of strength with his perserverance in the game and I think he needs to get a lot of credit for being a catalyst in the twins' development.

Anyway, this episode gets my big thumbs up, since it proved Ouran can still be very intriguing when it's not a comedy... that being one of my big doubts/criticisms of this series. I'm still not totally convinced that its a top show when it's not a comedy, but at least it's shown it's not always mediocre (when it's not a comedy, that is).
Old 2006-09-06, 16:01   Link #30
Zappster

Having seen the episode myself all I can say is, it's pretty understandable why they never had any friends and I found it very hard to not get angry with them at certain points in the episode, similar to ep 16 with Hikaru in that respect and it kind of makes me dislike Hikaru in that episode even more. I mean excuses at the time was that they never had any friends so they don't know any better, but if that was a direct result of his own unwillingness to open up back then(which is basically what we see) then it's hard to even make that out to be an excuse. The fact is, if you want friends it's gotta work both ways. You can't just expect other people to do all the work, you've got to open up at some point and not encrouch into your own little world, as they did.

I thought what they did to Tamaki was very cruel and had I been in his position, I'd find it hard to control myself like he did. I actually thought that despite it being a Twin's background episode and one to show their development, Tamaki came off the better for it. It was an interesting background ep I'll give it that. As we get some details on why they started calling him tono and such. Still hasn't changed my view on them though, I find them as annoying and bitchy as some find a certain other main character in a recent popular series.

Still, at least it bought about something to discuss other than the "LOLZ it was so funny I was rolling on the floor" type comments in other episode discussion threads. I've never really found the series as funny as some people make out or even as consistently funny as they make out but it's always kept me entertained(as well as getting on my nerves with certain characters), which is about all I can ask, and I guess this episode was no different. As it's gone on, I'd say it's been a decent show and it'd probably feature lower down in any top xxx of the year list for me, its had its moments(particularly the first 3-4 episodes). Certainly it's been better than quite a bit of the stuff out there. Disappointing I guess given the start it had and I've seen funnier shows already this year IMO.
Old 2006-10-02, 07:23   Link #31
andromeda0201

unlike many here, I actually liked this episode because I always wanted to know why they call the twins devils apart from their mischievious acts.
This episode showed the dark twisted personality of them before they became host club members, we were foreshadowed in the beginning by others saying that they were much better since they became hosts. Since then I was hoping that they would make an episode explaining their past. Like katakami, I had no problems differentiating them because of the voice actors. Didn't feel sorry for the girls either although I agree they could have rejected in a more polite way
Altogether a good serious episode of Ouran
Old 2006-11-22, 17:15   Link #32
Rydrallen

The girl deserved every bit of scorn directed to her. What would you feel if a girl who wanted to have a date with you confessed that, "Oh, it doesn't really have to be you, your brother is fine too." It's completely fine if she's unable to distinguish Hikaru from Kaoru on her own, but what tells me her feelings for Hikaru isn't genuine was when Hikaru pretended to be Kaoru and asked if she would take him instead, she agreed.

The twins were testing the genuineness of her confession, and she failed, horribly, when she herself admited that the Hikaru she claimed to love can be substituted instantly by another individual who had similar physical traits. The conclusion of the test was obvious, she loved neither, she was merely attracted to their physical apprearances, that is why she was willing to take any of the two, since they both had similar appearances.

The meanest person is the girl- she who treated people based on their looks, instead of what's inside them.
Old 2006-12-07, 18:19   Link #33
rhs_kitty

Send a message via AIM to rhs_kitty
I think what the twins did was fair. If the girls dont care to tell them apart then they dont need to confess to one of the twins then say that the other ones okay too. Even if Hikaru and Kaoru shut themselves off from the world the girls who "liked" them should have at least tryed to get to know them. Those girls deserved to get their hearts broken.
Closed Thread