AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2022-09-19, 17:44   Link #10901
apr
Pedestrian

Good news, everybody! I discovered that The Decline and Fall of the Goldana Empire is pretty darn good, so now we have something to read again. Apparently it was too spicy for Narou, so the author moved it over to Nocturne, but it's extremely low on actual sex scenes, even if people discuss the matter quite a bit.

Mostly it's an isekai about an overpowered guy who goes to magical medical school while trying to pick up hot vampire chicks and avoid getting married off to muscular noble (wo)men. The first few chapters are pretty rough, with way too many explanations from God(?), but then it quickly picks up and becomes surprisingly interesting and fun.
Highly recommended, in these otherwise very meagre web novel times.
Old 2022-09-22, 06:36   Link #10902
apr
Pedestrian

Found another new title that's pretty good, 昭和38年. The author's got a bunch of works prior, both on Narou and Nocturne, with some being published as well.

Plot's about a 43-year-old hack writer who suddenly finds himself time warped to 1963 Tokyo, and struggles through a quickly changing society to get back to a decent lifestyle. This kind of time leap story isn't exactly original, but what makes it stand out for me is the time period chosen.

Usually it's either "medieval fantasy" where the protagonist can go hogwild with all his modern knowledge, or "my childhood", where the MC is already intimately familiar with the setting, since they've lived it once before. Here we've got "grampa's era", which is more vague, and much of his knowledge has already been implemented by others.

Instead we get interesting details about how Japan changed after the war, like needing to buy a padlock to keep thieves out of your apartment, or just how expensive but handy a refrigerator was back then. Keeps it unusually fresh, at least for me.

It also helps that the first character the protagonist starts hanging out with is a young man, so it stops the story from becoming yet another midlife crisis fantasy about dragging around a harem. To some degree, anyway.
Old 2022-10-04, 23:50   Link #10903
Greenish Growth

I never noticed it til now. So the most blatant, main themed blood incest web novels got deleted from nocturne and moved to Hameln eh? (The ones they caught anyway)

Makes sense now why some of those web novels got deleted some months back.

Vtuber web novels are so popular right now. I've never gotten into any of those stories personally.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-05, 15:25   Link #10904
Amelgar

They did? Can't say I noticed. Wasn't aware there was any content that was banned on nocturne.
Amelgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-05, 15:50   Link #10905
Greenish Growth

Yeah, it's weird. When they got deleted at nocturne it said the website deleted for not meeting their standards or whatever and then the same stories are on Hameln which is also a syosetu site. So it feels like the web novels they consider to be more problematic are put over there. The fan fiction of existing properties are over there too.

I haven't found any fan fiction at Hamelin to be that great though. The two fan fiction I seen there were only H between the characters. Not anything really clever or noteworthy. I haven't even read any of that Mamahaha NTR fan fiction novel yet.
Old 2022-10-05, 17:07   Link #10906
Rasty

^ I always thought Japan was much more lenient to incest in fiction though. Like half of mainstream LNs (and anime) have one of the heroines being a step-sister or real sisters that are kept on the border of becoming a heroine. Even Mahouka has a real brother-sister pretty much close to incest (haven't read the newest novels, so not sure whether they are or aren't siblings in the end). It feels strange that nocturne went on a crusade against incest while things like Lolicon Yuusha are OK.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-05, 17:55   Link #10907
Greenish Growth

Wasn't Japan becoming a bit more picky with the blood incest with the Olympics coming up or something like that? It wasn't like a huge change or anything. It was just a little here and there. They were feeling a little more pressure on the issue.

Wasn't there that one H-anime not too long ago that changed it so that the woman was his stepsister instead of his blood sister that she was in the manga? I think she was married too. I forgot the name of the anime.
Old 2022-10-05, 18:33   Link #10908
Amelgar

Did they make an announcement or post the changes to there rules somewhere? Had a quick look but couldn't see anything.
Amelgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-05, 18:54   Link #10909
Greenish Growth

No, it's just me guessing so I could be wrong.

Maybe I'm wrong and it's just something else. It's weird how Nocturne said "This novel has been deleted by management because it contains content that violates the terms of use", but they are okay with it being on Hamelin.

Or maybe they just haven't noticed? Maybe I should read it before it disappears again?

Ore no Imouto ga Saikou moved over to Hameln too.
Old 2022-10-06, 04:13   Link #10910
Rasty

^ Reading the first chapter of that I just now remembered how great some JP R18 novels are. Not that it would be especially well-written H scenes, but I laughed the most in a long while. I actually might continue reading this for a few more chapters.
Old 2022-10-31, 16:06   Link #10911
Greenish Growth

I often read web novels from the Real Life Romance category. I noticed there are two types of stories that are the most likely to stop updating and be deleted:

1. Stories that have a female childhood friend that doesn't want to confess to the dense male lead. The story goes on for awhile showing how close they are and how they have a good relationship. Then a new girl shows up (probably a childhood friend transfer student). The new girl has equivalent or somewhat superior relations with the male lead. The first childhood friend becomes frustrated and depressed.

2. Misunderstanding and downhill relationship stories. Something causes the girl and guy's relationship to go bad so the male lead eventually ends up going out officially with another girl. The smaller the reason for the falling out the more likely the story is to be deleted.

When I run across these stories I wonder how long it will last before the web novel gets deleted. It feels like the author probably got a lot of angry and critical comments so they just bail out right away.

Personally I find it more interesting when the reason for the break up was a lesser issue except when they drag it out too long. The great majority break up stories go overboard and make the female character evil or brain dead. They feel like cardboard characters to punch and hate (similar to most zamaa characters)

One web novel died and was later deleted after it was revealed that the female lead misunderstood what the male lead meant when he indirectly confessed to her early in the story. She thought he was asking her if they could go to her house that day. She said that it wasn't possible. Some readers must have really gotten angry over that. The whole story was based off such a tiny misunderstanding. They were going to end up together regardless, but it looks like backlash ended the story about ten chapters from completion. I recommend that anyone writing these kinds of stories to stop accepting feedback so you don't get hate mail so the stories can at least be written further.
Old 2022-10-31, 18:34   Link #10912
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
Personally I find it more interesting when the reason for the break up was a lesser issue except when they drag it out too long. The great majority break up stories go overboard and make the female character evil or brain dead. They feel like cardboard characters to punch and hate (similar to most zamaa characters)
I loved this in Mamahaha no Tsurego (the premise). They didn't grow estranged because of some colossal problem, it was just a series of small miscommunications and unreleased frustration that just spiraled out into them breaking up despite still loving each other.

Though I usually don't have the patience to read novels without any fantasy elements (R18 relationship novels are an exception, as H logic can be considered a fantasy element in itself ). It's OK watching it as an anime, but when I am reading those stores tend to be just a bit too slow paced and boring.
Old 2023-01-24, 01:37   Link #10913
cabman11

You guys still alive?
Old 2023-01-24, 19:46   Link #10914
Rasty

Yeah, though this thread is pretty much dead by now.

I haven't been reading many JP novels lately though. Syosetsu seems to have a drop in quality and a great rise in popularity in Akuyaku Reijo type series (which I don't like), and I never liked the Kakuyomu interface for reading.
Old 2023-01-24, 21:13   Link #10915
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

So sad.... This thread used to be very crowded....
Old 2023-01-26, 10:52   Link #10916
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruki0089 View Post
So sad.... This thread used to be very crowded....
I'm more hoping that Syosetsuka can accept novel from outside Japan in English.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-26, 11:07   Link #10917
Rasty

That would be nice, royalroad fanbase is too different from Syosetuka (they love masochist stories) and webnovel is... webnovel.
Old 2023-02-02, 08:15   Link #10918
meggindo

Anyone know this wn title or link??

It's already old WN but suddenly i feel wan to read it again...

The story is about female MC who was born into noble family, i have forgotten her name but because she has born as plain gloomy woman also have weak will that her family doesn't care about her also she was born from her prostitute mother and her mother sell her to his father for money so her standing in that family got worsen. Her father doesn't treat her as his daughter also doubted her as his daughter. But he still provide her living space but only that thing he do, after that she leaves her all alone didn't put any caretaker for her. When she has arrived at her room which kind far away from main building, she put down the facade of plain gloomy weak willed little girl actually a beautiful, cheerful and strong willed person. Actually she was reincarnated person and also know that world is otome game and her role is kind of villainess girl underling if I didn't remember it wrong. She cleaned her own room which is dusty by herself and one maid come to check on her and surprised at her change which different from her impression. From there on the maid has become kind of loyal to her helping her even if she didn't ask her for help. And one butler too who become her allied when he think she is interesting.

Then from then on she was introduced to her step little sister which was the heroine of the otome game, at first she was trying to test her by saying the word different from the game and see her reaction and after seeing her little sister confused face because she said different line from the game she quickly corrected her line and run away just like in the game. After that she was trying to find a way to escape her predicament, she finally decided to become a knight. But because she never use a sword, she was searching someone for someone who can teach her about sword and she asked for the butler for advice ( also threat him cause his slacking in his work) and the butler tell her about someone who was former knight captain living outside of royal capital there.

She go meet the former knight captain and she remember the person she meet is the one who will teach the heroine about sword in second prince route there and at first she was turned down, but the former knight captain finally agreed to accept her as disciple with one condition if she can give him correct answer to him. He brought a few sword with different size sword and asked her which one is the best sword. She actually know the answer because the heroine answer in the game, but she was lost in thought because is it really okay to give answer just like heroine in the game? After thinking through her head she give conclusion she was different from heroine and also this is not a game, her life depends on this so she gives her own answer.
At first the knight kind of disappointed at her answer but stunned at her additional explanation why she chose that answer. The female MC kind of getting scared when she saw the former knight captain getting silence all the time thinking she was going to be rejected, but suddenly the former knight captain turned away from her and tell her to comeback tommorow morning which surprised her and salute at him happily saying please take good care of me.

Flashback to former knight captain to how he was former noble and have family. He also has daughter but because he always busy with his knight duty he rarely spend the time with his daughter, and always have thought her daughter will succeed his family, but his daughter was in love with merchant son when his daughter was learning at noble school. He remembered her daughter word when he and her daughter quarrel her daughter told her father she respect him as knoght captain but doesn't mean she want to walk the life as knight just like her father. One day he received news from his wife that their daughter has ran away from home and elope with the merchant son leaving a letter contain apologies for being ungrateful daughter. A few year later after his wife passed away he retired from knight captain position and chased after his wife, but one day a little girl appeared before him which is our female MC. Their conversation remind him of his daughter so the former knight captain decide to give her trial bringing sword from his armory and ask her which sword is the best sword while expecting she give him similar answer just like his daughter which is a bastard sword he used when he was at active duty and also the reason why he teachs the heroine in the game because heroine in the game also give the same answer just like her daughter so he kind of seeing his daughter inside heroine. But he was disappointed when she gives him different answer saying I don't know but immediately gone into shocked state when hearing her additional explanation saying

"How can you tell which sword is the best sword when each other person fighting style is different?"

The former knight captain wondering how can he not realised such basic thing? Just like she said what he think his bastard sword was the best sword but it will be too heavy for that little girl to lift it. He then accept her telling her to comeback tomorrow morning and he will teach jer about sword. Seeing her happy smile he then swear to himself he will raise her to be great knight and watch over her apologizing to his wife in his heart that looks like it will a little while longer for him to chase after his wife.

Well the plot is kind of like this, i do remember the female mc suscced to become knight too and at school got herself ally which is marquis daughter who saw through her plain gloomy weak willed girl facade because she using makeup to act like that. Also a boy whis marquis daughter friend. Female MC also unaware that the advice she gave to capture character has solved the problem that the capture character has in mind. The last thing i remember is the heroine is falling into darkness and received dark power from someone. The heroine want to extinguish the female knight which didn't appeared in the game cause she has broken her capture flag one after another the heroine also still hasn't found out that female knight is her step sister.

Our female MC has love interest which is her partner in knight patrol. But that partner is first prince in disguise as ordinary person but has he is strong at sword. At first our female mc only interested in sword and partner with him in hope he teach her his sword style but lately she was attracted to him too
meggindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-02, 09:20   Link #10919
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

So, one of the guys I know asked an interesting question today: is there any LN about "overdue harem"? I.e. MC got in his 30-40s and the same is with the girls. But they still continue the typical harem antics and MC still have not chosen abny of the girls or made any real advances.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-12, 18:38   Link #10920
sasuke706

Random recommendation time. Haven't done this in a while; haven't had one that hasn't already been recommended already that I thought was good enough or didn't get abandoned before I cared to do so.

かくして少年は迷宮を駆ける  ~勇者も魔王も神も殴る羽目なった凡庸なる少年の話~
Story premise itself isn't anything new, with extremely low caste boy with almost nothing to lose goes on reckless adventure to get stronger to get what he wants. The twist here is, sad as it is, unlike most other Narou novels in the same vein it has actual effort. Characters have personalities and backstories including personal motivations, it has world building and foresight, and it's been pretty decent at conveying action. The MC himself doesn't just stumble into power, nor does he even have any sort of special ability due to birth (at least nothing revealed yet), which is a nice personal plus.

The subtitle itself is misleading. I'm sure it'll happen eventually—it hasn't yet, as it's a steady growth story—but whenever I see a story that has 'hero' or 'demon king,' let alone both in a title, I get wary; those ones tend to be particularly thoughtless and bad. I can only assume the subtitle itself a bid to attract the attention of the habitual low attention Narou fanbase. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked in spite of daily updates with decent chapter length. It's also harem but frankly the harem elements are fairly minimal.

I'd say the biggest strength the series has compared to most the stuff I tried to read over the past couple years on Narou is it's able to keep my attention. Just fun to read. No random long filler chapters of trying to build onsen and eat rice while praising isolated eastern island nations, and enemies aren't just comedic elements or complete jokes. If I had to list a con, the MC in particular gets stronger as the series progresses but it's also kind of hard of to tell that he does. Can't necessarily write it off as poor depiction since the MC is always fighting mobs way stronger than him, with the trash mob fights happening offscreen 99% of the time.

Hope it gets serialized, especially considering the low bar for it nowadays, but I regrettably don't think it has the popularity numbers to get one. Would be nice to be wrong.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
web novel