AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-27, 02:57   Link #81
GundamFan0083

Found some more really nice still shots of Yamato 2199, and a few magazine images (sorry they're kinda small/low res).

The Gamilas will be the classic blue meanies we all grew up with instead of the "sparklies from space" a la the Live Action Film.

I'll post direct link to the blog that has them since blogspot does not allow hotlinking.

Entry 1:
http://augustragone.blogspot.com/201...2199-2012.html

Entry 2:
http://augustragone.blogspot.com/201...012-first.html

Entry 3:
http://augustragone.blogspot.com/201...9-2012-12.html

I for one am happy they are going back to the original story and updating it.
The "Quest for Iscandar" is a great tale in and of itself.
I imagine they'll change a few things, but I hope they stay more-or-less true to the original storyline.
Old 2012-02-27, 21:58   Link #82
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmm, so the old "Battleship 225" from the English dub has been numbered 555 and given the name Kirishima? I wonder if "555" is a Matsumoto homage (Interstella 5555 and Galaxy Express 999). As far as I know if never got a name in the 1974 run. It has been called the Mogami-class "cruiser" in some materials.

One thing is, that this it probably the first time in a long time that the original theme song can be sung and actually make sense with the show's plot. Since they are going to Iscandar. They used the theme in all the series...even when they were not going there anymore. The Star Blazers dub at least changed the lyrics between the first and second seasons to reflect the plot (the dubbing company just reused the second series theme for the third series since it has been about six years and was done sort of in a rush)
Old 2012-02-27, 22:16   Link #83
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

...that's a very good point Ithekro. The different seasons for Star Blazers DID change the lyrics. They never actually did that with the original series.

...kinda seems a bit surreal. I know it's a cool opening, but you gotta realize the opening doesn't actually do much to introducing the concept for the series
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 00:27   Link #84
YF19EX

Agh, so it looks like its going to be piece meal released. Theatrical to DVD/Bluray probably through out the year like how Broken Blade was done.

No TV broadcast till 2013.

Given the production quality of the eps they are showing, I can understand if they are breaking up the release.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-2013-or-later

Well I hope that April 7 is not the only day they will be showing Yamato. I will be in Tokyo the next week and hope to see if it is still in any theaters...
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 00:31   Link #85
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One way or another, I will see these.
Old 2012-02-28, 01:17   Link #86
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
One way or another, I will see these.
Look Ithekro, I know you REALLY like Yamato, but is it really prudent to bribe a Marine expeditionary unit with the promise of booze and hookers, drive them into Tokyo bay, and launch an amphibious assault into the theaters where the movie is being premiered in order to get front row seats.

cause the last thing we need is Jar Head weaboo's singing the Yamato theme song with Isao Sasaki while drunk.
Old 2012-02-28, 01:26   Link #87
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It be better if we found, raised, and refitted Musashi to look like her sistership in the future and then deliver that to Japan as an offering. (or make it actually work and use it for space exploration, but that's even more off the wall) Yamato herself is in too many pieces, but we don't know what Musashi's condition is (probably worse as she was hit from all sides, some sailors claimed they heard explosions under the water...and it is a long ways to the bottom in that part of the Seas).

Besides, the Gamilons are suppose to be sending their first probes here in thirty years. Might as well be ready for them.
Old 2012-02-28, 01:47   Link #88
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

If we were to raise historical battleships to fight off the Gamilons, wouldn't the Arizona at Pearl Harbor be more appropriate?
Old 2012-02-28, 02:02   Link #89
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
If we were to raise historical battleships to fight off the Gamilons, wouldn't the Arizona at Pearl Harbor be more appropriate?
You mean like this version of the Arizona?

Wasn't there an Arizona class in the side materials for Yamato? Or one of the books?
I seem to recall there being a reference to a second evacuation ship called the Arizona (which the artist above extrapolated off of to create the image I posted).

Here is a total rebuilt Yamato (not from the wreckage of the WWII ship) from an artist on DeviantArt (can't remember the gent's name).

I like his version as much (though not better) as the original Leiji Matsumoto design.
Old 2012-02-28, 02:54   Link #90
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There was a Space Battleship Arizona in Yamato III (it was suppose to have a lot of plot with it, but that got cut when the show went from 52 episodes to 25). We saw it I think three times in the show. Once after it was launched to join Yamato's mission to find a second Earth (along with the Prince of Wales, the Bismarck, and the Norwick...each supposedly build by other member countries that still existed on Earth at the time. Yamato being from Japan, Prince of Wales and Bismarck being from the UK and EU, Norwick being from Russia I guess, though it might be from the African Union or something. Arizona was of course from North America). A second time to remind us that Arizona was out there looking for a second Earth, and then in the second to last episode...when Yamato finds out what happened to the Arizona.

Space Battleship Arizona looks like a modifed Andromeda-class battleship with a new forward area with an improved single barrel wave motion gun...as well as side turrets. She has more main guns that pretty much any ship in the fleet (well at least before the Blue Noah in the 2009 film).

There has been talk of a "Disney" live action version of Star Blazers, just that it was suppose to not use Yamato, but Arizona instead (either in place of the "Argo" or as the ship that becomes the "Argo"). There is a few serious problems with that aside from the likely disrespect it would give the show. Battleship USS Arizona...is a rather small ship verses Yamato, or even an Iowa (USS Missouri would be a better choice if you had to use a battleship that is in Pearl Harbor). She also no longer has any superstructure, as it was all cut off long ago. All that is left is the hull and one turret. Also Arizona was orignally armed with twelve 14" guns. Also her bow doesn't seem quite suited for a wave motion gun.

Also the Memorial on the top would look really silly.

(As an aside related to the show: Yutaka Izubuchi, the Chief Director of Space Battleship Yamato 2199, was the one who designed Space Battleship Arizona for Yamato III).

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-28 at 03:26.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 03:36   Link #91
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

...dude, space battleship Arizona kicks ASS!

Also, the Yamato redesign seems to fix the problem that the ship completley lacks any gun coverage on it's bottom. Very nice. Also more general emphasis on the ships being a sealed armored tin can.
Old 2012-02-28, 12:35   Link #92
GundamFan0083

Quote:
There was a Space Battleship Arizona in Yamato III (it was suppose to have a lot of plot with it, but that got cut when the show went from 52 episodes to 25). We saw it I think three times in the show. Once after it was launched to join Yamato's mission to find a second Earth (along with the Prince of Wales, the Bismarck, and the Norwick...each supposedly build by other member countries that still existed on Earth at the time. Yamato being from Japan, Prince of Wales and Bismarck being from the UK and EU, Norwick being from Russia I guess, though it might be from the African Union or something. Arizona was of course from North America). A second time to remind us that Arizona was out there looking for a second Earth, and then in the second to last episode...when Yamato finds out what happened to the Arizona.

Space Battleship Arizona looks like a modifed Andromeda-class battleship with a new forward area with an improved single barrel wave motion gun...as well as side turrets. She has more main guns that pretty much any ship in the fleet (well at least before the Blue Noah in the 2009 film).

There has been talk of a "Disney" live action version of Star Blazers, just that it was suppose to not use Yamato, but Arizona instead (either in place of the "Argo" or as the ship that becomes the "Argo"). There is a few serious problems with that aside from the likely disrespect it would give the show. Battleship USS Arizona...is a rather small ship verses Yamato, or even an Iowa (USS Missouri would be a better choice if you had to use a battleship that is in Pearl Harbor). She also no longer has any superstructure, as it was all cut off long ago. All that is left is the hull and one turret. Also Arizona was orignally armed with twelve 14" guns. Also her bow doesn't seem quite suited for a wave motion gun.

Also the Memorial on the top would look really silly.

(As an aside related to the show: Yutaka Izubuchi, the Chief Director of Space Battleship Yamato 2199, was the one who designed Space Battleship Arizona for Yamato III).
Thank you Ithekro.
I knew the Arizona was in the Yamato series somewhere.
Yamato III is the series I've only seen once, so that explains why I don't remember Arizona being in it.

Here are the ships you mentioned:

Prince of Whales (minus the White Comet Empire super battleship in Green):

Norwick:

Arizona:

And the Bismarck:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
...dude, space battleship Arizona kicks ASS!

Also, the Yamato redesign seems to fix the problem that the ship completley lacks any gun coverage on it's bottom. Very nice. Also more general emphasis on the ships being a sealed armored tin can.
I've always thought that Yamato should have been refit with Ventral turrets.
Okita's ship has them, as does the Yukikaze:

Leiji Matsumoto's Great Yamato would have had Ventral turrets but the great Cosmo-menace "Copyright-Lawsuit" defeated Great Yamato.

Old 2012-02-28, 20:29   Link #93
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Norwick looks so much better as that model that it did in the episode. Though it looks like it could be an automated ship, as I can't find the bridge.

As for turrets, I figure the EDF would just roll the ships if they needed to fight elsewhere around the ship. I only recall one battle were Yamato used full on 3D tactics to its advantage, and I think that only worked because they had crack gunners. Other times they sometimes used different planes but still fought in the "horizontal". Only once did they really fight vertical verses horizonal that I recall.
Old 2012-02-28, 21:15   Link #94
GundamFan0083

I think the bridge of the Norwick is located at the base of the top "wing" of the ship.

Here's an awesome artist's version of the Arizona.
This guy is incredible:

Spoiler for big images.:

I can't believe he hand builds these from scratch (the fleet):

Spoiler for large image:

The fleets each year are just amazing.
I love the "Starsha" class from Dessler's war.

Here are the links to the fleets:

http://www.geocities.jp/dourakuoyadi...e2event111.htm

Here is a link to his website:
http://www.geocities.jp/dourakuoyadi/index.html
Old 2012-02-28, 23:14   Link #95
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The new women of Yamato 2199 are already starting to get a section on Danbooru and Pixiv.

They seem to like the new blue uniformed woman a lot.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-29 at 00:54.
Old 2012-02-29, 07:24   Link #96
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
The new women of Yamato 2199 are already starting to get a section on Danbooru and Pixiv.

They seem to like the new blue uniformed woman a lot.
Meganemeganemeganemeganemeganemeganemeganemeganeme gane

Though this is a bit surprising since she's also a Christmas cake~ I guess 2012 is a good year for them.

(I'll wait a few more weeks before really going through either danbooru/pixiv. Allot of the fanart...isn't quite so good for several reasons, but there are a few gems).
Old 2012-02-29, 08:05   Link #97
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

is there any explanation why yamato on ice?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 08:11   Link #98
Skane
Anime Snark

Sanada looking good there!

Cheers.
Old 2012-02-29, 08:53   Link #99
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Sanada looking good there!

Cheers.
Hrmmm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
is there any explanation why yamato on ice?
Wut?
Old 2012-02-29, 13:33   Link #100
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Considering who her voice actress is, and that she has blue hair, it won't take long for them to start drawing her in a blue magical girl Sailor Suit.

Yuki is as popular as ever. The other three women have less images, though I think Akira Yamamoto is in third presently only because she's probably the badass of the women (based on who she was based on in the original series). The other two need more characterization before they get as lot more images.

Sanada looks about the same as he normally does, unless I missed something.

(Yamato on ice? As in an ice skating version? I think there use to be one of those in the later 1980s and such. Now if you are talking about Yamato the ship being under ice, well I think you are talking about the wrong project as that happened in a different movie.)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-29 at 13:51.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato