AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2009-07-29, 10:54   Link #261
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Here's something very unusual.... technically, it exists at the edge of rap but weaves a big-band-ska-retrojazz scheme into the lyrics. Amazingly, these guys are from Sweden.

Consider this the antidote to Sweden's reputation as ABBA-land. MOVITS!

http://aurgasm.us/2009/04/movits/
Old 2009-07-30, 11:51   Link #262
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
This guy named Kevin rudolf got one of his songs as bestseller on itunes. He worked with Lil Wayne to make this album. It just a mixture of Rock and Rap but well composed in my opinion.

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 19:55   Link #263
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Listening to a lot of People Under The Stairs lately.

Kanye - Needs to stop riding his own nuts so hard, seriously, Lupe pissed on you when he made Conflict Diamonds and Mohammad Walks.

Eminem - Back in Infinite and Slim Shady LP, I loved this guy. With the direction he's taking his music nowadays, no dice.

Jay-Z - Honestly, I've always thought this guy was hella overrated. Using up to 3 or 4 minutes of word for word Biggie lyrics and passing it off as a tribute is BS, nothing anyone can say will ever change my opinion on that matter. I mean jeez, 3 or 4 minutes worth of Biggie lyrics as tribute? At that point, it's either a) biting his rhymes and using a cheap cop-out card, or b) practically borderline dickriding.

This is not to say that Jay-Z doesn't have talent on his own, but christ, it just seems like he half-assed some random verses and got lazy.
Old 2009-07-30, 21:22   Link #264
Explicit
Jag föstår

Send a message via MSN to Explicit
Does anyone else here listen to Tommy Tee, Warlocks, and/or T.P. Allstars?
They are Norwegian Hip-Hop artists. This is probably their most well-known track:

Also, whoever uploaded this to Youtube tagged it wrong. It's actually this:
Tommy Tee - Takin Ova (feat. N-Light-N, Diaz, Warlocks, Opaque & Father Blanco)
Explicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 04:33   Link #265
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Do you have ever heard Rap FR ? Here one of my fav

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HWLoFNzAcM

Keny Arkana - La mere des enfants perdus

And here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8txh...eature=related

La Rage with subtitles english .

Last edited by -Sho-; 2009-08-07 at 04:49.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 18:32   Link #266
Scorpian
Banned

Does anyone know who actually decides what a radio station's playlist will be? And how they go about choosing said playlist?
Scorpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 18:43   Link #267
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentKnight View Post
Jay-Z - Honestly, I've always thought this guy was hella overrated. Using up to 3 or 4 minutes of word for word Biggie lyrics and passing it off as a tribute is BS, nothing anyone can say will ever change my opinion on that matter. I mean jeez, 3 or 4 minutes worth of Biggie lyrics as tribute? At that point, it's either a) biting his rhymes and using a cheap cop-out card, or b) practically borderline dickriding.

This is not to say that Jay-Z doesn't have talent on his own, but christ, it just seems like he half-assed some random verses and got lazy.
Sigh.. it's not biting if they reference the song and artist after the "bite". But of course this "fact" isn't as interesting as just screaming HE'S A BITER!!!. It's funny that when I broke down 70% of his bites as not biting not a single Jay-Z hater on sohh or allhiphops (back when it was good!) forums could say anything of substance.

Friend of Foe 98 (Jay-Z)

"Do me a favor dude, get 2 ice cubes I pass them
Take that ice up, for the nicest MC"

Unbelievable (Biggie)
"Get ready to die, tell God I said hi
And throw down some ice, for the nicest MC"

So that's a bite I guess.. except... let me post the next line after Jay-Z's "bite"

"Do me a favor dude, get 2 ice cubes I pass them
Take that ice up, for the nicest MC
And please yo tell Big he's Unbelievable"

So not only does he mention Big he also throws in the song name while describing Big.. yeah what a bite! Anyone who thinks Friend or Foe 98 is a bite is a moron if they actually listen to the song.

I cbf doing more but his worse bite was

Biggie - "The World Is Filled"
"When the Remi's in the system, ain't no tellin
Will I fukk em will I diss em, that's what these h0es yellin
I'm a pimp by blood, not relation
Y'all still chase on, I'll replace on, punks
Drunk of Dom"

Jay-Z - "Give It 2 Me"
"When the Remi's in the system, ain't no tellin
Will I fukk 'em will I diss 'em, that's what they be yellin
I'm a pimp by blood, not relation
Y'all be chasin, I replace them, huh?
Drunk off Crist"

Except you see C.Wallace in the writing credits which means he payed to use those lyrics which means Big's mother got money for that.. and considering that Give It 2 Me was one of the biggest hiphop tracks that year and really got the Neptunes phase off and running..

Also quoting lines and using them for choruses has been going on forever.

He did bit some lines though without doing any of the above stuff.. but that 3-4 mins is more like 1 when you look at it really.. and considering he's done over 1000 songs... yeah I guess he is lazy.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 03:30   Link #268
White Lady
Dryad of death

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning
Send a message via Yahoo to White Lady
I am not much of a fan of rap or hip hop.I do like a few songs however I am still what one might call an outsider.I mean no offense to anyone but to me rap seems to be saying the same things over and over.It gets a tad tiresome.

I do like 2-Pac though.I have for quite awhile.
White Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 06:25   Link #269
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

It "seems" but not really if you read the lyrics for differents countries is not the same .

See :

Rap US is more "Money" "Drug" "Sex"

Rap FR is more "Anti-faschist" "Anti-racism" "Ghetto" "Poor people" if you listen to the 2 video music i posted above you'll see what i means .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 02:53   Link #270
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
All I can say is people need to start listening to Immortal Technique. Hes one of the best rappers out there but sadly it doesn't seem like hes getting the cred he deserves
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 11:08   Link #271
Kylegoblue

Sadly that's true of most worthy rappers these days. I grew up when rap was first starting out so it's sad to see it in the state it's in today. Honestly I've let go for the most part. I'd definitely consider picking something from groups I know are good like Outkast or Tribe if they ever came back.
Kylegoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 09:07   Link #272
Shadow Raven 91
She's a Genius I swear it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylegoblue View Post
Sadly that's true of most worthy rappers these days. I grew up when rap was first starting out so it's sad to see it in the state it's in today. Honestly I've let go for the most part. I'd definitely consider picking something from groups I know are good like Outkast or Tribe if they ever came back.
Dont give up. Hip-hop needs all the true listeners it can get now a dayz. I just picked up a buch of songs from Tribe and had to ask myself what took me so long. trust me there are alot of artist now that produce hiphop at its core. you just have to look under the mainstrem tv and radio culture. the indie underground scene is huge and can always use new listeners.
Old 2009-08-22, 10:58   Link #273
Lil' Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Raven 91 View Post
Dont give up. Hip-hop needs all the true listeners it can get now a dayz. I just picked up a buch of songs from Tribe and had to ask myself what took me so long. trust me there are alot of artist now that produce hiphop at its core. you just have to look under the mainstrem tv and radio culture. the indie underground scene is huge and can always use new listeners.
Everything about this post is the truth. You need to have faith in the genre. Too many people are getting turned off by the mainstream's milking of silly gangsta hooks and generic beats, when in reality if you dig down a bit deeper there's hip-hop that gives me the same vibes as Tribe and Wu-Tang.
Lil' Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 18:32   Link #274
D2
Go Big Red!

I myself have never liked rap, and do not see myself liking it soon, but I have to admit, the first 2 verses and the chorus of The Real Slim Shady can cheer me up every time I listen.
D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 07:10   Link #275
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Somewhere during the last few pages of this thread I either turned into a backpacker or made a steady transition towards the backpacker crowd.
This would probably explain my strong bias against Jay-Z and strong preference for Lupe Fiasco.....or that could just be me.

Whatevers.

@boomersooner: Eminem sucks. Period. Avoid the radio. The radio tends to play a ratio of 50 garbage rap songs for every decent one, and 150 garbage rap songs for every excellent one.
Old 2009-08-30, 00:10   Link #276
D2
Go Big Red!

Quote:
Somewhere during the last few pages of this thread I either turned into a backpacker or made a steady transition towards the backpacker crowd.
This would probably explain my strong bias against Jay-Z and strong preference for Lupe Fiasco.....or that could just be me.

Whatevers.

@boomersooner: Eminem sucks. Period. Avoid the radio. The radio tends to play a ratio of 50 garbage rap songs for every decent one, and 150 garbage rap songs for every excellent one.
"Sucks," is a relative term. What you feel may not be the same as someone else feels.
D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 05:59   Link #277
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Actually, I'm pretty sure the general consensus amongst hip-hop heads and probably most of the people posting in this thread is that Eminem ranges from suck to mediocre at best.

So in this case, what I feel is relatively the same as what everyone else does
Old 2009-09-08, 18:42   Link #278
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Quote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure the general consensus amongst hip-hop heads and probably most of the people posting in this thread is that Eminem ranges from suck to mediocre at best.

So in this case, what I feel is relatively the same as what everyone else does
People can say he sucks to mediocre but to me I think hes one of the best. Given he does make weird songs here and there but the few that stand out are the songs that I think make me like him. I always thought of him as a lyrical genius seeing as he does devote hours of his time to reading a dictionary everyday so you don't hear the same use of vocabulary every single song. Also hearing his battle/freestyles is awesome. Not too much of a huge fan of his underground stuff because in my point of view rapping about burning animals isn't right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u3JSEqNtlg

See if you guys like that song right there.
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 19:37   Link #279
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainnydaiis View Post
People can say he sucks to mediocre but to me I think hes one of the best. Given he does make weird songs here and there but the few that stand out are the songs that I think make me like him. I always thought of him as a lyrical genius seeing as he does devote hours of his time to reading a dictionary everyday so you don't hear the same use of vocabulary every single song. Also hearing his battle/freestyles is awesome. Not too much of a huge fan of his underground stuff because in my point of view rapping about burning animals isn't right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u3JSEqNtlg

See if you guys like that song right there.
Opening verse of 'Cause of Death' by Immortal Tech:

You better watch what the fuck flies outta ya mouth
Or I'ma hijack a plane and fly it into your house
Burn your apartment with your family tied to the couch
And slit your throat, so when you scream, only blood comes out. . .

Fuck you, human race!

Don't worry rainydaiis, I'm not trying to pick on you, since almost everyone(me included) is the same way for the most part. It just makes me laugh how our media morals work sometime.

Last edited by Dilla; 2009-09-08 at 20:12.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 21:32   Link #280
DeadlySoldier37
The players president

I don't like the new Rap Hip-Hop, but I do love the old school Rap Hip-Hop. Some of the best are Biggie, 2pac, Jay-Z, Bone Thugs, Dr. Dre, Big L, Big Pun, Wu-Tang Clan and my personal favorite Nas. Nas has some of the best lyrics, his lyrics can get really deep from time to time.
DeadlySoldier37 is offline   Reply With Quote