AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

View Poll Results: Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 2 4.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 29.17%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 22.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 12.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 16.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 10.42%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 4.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-07, 04:00   Link #41
Sol Falling

Heaven is a Place on Earth was my first introduction to the Hayate anime. I was extremely unimpressed. Can't Take My Eyes Off You, as my second taste, looks to be continuing that trend; there is just something about the adaptations which don't seem to remotely match up with the sensation I get from the manga.

However: are we actually certain that this new series is out of the manga continuity? It actually looks remarkably like canon to me. This new anime season isn't a reboot, it's a flashforward to September, two months (I think) ahead of where we are in the manga. Given that Hata apparently explicitly drew something like 60 page storyboards for the anime, I'm having a hard time thinking that this anime isn't a direct preview/adaptation of the post-summer period in the storyline.

Remember that Hata began the story by having Hayate meet Nagi on December 25th, Christmas, and that all the events of the story have taken place so far over the course of a carefully paced year. Things like character birthdays, etc., were all portrayed with care and significance, and seem like they will only get the chance to happen once. If I remember right, Hata stated that the Maria arc of Hayate no Gotoku is slated to happen once the story reaches the point where they reach December, which suggests that he has had really long term plans for the events and developments of the series. In general, the fact that this anime has been specifically dated suggests that it has explicit plot significance and is meant to fit into Hata's plans.

However, perhaps precisely because of that, I'm kinda getting the feeling that this anime won't do very well. Pure anime-viewers seem to be mostly lost, and the fact that Hata has tried to stuff plot as a hook for manga readers into this suggests that we won't get a lot of the aimless humour which (I assume) actually made the first seasons popular. Furthermore, as a manga reader, I have to say that the kind of schizophrenic dark and pretentious direction of this first episode simply was not very entertaining. I don't know whether they anime will have the competence/ability to portray drama as well as Hata-sensei does in the original manga, so if the plot (i.e. what this season seems to be banking on) does not do very well, they will have alienated both anime and manga audiences. If this actually comes to pass, I will be very disappointed because I am a pretty solid fan of the actual artistic vision Hata seems to have for this series.

Anyway, putting aside my disappointment in the technical quality of this anime, I will definitely be willing to stick around and see what happens. The experience of seeing a Hayate anime in full will also probably be pretty educational. From a fan perspective, the only thing I think I can say I am particularly looking forward to/hoping for is the possible appearance/introduction of A-tan.
Old 2012-10-08, 12:37   Link #42
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

That was better than I expected. I loved Nagi's monologue at the beginning, and how everything seemed to be against her. Heck, the only thing missing was a vulture keeping her company.

I also liked how both Hayate and Maria can see through Nagi's excuses, though Hayate still has no spine to truly stand up to her (you'd think the last person he'd want to have against him would be Maria).

And we've found Lady Gaga's true identity: she's actually Isumi's mother! Who'd have thought?

The kidnapping scene was good too. Nagi was totally relaxed and totally unconcerned about it, knowing Hayate would save her in the end.

Is the new girl truly Nagi's sister, or is she part of a larger conspiracy to rob her of her status and fortune (not to mention Hayate)? Time will tell, I guess.
Old 2012-10-08, 16:55   Link #43
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

After hearing that this isn't going to bother following the manga at all I'm not even going to near this, which to me sucks because I want to. Why they REFUSE to animate the best arc of this series is beyond my comprehension as a human being but the comedy (at least as anime) of this series falls flat and I don't really care for it.

I hope everyone else manages to enjoy it, I suppose we'll never see a certain other blonde haired character in this show in animated form.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2012-10-08, 20:52   Link #44
Dr. Casey

Nah, it's been confirmed that Athena will show up in Hayate no Gotoku IV (which is slated for a Spring 2014 release), Chibi. So come watch the show with the rest of us.
Old 2012-10-08, 21:01   Link #45
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Nah, it's been confirmed that Athena will show up in Hayate no Gotoku IV (which is slated for a Spring 2014 release), Chibi. So come watch the show with the rest of us.
Careful, people may take you seriously...
Old 2012-10-08, 21:15   Link #46
Dr. Casey

;_; But Chibi's a fun poster, I have to trick him into watching the new season because I can't let him take his eyes off it (See what I did there?)
Old 2012-10-09, 20:47   Link #47
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I guess the first ep didn't leave me with much of any impression - neither good or bad, just a feeling of "ok, let's see where this will go..

:-\

So, I will keep giving it a try for now.
Old 2012-10-10, 13:21   Link #48
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
You realize I'm just going come into each episode's thread and likely lambaste it week in and week out, right?

:P

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2012-10-13, 10:59   Link #49
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You.

Since it's been three years plus one more year after the last incarnation of the poor-faced butler in the anime screen and with Norio Wakamoto gone for good, then I'll do the honors to grace my post.

Little, shorty, rich girls when they get spoiled too much by their butlers tend to loaf around all day, though they frequently rationalize their behavior about being productive all day by reading manga, playing videogames, and watching TV all late into the night. However, the common people and astute viewers immediately understand that this is nothing short of an excuse for said lady to skip classes at the start of the semester.
In general terms, hikkikomori may or not tend to become NEETs, and the NEETs may or not get themselves tired of everything, including the real world as boring. Of course, her sluggish and irresponsible behavior can get exarcerbated if the lady happens to watch a nonsense TV mockumentary about Aliens and conspiracy theories. In turn, it conveniently happens that said lady receives a call from America notifying her that her fathers' belongings are going to be disposed of, if she doesn't reclaim in due time.
Again, the little devil schemes up a machiavellan plan to skip school for the rest of the semester by proposing for everyone to take a trip to the other side of the world in hopes to pay her respect towards her late but estranged father; another excuse to waste other people's time and valuable money.

To make matters worse our lady gets kidnapped, though by that point she's so used to it that the whole routine feels bland natural to her. However, the butler becomes so upset that he'll immediately give a wild goose chase to bring the captors to justice and saving his lady, but at the expense of borrowing another shorty-lady's bicycle while putting the second shorty lady through a hell of an ordeal.

But, the final insult doesn't get revealed until the cliffhanger towards the end of the episode when the second shorty lady arrives to the manor proclaiming that she's the first shorty-lady's estranged but little sister.

Thus, this gives foundation for the maid's conspiracy theory that the first lady's father held a secret affair which produced an illegitimate child that has come to reclaim what's rightfully hers including the butler.
Closed Thread