Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2015-04-23, 01:32   Link #11921
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran View Post
well, at least he took it out on his computer instead of going ramboing in the street
and shot other people to take his frustration out.

anyways, applause & kudo to him for shooting his computer 8? or was it 9 times to his
computer? who cares.

he's my new hero! i think i should bring my computer over to his house so that he can shoot
it as well when i'm frustrated with mine. what say you, man? i'll let him borrow my m-4 rifle
from the military so he can fu*k it up like a mad man. *pew pew pew*
My computer (not HD data which is the real thing we care about) is very lucky I don't drop it in a vat of concentrated NaOH....

Shooting them is too lenient sometimes
Old 2015-04-23, 05:44   Link #11922
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Well at least he didn't shoot an armadillo.
Otherwise he may have gotten his mother hurt.
Old 2015-04-23, 22:21   Link #11923
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Steam to allow Modders to charge for Mods (Starting with Skyrim)

Perhaps not big news to some... But as far as I'm concerned, this is a BAD idea a HORRIBLY BAD idea and sets a HORRIBLE future precedent. The issues this brings are up are so many it's hilarious. Ultimately I'm not against modders getting some money, but a paywall like this is NOT the way to go about it. Donations like Patreon sure, but this no.. this will have a negative effect on the modding community. Mods are already going for $1-$5 or more, if all my mods were $1 I'd have to pay an extra $60 to play Skyrim (and I can tell you some of them would not be $1). So yeah totally against this implementation of the system, modders might like it at the moment, but it will bite them in the ass later on when big companies start clamping down.

Oh, also Steam takes 75% of the profit for literally NO reason, modders get only 25%.

Some issues:
  • stealing, people taking assets from other modders
  • copyright content like all those LOTR TW mods, or Star Wars mods for Sins will start getting a lot of attention from the right holders
  • Big one for mods that use 3d assets. Lot of those assets are made using the student version of autodesk which expressly forbids monetising the creations.
  • dependencies, mods requiring other mods to work.. what if something like SKSE specifically stats it can't be used if someone wants to charge for their mods (it used to say that in its ToU but apparently changed a while back).
  • compilation packs getting a price tag... who gets the money?
  • Workshop doesn't play nice with things like Mod Organiser (which are pretty much mandatory).
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2015-04-23 at 23:06.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-24, 00:50   Link #11924
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

A day ago I read an extraordinary, poignant article by William Finnegan in the New Yorker magazine, titled "Tears of the Sun." It is about the gold rush occurring at one of the highest altitude towns on earth, the wild, polluted mining town of La Rinconada, Peru. Hearty young men and women wasted their lives away in dangerous "artisanal" mining -- a sort of freelance mining system -- in an atmosphere of frontier capitalism and desperation, poverty and hope, and the ever present fickleness of fortune.

One passage in particular contrasted the miners with the mine owners, how one of the latter the author met "didn't seem to have a trace of the desperation that makes La Rinconada run so hot." One could easily see that the mine owners, the gold smugglers, and the cantina brothel owners are the real winners of the Game.

I had no idea gold rushes take on so many forms. Bravo, Valve. Magical. Tempted modders will give you their blood and sweat, like the miners who gave their offerings to the mountain gods. Hatred and insults are already flowing, like blood sacrifices that may or may not have happened in La Rinconada. Some members of modding community will boycott it all and walk away. Others will eagerly pay for the products, oblivious to the collective responsibility or simply uncaring of the voices of concern. People tear each other apart in anger and controversy. All the while Valve and Bethesda will take the lion's share of the flow of money, and leave the scrubs to be fought over by mod team members in bitter dramas. Capital begets capital; control of distribution is the key to wealth; it is as it has always been, the great capitalist ethos. The pirates will take what they want from the shadows as always, but I fear they may find the pickings will grow slim.

The modder's utopia is so fragile, so ephemeral. Carmack and Romero gave birth to a beautiful era. GabeN, Praise Him, is trying to bring it to an end. The gold corrupts. It corrupts so beautifully indeed.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-24, 02:21   Link #11925
Jaden

It'll be interesting to see if any premium-worthy content actually gets produced as a result of this clusterfuck.

If I was a publisher and wanted modders to make premium content for my game, I'd contract the modders and not Steam.
Old 2015-04-24, 02:44   Link #11926
Mr Hat and Clogs

Well said Irenicus

The profit split is insane. Ive heard some say that Valve is paying the modders directly into their steam wallet which seems crazy, since that would be like 1700's food stamps or something. So I highly doubt thats the case, but wouldn't surprise me if it was true. The modders should stick to Patreon or something and get all the money.

A couple modders who make the resources that many mods rely on have said no to other modders using paid mods with their resources. Best example is FNIS, he totally disagrees with whats going on and has already had some mods taken down that use his stuff since none asked for his permission, most noticeable one being the fishing mod Valve used in its announcement.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

The SKSE guys have a big post about it on the Bethesda forum. Sadly they couldn't do the same as the FNIS guy, if they did that that would be 90% of Skyrim mods out.

Apparently valve are editing out any references to anyone asking for donations, even on free mods. https://imgur.com/wW5j5yu

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2015-04-24 at 02:57.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-24, 04:14   Link #11927
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

There are private mods you can download off sites and implant the file yourself.

Like the Doom 3 doublebarrel mod file.

OTOH :

SelfPwn : Ministry Hires Indian Firm To Check On Fake Degrees

And India is well known for corruption and printing fake degrees. Wut.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-24, 07:57   Link #11928
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Ooooohkay.
http://pamelageller.com/2015/04/isis...s-on-u-s.html/

So, ISIS is tweeting #WeWillBurnUSAgain showing photoshopped images of various American landmarks on fire.
But one of the images in particular caught attention.

....... has anyone bothered to point out to them that THAT'S NOT AMERICA?

That's Odaiba, Japan. HQ of Fuji TV.

OOPSY DAISY
Old 2015-04-24, 14:16   Link #11929
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
oh ISIS still exists? unless those are just their ghosts rejected for eternity from entering the afterlife due to having colons as brains
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-24, 19:23   Link #11930
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

They supposedly shot down a coalition plane a few days earlier.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-04-25, 08:50   Link #11931
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I guess we can just wait until they end up screwing themselves over.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-26, 07:51   Link #11932
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Obama pokes fun at political friends and foes at White House dinner
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0NH03120150426
Old 2015-04-26, 23:58   Link #11933
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

LOLI!

Little Maria! One of the finalists for the AKB48 draft this year is just 11 years old

If she gets in I am officially an AKB fan.

Old 2015-04-27, 00:35   Link #11934
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Don't you need to be 48 or older to join that one?
Old 2015-04-27, 07:08   Link #11935
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ That would be pretty horrifying...
Old 2015-04-27, 20:13   Link #11936
Mr Hat and Clogs

Valve Pulls the plug on Paid Mods

Well, that's gone now thankfully.

Valve Community Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valve
We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing
Noooo, really?
Old 2015-04-27, 20:25   Link #11937
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

^ good riddance. even if they somehow implement that stupid idea, I wouldn't
bother buying the mods either. hated when you installed a mod and it doesn't work
cause "blah blah blah" other mods are in the way...

and then in comes Valve and their "we'll take 75% $ of your mods!" fu*k off, dawg...

but kudo to them for removing that Paid Mods crap. it didn't even last that longer either...ha ha.
Old 2015-04-27, 20:36   Link #11938
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Don't you need to be 48 or older to join that one?
I am sure that rule doesn't matter. I look forward to handshake sessions with her- *is arrested*.

Old 2015-04-27, 20:45   Link #11939
aldw

Quote:
bother buying the mods either. hated when you installed a mod and it doesn't work

and then in comes Valve and their "we'll take 75% $ of your mods!" fu*k off, dawg...

but kudo to them for removing that Paid Mods crap. it didn't even last that longer either...ha ha.
As a wise commentator pointed, a smart business would just take the minimum amount to facilitate transactions as opposed to taking more than 2/3s majority value, of which in that case a modding group(s) would be better off doing things themselves.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 00:29   Link #11940
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

Gaben gives....and Gaben takes

Tags
humor