AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-06-26, 16:24   Link #1
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
G8/20 Summit in Toronto, Canada

Been listening/reading about it for a while now. Especially with anti-summit protesters smashing windows and all, especially on squad cars belonging to the Toronto Police force.

I don't know, but this reminds me of Singapore and some of the summits held there all of a sudden.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 16:28   Link #2
yoropa
Director

This type of protest thing happens all the time. When it was in Philadelphia (or was it Pittsburgh? One of those two) they had to do the same crowd control done in Toronto.
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 16:30   Link #3
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
One of my mates got his head hit by a protester's sign over the cries of "PIG!". The perpetrator was promptly arrested.

Its also rather inconvenient; I'm going to stay away from that part of downtown for the first half of summer.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 17:15   Link #4
Tiberium Wolf

Why not make the Summit in the ISS ? There is no protesters in space.
Old 2010-06-26, 18:18   Link #5
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Why not make the Summit in the ISS ? There is no protesters in space.
I've kind of been wondering why we need to hold it in a major urban area myself, since I'm getting the impression that we're having to pay way more for security as a result.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 18:23   Link #6
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I've kind of been wondering why we need to hold it in a major urban area myself, since I'm getting the impression that we're having to pay way more for security as a result.
Tourism, economy, etc. Civilians at the summit will pay to use the facilities at the area, thus boosting business there.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 21:24   Link #7
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Nothing will get done it never dose its just a waste of time
Old 2010-06-26, 21:25   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I can't think of a more ineffective and annoying way to affect policy in this particular instance --- sometimes protesting IS the thing to do, but this just pisses most people off at the wrong target (the protestors).

I have deep issues with the forces underlying G8/G20 but they won't get fixed by these clowns who mostly just ruin life for the wrong people.
Old 2010-06-26, 21:35   Link #9
Lost Cause

^That and the portrial by the mass media will show the protestors as a roitous mob, even if they're well organized and have a well though out complaint!
Like the Chinese curse/sayin goes "May you live in interesting times". Well we are!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 22:54   Link #10
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
This type of protest thing happens all the time. When it was in Philadelphia (or was it Pittsburgh? One of those two) they had to do the same crowd control done in Toronto.
I agree. Haven't seen "radical" protestors hitting on squad cars used by the Toronto police.

If they torched a RCMP squad car on the other hand...

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 23:18   Link #11
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I'm surprised nobody is talking about the powers that mcguinty granted the Toronto police during the summit. As I understand it from reading The Star today police can arrest anyone within a certain radius of the summit without them even having seen a crime if the person refuses to produce adequate identification or to submit to a search when requested to do so by police. Apparently somebody has already made a constitutional challenge against the order.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-06-26 at 23:28.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 02:42   Link #12
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm surprised nobody is talking about the powers that mcguinty granted the Toronto police during the summit. As I understand it from reading The Star today police can arrest anyone within a certain radius of the summit without them even having seen a crime if the person refuses to produce adequate identification or to submit to a search when requested to do so by police. Apparently somebody has already made a constitutional challenge against the order.
With so many dignitaries around, I am not surprised they enforced an "easy law" to blot all the protestors out for fear of assassination attempts.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 04:49   Link #13
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

It's always the same story since Seatle: some morons amond the manifesters start to breacks stuff ant to attack the police and the police have to make some mass arrestation because of this...
The real protestors should have understoud now than they will always be some idiots than will mix with them than just want a opportunity to breack stuff and to me mixed with those is a good way to end up arrested.
Old 2010-06-27, 07:39   Link #14
Key Board
Carbon

Perhaps the world cup might have aggravated this behavior

it's not uncommon to see someone go on a riot and destroy small businesses because their team lost in soccer
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 07:47   Link #15
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Perhaps the world cup might have aggravated this behavior

it's not uncommon to see someone go on a riot and destroy small businesses because their team lost in soccer
Good thing than we ,canadian, didn't qualified to the world cup
Seriously, I doubt than they needed that excuse for breacking stuff...
Old 2010-06-27, 09:43   Link #16
sergho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Good thing than we ,canadian, didn't qualified to the world cup
Seriously, I doubt than they needed that excuse for breacking stuff...
I've always wanted to throw a trashcan through a store front window.
sergho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 10:32   Link #17
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergho View Post
I've always wanted to throw a trashcan through a store front window.
That probably the same kind of ''wish'' than those idiots had even before going to the manifestations, even though some of them might be more organised.
Old 2010-06-27, 11:26   Link #18
Silver Dragon
SHOW DOWN
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Silver Dragon
Most people don't need an excuse, they just do it for the hell of it.
Silver Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 14:43   Link #19
qwertyuiopz

they are so stupid :@:@ dont they realize that the repair bill is going straight to tax?
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 14:52   Link #20
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
I have a huge urge to buy a durian and throw it at some of the protesters, but that would be a waste of a durian. Watching on the local news, it seems like there's been arrests made, but generally the police won't be bothering peaceful assembly, I know some of my friends who went down town to just take photos; up close too!

But I agree, there's alot of people hiding inside the crowds of peaceful protesters just to start up shit. They don't realize that the only thing that they're destroying is their message.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote