AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-07-22, 15:18   Link #1
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Sangatsu no Lion (March Lion) manga by Umino Chika

Sangatsu no Lion 三月のライオン
("March Comes in Like a Lion")
by Umino Chika 羽海野チカ (Honey & Clover)

Young Animal ヤングアニマル magazine
first chapter 13 July 2007

The title is literally "March Lion," but the official translation is "March Comes in Like a Lion." The story is about a 17-year-old pro chess player (not go, but shogi, the East Asian version of Western-style chess). He is called Rei, or "Zero." He lives alone, has no family or friends, and does not go to school. But he has some kind of relationship with a family consisting of a young woman (Akari), two young girls (Hinata and Momo) and several cats.

Young Animal is a seinen magazine and has featured such manga as Ai yori Aoshi, Air Master, Futari Ecchi, Kimi Kiss, and Chokotto Sister. The manga does not give furigana.

The first chapter worked a bit of Umino magic on me, so that I cared about the characters by the end. The drawing is real Umino style, and the people kept reminding me of people in H&C. And there are echoes of some of her themes, with Rei reminding me of the young genius Morita, and Hinata, who seems around ten or twelve and looks a bit like Hagu, having special feelings for him of some kind. And just because of the drawing, I couldn't help thinking of Ayu when I saw "Akari-neesan."

Umino Chika:
ANN
Manganews.net
Wikipedia (English)
Wikipedia (Japanese)

EDIT: I have changed the title of the post (and hopefully the thread) to "March Lion" from "Sangatsu no Lion." I think it works better in English, and I see this title used for raws.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-08-28 at 15:47. Reason: improve title translation
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 10:53   Link #2
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I wish someone translated or scanlated this one ... D:

I've been a fan of Umino Chika since H&C ...

Woah, does that chick look like Ayu. With boobs. o.o
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-03, 12:21   Link #3
desi09
Sono un cattivo perdente.

Hmm... looks good I can't wait for the scanlations!!
desi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-03, 16:47   Link #4
tritoch

*dies*

gah. Umino sure has a very distinct drawing style.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 06:19   Link #5
jonli
JONLIの憂'

March Comes In Like A Lion

I'm sorry if this is already posted, I searched for it but I can't seem to find another thread about this manga.

I was wondering if any of you have read this manga before? It's written and drawn by Umino Chica (author of Honey and Clover). So far I've read up to the 11th chapter and it's pretty interesting. It's like a mix of Honey and Clover and Hikaru no Go (without Sai).

Discuss...?
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 07:28   Link #6
ZODDGUTS

I wonder if Rei will get romanticlly involve with either the older sister or the younger sister? It's a bit hard to pinpoint if Rei would be willing to be with her that way looks like right now she's just close friend though he's said to himself that she is indeed attractive. The younger sister seems a bit young maybe 13 years old? so not sure if that can happen not a big age difference they would be 4 years apart since he's 17.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 12:49   Link #7
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
I wonder if Rei will get romanticlly involve with either the older sister or the younger sister? It's a bit hard to pinpoint if Rei would be willing to be with her that way looks like right now she's just close friend though he's said to himself that she is indeed attractive. The younger sister seems a bit young maybe 13 years old? so not sure if that can happen not a big age difference they would be 4 years apart since he's 17.
All I can say is Hagu was 18 at the start of the series not to mention how old she was at the end...

edit: Just read to chapter 6. The feel is awesome. I want more, but in this hard world I can do nothing more. :<

Last edited by 2H-Dragon; 2008-03-24 at 13:29.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 10:16   Link #8
jonli
JONLIの憂'

How often is March Lion released? It doenst feel as frequent as honey and clover...
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 21:14   Link #9
mit7059

Does anyone have any new news on the status of this series? I just read the first six chapters from Mikazuki Scanlations and I'm hooked, there hasn't been a release is more than a year, does anyone know if Mikazuki or anyone else is planning on continuing this series? I really hope so, its already reminding me of H&C.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 05:35   Link #10
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Umino Chika proves yet again that she's a great artist. I've read until ch9 and all I can say is that this manga is amazing.

Yes, Shogi is an element, but not as big as go in Hikaru no Go. Also, Kiriyama's talent is an element, but is not dealed with the same way in Honey & Clover's Hagu and Morita. I think March Lion is a distinctive manga even though it reminds you of other titles.

As a person who lost her mother recently, I relate so much with it. I actually ended up crying after Ch6 and Ch9.

And, as a shoujo follower, I keep checking vibes on who's Kiriyama's love interest. Overall, I like it a lot and can't wait for more. Or an anime adaption! I keep hearing Kamiya Hiroshi (Honey & Clover's Takemoto seiyuu) whenever I read Kiriyama's monolouges.
Old 2009-08-28, 08:57   Link #11
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
And, as a shoujo follower, I keep checking vibes on who's Kiriyama's love interest. Overall, I like it a lot and can't wait for more. Or an anime adaption! I keep hearing Kamiya Hiroshi (Honey & Clover's Takemoto seiyuu) whenever I read Kiriyama's monolouges.
As someone who really likes romance, I'm searching for love a interests 2. To be honest I don't think it's one of the 3 girls. They have a good family thing going on.

I keep thinking what the deal is with that woman that was on top of Rei and said "I love you." I'm thinking she's his sister Kyoko(you know he got adopted in a family). Wondering why Rei is getting hate from his siblings next from his talent.
Old 2009-08-30, 04:43   Link #12
mit7059

I'm so glad someone is finally scanlating this! Just read chapters 7-9 and was amazed. I can't wait for more, if it keeps going like this 3gatsu might challenge H&C as my favorite manga/anime, Umino Chika is quickly becoming my favorite mangaka

Old 2009-08-30, 10:55   Link #13
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
I keep thinking what the deal is with that woman that was on top of Rei and said "I love you." I'm thinking she's his sister Kyoko(you know he got adopted in a family). Wondering why Rei is getting hate from his siblings next from his talent.
He's adopted?! I love incest, but he seemed scorned by the memory.

Yes, eventually the series might end with no one in a relationship with another like H&C, but I have hope. Akari is too old for him, so she's out. So it's a tie between the younger sisters Hina and Momo.

Anyway, guess it's still too early. I'd like to mention that I love the first pages of each chapter in which it follow the group's date, it's cute. Reminds me of NANA's manga covers. <3
Old 2009-09-14, 07:11   Link #14
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Spoiler for Chapter 10:

Have to say still a Rei x Kyoko pairing seems the most interesting to me. Though it does seem impossible.
Old 2009-09-15, 06:14   Link #15
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^
Spoiler for ch 10:

I personally feel like the sad and gentle undertones work very well. It would be strange if such a delicate and sensitive soul as the main character would not act and feel as he does. He's no shonen baseball manga protagonist after all.

Though of course, I do hope that we're being thrown in the middle of the story here to witness his healing and growth, all thanks to Akari nee-sama and her lovely sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith

Yes, eventually the series might end with no one in a relationship with another like H&C, but I have hope. Akari is too old for him, so she's out. So it's a tie between the younger sisters Hina and Momo.
I wouldn't say "scorned" as much as "tormented," which might not be such a bad thing if you want angsty, steamy love affairs.

Also, Momo!? No way, that's far out of the realm of possibility. I wouldn't completely cut out Akari (isn't Kyoko also older?) but it does have that family vibe going between them, like a warm big sister taking care of a younger brother who admires her. Hina on the other hand is at just that age where things are starting to get interesting, and her first love thing is already finished in one epic chapter. To Akari he's a delicate "stray" young man who probably evoked her caring instincts; to Momo he's a "big brother." Who is he to Hina? There's no answer yet of course, but you know...

And yes, if Kyoko would get back into the story's present time, that would be awesome. I wouldn't bet on it for a while yet, though.

[/also searching for hints of romance]
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 15:50   Link #16
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
^
Spoiler for ch 10:

I personally feel like the sad and gentle undertones work very well. It would be strange if such a delicate and sensitive soul as the main character would not act and feel as he does. He's no shonen baseball manga protagonist after all.
Spoiler for chapter 10:
Old 2009-09-15, 16:17   Link #17
ZODDGUTS

Well there seem more going on with he's adopted sister.

Spoiler for future ch spoiler:

So Rei has more issues with he's siblings than you think.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 17:14   Link #18
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Well there seem more going on with he's adopted sister.

Spoiler for future ch spoiler:

So Rei has more issues with he's siblings than you think.
Spoiler for future chaps:
Old 2009-09-21, 02:56   Link #19
mit7059

Didn't read the last two spoilers, so this has nothing to do with that. I really don't think Akari is out at all, do we even know her age? I was thinking she was like 20 or 21. His adopted sister is what, 4 years older? That would put her at 21 so I don't think thats an issue. At the same time though I don't think romance is the focus here and I don't really think any will develop. Umino Chika tackled unrequited love in H&C and I think this will be her stab at the importance of family.

Old 2009-10-20, 02:31   Link #20
mit7059

Does anyone know the status of the next volume? I really hope BWY and SCX haven't dropped it...

Tags
seinen, shogi