AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2014-01-11, 18:06   Link #1
AnimeFan188

Windows 10

"Rumor has it Windows 9 (codenamed "Threshold") will be revealed at BUILD 2014,
with a target delivery date in April 2015."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/rumor-has-it-wind...-be-1499362307

&

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/th...hip-april-2015

Quote:

"Windows 8 is tanking harder than Microsoft is comfortable discussing in public, and the
latest release, Windows 8.1, which is a substantial and free upgrade with major
improvements over the original release, is in use on less than 25 million PCs at the
moment. That's a disaster, and Threshold needs to strike a better balance between
meeting the needs of over a billion traditional PC users while enticing users to adopt this
new Windows on new types of personal computing devices. In short, it needs to be
everything that Windows 8 is not."
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 18:39   Link #2
monster

I wish it could've been released this year to replace my parents' XP computer in April. Oh well, 8.1 with Update 1 will have to do.

I wonder if 9 will also be a free upgrade to 8.1 or if Microsoft is really counting it as a separate OS to get away from 8.x.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 19:09   Link #3
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I wish it could've been released this year to replace my parents' XP computer in April. Oh well, 8.1 with Update 1 will have to do.

I wonder if 9 will also be a free upgrade to 8.1 or if Microsoft is really counting it as a separate OS to get away from 8.x.
From the Windows Supersite article in the OP:

"To distance itself from the Windows 8 debacle, Microsoft is currently planning to
drop the Windows 8 name and brand this next release as Windows 9. That could
change, but that's the current thinking."

There's also this:

"In some ways, the most interesting thing about Threshold is how it recasts
Windows 8 as the next Vista. It's an acknowledgment that what came before didn't
work, and didn't resonate with customers. And though Microsoft will always be able
to claim that Windows 9 wouldn't have been possible without the important
foundational work they had done first with Windows 8—just as was the case with
Windows 7 and Windows Vista—there's no way to sugarcoat this. Windows 8 has
set back Microsoft, and Windows, by years, and possibly for good."
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 19:13   Link #4
monster

I realized that part about the name. I just wonder if that separation extends to the operating system itself such that you have to pay to upgrade from 8.1.
Old 2014-01-11, 23:56   Link #5
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

They got it so right with Windows 7. Hopefully Windows 9 will be like Windows 7 but better.

Windows 8 was really bad for them. One way it was bad is that Valve chose Linux over Windows for Steam Machines because Windows 8 turned out so bad.
Old 2014-01-12, 00:10   Link #6
Vezon

Windows 8 looked awkward on a computer. I wouldn't mind another copy of window 7. But I do admit Window 8 on a phone is pretty nice!
Old 2014-01-12, 00:33   Link #7
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Windows 8 was really bad for them. One way it was bad is that Valve chose Linux over Windows for Steam Machines because Windows 8 turned out so bad.
Steam machines has nothing to do with any version of Windows.
Old 2014-01-14, 04:59   Link #8
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

^ that what he meant to say.

get rid of the metro interface and bring back the start menu with good app compatibility and I'm sold.

Last edited by Kimidori; 2014-01-30 at 06:29.
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-14, 05:29   Link #9
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

There's a rumor according to which W9 will use portions of code from one of Microsoft's internal projects, called Midori, which is an experimental, managed code-based OS. Apparently, MS wants to use the Midori bits to make the OS more cloud-compatible, have its ecosystem move beyond Java and provide a counterweight to Google's Golang project.

As to whether MS will actually start cannibalizing Midori, I don't know...I'm not sure it's even mature enough but it could an interesting idea, security wise since reportedly Midori uses sandbox-based execution that would make it more secure than Windows.
Old 2014-01-14, 09:30   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334
There's a rumor according to which W9 will use portions of code from one of Microsoft's internal projects, called Midori, which is an experimental, managed code-based OS
Because in terms of speed windows wasn't slow enough as-is compared to every other OS......... If MS actually produced a managed code OS I wouldn't be suprised to see "What? Doesn't everyone have 64gb of RAM? Well for all of you with ram problems we have Windows Vista Windows 7"

[edit] For anyone interested, the BUILD conference will be in April 2-4
Old 2014-01-14, 09:53   Link #11
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Seems like Microsoft is keeping the tradition of producing a lacking OS and a good OS afterward.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-14, 10:41   Link #12
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Because in terms of speed windows wasn't slow enough as-is compared to every other OS......... If MS actually produced a managed code OS I wouldn't be suprised to see "What? Doesn't everyone have 64gb of RAM? Well for all of you with ram problems we have Windows Vista Windows 7"
Well, Midori is more like a "let's see if it's possible" project more than anything else, like a guinea pig never really meant to be let out of the lab. If MS ever uses part of Midori's source code to build W9, I imagine it'll be as an addition to the .NET Framework or for peripheral libraries, while the kernel itself remains written and compiled in pure C/C++ to preserve and maximize performance.

The managed code would be more useful for network- or cloud-based computing (though the Windows Server line might be more interested in this, rather than the regular Windows); MS claims the Midori language (actual codename unknown) is far more performant than Java because it has better-thought routines such as garbage collecting and memory management, but the Midori OS itself is so shrouded in secrecy it's hard to say whether its source code is mature enough and ripe for cannibalizing/porting.
Old 2014-01-14, 11:40   Link #13
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
MS claims the Midori language (actual codename unknown) is far more performant than Java because it has better-thought routines such as garbage collecting and memory management
Seems like a fools quest in search of a magical silver bullet. I like to think that things that are "broken" always get fixed eventually; so it reasons to assume that if so and such shortcomings are there after so much time has passed (ie. bloated gui applications among other things) then the communities (or at least majority there of) they generate simply don't have the perspective that said shortcomings are wrong (or are of sufficient importance). And if the community doesn't see/change-it then it doesn't matter what the platform does.
Old 2014-01-14, 14:22   Link #14
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Well, Midori is more like a "let's see if it's possible" project more than anything else...

... MS claims the Midori language (actual codename unknown) is far more performant than Java because it has better-thought routines such as garbage collecting and memory management, but the Midori OS itself is so shrouded in secrecy it's hard to say whether its source code is mature enough and ripe for cannibalizing/porting.
See these 2 parts? MS trying to make consumers to eat frogs again. I guess this one going to be a fail too.
Old 2014-01-14, 14:29   Link #15
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

As far as I know, Midori is not meant to be commercialized. It's more of a conceptual project aimed at determining whether it is possible to build an OS entirely written in managed code. My guess is that it'll be discussed at a developers conference some day or another to showcase "avant-garde" architectures and then quietly shelved.

But as I said previously, I think the Midori code, provided it performs as advertised, might be more interesting for the Windows Server family rather than the regular Windows line.
Old 2014-01-14, 15:54   Link #16
Tiberium Wolf

I meant more the part where MS forces on us something untested. These days so many things are forced on us without asking if we like or want it.
Old 2014-01-14, 20:55   Link #17
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I meant more the part where MS forces on us something untested. These days so many things are forced on us without asking if we like or want it.
Oh they dont need to ask actually...

(they know we don't want them; it's just in their interest to force us to use them)
Old 2014-01-14, 23:44   Link #18
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Because in terms of speed windows wasn't slow enough as-is compared to every other OS.
It shouldn't be if it's on a machine that meets the hardware requirements, unless there is malware or other misbehaving programs.
Old 2014-01-22, 04:08   Link #19
dsp2003

Still using XP and 2k3 Server, plus Debian Linux with XFCE which mimics classic Windows 9x/2k. Guess why.
dsp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 00:44   Link #20
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp2003 View Post
Still using XP and 2k3 Server, plus Debian Linux with XFCE which mimics classic Windows 9x/2k. Guess why.
Because the hardware is not broken yet....

From the past discussion, people already display their sentiment in patterns.

The pattern is:
Windows 95: Crap
Windows NT 4.0: Good
Windows 98: Crap
Winodws 2000: Good
Windows Me: Crap
Windows XP: Good
Windows Vista: Crap
Windows 7: Good
Windows 8: Crap
Windows 9: Looking forward to it
Windows 10: Avoid it

Both users and MS have learned some lessons. If you have extra money, it's still worthwhile to try out new features. The next release will fix annoying features. It's same as Smartphone with or without "S" mark.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote