AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-10, 18:39   Link #1
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sand Chronicles

Anyone out there following this one? Only two volumes released in English so far, but I'm liking it a lot. I'm not a huge fan of shoujo manga in general, but a really good one (BGI comes to mind) can be a nice change of pace. I'm enjoying the artwork and pacing of this one, and the trio of main characters are well-developed and quite believable. Is it groundbreaking? No - but entertaining and involving, and I can see the beginnings of a pretty competitive love triangle developing. Fuji or Daigo isn't quite Take vs. Yano yet, but it has potential.

And BTW - Fuji. No doubt about it.
Old 2008-05-22, 13:20   Link #2
Nervous Venus

I'm surprised nobody replied to this thread yet though. It was one of the better series out of BETSUCOMI.

I actually followed both BGI and Sunadokei - Sand's Chronicles in the monthly comics at the same time but was following Sunadokei more religiously than the other, which is getting way too draggy. The male leads in Sunadokei have more redeeming qualities, and in a way, are more realistic than Yano and Takeuchi imo. There's also a tv drama out that ran on NHK, but they hacked up the plot quite a bit. Also their faces (with the exception of grown up daigo and an) did not really look like what I imagined the characters to look like.

I bought the volumes in Japanese and it's already finished its run ages ago and ended at a nice 10 volumes, so not too much filler. Also we get two bonus story arcs involving their mothers (an's, daigo's, and fuji's) at the end, and then involving the intended couple at the end of the story and their struggle through trials after finally getting into a relationship.

But I wont' spoil that for you. : )
Old 2008-05-26, 01:48   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I appreciate the non-spoilage! I was surprised at the lack of replies, too - I hope that doesn't mean no one's reading the translated manga.

I get the feeling, based on two volumes, that we're supposed to think of An/Daigo as a foregone conclusion - but also that the manga-ka has planted some subtle foreshadowings that there might be more to it than that.
Old 2008-05-26, 03:28   Link #4
Sokar

what does BGI stand for?
Old 2008-05-26, 11:54   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Bokura Ga Ita
Old 2008-05-26, 15:00   Link #6
yongshun

I got the first volume and enjoyed it. It was an unusual start for me already telling me the pairing didn't last and that she was leaving japan at that.
Old 2008-05-27, 12:16   Link #7
Nervous Venus

An isn't leaving Japan, she's just moving cities to live with her father. For the Japanese, a few hours away is like a thousand miles, so it's a pretty big deal for her to move.

Enzo - You're right about the foreshadowings. : )

Also, do you know how much has been scanlated? I don't want to discuss material that's not out yet.
Old 2008-05-27, 23:32   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
An isn't leaving Japan, she's just moving cities to live with her father. For the Japanese, a few hours away is like a thousand miles, so it's a pretty big deal for her to move.

Enzo - You're right about the foreshadowings. : )

Also, do you know how much has been scanlated? I don't want to discuss material that's not out yet.
As far as I know, this is one of those rare occasions when the translated publication is ahead of the scanlations. V2 was released a bit ago, and as far as I know nothing has been scanlated since sometime last year and that was part of V2.

An/Fuji all the way!!
Old 2008-07-28, 15:02   Link #9
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Just bumping this thread to see how far others have gotten on this series. I'm up to volume three from scanlations, but I'm already frantic to see how this one ends.

Although I like Daigo, I have to admit to being very intrigued with Fuji...

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Old 2008-07-28, 15:23   Link #10
Nervous Venus

I finished the series a year or so ago. I think it finished it's run in 2005/2006. I can't remember. I'll have to dig through my stack of old Betsucomi issues. Good news for English readers. The series is licensed by Shoujo Beat.

So no more scanlations will be coming out after v.3.
Old 2008-07-28, 15:24   Link #11
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

lol..I Didn't Know There is Thread For The Manga ...anyway I Really Liked It ..
I Like Daigo Character ..
and Ann/Daigo All The Way

Can't Wait To See The other Chapters ^_^
Old 2008-07-30, 20:36   Link #12
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Fuji all the way!

Spoiler for drama spoiler:
Old 2008-07-30, 21:40   Link #13
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamiel View Post
Fuji all the way!
He's never gonna win. Shoujo manga-ka are all evil like that. You know how it goes, geeks, even princely ones like Fuji, never wins the girl. Ever.

I wonder how Cat Street ended? As usual, there's the hot-blooded prince and there's the genius guy. And, as usual, the genius guy seems far behind despite the manga having emphasized an immediate connection between him and the heroine. And this despite it (and its H&C-ish characters) being far more appealing than your average fare.

*sigh*
Old 2008-07-31, 16:02   Link #14
Nervous Venus

Actually Fuji
Spoiler:
. You'll be surprised. Sunadokei has a very good, realistic outcome, though the road there was pretty painful to watch.

Also Fuji was never a geek. Popular in shoujodom = brains + good looks + good upbringing + is a "bocchama",
whereas brains where I live = geek. He also hangs out with other bishounen, though they really don't matter.

I'm glad he's a far cry from those other archetypes, even if he has the same qualities.

I'm also glad Ashihara Hinako did not write the typical good girl vs evil girl plot. I'm tired of there being some wicked girl (well there is the D cup girl, but she's important later on and is also not as bad as she seemed at first) who is out to ruin everything in the main character's life, and somehow ends up redeeming her bad ways or suffering some miserable ending :/
Old 2008-08-03, 19:16   Link #15
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
Actually Fuji
Spoiler:
. You'll be surprised. Sunadokei has a very good, realistic outcome, though the road there was pretty painful to watch.
I meant
Spoiler for .:
Old 2008-08-03, 23:34   Link #16
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Have only read through officially released Vol 2, and so far Fuji looks look a long-shot to say the least. But IMO, Fuji all the way.
Old 2008-08-04, 12:25   Link #17
Nervous Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamiel View Post
I meant
Spoiler for .:
Spoiler for only read this if you dare, it's a big spoiler:

Their relationship is probably causes me some of the most painful emotions in Sunadokei, because they are such good friends, and what happens just - well - it was really emotional.

I will admit I'm a Daigo fan, but Fuji is just as appealing as a character.
Old 2008-08-04, 16:34   Link #18
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:

Their relationship is probably causes me some of the most painful emotions in Sunadokei, because they are such good friends, and what happens just - well - it was really emotional.

Oh i know
Spoiler for drama:
Old 2008-08-04, 20:18   Link #19
solarknight123

Quote:

So how come in the manga
Spoiler for Manga:

Normally i wouldn't ask but i don't know when onemanga will have the rest of the chapters up
Old 2008-08-06, 00:41   Link #20
Nervous Venus

solar, the rest of the manga can't be put on onemanga, as Sunadokei is licensed in America.

If you'd like a spoiler than read here, but only if you like being spoiled (I do. I still get emotional knowing how the story ends). The spoiler covers up to v 5, though if you'd like more, just give me a heads up

Spoiler:

This is just up to v.5. I think it's best to wait for the real deal. So much more went on than I wrote. It really is a very emotional manga, and my crappy summary doesn't do it justice