AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-12-02, 11:32   Link #1
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

New video API for nVidia cards under *nix

This looks interesting, though it still sounds pretty beta...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123091

"Some highlights of VDPAU:

* Defines an API for GPU-accelerated decode of MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.264, and VC-1 bitstreams.
* Defines an API for post-processing of decoded video, including temporal and spatial deinterlacing, inverse telecine, and noise reduction.
* Defines an API for timestamp-based presentation of final video frames.
* Defines an API for compositing sub-picture, on-screen display, and other UI elements."

They've also written patches for ffmpeg and mplayer to take advantage of the new driver's features.

It looks like the driver supports all 8xxx, 9xxx and 200 series adapters. Won't help my ancient 6600, of course, but there are lots of inexpensive compatible nVidia cards like this one.
Old 2008-12-03, 09:17   Link #2
Miles Teg

I have only try with H264 and the patched mplayer haven't be able to play a single fansub.

But when the video is ok then the CPU really go to 0% and even 1080P is ok with a lowly 8500GT.
Old 2008-12-05, 07:59   Link #3
Miles Teg

I have done more test (only for h264) this time with the 180.11 video driver and the latest patch for mplayer.

For the test I have use an opening that I have re-encoded while trying to use the same options that are used by fansuber, the results are :

Everything that has more than 4 reference frame won't play, this problem should be resolved with the next driver (full support of level 4.1).

If b_pyramid is used the video "stutter" (freeze, go back, play normally, freeze...).

When the video is ok, mplayer is at 2% and Xorg at 13%, when the same file is played without vdpau mplayer is between 10% and 80% (for a 1080p video).