AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-08, 15:07   Link #1121
Once and Current Subber

It's one thing to say "Nanoha has a bit of an SRW feel to it"; another to say that it was intentional homage. I don't think it quite rises to that level, myself.

There's plenty of VAs who sound similar in multiple roles. Heck, some of them make a profession of it. (Norio Wakamoto! Though he's got range, he's got his "I am a smirking badass" voice that keeps cropping up.

I'd say Fate isn't a direct rip of Zengar so much as they're both feeding from a lot of the same inspiration. Admittedly, nobody does the big sword better than Zengar...
Old 2009-03-08, 15:19   Link #1122
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
It seems to have come full circle with SRW Z (so they say, it could just be a coincidence)
I think it is. I'm not seeing any resemblance besides "big pink beams of doom" which is too generic to call it an homage.

Now this on the other hand... fast forward to 5:54. I dare you to tell me that's not a Nanoha shoutout

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2009-03-08, 15:28   Link #1123
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Nanoha does have a large amount of homages (Sonic Mode's purge? Blaster Bits?), though to say they were present from the very beginning is a stretch. Season 1's so-called 'mecha homages' are vague and debatable to say the least.

Also, Comar? Obvious shoutout is obvious.
Old 2009-03-08, 15:33   Link #1124
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_notADV View Post
Admittedly, nobody does the big sword better than Zengar...
I beg to differ and I say, Guts from Berserk.
Old 2009-03-08, 19:07   Link #1125
Once and Current Subber

Well, if you're talking sword-you're-holding-in-your-hands, then of course nobody does it better than Guts. But size does matter at some point, no? Zengar cuts battleships in half with that thing.

Getting off-topic, now.
Old 2009-03-08, 20:29   Link #1126
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gespenst View Post
Also, how did you forget Signum? Since she is Lamia Loveless.
I did lol, check post #1116.

I also wrote an essay on Nanoha and SRW in the Seitenkan group's Nanoha thread.

Balgora Glory lacks a gun that actually talks, which we become more like an actual reference.

Quote:
I'd say Fate isn't a direct rip of Zengar so much as they're both feeding from a lot of the same inspiration. Admittedly, nobody does the big sword better than Zengar...
She isn't a rip, but a reference.

The way the hilt is formed, the sword materialises and extends, is exactly the same for both Zankantou and Zanber.

Zengar shouts Japanese idioms because he's trained as a Samurai, despite being German. Fate has no reason to shout Japanese idioms, but she did anyway. And not just any idiom, she shouts the exact stuff Zengar shouts, 'Shippu Jinrai!', the first time she activated Zanber Form back in A's episode 11.

And who does the big sword best, its a matter of fandom, practically every SRW fan sees Zengar as the top man of the series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-03-09, 00:17   Link #1127
Ryand-Smith
Mecha Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Ryand-Smith Send a message via MSN to Ryand-Smith
Quote:
It's one thing to say "Nanoha has a bit of an SRW feel to it"; another to say that it was intentional homage. I don't think it quite rises to that level, myself.

There's plenty of VAs who sound similar in multiple roles. Heck, some of them make a profession of it. (Norio Wakamoto! Though he's got range, he's got his "I am a smirking badass" voice that keeps cropping up.

I keep saying Fate is Deathcythe hell, and Nanoha is Wing Zero, damnit!

But yeah, Japan loves Same VA Jokes, they build entire series around that (Ribbons in 00)
Old 2009-03-09, 00:21   Link #1128
Tormenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryand-Smith View Post
But yeah, Japan loves Same VA Jokes, they build entire series around that (Ribbons in 00)
*facepalms*

I do hope that was a joke as well.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Old 2009-03-09, 01:01   Link #1129
Ryand-Smith
Mecha Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Ryand-Smith Send a message via MSN to Ryand-Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
*facepalms*

I do hope that was a joke as well.
Not to turn this into 00, but they used a lot of Tōru_Furuya's (as Amuro)old lines "I am the best pilot for Gundam", etc in 00, but another better example is Hayate the Combat Butler, with CYBORG BUTLER who pretty much is Nobuyuki Hiyama replaying Gai/Viral for laughs, but Hayate is a joke series, going off topic now!
Old 2009-03-09, 01:57   Link #1130
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I also wrote an essay on Nanoha and SRW in the Seitenkan group's Nanoha thread.
Off topic, but what in the name of shit are you doing?

Old 2009-03-09, 11:15   Link #1131
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Homages and inside VA jokes aren't that unusual in anime (or even live-action works). Plus as the creator of the series he can sneak in whatever stuff he can get away with . Hell, there are some series out there that are nothing but parodies of other sources and inside jokes (Gintama anyone?).
Old 2009-03-09, 20:46   Link #1132
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quick question. What was the incantation Nanoha says in first season before she starlight breaker's Fate...

I can't remember the english trans...
Old 2009-03-09, 21:03   Link #1133
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

It doesn't seem like she had an actual incantation. Rather, she just snapped it off after tanking a Photon Lancer Phalanx Shift from Fate then blasting a Divine Buster. According to my subs from long ago...

"See if you can take this variation on my Divine Buster."

[insert charging scene]

"This is my ultimate strength... it's everything I got! STARLIGHT BREAKER!"

Pink, beam, doom, etc.
Old 2009-03-09, 23:32   Link #1134
Aaron008R

The one who had the incantation was Reinforce in A's when she used her version Starlight Breaker.

I think it's Traid's sub...

"I summon the light of destruction down upon my prisoners."

"Stars, gather... and become the light that pierces everything."

"Tear through everything in a blaze of light."

"Starlight Breaker."

As far as I know, the only thing that stays consistent before the firing of Starlight Breaker in Nanoha's case is her, "ZENRYOKU ZENKAI!!!" which I think would hardly qualify as any sort of incantation. XD It's more of a habit of hers than anything substantial to casting a spell.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Old 2009-03-09, 23:50   Link #1135
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I have another question, how can they takeover an entire universe in this show? How is this even possible?
Old 2009-03-10, 01:40   Link #1136
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

The answers gonna be as trivial as the situation is, and taking over an entire multiverse is trivializing the world.

And so, I can only say we have no idea. It's hinted by canon to be due to some really extreme circumstance like extinction, and it is the reason for the ban of scientific warfare technology.
Old 2009-03-12, 22:10   Link #1137
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Does Nanoha have a messiah complex?
Old 2009-03-12, 23:27   Link #1138
Once and Current Subber

They don't take over "whole dimensions", if you mean "every last object in them". Honestly, we don't even know that the TSAB has "conventional" interplanetary space travel (that is, not traveling between dimensions). On the other hand, if hundreds, thousands, or an infinite number of planets may be reached by cruising for a little while through dimensional space, why bother with the long route?

Does Nanoha have a Messiah complex? Maybe a little. By adulthood, she really does have the idea that she and her close friends have the power to "save" the world. On the other hand, that's "save" it from actual threats/invasion/things they can make go boom, not "from itself" or anything metaphysical like that.
Old 2009-03-13, 11:05   Link #1139
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

There may be a chance that Nanoha's decisions will be more Vivio-centric as time goes by.

Either along the lines of:

Nanoha: "Let's end this quick, shall we, gentlemen? My daughter's waiting for me." *charges SLB*

Or:

Nanoha: "If Vivio's not going to be happy in this world, I don't really need it any more...."

Signature by liro
Old 2009-03-13, 11:11   Link #1140
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Nanoha: "If Vivio's not going to be happy in this world, I don't really need it any more...."
Cue Dark Nanoha, angst, berserker rage and pretty explosions.

Closed Thread