AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-02-14, 18:44   Link #41
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
To get back a full stock of magic (say, curaga)
1) Draw from a draw-point ---> stupid since it takes time to recharge after just ONE draw.
2) Draw from monsters.
3) Mod cards, which also means it takes time to collect the cards as well.

+ The fact that you take some time (considering all 3 of your chosen chars needing to restock it) to draw a stock of 100.

And guess what? after a few hours, you have to do it again! Wow, I'm so thrilled.
You left out the easiest way to get magic without drawing, refining cards and item. Since curuga could be gotten by refining 1 tent/cottage easily purchase and stock to 100, it wasn't that much of a hassel to draw magic. Well I played many RPG before and FFVIII was so long ago so I try to include most of the abriviation such as MP/SP ( in some game sp could be use as a mana/magic).
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 10:53   Link #42
Bastion
Tokyo Rose

Send a message via AIM to Bastion Send a message via MSN to Bastion Send a message via Yahoo to Bastion
... ..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimePlus
I really love Final Fantasy VIII, it was the first RPG I ever played. The setting was what really made me love this game, I mean it's so cool. The whole environment is very realistic and believable, but everyone says FFVII is better for some reason. I'll take Squall over Cloud any day!
Final Fantasy VIII was my first RPG as well. It is what drew me in to playing RPGs in general. Squall was just.. too cool...
Did you ever fight Omega Weapon..? That guy is a pain in the arse..
Bastion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 09:43   Link #43
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion
Final Fantasy VIII was my first RPG as well. It is what drew me in to playing RPGs in general. Squall was just.. too cool...
Did you ever fight Omega Weapon..? That guy is a pain in the arse..
Nah, he was easy. Killed him in one holy war without using lionheart. I would've got trashed without the Gilgamesh card, though.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 03:41   Link #44
Wakoeme
spring time of life

Send a message via AIM to Wakoeme
i've seen alot of people griping about how monsters level up with you. but this isnt the first final fantasy game to do that. final fantasy tactics did it and many many people loved that game. i loved this game myself, but its my third favriote FF game in the series, FF7 and FFT come before it. i had no problem with the drawing of magic or junctions or anything, the junctions just made the game more complicated and i liked that. how ever, i have a few major gripes about the game. first off is its almost linear dungens. i dont remember finding a single dead end or alternate route in any of them, you start at one point, theres one path to follow, nothing to deture you and you end up at the same spot. the only two dungens i recall having to actualy make you think were the dungen where you have to get that students id number so you can get into the mansion, and the other was the last dungen. second off, invincibilty items.... worst thing to ever put into a game simple as that. another thing, squall. what squar tried to do was to duplicate cloud. yes cloud was moody and dark, but he kept to himself, you as the player dont know whats with him till a good portion through the game. but with squall, yes it was a good attempt to recreate cloud, but in the end he just turned out, dare i say it, EMO! but on a whole the game is great. but through the game it you can see where the series as a whole is going. FF7, and from what i understand FF6 were fairly dark games. FF8 retains alot of dark motifs, but is more happy and on a very lighter note, from the story down to the monster and world design. you see the series get more happy in FF9, and even more so in FF10, and FF10-2 was just what would happen if the spice girls came back and made a game, GIRL POWER! but hopefuly with FF12 the series will be going back to darker themes. and from what i've read the developers understand that their fans really like the darker games, they really wanted to go back to their roots and make happy games much like the original games where.
Wakoeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 13:19   Link #45
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Which is why FFXII got a 10 in the Famitsu magazine... must be going back to their "dark" roots.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 14:28   Link #46
Asuka Shinn
Leng Jai

Final Fantasy VIII has got to be the worst FF I've ever played. Mainly due to its battle system. The whole draw system idea is pretty retarded imo. Leveling up is absolutely pretty much useless. The GF idea is got to be the reason why I didn't take a liking to the battle system. The constant tapping of the square button got annoying real fast. Plus the limit break system is pretty broken. Once you got enough Aura, all you have to do is just keep using Squall's Lion Heart and Zell's ARMAGEDDON FIST (aka "Choukyu Bushin Hakken" - Super Ultimate War God Breaking Punch) and you're all set.

Last edited by Asuka Shinn; 2006-03-20 at 01:08.
Asuka Shinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 19:06   Link #47
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

True, I think in terms of pure damage you can do in Final Fantasy's is prolly the eighth game, where both Squall and Zell can deal over 100,000 damage in no sweat. Not even Cloud or Knights of the Round can do that. FFVI's Terra/Locke only dealt maximum 9999 damage per term.

Aura is too cheap. And getting 9999 hp on the first CD doesn't help either.

Old 2006-03-19, 22:27   Link #48
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
Aura is too cheap. And getting 9999 hp on the first CD doesn't help either.
Nor does getting Zell's ultimate weapon (on the first disc). Heh.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 22:35   Link #49
Js2756
Thread Killer

Just to add my two cents to this topic, FF8 is only the second mainline final fantasy that I have not finished (FF2 Japan being the first). The reason was, I was just turned off by the rampant amount of summoning you have to do in the early game. It is also my second least favourite FF.

With regards to it being broken, every FF since FFVI has something broken in it. I sometimes yearn that Square go back to something like FFV that really requires careful party planning.

Most underrated FF is FFX-2 only because of how good the battle system is (albeit, still broken). There hasn't been a system this good since FFV (which had the best battle system, imo). If it weren't for the crappy story and characters, FFX-2 would probably be one of the best FFs in the series.
Js2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 01:53   Link #50
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
True, I think in terms of pure damage you can do in Final Fantasy's is prolly the eighth game, where both Squall and Zell can deal over 100,000 damage in no sweat. Not even Cloud or Knights of the Round can do that. FFVI's Terra/Locke only dealt maximum 9999 damage per term.
Knights of the Round does well over 100,000 damage, doesn't it? ~ 13 hits at 9999 a time does around 130,000. Omnislash must also be approaching around 100,000 at full power too. Omnislash can't be spammed like Aura can, but KotR can. Especially with Mime.
Ryuu-Odjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 02:06   Link #51
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-Odjn
Knights of the Round does well over 100,000 damage, doesn't it? ~ 13 hits at 9999 a time does around 130,000. Omnislash must also be approaching around 100,000 at full power too. Omnislash can't be spammed like Aura can, but KotR can. Especially with Mime.
Squall's Lionheart can do about 17 x 9999 of damage. And I'm just talking about the Lionheart itself (ie, the finishing move if you get it) Squall's Renzokuken alone can do about the same amount of damage as Knights of Round. And it's not that hard or long to cycle through to Squall. Don't know about the Armageddon Fist, never really tried it, I just let the AI deal with Duel.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 03:00   Link #52
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756
Just to add my two cents to this topic, FF8 is only the second mainline final fantasy that I have not finished (FF2 Japan being the first). The reason was, I was just turned off by the rampant amount of summoning you have to do in the early game. It is also my second least favourite FF.

With regards to it being broken, every FF since FFVI has something broken in it. I sometimes yearn that Square go back to something like FFV that really requires careful party planning.

Most underrated FF is FFX-2 only because of how good the battle system is (albeit, still broken). There hasn't been a system this good since FFV (which had the best battle system, imo). If it weren't for the crappy story and characters, FFX-2 would probably be one of the best FFs in the series.
Well FF IX is the most unbroken since there isn't any combo trance except grand leathal which deals a maximun of 3 hits.

Now as to why people complain so much about FF VIII, like other Fantasy it's not so bad, FFX with Waka overdrive can deal more damage than squall lionheart with a damage limit remove it was 99,999 mutiple by 20+ hit or something. To me you have gain enough power to defeat the game with ease when you have two-third gone into the story, back to FF VIII i don't see how people could do squall lioheart dealing perfect 9999 damage unless you never level up once and the monster you killed were weak as chicken. Also not all 9999 perfect damage can be achieve at disc one, you had to wait until disc two at least before you could get stronger spells and GF to junction more.

Also if you truely played FF 8 to its limit you would have level yourself to 99 and taken the challenge even if you had an arsenal of good stats. it was near impossible taking on omega weapon when he was at 99.

EDITED*** some roman numeral mistake, i was in a rush so i didn't read over

Last edited by Nemuru; 2006-03-20 at 03:53.
Old 2006-03-20, 03:06   Link #53
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru
it was near impossible taking on omega weapon when he was at 99.
From what I've been told, Omega Weapon is always at level 100 no matter the level of your characters. But when I fought him, all of my characters, except for Rinoa (who I kept at 99 for the purpose of Angel Wing), were all at level 100. Even then, Omega Weapon is only tough if you can't figure out his pattern of attack during the battle.

By the way, you're messing up with the FF numbers. XIII should be VIII, etc.
Old 2006-03-20, 03:57   Link #54
Nemuru

I remember at level 99, omega mediocre flame ( can't remember name) would always do 9999 damage all my character even with 230+ spirit( I believe it was the mdef for FF VIII) being no elemental damage it would always finish me off regardless of my hp cap at 9999. The only tatics left were going invinceble mode or play random slot game with selphie and get "THE END" limit break.
Old 2006-03-20, 04:02   Link #55
monster

You could also try blocking with your GF or use the ability "Defend".
Old 2006-03-20, 04:17   Link #56
yanmato91
nRgy

Send a message via MSN to yanmato91
Final Fantasy 8 Was One of the best out of the FF series. Very enjoyable Game play and a fantastic story line. The only one that sort of compares with it to me, is ffx becoz of the great story line in that as well. Using Melle Was also good, and putting spells to increase your Hp, Atck etc was very good coz it made u go back and draw more spells....and you could easily get them from Hell or heaven? and level up on a level 100 monster tehre?...Even if you dont like the idea, if you do a right set of spells on each, every time you get hit you heal. So its fantastic
yanmato91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 05:07   Link #57
maohayato
Evil God

in ff8 the level cap is level 100 for your party, not level 99. imagine level 100 party(no death resistance) and a monster that casts level5 death, yup thats what happens.

and for the final fantasy tactics ppl loving fft even with monster leveling, its because when you get cid it doesn't matter what the level is of the monster. Cid makes fft too easy.
maohayato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 05:17   Link #58
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maohayato
imagine level 100 party(no death resistance) and a monster that casts level5 death, yup thats what happens.
That's why you can always junction 100 Death spells to your status defense stat.
Old 2006-03-20, 19:48   Link #59
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Yeah, but who actually remembers to do that? I want my Ribbons back!

Junctioning Ultima to Squall's strength was truly hacked though.

Old 2006-03-20, 20:28   Link #60
yanmato91
nRgy

Send a message via MSN to yanmato91
yeah, ultima > squalls strength was like cheating....it really made it easy....and then all u had to do to smash everyone, was Aura, Renzuokouken (forgot how to spell)..............Did anyone no about Hell and Heaven ?
yanmato91 is offline   Reply With Quote