AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-22, 07:38   Link #19761
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Analysis: Land grab or development opportunity?

Your opinion?
Old 2012-02-22, 11:32   Link #19762
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I'll go pick a few defence stocks.*sarcastic*

PRC NUS scholar gets away with only an apology for calling Singaporean "dogs".

I don't want to be a Singaporean anymore.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-02-22, 13:36   Link #19763
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Singapore is not alone. Just few weeks ago there was an outrage in Hong Kong over a Beijing University prof calling HKers dogs.

And HK has to endure 1050340x more shit from China than Singapore.
Old 2012-02-22, 22:31   Link #19764
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
I thought under the Westminister Statute you guys are still considered to be under Queen Liz as a constitutional monarchy, so you guys only do so when the Brits asked.
While the British crown remains our head of state, that's pretty much a figurehead role. Westminister actually reduced British control over Canada by taking away their ability to legislate for us, except in regards to the Canadian constitution, because the Canadian federal government and provinces couldn't agree about the constitution. They didn't sign off of on the constitution until we got an agreement worked out in 1982. The Canadian constitution actually comes in two parts, 1867 and 1982.

Canada *used* to be closely aligned with Britain - in fact, there were Canadian politicians who opposed our stance on the Suez Crisis in 1956 because they thought we should have stood behind Britain. Over time we've shifted to being closely aligned with the US though.

Quote:
Pearson signed the Canada-United States Automotive Agreement (or Auto Pact) in January 1965, and unemployment fell to its lowest rate in over a decade.[9] While in office, Pearson declined U.S. requests to send Canadian combat troops into the Vietnam War. Pearson spoke at Temple University in Philadelphia on 2 April 1965, while visiting the United States and voiced his support for a pause in the American bombing of North Vietnam, so that a diplomatic solution to the crisis may unfold. To the Johnson administration, this criticism of American foreign policy on US soil was an intolerable sin. Before Pearson had finished his speech, he was summoned to Camp David to meet with Johnson the next day. Johnson, who was notorious for his personal touch in politics, reportedly grabbed Pearson by the lapels and shouted, "Don't you come into my living room and piss on my rug."[10][11] Pearson later recounted that the meeting was acrimonious, but insisted the two parted cordially. After this incident, LBJ and Pearson did have further contacts, including two further meetings together, both times in Canada[12] as the U.S. relied on Canada's raw materials and resources to fuel and sustain its efforts in the Vietnam War.[13] Elderly Canadians often remember the Pearson years as a time Canada-U.S. relations greatly improved
...with occassional bumps along the way (taken from the Wikipeda article on Lester B Pearson, our 14th Prime Minister).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2012-02-22, 23:04   Link #19765
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:

"The scholar later corrected himself, saying he was referring to Koreans in Cat Shit One."

That makes me wonder what animals Singaporians would be represenred in that comic
I would guess along with Malaysians, tigers.

Last edited by aohige; 2012-02-23 at 00:35.
Old 2012-02-23, 04:35   Link #19766
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Taliban urge Afghans to kill "invaders" amid violent protests
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...81K09T20120223
Here they go agains...
Old 2012-02-23, 08:34   Link #19767
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Singapore is not alone. Just few weeks ago there was an outrage in Hong Kong over a Beijing University prof calling HKers dogs.

And HK has to endure 1050340x more shit from China than Singapore.
No offense though, I think the administrators of HK made pretty ugly yet pragmatic choices to avoid ending up like Tibet. Being a SAR doesn't mean that they are not part of China - they are considered to be part of China just with self-government.

Of course, the HK-ers are generally pissed as they tend to find interacting with mainlanders to be a nightmare. I wonder if this will make them push for independence in the next two decades or so if the mainlanders don't change their attitudes as to "a Chinese who doesn't act like us is a Western dog".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
"The scholar later corrected himself, saying he was referring to Koreans in Cat Shit One."
The only thing he knows how to do is to suck up to interviewers and memorise equations and numbers, can he even beat a Bronze League Korean in Starcraft?

Quote:
That makes me wonder what animals Singaporians would be represenred in that comic
I would guess along with Malaysians, tigers.
"Singa" means lion in Malay, but I am more inclined to think of this :

*sarcastic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
While the British crown remains our head of state, that's pretty much a figurehead role. Westminister actually reduced British control over Canada by taking away their ability to legislate for us, except in regards to the Canadian constitution, because the Canadian federal government and provinces couldn't agree about the constitution. They didn't sign off of on the constitution until we got an agreement worked out in 1982. The Canadian constitution actually comes in two parts, 1867 and 1982.

Canada *used* to be closely aligned with Britain - in fact, there were Canadian politicians who opposed our stance on the Suez Crisis in 1956 because they thought we should have stood behind Britain. Over time we've shifted to being closely aligned with the US though.

...with occassional bumps along the way (taken from the Wikipeda article on Lester B Pearson, our 14th Prime Minister).
What really disturbs me is that the Canadians doesn't seem to like the Americans, other than their supply of state-of-art weaponry at discount prices and NORAD, which keeps the entire North American continent safe from Communists. A couple of Canadians on holiday I once chatted with at work told us that even some of the Americans prefer to pass themselves off as Canadians due to the way their government handles politics.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-02-23, 10:43   Link #19768
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Strange sounds coming from the skies all over the world, a hoax?

Well guys, do you remember that early last year we were reading reports thousands of birds and fish showing up dead for no apparent reason at all?

Well now there is something even more freaky going on, and just like the last time it is being reported all over the world: Strange sounds coming from the skies.

Is this some kind of massive hoax?

http://kissfm969.com/strange-noise-o...marillo-texas/

To me it sounds like striders from Half life 2 or the War of the worlds movie

Maybe it is the earth crying after having to withstand all those crazy Republican debates
Old 2012-02-23, 10:59   Link #19769
Jaden

Yeah I looked into that a while back, I think it's a rare event caused by solar flares or drifting of the magnetic poles. Not exactly new, but more people are carrying around recording devices these days. Or it could also be some kind of troll that some people perpetrated online, those sounds seem more synthesized than random/natural
Old 2012-02-23, 11:01   Link #19770
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Viral marketing campaign obviously.
For some game or movie.
Old 2012-02-23, 11:04   Link #19771
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Check out this report on the sounds:

Renowned Geophysicist Says Strange Sky Sounds Are Real

Old 2012-02-23, 11:16   Link #19772
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Well guys, do you remember that early last year we were reading reports thousands of birds and fish showing up dead for no apparent reason at all?

Well now there is something even more freaky going on, and just like the last time it is being reported all over the world: Strange sounds coming from the skies.

Is this some kind of massive hoax?

http://kissfm969.com/strange-noise-o...marillo-texas/

To me it sounds like striders from Half life 2 or the War of the worlds movie

Maybe it is the earth crying after having to withstand all those crazy Republican debates
I'm pretty sure the sounds of the first two vids are this

Old 2012-02-23, 11:20   Link #19773
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post

I KNEW IT! The GOP finally managed to piss Gozilla off

This video felt very "real".
Old 2012-02-23, 11:50   Link #19774
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Viral marketing campaign obviously.
For some game or movie.
Quote:

So basically it's a well developed viral marketing ploy for the new Godzilla movie by Legendary Pictures?
Old 2012-02-23, 11:52   Link #19775
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Uh, the hell?

About four nights ago I heard wierd roaring sounds like that at work during a graveyard shift.
It was just me and a Chinese co-worker in the office, we thought it was just airplane but it sounded more low pitch and weird revibrating sound sorta like one of these videos.

I for one, welcome our new Godzilla overlord.
Old 2012-02-23, 11:59   Link #19776
Xagzan

Quote:
I KNEW IT! The GOP finally managed to piss Gozilla off
Well, Godzilla was first and foremost a symbol of the dangers of the atomic age, and now you have the GOP basically going "Bomb Iran," (and John McCain practically making a jingle out of it a couple of years ago) so I could see that

Quote:

This video felt very "real".
Ok see, now I'm not going to be able to avoid comparing these weird sky sounds to which kaiju roars they sound like. That sounds quite like this one, by the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
So basically it's a well developed viral marketing ploy for the new Godzilla movie by Legendary Pictures?
Oh crap, I forgot all about that movie. I haven't heard any news of it in a long time. Time to go digging!
Old 2012-02-23, 12:01   Link #19777
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Strange. I felt something yesterday that seemed like little earthquakes, but didn't quite feel right. I was assuming it was the cat shifting on the bed.
Old 2012-02-23, 12:18   Link #19778
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:

Ok see, now I'm not going to be able to avoid comparing these weird sky sounds to which kaiju roars they sound like. That sounds quite like this one, by the way

You sir have failed to compare those sounds accurately! They actually sound more like this:

Old 2012-02-23, 12:24   Link #19779
Xagzan

Quote:
You sir have failed to compare those sounds accurately! They actually sound more like this:

Oh, well sure it sounds more like that! But my area of knowledge is kaiju films, not Tom Cruise movies

(still think it also sounds like the lower half of Ghidorah's roar, though, heh)
Old 2012-02-23, 13:20   Link #19780
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
What really disturbs me is that the Canadians doesn't seem to like the Americans, other than their supply of state-of-art weaponry at discount prices and NORAD, which keeps the entire North American continent safe from Communists. A couple of Canadians on holiday I once chatted with at work told us that even some of the Americans prefer to pass themselves off as Canadians due to the way their government handles politics.
One of the thing with the Canadians/Americans ''relationship'' is then the US is so close and so big than there's a fear of assimilation, especialy in the ROC. And I fear than one day we have to pass ourself of as something else given than we are loosing much of our international good reputation accumulated since WW2 because of Harper's politic.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international