AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad series - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 280 64.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 22.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 7.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 2.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.16%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-07-24, 00:18   Link #141
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Maybe they wanted it that way, so as to kind of jerk the audience back to reality?
I doubt that. Torch was kind of poppy and it really threw off the vibe of the ending scene. Either way, did it bother you at all? Or you didn't mind? I mean, it didn't bother me as much when I first saw it but after I re-watched it a couple of times, I see why some people felt that it was out of place.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 00:25   Link #142
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

lol.

I haven't watched After Story yet, I just know from the game.

Although I have listened to Torch on youtube, and I can hear (lol) why people think that it was out of place.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 00:32   Link #143
DeX-kun

Quote:
lol.

I haven't watched After Story yet, I just know from the game.

Although I have listened to Torch on youtube, and I can hear (lol) why people think that it was out of place.
Oh wow, you should have told me that I was talking to you thinking you've seen After Story. Well as long as you like Nagisa I think you'll enjoy the anime so much more There are some that didn't like Nagisa (for reasons that are beyond me) and didn't enjoy After Story.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-07-24, 00:36   Link #144
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Lol.

After Story is just a natural extension of the story...

And the relationship growth between the 2 is great in the first series, there's not that much depth that can be given with any other heroine really.

I mean, if the personality isn't fitting, well she's a lot bolder with Tomoya eventually, (watched the scene where Nagisa announced they were having sex on Youtube, lols) and that GROWTH is what makes their relationship special.
Old 2009-07-24, 00:45   Link #145
DeX-kun

Quote:
Lol.

After Story is just a natural extension of the story...

And the relationship growth between the 2 is great in the first series, there's not that much depth that can be given with any other heroine really.

I mean, if the personality isn't fitting, well she's a lot bolder with Tomoya eventually, (watched the scene where Nagisa announced they were having sex on Youtube, lols) and that GROWTH is what makes their relationship special.
Shh, don't tell anyone but I'm a huge Nagisa fan I definitely do agree with you on all accounts. I figure it's the personality that some don't enjoy but it's on the contrary for me. What I found most appealing was the will within Nagisa to keep going and stay with Tomoya through thick and thin. That's what I respected the most about her and how understanding she was.

Although you've already played the game, you shouldn't spoil yourself with youtube videos <_< (The onii-chan scene was hilarious though, never get tired of that ) Luckily I was never exposed to anything about Clannad, I just one day decided to watch Clannad and boy, what a ride that was

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2009-07-24 at 01:03.
Old 2009-07-24, 00:49   Link #146
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

lol.

The game itself sometimes makes better scenes than the anime and vice versa.
Old 2009-07-24, 01:04   Link #147
DeX-kun

Quote:
lol.

The game itself sometimes makes better scenes than the anime and vice versa.
Yeah, that will usually happen with all anime. I'm planning on getting the game myself but I'm still recovering from watching the anime

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-07-24, 02:24   Link #148
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

lol.

I got my gf the anime and game, she's watched the anime, but now I'm wondering whether to just import my saves onto my new comp (which I'm using) or just playing through again with her lol.
Old 2009-07-24, 04:43   Link #149
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Again, that's not the point. I never responded to that quote, I began a discussion with you on your response after that one. Also when I began talking about specific elements I had thought that the genre talk was dropped because I've been making general statements about solely genre's. Hence your quote.
Like I said, what you quoted was me still talking about specific elements. I only brought in genre's to prove my point about specific elements. I was still on the subject of specific elements. So in effect you did respond to quote even if you think you didn't.

Quote:
I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I'm just pointing out that you've misunderstood me from the beginning. You're implying that I was being specific about genre's when I wasn't, I was merely referring to them as descriptions. I got more specific when you began speaking of character development and such so I figured the whole genre talk was discarded.
Okay this I don't understand at all. What do you mean when you say you weren't being specific about genre's? You said:

Quote:
I'm strictly speaking of genres.
Now apparently I misconstrued that and I think I can see that now but i just don't understand what.

Quote:
If that's your point then I disagree here. The show's purpose was not defeated by realism. The show's purpose was largely family and hope, correct? Well the miracle gave Tomoya the opportunity to turn away from Nagisa and hope that she never suffers again or talk to her and take the risk of facing adversity again. Tomoya chose the latter so this is where your fantasy element (now I'm being specific and I hope we're on the same page) helps provide your character development. Without the miracle, Tomoya still regrets ever meeting Nagisa. Hence why he cries every time he thinks of her.
Okay I have a lot to say here but I think it's best if I take it one at a time.

Actually the miracle occured AFTER all that development occured.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 11:49   Link #150
FhnuZoag

Quote:
Shoulda used another variant of Nagisa lol.
Well, not that. 'The dango song' had enormous significance by the end of the series, and using it again would dilute its impact when you hear it again. Still, there's other options: personally, I think something like a slower vocal version of Country Train or the later part of Hitohira no Sakura would have worked well.

Then again, maybe that'd have caused people to start killing themselves in eps 17 and 21.
FhnuZoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 12:22   Link #151
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Now apparently I misconstrued that and I think I can see that now but i just don't understand what.
We've just misunderstood each other, simple as that. I didn't really want to continue all the genre talk because I had a feeling it would lead to arguing semantics and it seems like it did happen. I've said this before but I never disagreed with your point about realistic messages being conveyed through fantasy elements. I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Okay I have a lot to say here but I think it's best if I take it one at a time.

Actually the miracle occured AFTER all that development occured.
You can share your opinion as to what you figure the other development was because from what I saw, Tomoya had been resentful of ever meeting Nagisa during the time he spent before the miracle had occurred. Then once the miracle kicked in and Tomoya had to make a choice, that's when he realized that he didn't regret meeting Nagisa. Yes, you said that his self-realization was about family but his realization about Nagisa didn't occur until he was thrown into the miracle. It's a message about decisions. Instead, Tomoya should have realized how happy he made her by being with her and how much she really did enjoy their life together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FhnuZoag View Post
Well, not that. 'The dango song' had enormous significance by the end of the series, and using it again would dilute its impact when you hear it again. Still, there's other options: personally, I think something like a slower vocal version of Country Train or the later part of Hitohira no Sakura would have worked well.

Then again, maybe that'd have caused people to start killing themselves in eps 17 and 21.
No, no,no. Although when I saw Nagisa's death, my jaw just dropped on the floor. I was in denial until about 5 minutes into episode 17 (Mind you, I never played the game and I didn't know anything regarding Clannad.)

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2009-07-24 at 13:21.
Old 2009-07-24, 23:15   Link #152
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Shh, don't tell anyone but I'm a huge Nagisa fan I definitely do agree with you on all accounts. I figure it's the personality that some don't enjoy but it's on the contrary for me. What I found most appealing was the will within Nagisa to keep going and stay with Tomoya through thick and thin. That's what I respected the most about her and how understanding she was.
I just find the relationship growth, and I'm also a Nagisa fan too lol.
Old 2009-07-25, 23:16   Link #153
Gibber

This was one of my first anime that I watched that wasn't shounen and thank god I'm opened to more stuff like this now. Even though I finished the series like a month ago, I still can't get it out of my head lol.

I do wish I had watched the anime first and then play the visual novel. Nagisa's and Ushio's death bombed me in the VN and when I saw it in the anime, I was just crushed again. Torch didn't really bother me, I actually like the song.
Gibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 00:16   Link #154
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
This was one of my first anime that I watched that wasn't shounen and thank god I'm opened to more stuff like this now. Even though I finished the series like a month ago, I still can't get it out of my head lol.
If you can't get Clannad out of your head then that means you need your fix Just re-watch Clannad again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
I do wish I had watched the anime first and then play the visual novel. Nagisa's and Ushio's death bombed me in the VN and when I saw it in the anime, I was just crushed again. Torch didn't really bother me, I actually like the song.
I guess I should appreciate the fact that I knew nothing of Clannad before watching it Because all of the powerful emotional scenes really did a number on me

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-07-26, 23:41   Link #155
Gibber

Quote:
If you can't get Clannad out of your head then that means you need your fix Just re-watch Clannad again

I guess I should appreciate the fact that I knew nothing of Clannad before watching it Because all of the powerful emotional scenes really did a number on me
I'd love to rewatch Clannad if only I wasn't trying to watch 10 other animes lol.

Yeah, it did bother me a bit when I went like "Oh wait, what about X scene in the VN, why isn't it in the anime etc" but like I probably rambled on before, some scenes were just beautifully captured. Most people usually hate VN to anime adaptations (though there are some bad ones) but Clannad was definitely good (well not if you're not a big Nagisa fan).
Gibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 00:08   Link #156
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Well if you weren't, even the VN wouldn't have done it for you either. At least, if I was a Kyou fan and I knew After Story was focused on Nagisa, I wouldn't be completely satisfied with only the route (which I guess is why there's a fan made one)
Old 2009-07-27, 05:09   Link #157
Akka

Doh, I can't believe I hadn't still voted.

Let's keep it simple : Clannad is one of the very, very best series I've ever seen. The mood is masterfully done, with humour, emotion and sadness interwined and not clashing, the animation and drawing are excellent, and the cast is one of the best - nearly all the characters feels like real persons you would like to have as friends.
The first season is fun, even hilarious at time, with its cute moments of emotion.
The second season has its fun too, but has a darker tone and the second part is simply gut-wrenching. If you don't cry in this show, you don't have a soul (or malfunctionning lacrymal canals).

Even now, several months later, just looking at the opening theme make me cry :-/

I give it a well-deserved 9, which is really a tremendously good rating in my views.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 19:03   Link #158
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Being a person that laughs through most "dramatic" moments because most series fall flat when they try to be serious (lol Evangelion), I still thought a few places in this series was really touching even when I was pretty sure what was gonna happen.

But Chiisana Tenohira really takes the cake. The scene right before with the lights outside the window and when they start singing the Dango song well... not sure what could ever beat that. Hell, just bringing it up makes me want to go watch it again.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 22:38   Link #159
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Being a person that laughs through most "dramatic" moments because most series fall flat when they try to be serious (lol Evangelion), I still thought a few places in this series was really touching even when I was pretty sure what was gonna happen.

But Chiisana Tenohira really takes the cake. The scene right before with the lights outside the window and when they start singing the Dango song well... not sure what could ever beat that. Hell, just bringing it up makes me want to go watch it again.
That really is the strong point about this series. No matter what you think of this series, whether you hate it or love it, it'll leave a lasting impression. I have a lot of memories from this series and I try to hold back as long as I can but I end up re-watching the whole series because I want to experience it again

Tomoya singing the Dango song was such a touching moment because I remember his first reaction when he heard Nagisa sing it for the first time, it made him sick. But after her death, Tomoya really valued that song so much more.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-07-28, 12:32   Link #160
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
You can share your opinion as to what you figure the other development was because from what I saw, Tomoya had been resentful of ever meeting Nagisa during the time he spent before the miracle had occurred. Then once the miracle kicked in and Tomoya had to make a choice, that's when he realized that he didn't regret meeting Nagisa. Yes, you said that his self-realization was about family but his realization about Nagisa didn't occur until he was thrown into the miracle. It's a message about decisions. Instead, Tomoya should have realized how happy he made her by being with her and how much she really did enjoy their life together.
You know what I can sort of see where you're coming from.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote