AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 31 40.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 28.95%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 13.16%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 10.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.95%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.32%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.32%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-09, 07:42   Link #41
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by yFANTgirl View Post
Watching this episode right after reading a few chapters of War and Peace I suddenly realized how shallow and simplistic anime characters actually are. Other than that, this episode made me seriously dislike Winry, I spent the whole time going "Arghhh, just shoot him already!".
If Winry had shot Scar there would have been no difference between them. Killing him would have been the easy escape. Killing for revenge is not the best option, it does not justify the act of killing. that's why Winry's decision is not as shallow as you think.
Old 2009-09-09, 16:12   Link #42
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Duckroll's plan is a success. Everyone likes the episode.

Excellent one indeed. One of the many gripe with the previous version of FMA was that there weren't any significant development between Winry and Ed to highlight their relationship. This single episode has done way way more than an entire season worth of 52 episodes were able to do. I've always felt Wiry's importance in the series was downlplayed. Considering she is one of the inspirational figure for Ed, never understood as to why her screentime was lacking. Anyway, as a fan of her character, absolutely loved the drama. Action is nice and all, but a good mixture of drama can enhance an episode marginally more.

One of the other thing about the previous version of FMA was how it was so difficult to sympathize with the antagonist. This isn't the case here. Scar's background exploration proves it. Yes, certainly it can be argued that he is going about it the wrong way, but the argument won't go anywhere if a parallel list for what he and his country has gone through in the hands of those who waged such war. I can't help but sympathize with Scar. This show is doing a lot of good things. I admit that it took me about 15 episodes to get warm up to the content, however, I'm all warmed up now as the new material are being animated which is following the events of the past seamlessly.

The other great thing about this version of this show that it is not pondering on despondency longer than it is needed. Considering the content, it's so easy to be drowned in gloom if the moments linger on as we found out in the previous version of FMA.

Excellent episode!
Old 2009-09-09, 16:19   Link #43
Kirarakim

Finally watched the episode I actually was pretty pleased with this episode. I always get ready to be disappointed in what they cut out but it doesn't seem they cut out anything signifigant this time around. They did move up the stuff with Scar & his brother and that seemed to work.

I do have mixed opinions about the blue eyed amestrians. Visually it definitely worked to explain why Scar killed Winry's parents. But then that part seems to signify that Amestrians are represented by blue eyes (like all the Ishbalans have red eyes). But my problem with this is its been shown that the Amestrians are not all blue eyed. Ah well a minor issue.

Also from reading the chapter I never thought Winry was sobbing that hard at the end. But that's just a different interpretation I guess.
Old 2009-09-10, 12:41   Link #44
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I think the blue eyes/blonde hair deal is supposed to bring up memories of Nazi Germany and draw the connections between the two. When I read the manga the first time I actually assumed after a few things like that that the story was set in an alternative Germany and that seems to be true.

This episode really hit me in a way the first season didn't. The first season had all the action but this one has the underlying drama and conflicts which makes it so much deeper. Like the Scar subplot is being fleshed out so much better here and it's the subplots that make a story work (IMO).
Now, more Ling fighting action next week please? And I forgot, did La Fan (er, the ninja girl?) go down that fast in the manga? I remember that she was pretty seriously wounded but I thought that she helped fight as well.
Old 2009-09-10, 13:05   Link #45
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

The answer to your question would invite a host of spoilers, so it's better to wait and see.

Now, this was one fine episode. I don't even care about the cuts anymore, this series is making me happy all the same, nonetheless. Great drama and action.

Old 2009-09-10, 13:13   Link #46
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
And I forgot, did La Fan (er, the ninja girl?) go down that fast in the manga? I remember that she was pretty seriously wounded but I thought that she helped fight as well.
She did fight pretty well... in a fight that was cut out.
Old 2009-09-10, 13:33   Link #47
Charred Knight

Can anyone tell me in a series rushed as it is that we wasted like 30 seconds on a recap for an episode that happened last week? Getting rid of the recap and having the dialouge of Ling vs Bradley in it's original form would have improved that scene greatly.

Please tell me that they are not going to ignore most of the Ishval massacre flashback because why in the hell are Armstrong, Mustang, and Grand attacking the portion of Ishval Scar is in? Also Scar's brother was miscast with Takehito Koyasu. Yeah, I know his in pratically every anime series, but you don't need to throw him in just to have him in your series. His voice was far too badass sounding to be a bookworm.

Last edited by Charred Knight; 2009-09-10 at 13:52.
Old 2009-09-10, 13:57   Link #48
Vicious108

But in the end he was a badass bookworm.
Old 2009-09-10, 14:00   Link #49
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
But in the end he was a badass bookworm.
Exactly. In the end, it worked out quite well having Koyasu voicing him.
Old 2009-09-10, 16:16   Link #50
pulpwin
マギ

Ep. 22 was solid. Action, while there wasn't much of it, it was suffice for a set piece episode. Quite well paced scenes, and as usual the dialogue was substantial. Uninterupted Fuhrer vs. Ling should be enjoyable, so I hope we get that. I wish Gluttony was more relevant, at the moment he just isn't getting enough screen time, dialogue, or relevance to the story. I would have thought he would've become more involved and voiced once Lust died, whereby he should have been more emotionally expressed, which just hasn't happened.
Old 2009-09-10, 16:31   Link #51
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced View Post
I wish Gluttony was more relevant, at the moment he just isn't getting enough screen time, dialogue, or relevance to the story. I would have thought he would've become more involved and voiced once Lust died, whereby he should have been more emotionally expressed, which just hasn't happened.
Oh, you'll see in a few episodes....
Old 2009-09-11, 00:38   Link #52
OkamiNoKaze

Great episode loved the fight between Bradley and Ling, glad there's more of it next week. Scars flashback was interesting, nice touch with blue eye thing, I got that Nazi allusion too, I think it would have been interesting if the Istvalans had red eyes in the flash backs. The blue eyes also kind of reminded me of Dune. By the name of the next episode, maybe we will see the little girl, or that could refer to Winry.
Old 2009-09-11, 09:02   Link #53
tieria.erde
T-chan fan

i can sympathies with Scar

reminds me of how iraqis, afghans and palestinians are treated.
Old 2009-09-11, 10:09   Link #54
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
By the name of the next episode, maybe we will see the little girl, or that could refer to Winry.
Or to Ran Fan.
Old 2009-09-11, 10:59   Link #55
Bea Rabbit
Stained Member
*Graphic Designer

Its great about the real scar life about
(duh I dun watch the previous series)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieria.erde View Post

Yeah I agreed with you..

But I wanna know more about Ling and Lan fan's fight against Bradley.. T_T
Old 2009-09-11, 11:11   Link #56
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieria.erde View Post

We I think of it at times, I see how the world of FMA and ours match...
The author interpreted our situation in her own way. Fiction is inspired from reality.
Old 2009-09-11, 22:43   Link #57
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Reminds me of Yoda's saying about anger.

"Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-09-12, 09:25   Link #58
Kanish

I thought it was a fantastic episode. It did a beautiful job of showing the horrors of war. Sucks that Kimbly had no dialogue, but his kick-ass transmutation(the likes of which I haven't seen in the first series) more than made up for it.

Definitely another victory for the second series over the first. I had my doubts about how well Winry would confront the killer of her parents in this series in comparison to the first one but they actually pulled it off in a way that was far superior to the first. Having Roy as the killer only came of as being awkward.
Old 2009-09-12, 10:47   Link #59
Sannom

Okay, first let's say what I disliked :

--- Scar's brother scream before everything went KABOOM. Sounded... ridiculous? Out of place? Over the top? Your pick.

--- As a manga reader, I was somehow ticked by the fact that they put Scar's flashback right here. It distracted me from the drama Winry was living. And by that point, we shouldn't be that knowledgeable about Scar I think, we should still think of him as a bastard, with some hints here and there to show us that what he lived was NOT pretty.

Second, let's say what I really liked that was added for the anime :

--- the Rockbell actually tending to Scar's wounds personnaly so that he had a shot of their eyes and hair, and uncounsciously linking them to the soldiers that attacked his village. And then when he discovers his new arm, he completely freaks out and can only think of one thing : there are enemies nearby, in the room.

--- the Kimblee shot when Scar was about to kill Scar. He saw his brother in Ed and Kimblee in him. Scar just saw what kinf of monster he was. He knew he was one before, but now he knows that he is the same kind of monster that destroyed his people.

The, let me finish with this :

Quote:
But speaking of screams, Scar's VA did a really good job this episode.
Indead. The way he talked after waking up, as if he had some kind of paste in his mouth, with words full of hate and resentment, was superb. The scene asked for good acting, and he delivered quite well.
Old 2009-09-12, 11:04   Link #60
Kanish

I also initially felt the flashback felt kinda abrupt especially when Scar had no dialogue whatsoever in the previous episode or the fact that he wasn't in some kind of crisis situation that would warrant a flashback. But when it got to the whole empathizing point when Scar puts himself in Winry's shoes, it all made sense.
Closed Thread