AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

View Poll Results: Darker Than Black II - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 9 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 16.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 30.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 16.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.78%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-31, 12:31   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Darker Than Black II - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of Darker Than Black II ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about the DVD only footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting

• Which kind of footage (DVD only) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun
Old 2010-08-08, 20:18   Link #2
Crontica

Animation Quality: 5

They could have done a whole lot more with the animation but their laziness showed more than it should.

Voice Actors: 10

Didn't have problem with the voice acting didn't even notice

Plot: 0

Mann this was a grave disappointment at times there wasn't even a plot

Soundtrack: 4

Lazy with the BGM some crazy scenes were somewhat silent

Enjoyment: 0

Season 2 / OVA's really killed any remaining integrity left in the series it felt more as if they were trying to milk more seasons out than finish the plot.

Emotional Involvement: 3

What Emotional Involvement? The characters that we would have been attached to were out of the spotlight, some that would have easily been favorites were dolls the most dull thing in existence, and the few characters we were getting attached to got killed off.

Overall Rating: 0/0

Kinda disappointed on how this series promised an epic mystery triller only to slap us in the face.

Last edited by Crontica; 2010-08-09 at 06:27.
Old 2010-08-08, 22:07   Link #3
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Animation Quality: 5/10
It was pretty good animation quality, though most of it didn't have much action scenes, I feel 5 is plenty enough for most of it being talk.

Voice Actors: 10/10
Same voices for main characters, other voices didn't really matter, they usually got killed off anyway.

Plot: 2/10
Let's be honest, the whole plot to this pretty much sucked. + 2 ONLY for giving little insight to what happened between seasons 1 & 2. But it was ridiculously slow with a lot of nonsense talking.

Script 1/10
Honestly, who hired the scriptwriters. They are total idiots. Nobody wants to listen to a dull script of Yin saying "Hei" and Hei saying "Yin." Bland.

Soundtrack: 1/10
I, in fact, can't even remember any music at all from this. +1 just for decent sound effects during action scenes.

Editing 1/10
I have no idea what took SO long for each episode to come out. Nothing was special in any of them. In fact, most of the parts in every episode were unnecessary and just plain stupid.

Enjoyment: 2/10
I really did not enjoy it that much. Action scenes seemed wimpy compared to Season 1. Hei seems like a giant wuss for most of it. I'm not too fond of the fact that the whole thing could have been summed up with 2 pictures: Yin saying 'Hei', and Hei saying 'Yin.' Honestly, we don't give a damn, just give us GAR action scenes like Season 1.

Emotional Involvement: 1
Very little, if any, emotional involvement. I could really care less what happens to the whole lot of em' after watching this.

Overall Rating: 4/10 Only thing carrying this was voice acting.
Old 2010-08-09, 20:00   Link #4
Vanehei
Sousuke rules

Send a message via MSN to Vanehei
Wow, really bad "grades".... its one of my favorite series ever. Thats all i have to say because who i am to give a number to somebody else efford
Old 2010-08-10, 12:24   Link #5
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanehei View Post
Wow, really bad "grades".... its one of my favorite series ever. Thats all i have to say because who i am to give a number to somebody else efford
First of all, we are NOT grading the series itself. We are grading just the OADs. Second, I did like the first season, but that was really all I liked about the series.
Old 2010-08-10, 21:59   Link #6
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkdark View Post
Animation Quality: 5/10
It was pretty good animation quality, though most of it didn't have much action scenes, I feel 5 is plenty enough for most of it being talk.

Voice Actors: 10/10
Same voices for main characters, other voices didn't really matter, they usually got killed off anyway.

Plot: 2/10
Let's be honest, the whole plot to this pretty much sucked. + 2 ONLY for giving little insight to what happened between seasons 1 & 2. But it was ridiculously slow with a lot of nonsense talking.

Script 1/10
Honestly, who hired the scriptwriters. They are total idiots. Nobody wants to listen to a dull script of Yin saying "Hei" and Hei saying "Yin." Bland.

Soundtrack: 1/10
I, in fact, can't even remember any music at all from this. +1 just for decent sound effects during action scenes.

Editing 1/10
I have no idea what took SO long for each episode to come out. Nothing was special in any of them. In fact, most of the parts in every episode were unnecessary and just plain stupid.

Enjoyment: 2/10
I really did not enjoy it that much. Action scenes seemed wimpy compared to Season 1. Hei seems like a giant wuss for most of it. I'm not too fond of the fact that the whole thing could have been summed up with 2 pictures: Yin saying 'Hei', and Hei saying 'Yin.' Honestly, we don't give a damn, just give us GAR action scenes like Season 1.

Emotional Involvement: 1
Very little, if any, emotional involvement. I could really care less what happens to the whole lot of em' after watching this.

Overall Rating: 4/10 Only thing carrying this was voice acting.
Those ratings and reasonings are very clear to what I'm thinking of the second season, the VA was pure win especially for Hei, but in the second season I kinda did like Hei's new look in the beginning only if he shaved the growing beard.

The action scenes from season 1 were plenty and very well satisfying, but in season 2 the action scenes were almost scarce and very dull compared to what I've seen in season 1.
Old 2010-08-11, 04:21   Link #7
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Those ratings and reasonings are very clear to what I'm thinking of the second season, the VA was pure win especially for Hei, but in the second season I kinda did like Hei's new look in the beginning only if he shaved the growing beard.

The action scenes from season 1 were plenty and very well satisfying, but in season 2 the action scenes were almost scarce and very dull compared to what I've seen in season 1.
It's like Hei was taking a vacation from the script, somehow bones thought it was a brilliant idea to showcase that as the second season.
Old 2010-08-13, 10:31   Link #8
numb3rs

Animation Quality: 7
Voice Actors: 8
Script: 6
Soundtrack: 9
Editing: 7
Enjoyment: 8
Emotional Involvement: 7

i think it was one of those animes where you really had to pay attention to reactions and such, to notice these little things. even though i tried, i still have a few questions after finishing the anime. i din't really find it enthralling, but the "fight" scenes were one of the best parts about it. that would usualy be good, but not in this case where the best parts being fight scenes and the soundtrack. because the lower ratings were for the script and the storyline.
Old 2010-08-17, 18:10   Link #9
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
It's like Hei was taking a vacation from the script, somehow bones thought it was a brilliant idea to showcase that as the second season.
I'm thinking Hei did more than take a vacation from the script. He took a long vacation from the show. He kind of reminded me of a zombie for most of it.
Old 2011-01-18, 15:53   Link #10
AuroraFlash
good-natured spirit
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to AuroraFlash Send a message via MSN to AuroraFlash
DtB2 was so amazing. I really loved the amazing ending and of course it was a real prelude to DtB1. There are series in this world which seize and amaze me and just like Elfen Lied and Death Note, Darker than Black is among them, the real Kings of Anime.
Old 2011-02-20, 10:19   Link #11
Rag

Animation Quality: 9
Voice Actors: 9
Script: 5
Soundtrack: 8.5
Editing: ??
Enjoyment: N/A
Emotional Involvement: N/A

Average = 6.5
Old 2011-02-22, 23:10   Link #12
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkdark View Post
I'm thinking Hei did more than take a vacation from the script. He took a long vacation from the show. He kind of reminded me of a zombie for most of it.
I think it was towards the ending where he got his motto back and became what we loved about him. But that was the only part of this entire season where Hei was not a stand-by character.
Old 2011-08-15, 16:23   Link #13
Battler-kun

Hei so alone
Old 2011-09-02, 03:29   Link #14
cedufasi
Irregular

Average = 8

The first season was better.

Suou sux.
Old 2011-12-11, 02:38   Link #15
Alchemist007
*Author

Holy crap. I saw the first season back when it came out and just wanted to see what people thought about this one...I don't even know if I want to see it, the story and mystery were pretty intriguing near the end of S1.
Old 2011-12-17, 16:18   Link #16
Aqua Knight

Watch it, it's still better than like 80 % anime coming.

I'd give 2nd seasons + OVA's an 8/10. Opening and ending song were great too