AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 07 Rating
Perfect 10 26 9.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 3.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 3.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 5.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.90%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 14 4.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 3.19%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.84%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 11 3.90%
1 out of 10 : Painful 167 59.22%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-25, 15:25   Link #461
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
I've always had the idea that they had already done many activities to try and break the loop, only that they have ended up with the same failed solutions -- doing almost the same things over and over again -- over the course of numerous loops similar to E8 2-6 (instances where they found out about the existence of the loop). The playground scene last episode seems to support this.
Well, in this case... SHOW THEM. It would both let them not look like total passive idiots, and make the E8 arc feel much less repetitive.
Because for now, what we see in the anime is that they barely talk about it, and nobody try anything seriously to make it ends.

And either way, they never thought asking Nagato to carry them information from one loop to another. If that's not an academical example of carrying the idiot ball, I don't know what it is.
Because that's the first idea that anybody with two brain cells connected together would have had.
Quote:
Kyon won't realize the gravity of their problem 'til he learns of the actual number of times they have realized the existence of the loop and failed to stop it from looping again. Koizumi, on the other hand, is enjoying this scenario.
They learn the number of the failed loops about the same time they learn there is loop at all, so I fail to see your point here. There is several days after that they could use to act upon it. Nothing is done.
Quote:
Incidentally, they are both representing the non-raging part of the fanbase.
You do realize that they end up looking like complete idiots with crippled brains ? :-/
Because I doubt you'd like the implications of what you just said if you did...
Old 2009-07-25, 15:25   Link #462
RAD_ED

I hate when any show does repetitions and when they waste time doing it 7 times just annoys me to no end. They could stop wasting TV time and show something better.
Old 2009-07-25, 15:28   Link #463
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
I just love all the rage

I laugh at every post with things like.... "I'm not watching this series anymore!" ... "This arc has ruined Haruhi!"

You aren't fooling anyone. You secretly watch each week
Nah I didn't watch it. So I didn't even vote in this poll-- don't blame me for auto 1s. But you are right that these discussions are pretty funny especially ones with the torches and pitchforks

I will admit that my opinion of the series has gone down (lol like that matters), but rage is quite another story. I don't really consider myself a big Haruhi fan-- it's probably not even in my top 10. Don't get me wrong, the first season is a great series that brought me back into anime because of its uniqueness and the second season started out great too, but if the series just dies here, well so be it. I would also not join the "torch kyoani" crowd as they've done many a great thing over the years. Nobody is perfect.

If EE finally ends, I'll be happy and keep watching. If it doesn't I guess there's always the flames.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2009-07-25 at 15:48.
Old 2009-07-25, 15:29   Link #464
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
They learn the number of the failed loops about the same time they learn there is loop at all, so I fail to see your point here. There is several days after that they could use to act upon it. Nothing is done.
Not what was meant. Kyon hasn't asked Nagato how many times they've even discovered the loop, so as far as they know, they've only "recently" found out about it.

*e* To clarify, they know that it has looped over 15,500 times now. They don't know how many times they've discovered it, so they don't know how many times they have failed.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-07-25, 15:41   Link #465
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
Uhmm, I dunno. I'm not in suffering. Are you?
When bad anime happens, all suffers. Also kittens die.
Old 2009-07-25, 15:49   Link #466
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan-san View Post
"Bad anime" is rather subjective...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-07-25, 15:56   Link #467
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
To clarify, they know that it has looped over 15,500 times now. They don't know how many times they've discovered it, so they don't know how many times they have failed.
About 9000. It is actually said.
Old 2009-07-25, 16:22   Link #468
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Yes. Just not in the anime. Which was the point you missed entirely.
Old 2009-07-25, 16:40   Link #469
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan-san View Post
This calls for a quick lolcat.

Quote:
You do realize that they end up looking like complete idiots with crippled brains ? :-/
Because I doubt you'd like the implications of what you just said if you did...
Everyone can look like complete idiots -- even if one isn't, he/she can always act like one. And boy, I think it's really hard to distinguish people with crippled brains from those having normal, healthy ones.
Old 2009-07-25, 16:50   Link #470
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I wonder if there's some sort of secret writer's strike going on at Kadokawa and that's why they chose to repeat Endless Eights so many times. ^^;
I don't know why they would even need writers at all.

It's all there in the novel series. Not much to do but adapt the dialogue and animate it.
Old 2009-07-25, 16:53   Link #471
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHydra View Post
I don't know why they would even need writers at all.

It's all there in the novel series. Not much to do but adapt the dialogue and animate it.
Not everything that works in a book works in a television series.
Old 2009-07-25, 17:01   Link #472
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Not everything that works in a book works in a television series.
True enough, but it should reduce the amount of work considerably.

Most TV writing is done from scratch.
Old 2009-07-25, 17:05   Link #473
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Actually, most TV writing, outside of adaptations, is "This works for that show, so let's try and make it work for ours."
Old 2009-07-25, 17:06   Link #474
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well... the initial shock and anger has worn off.

I think they really have gone too far.

But what came across most to me this episode was what an amazing opportunity they missed.

I remember I thought after the 1st episode, that doing this in 2 episodes would be really cool. Then after the 2nd episode that using 3 was genius. After the third episode, I thought that it was too much.. but looking back I could understand it as a way to generate "water cooler" talk. Word of mouth is the best possible publicity after all.

This is where they messed up. Lets assume for a second that they had decided that 8 episodes of Endless Eight was what they wanted to do.

Okay, how about arranging it like this:

Episode 1: Keep the way it is, straight play of summer days having fun

Episode 2: Keep the way it is, the dramatic reveal that they are stuck in time loop- HOW MANY TIMES!?!?

Episode 3: Use the 4th or 5th iteration (better animation than the 3rd): The "WTH?!" response to not being resolved

Episode 4: Use the 4th or 5th iteration (better animation than the 3rd): Response "No way- they can't be doing this again!!!" Rage and despair among the fan base.

Episode 5: Kyon X Nagato episode.

This is what I realized watching this episode through during Kyon's following of Yuki and asking her if she was okay. He paused, and didn't turn away- I thought: "Ah what's this? Is something different going to happen?". Now I'm not suggesting anything really happen between Nagato and Kyon- just Ship Tease the heck out of us. After Nagato says she's okay, have Kyon offer her a ride home on his bike. At the festival have Kyon insist on buying the mask for her. Maybe even have Yuki warn him against doing it and have Haruhi act a jealous (no free food for you Kyon!). Have Haruhi confront Kyon later (with the excuse that she needs to "protect" Yuki), and have him make up some excuse about Nagato being sad about something- maybe have Kyon say something stupid about how he prefers girls with long hair anyway- and then have Haruhi wear a ponytail to the next activity. By episode end, Haruhi and Kyon have gone back to status quo, and Kyon fails again to solve the loop.

Fan Reaction: Massive debate about something other than why the loop hasn't ended. "That's not in the novel!" "Who cares? The loop erases it, so it doesn't count anyway!"

Episode 6: Kyon x Mikuru episode: I don't know what kind of plot to follow here but basically do the same as last episode- ship tease the heck out of us. This will establish a pattern, building up to the anticipated Kyon X Haruhi episode.

Episode 7: Kyon x Haruhi: Will this finally end the loop? (They could still do this, and if they do it might actually salvage the Endless Eight arc.)

Spoiler for How I would handle a Kyon X Haruhi Endless Eight episode: 'Kyon's Test of Courage!':

Now wouldn't that be epic? Would that be worth it?
Old 2009-07-25, 17:10   Link #475
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Actually, most TV writing, outside of adaptations, is "This works for that show, so let's try and make it work for ours."
This is why manga/light novels are generally superior to original anime.
Old 2009-07-25, 17:30   Link #476
Akka

Quote:
Everyone can look like complete idiots -- even if one isn't, he/she can always act like one. And boy, I think it's really hard to distinguish people with crippled brains from those having normal, healthy ones.
When it's 15500 times in a row, it's a bit more than "looking like an idiot without being one", though.

Let's just admit that it was more or less a idiot plot ploy and the sheer over-the-top number of repetition was rather for the humorous effect in the novel... but when you repeat the story so many times for such a long time, it's hard to not notice it.
Old 2009-07-25, 17:34   Link #477
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I don't think anyone found the idea that they repeated the last two weeks almost 15,550 times funny, even in the novels.
Old 2009-07-25, 17:37   Link #478
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Let's just admit that it was more or less a idiot plot ploy and the sheer over-the-top number of repetition was rather for the humorous effect in the novel... but when you repeat the story so many times for such a long time, it's hard to not notice it.
To be fair, the solution is so ridiculous I can't believe Kyon even thought of it in the first place.

And yeah, the number was probably picked randomly. It's what I would have done.
Old 2009-07-25, 17:40   Link #479
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
When it's 15500 times in a row, it's a bit more than "looking like an idiot without being one", though.

Yeah, it definitely makes some of the key characters look worse than they did before.

It makes Kyon look either very stupid or very weak (i.e. if you hold that sheer apathy/indecisiveness is stopping him).

If makes Koizumi look either very stupid or aloof to a villainous degree (i.e. if you hold that he doesn't care about all of mankind being caught in this endless loop).

Mikuru is, well... she's useless in most/all emergencies, but for a time traveler to have no idea of how to overcome this is pretty bad...

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-07-25 at 22:04.
Old 2009-07-25, 17:58   Link #480
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, it definitely makes some of the key characters look worse than they did before.

It makes Kyon look either very stupid or very weak (i.e. if you hold that sheer apathy/indecisiveness is stopping him).

If makes Koizumi look either very stupid or aloof to a villainous degree (i.e. if you hold that he doesn't care about all of mankind being caught in this endless hope).

Mikuru is, well... she's useless in most/all emergencies, but for a time traveler to have no idea of how to overcome this is pretty bad...
It is very fitting actually. Except, maybe, for Kyon. But it is before most character development.
Closed Thread