AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2020-08-12, 13:03   Link #201
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think Yuki certainly had interest in Tohru romantically but realized pretty quickly that he didn’t stand a chance. And rather than risk being seen as losing to someone he’s obsessed with proving his superiority to, he consciously pivoted to a platonic viewpoint. It was classic Yuki actually.
There were a few times where he seemed to be overtly flirting with her, but I guess you could write those off as him not understanding his feelings for Tohru until he dealt with his actual mother.
Old 2020-08-17, 13:04   Link #202
Frontier

So the class has settled on a play...Cinderella! With some out-of-the-box picks like Tohru as the evil stepsister, Kyo as the darkhorse Prince, Yuki as Fairy Godmother and Hanajima of all people as Cinderella. The only role that really fits was Minami as the evil Stepmother, her just desserts for making sure Tohru got a "bad" role. I'm hyped to see just how crazy this play gets with goth Cinderella Hanajima .

This is what you get for not participating, Kyo. I love how Tohru is positively beaming at the idea of him as the Prince .

Yuki's finally made peace with his parental situation being what it is, and now he can at least communicate with his mother to some extent now, and she shows him actual motherly affection for quite possibly the first time in his entire life. I'm not sure if they'll ever be a close family with everything that's happened, but at least they're trying .

It turns out Machi is yet another Furuba girl with deep-seated emotional trauma that makes her lash out, quite physically in fact. I have to wonder what it is that happened to her that she seems to consistently lose it out of nowhere like that .

So the reason Kakeru and Machi are as attached at the hip as they are is because they're actually (half) siblings. Their mothers pitted them against one other for a succession issue but Kakeru eventually had enough of that nonsense, and he's seemingly been the only person up until this point who has been considerate of Machi's circumstances and can talk to her. Machi doesn't seem to acknowledge him much but then again she seems fairly disconnected to everything around her .

Good on Yuki for being so considerate towards Machi and looking out for her! Maybe he can't relate entirely to whatever her circumstances are, but he understands family trauma as much as anyone and wants to do what he can .

The students have too high an expectation for their school festival...but Kakeru certainly doesn't help on that front, but I guess he's a big believer in the romance of a school festival .

Who needs a teacher when you can have Machi bash the door open with a chair ?

So to Yuki Tohru truly is...something we'll hopefully find out next episode :P.

Last edited by Frontier; 2020-08-17 at 15:59.
Frontier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-17, 18:24   Link #203
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Given what we learned about Machi and what happened in this episode, it's pretty much set in stone Yuki will end up with her. I'm really starting to like Yuki, he's grown a lot over the course of the past few episodes. Tohru herself has noticed the change, leading to her switching from "don't overdo it" to "do your best".

The play should be really interesting to watch. Evil Tohru will probably be the cutest thing ever.
Old 2020-08-17, 20:03   Link #204
Wandering Soul

That play looks like it'll be a fun disaster to watch. Kyo being the prince is funny enough, but Hanajima as Cinderella and Tohru as an evil step sister are real mismatches.

Machi breaking Yuki out of a dark room that's similar to one Akito used to lock him in is a pretty blatant sign they'll end up together
Old 2020-08-17, 20:49   Link #205
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well all about Yuki and the on goings of the student council Just how did Machi make such a mess again

Cant wait to seeing Tooru as a evil stepsister
Old 2020-08-17, 21:17   Link #206
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This episode was rather a come-down after the drama of the past few weeks. I suppose I can understand the enthusiasm for watching their version of Cinderella, but it feels like a giant distraction after Rin's story.

The young student council guy is really annoying, even more than the older one. The only council member other than Yuki I find at all interesting is Machi. I've never been fond of the style of acting/directing where the characters yell all the time. I recently watched the first episode of Honey and Clover where the male characters all screamed at each other. Don't know if I can continue.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-17, 21:23   Link #207
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
This episode was rather a come-down after the drama of the past few weeks. I suppose I can understand the enthusiasm for watching their version of Cinderella, but it feels like a giant distraction after Rin's story.

The young student council guy is really annoying, even more than the older one. The only council member other than Yuki I find at all interesting is Machi. I've never been fond of the style of acting/directing where the characters yell all the time. I recently watched the first episode of Honey and Clover where the male characters all screamed at each other. Don't know if I can continue.
I can kind of understand being constantly exasperated when you feel like you're the only sane and rational member of your group. Even Yuki's getting in on the antics at this point .
Old 2020-08-17, 21:47   Link #208
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
To be honest, I never thought I could end up hating Furuba characters, but man, these SC members take the cake. They are all annoying to some degree or another; some more than others. The younger guy had a point this episode though; to just let Machi get away with it when she broke a window and destroyed the clubroom is beyond ridiculous. After too much SC stuff, I just had to stop watching and skip ahead just a bit. Sure they have their issues, but their general antics are so infuriating to watch that I pay more attention to those than their particular issues. I sincerely doubt these chars will pull a Rin and turn my feelings around either. I just hope they focus as little as possible on them as they can, and stick to the main trio.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-17, 22:00   Link #209
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Student council arc continues! And Yuki is getting better. Just what I wanted to see.
shmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-19, 01:50   Link #210
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 15:

Shigure looks younger when he's in a suit and hair fixed.

Oh, and having friends over to the house feels so nice.

Yuki's brother is amazing. ^^
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-24, 13:04   Link #211
Frontier

As if we needed more reminders about how bad Yuki's parents were...his mom was more concerned about how her sickly child would look in front of the family head than about the fact that he was sickly to begin with. Yuki was basically an object his parents sold off to live a life of luxury, not caring an ounce about what he had to go through while they enjoyed themselves. While he was experiencing so much emotional and physical trauma, they were on trips, and only cared for how he made them look in front of Akito. What makes it worse is that this was also back when Ayame didn't care for Yuki .

Hard as it is to believe, Akito actually used to look like a cute kid. It seems like something happened that really emotionally messed him up and made him turn on the Zodiac like he did. What began as a relatively innocent relationship between playmates became Akito using Yuki as the receiving end of all his negative emotions and insecurities. Akito went from having to emphasize how important and special he is to putting down Yuki and making him feel as awful, useless, and low as possible .

Looks like Shigure and Akito's close relationship dates back a long time ago, back to when Akito was a child and Shigure was older .

Seeing the Zodiac together as kids was actually kind of adorable. I think this is the first time we've seen all 12 together in a single scene .

We also see the beginning of Kyo and Yuki's relationship. Kyo resented and blamed Yuki for his lot in life all the while Yuki saw Kyo and saw someone with the freedom, friendship, and love that he always craved for. The true tragedy of Kyo and Yuki's friendship is not only the subconscious yearning for each other's life that they both held towards each other but that, in-spite of how they act towards each other now, deep down Yuki wanted to be Kyo's friend .

As true as it is Kyoko, "cute" is not a very definitive description of someone...of course Kyoko reacted to losing Tohru about how I expected her too .

Just when Yuki is about to give up on himself, his drive to live forces himself out of the compound and into rescuing a lost Tohru, finally giving him a feeling of deserving to exist and live that he desperately needed. And that led him to be the boy in the hat that saved Tohru .

And we learn the truth about how Yuki sees Tohru, not as a potential lover, but the mother he never had, someone who could be there for him, listen to him, accept him, and give him the warmth and kindness that he never received as a child. She was the light he needed to not give up on his life, both as a child and as a teenager. It's a sweet kind of relationship, in that way .
Old 2020-08-24, 18:31   Link #212
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This episode didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know, but going more in depth into these events and having Yuki narrate the way he was feeling back then brought about a whole new perspective. Yuki did suffer a lot, and I feel sorry for him. Akito kept emotionally abusing him by feeding him lies, and sadly, what he experienced (Kyo declaring he hates him, his mother not caring about him, his brother completely ignoring him) just seemed to confirm those lies, plunging him even more into despair.

It looks like Akito has his own sob story. I already figured that would be the case, but it will take A LOT to redeem him.
Old 2020-08-24, 19:58   Link #213
Wandering Soul

So the entire time the hat that seemed like it was supposed to develop the Yuki and Tohru relationship was actually about Kyo and Yuki's relationship. Deep down Yuki Yuki actually wanted to be his friend and envied his life just as Kyo envied Yuki's.
Old 2020-08-24, 20:42   Link #214
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

One more Yuki episode and just what happen to Akito to chance so drastically

So Kyou hated Yuki right away with out even knowing him first
Old 2020-08-25, 08:27   Link #215
Akira Theia

Having seen Yuki's full backstory, now I get to relate to his circumstances and point of view a lot more. His early childhood was too lonely. His parents and older brother abandoned him to let Akito abuse him. Most of a time, he acted like a jerk to Kyo, but here we see Kyo started it by hating Yuki from their first meeting for things that weren't Yuki's fault. I think some forgot Haru wasn't any better than Kyo towards Yuki at first and only started to act like a bro when Yuki showed his emotional strength. And the one who let find that strength and search for a meaning to his life was Tohru. Without her, Yuki would have ended up as Akito's emotionally beat down lapdog.

The saddest thing about Yuki and Kyo is that the reasons why they resent each other is because they have a very superficial view of the other's life and end up only seeing what they want in the other without recognizing both have grown up in equally toxic environments.

I do think Yuki's situation would have been more bearable if Akito wasn't a bully who tried destroying his self-esteem to make him codependent, but he would have always yearned for the parental love and friends he thinks Kyo has. It's true Kyo has Kazuma, but Kazuma only took Kyo in after his mom killed herself and his biological dad said it was his fault for being born a "monster". Yuki thinks Kyo could make friends with others more easily than him, but the Sohmas calling him a filthy cat all his life left him with so much anger that his one obsession was proving those cruel words wrong by winning against Yuki until Tohru started helping him let that go. There's also that Kyo can't trust people who say they love him, like Kagura and his own mother, aren't looking at him with pity in some way. Tohru and Kazuma are the only ones who really care about Kyo for the person he is.

Still, I can't take one or the other side here. Yuki and Kyo are both very damaged people who only lash out at each other because the adults around them told them they have to hate each other based on what a childish fairy tale said. If anything, their conflict shows that you shouldn't be jealous of someone and casually say you want their life without getting a full picture first.

Akito just abruptly becoming an abusive monster out of nowhere was quite suspicious here. Although, I think we're getting the idea Akito likely had even less interaction with kids of the same age than Yuki. From what we have seen, it doesn't look like Akito ever went to school unlike the rest of the Zodiac. That means Akito has probably left the Sohma estate less than anyone and we have seen that environment is full of toxic adults who rever Akito to the point they won't say anything even after Akito leaves several of the Zodiacs beaten and bloody. It's very clear Akito has serious mental issues and none of those who should be responsible are regulating that. Whatever Akito's issues are, the real problem here is that no one is stopping Akito from taking it out on the Zodiac. While I'm not defending any of Akito's actions, I think it's not too far-stretched to think someone would turn this abusive if they have a bad temper since childhood and the adults just lets them treat other humans as toys, punch anyone in the face and throw people out of windows. In real life, the police or social services could try and intervene, but the Sohma clan is quite dissociated from reality in that matter. Akito is just another proof that the Sohma estate is the worst place any kid, especially a Zodiac, can grow up in.

Last edited by Akira Theia; 2020-08-25 at 10:07.
Akira Theia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-25, 16:09   Link #216
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira Theia View Post
Yuki and Kyo are both very damaged people who only lash out at each other because the adults around them told them they have to hate each other based on what a childish fairy tale said. If anything, their conflict shows that you shouldn't be jealous of someone and casually say you want their life without getting a full picture first.
So is Kyou's instinctive anger toward Yuki based on myths he was told as a kid? Does Kyou think Yuki is somehow responsible for his mother's suicide? It has to be deeper than cat-and-mouse. And how did they both end up with Shigure?

Yuki's declaration about Tohru certainly clears the way for Kyou. I don't think he sees her in a maternal way at all.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-25, 17:20   Link #217
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

We actually do not have Kuo's full backstory at this point in anime yet.
There is one very important piece of unrevealed info that made Kyo the way he is right now, including his current reason of hating Yuki.
Kyo's reason of hate is very different before and after that particular event.
So it is best to save the judgement until the final revelation.
shmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-25, 18:08   Link #218
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
So is Kyou's instinctive anger toward Yuki based on myths he was told as a kid? Does Kyou think Yuki is somehow responsible for his mother's suicide? It has to be deeper than cat-and-mouse. And how did they both end up with Shigure?
Yuki ended up with Shigure because Haru begged him to save him. How Shigure convinced Akito to let go of his favorite toy, we don't know.

As for how Kyo ended up there, it's in season 1. He came to fight with Yuki and then somehow stayed. I don't remember the details, I think Shigure offered thinking it would be fun to have the two living under the same roof.
Old 2020-08-27, 03:35   Link #219
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 16:

honestly, one of the best episodes for me. Tohru do something crazy, try to sneak into the Soma estate.. but she accomplished two things. First, communicate to Momiji that Momo likes him as an older brother. Next, Tohru was able to give Kureno the contact info.. which we later see him holding - so he has not given up yet!

I assume Momiji is practicing the song that Tohru requested, when we see him playing the violin near the end of the episode.

and some Tohru x Kyo moment too.

my enjoyment in this show has been restored.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-31, 13:03   Link #220
Frontier

Tohru was the warmth and acceptance of a mother that Yuki and the other Sohma's with their terrible living situation's needed. Yuki overcompensated after realizing those feelings by overtly flirting with Tohru, but ultimately he didn't see her as a woman in the sense of a love interest but as a caring mother-figure .

Yuki doesn't want to love someone like a mother to him, he already realizes that Tohru and Kyo are in love with each other, he wants to fall in love on his own terms and while moving forward with his own life .

Shigure wants in on the play to see how much of a trainwreck it ends up being and to see Kyo as the prince. And Kazuma is totally going to find out about it .

Tohru and Kyo are so adorable with each other. Of course, two kids in love teasing each other getting caught acting that way can be pretty embarrassing. They're almost at Bakouple level at this point .

Unsurprisingly Tohru can't play the evil stepsister without making herself feel ill. Well, with such an oddball and unexpected cast, better to throw out the script and write a Cinderella that is true to the performers. It'll probably be more entertaining that way .

Yuki's class gets to meet Ayame and Mine, and the latter get to have the time of their lives dressing up this class for the play .

Yuki confronts Kyo head on over how he's been acting and how it's been impacting Tohru, not willing to let Kyo's self-destructive and loner behavior hurt Tohru. And in doing so Yuki looks at Kyo with a level of sincerity and care that he's never shown him before, and Kyo is left reeling after thinking of something Kyoko said to him about how he would be able to live without the hate in his heart .

Yuki has finally found a girl that doesn't see him as the idealized Prince, implying that Machi sees Yuki for who he really is and not the facade people projected onto him .

I can understand how Kyo feels and why he's isolating himself from everyone, even Tohru, but in doing so he's distressing Tohru because of how much she cares about him and wants him to be happy. So if only for her sake, he agrees to do the play! That head rest on her shoulder and that blushing was so sweet .