AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2011-08-10, 13:43   Link #1
Sarugaki
mangekyo shenanigans

any cool seinen in the last two years?

I've been out of the loop.. anything good?

thanks
Sarugaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 18:21   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm not sure which of these are "seinen," though I think most qualify:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - don't let the hype fool you; it really is that good
Bakemonogatari - another SHAFT outing; not my favorite but worth a try
House of Five Leaves - excellent character studies about petty criminals in the late Edo period
Level E - retro comedy; weaker in the middle episodes but a strong start and finish
Durarara!! - same mangaka and studio as Baccano!; didn't grab me the same way, but it's another one worth trying

Current offerings
Usagi Drop - one of the best mature slice-of-life stories I've seen
Hyouge Mono - power, honor, aesthetics and tea in the "warring states" period

Worth trying
Moshidora - a high-school girl uses Peter Drucker's Management to manage a baseball team; based on one of the all-time best-selling novels in Japanese history

How about a josei?
Kuragehime
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 20:44   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Madoka Magica is the only one I can think that is both high-quality and decidedly in the seinen category.

There have been several other good mature shows, that might fall into the "good fit for older audiences" but I believe they are technically shonen or josei.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 23:13   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Needless is classified as Seinen, and I think that's basically accurate. It's a lot of fun, very silly and filthy and stupidly smart.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 23:37   Link #5
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Matchiko E Hatchin - That's a damn good show if you are a fan of Cowboy bebop-ish episodic journey jazzyness...

Moonlight Mile - Now you gotta be somebody partial to large, in-depth, sometimes slow-building realism...If you are, it's a special adventure for the mind and soul...
Old 2011-08-11, 00:43   Link #6
Corwin_r

Send a message via MSN to Corwin_r
Here's what AniDB has tagged as seinen and I've personally enjoyed watching in the past few years:

Saraiya Goyou - A different take on samurai anime, from the same studio that did Samurai Champloo.

Arakawa Under the Bridge 1 & 2 - Wacky comedy with a spice of romance about a rich guy (with many complexes to add), suddenly being forced to live under a bridge with many looney residents.

Giant Killing - Even for non-sport and soccer fans this anime is cash. Managing a loser team did never seem more interesting. Only thing I thought was a flaw was needless prolonging of some matches. Think Akagi with football/soccer instead of mahjong.

Katanagatari - This was probably my favourite show of 2010, it has everything, action, romance, comedy and most importantly intriguing characters an dialogues. I won't lie, its very dialogue driven and some might take that as a major drawback. Still, I highly recommend it.

Aoi Bungaku - Book never looked cooler than this, basically this show covers some of the most well-known Japanese novels. No Longer Human, Kokoro and Run Melos were my personal favourites but overall it's a very good show for a more mature audience.

Bakemonogatari - Dialogue driven anime from the same original author as Katanagatari in a modern day setting focused on supernatural phenomena surrounding a seemingly average high school boy.

etc.

+1 for Madoka and Needless, though Needless is a pure no-brainer, watch it only if you're looking for some mindless entertainment, I quite enjoyed it as such.

Edit: Sorry for not previously noticing someone recommending Bakemonogatari and Saraiya Goyou (House of the Five Leaves)
Old 2011-08-11, 01:52   Link #7
calorie

Hanasaku Iroha and Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai are both very good and are technically considered to be Seinen.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 05:29   Link #8
Sarugaki
mangekyo shenanigans

thanks guys
I really enjoyed Durarara!, good thing that you made that comment otherwise I wouldn't have detected the Baccano characters
Watching Needless now, it's fun. it's really a clone of Scryed
Old 2011-08-22, 10:00   Link #9
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin was a seinen that aired in 2010 that was excellent. It's set in post-WWII Japan and is about a bunch of teenagers/delinquents who get put into a juvenile detention centre. A "bromance" anime.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 16:49   Link #10
YuriEcchiGirl

Kobato - It's under the seinen catagory & I can't recommend it more passionately enough
Old 2013-01-07, 13:18   Link #11
Sarugaki
mangekyo shenanigans

hey gaiz

something new and exciting in the last 6-8 months?

I've been out of the anime loop completely again (except HxH 2011)

cheers
Old 2013-01-07, 20:41   Link #12
Chandela
Straight Chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarugaki View Post
hey gaiz

cheers
You might want to try Btooom! It just finished airing this past Fall season.
Old 2013-01-07, 22:28   Link #13
Darthtabby

Uchuu Kyoudai/Space Brothers -Two brothers promise each other that they will become astronauts someday. Years later the younger brother has succeeded in that dream, while the older (born on the day of the so called "Tragedy of Doha") has ended up becoming a automotive engineer instead. After he gets fired, he takes a shot at following that abandoned childhood dream.

It's very slow paced and perhaps a bit overly drawn out, but its quite good if you can get past that.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 06:26   Link #14
Okarin

There's an ongoing anime called Psycho-Pass, you might want to try that. From MAL:

"The series takes place in the near future, when it is possible to instantaneously measure and quantify a person's state of mind and personality. This information is recorded and processed, and the term "Psycho-Pass" refers to a standard used to measure an individual's being. The story centers around the "enforcement officer" Shinya Kougami, who is tasked with managing crime in such a world."
Okarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 06:35   Link #15
HasuMasu
*Artist

I myself will have to check out some of these suggestions, great thread.

Also, while I won't pretend to be an expert on what is and what isn't seinen, +1 to BTOOM.

While I haven't actually watched it, the manga's pretty good and I haven't heard any serious complaints about the adaptation.

Nekomonogatari (a prequel to Bakemonogatari, which was mentioned earlier) just aired recently.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 04:55   Link #16
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarugaki View Post
hey gaiz

cheers
Have you seen Fate/Zero yet?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/fate-zero

If not then look no further. Romance, action, comedy, this one has it all, though it is quite grim and very violent, so be warned.

The start is a little slow, but most of the show is a roller coaster ride.

Last edited by NinjaRealist; 2013-01-09 at 05:21.
NinjaRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 06:58   Link #17
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kamisama Dolls would be an excellent choice, so would Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita. Tsuritama is also officially seinen, although it sort of defies category. I'd also recommend Nazo no Kanojo X to anyone that enjoys seinen generally.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 18:13   Link #18
Sarugaki
mangekyo shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandela View Post
You might want to try Btooom! It just finished airing this past Fall season.
thanks, just watched it, it wasn't bad!

thanks everyone for the suggestions