AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Old 2013-06-03, 15:38   Link #1241
ReddyRedWolf

Genki girl? Tsundere?

Nope Yandere for Ledo.

No wonder he isn't thrilled in exercising his reproduction rights.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 15:55   Link #1242
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Never would have pegged her for a yandere. Interesting.
Old 2013-06-03, 16:48   Link #1243
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Yeah that could have been awkward at times. "Who were you looking at in the shower just now when I'm right next to you?"

Endless "Averted eyes" Soul
Old 2013-06-03, 19:06   Link #1244
Xion Valkyrie

So is she the one that Ledo was trying to save in episode 1?
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 04:44   Link #1245
ReddyRedWolf

If I'm reading the LN link right as soon as they are born babies are separated from their parents to be placed in simulators. Probably what we saw in ep one.

The kid in Ledo's flashback is not his clone but his twin brother.

edit: It also mentions Alliance society is like what is described in the Destiny Plan of Seed.
Old 2013-06-04, 08:54   Link #1246
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
If I'm reading the LN link right as soon as they are born babies are separated from their parents to be placed in simulators. Probably what we saw in ep one.

edit: It also mentions Alliance society is like what is described in the Destiny Plan of Seed.
So no clones for you!

Interesting that despite being twins, one ends up being 'useless', in terms of their society anyway
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 09:31   Link #1247
ReddyRedWolf

Well Ledo's brother does look sickly and stunted compared to him. Given the Destiny Plan like policy they couldn't find him a place in society.

Which gives us a contrast to Garagantian society. In Gargantian society you'll have to find a job and be useful. In Galactic Alliance society they determine if you are useful and give you an appropriate job.
Old 2013-06-04, 12:11   Link #1248
Dark Wing

Quote:

well that is very interesting and I really hope for a full translation when the novel is done because it would give us a really good look into the alliance lifestyle.
Old 2013-06-04, 15:13   Link #1249
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:

Genki girl? Tsundere?

Nope Yandere for Ledo.

No wonder he isn't thrilled in exercising his reproduction rights.
A hime-cut yandere with an intresest in the male lead.

Ah, it's nice to be reminded of Ryoko Asakura.
Old 2013-06-05, 07:41   Link #1250
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I wonder if the GA developed a particular distaste for genetic manipulation that they'd rather cull individuals after their birth rather than eliminating genetic errors in the human genome directly.

I always thought it was strange for such an advanced civilization to still have problems like people being born with congenital diseases.

This might be the reason.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 08:47   Link #1251
ReddyRedWolf

Well the GA don't kill them immediately. Seems to me given Ledo's brother was still kept alive it boils down to if he can prove his worth or usefulness.

Notice Ledo understands the Gargantian saying "give water to those who catches fish".

In his society if you are going to be kept alive show your aptitude so your job would be determined. (Destiny Plan)

The GA doesn't have use for music or practical arts. So Ledo''s brother got disposed as he has no use by their definition.

Which makes me wonder if the ones in charge are really the A.I. as they do not have the parameters to understand those concepts like in Garagantia with Chamber.
Old 2013-06-05, 10:21   Link #1252
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Which makes me wonder if the ones in charge are really the A.I. as they do not have the parameters to understand those concepts like in Garagantia with Chamber.
I doubt so. It's clear that pilots are in charge and A.I. are only supporting them. Whoever designed the system of pilot+A.I. clearly values human judgement above that of a machine.
Would an A.I. incapable of understanding human reasoning see such necessity? And if it did, wouldn't it also see the necessity of a human judgement in determining on how to run a whole human society?

The GA chose the vitruvian man as their symbol. They probably don't trust anything that isn't human, machines included. Else why don't they just let machine calibers fight by themselves? They are quite capable of that.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 10:33   Link #1253
ReddyRedWolf

Yeah well what if the AI discovered the Zeroth Law, thinking the best way to serve man is to lead them in the shadows.

We've seen Chamber act like a political commissar to Ledo.

If the GA do run like a Destiny Plan communist state well comrade your political belief should be in line with the state.
Old 2013-06-05, 18:06   Link #1254
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I wonder if the GA developed a particular distaste for genetic manipulation that they'd rather cull individuals after their birth rather than eliminating genetic errors in the human genome directly.

I always thought it was strange for such an advanced civilization to still have problems like people being born with congenital diseases.

This might be the reason.
I think it's more efficient to just start with a higher base amount, then cull at certain stages to get rid of the children that don't certain standards.

Anyone else think we really need a second season? I feel like the amount of potential that was opened last episode shouldn't really be limited to 3 more episodes.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 22:33   Link #1255
zztop

Wonder when they'll announce the Gargantia character design contest results. There's only 2 more eps till the finale! Hope my design gets noticed.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 11:36   Link #1256
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

So I rewatched the first half of episode 1, mainly looking for Kugel's Machine Caliber to compare with events in episode 10. During the pre-battle speech, we were shown Avalon in pristine condition, and destroyed and overrun by the Hideaze. Which leads me to a few observations and possibilities. (Not sure if these were discussed earlier).
  • Avalon is already destroyed, and the GA soldiers were not told about it to keep morale up. (possible, but I think it's unlikely)
  • What was shown was a prediction of what will happen, shown to the troops to increase their resolve.
  • What was shown wasn't Avalon at all, but another colony that has actually been destroyed.

Endless "Back to the beginning" Soul
Old 2013-06-10, 13:15   Link #1257
Gravitas Free Zone

While the opening was all a morale video playing inside Ledo's head, I think that the wrecked colony very much could be another habitat that got eaten in the past. While the Alliance could have gotten the way it is for its own keep-the-proles-unrevolting purposes, the bits we've seen about the Evolvers in their own video suggest that they're not exactly sunshine and rainbows either.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 14:46   Link #1258
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post

Anyone else think we really need a second season? I feel like the amount of potential that was opened last episode shouldn't really be limited to 3 more episodes.
That would be nice, but what it really be about? SnG at it's core is still very much centered focused on Ledo and experiences with Gargantia. Most of around that is just flavor background stuff. Anything else dealing GA and Hideauze sounds like would better off as OVA/OVDs.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 23:36   Link #1259
Miraluka
Banned

There is a manga about Bellows, what its about?
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 03:00   Link #1260
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
  • Avalon is already destroyed, and the GA soldiers were not told about it to keep morale up. (possible, but I think it's unlikely)
  • What was shown was a prediction of what will happen, shown to the troops to increase their resolve.
  • What was shown wasn't Avalon at all, but another colony that has actually been destroyed.
Avalon is just the capital fleet. There are other colony fleets under it as are colony fleets not part of the Galactic Alliance, Drifters.

Notice one will get full citizen rights and privileges on it for 4 weeks upon 16 years of service.

Which means Avalon is really the only civilian colony of 470 million people in the GA.

Tags
action, harem, mecha, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, urobuchi