AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-11-23, 17:59   Link #61
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Congratulations on the release, Ultimatemegax.

A universe where Nibutani may have dignity. Who'd have thunk it?
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-23, 21:52   Link #62
ghostjhohan

thank you very much, brother
ghostjhohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-23, 22:40   Link #63
novalysis

Just finished the first LN. Many thanks to Ultimatemegaxx.

I found the writing quite amateurish really. The scary thing is, the anime writing seems to be superior to the LN writing. That being said, I can perfectly see what you are all talking about when you say that the characterisation here is excellent.

But given how far the anime is off the rails of the novels, I wonder how it's going to incorporate some of the later plot elements. I have an ugly suspicion that the Love you forever SMS love confession flashback was actually the anime's first hint at Satone Schichimiya. That girl, I theorise was Satone, and if there's a second season, we may well see her return.

However, Satone seems to be foreshadowed by Several Nibutani - Yuuta interactions that aren't present, and would be tricky to introduce in the anime. Yuuta's notebook has been replaced by the Manigoblion of Mori Summer for one.

If indeed, The Love You Forever Confession flashback is a hint at plans for a future love rival ready to collect on Yuuta's half forgotten promise.....

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-11-23 at 22:53.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-23, 23:10   Link #64
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Just finished the first LN. Many thanks to Ultimatemegaxx.

I found the writing quite amateurish really. The scary thing is, the anime writing seems to be superior to the LN writing. That being said, I can perfectly see what you are all talking about when you say that the characterisation here is excellent.

But given how far the anime is off the rails of the novels, I wonder how it's going to incorporate some of the later plot elements. I have an ugly suspicion that the Love you forever SMS love confession flashback was actually the anime's first hint at Satone Schichimiya. That girl, I theorise was Satone, and if there's a second season, we may well see her return.

However, Satone seems to be foreshadowed by Several Nibutani - Yuuta interactions that aren't present, and would be tricky to introduce in the anime. Yuuta's notebook has been replaced by the Manigoblion of Mori Summer for one.

If indeed, The Love You Forever Confession flashback is a hint at plans for a future love rival ready to collect on Yuuta's half forgotten promise.....
Yeah, I think people now know what I mean by "it's not written well, but it's not horrible." It was difficult for me to phrase that without saying something that people would misinterpret. In ways, the anime has really structured everything well in a way that Torako didn't in novel 1. (Everyone I've spoken to who have read novel 2 agrees that novel 2 is much better written) At the same time, S/he did so well with creating these fascinating characters that you couldn't help but enjoy the ride. I actually liked how Rikka failed her test at the end; it was realistic. It's a person's first real novel and it shows, but you see promise in it. I think that's why the staff decided to animate it over any other manuscripts that were submitted.

As for Shichimiya, first I can finally show these pictures and explain them:

On the left, we have Yuuta and Shichimiya in middle school. We also see on the right that Yumeha had the teddy bear when Shichimiya was around. In the bottom right, we have Rikka prior to Chuunibyou (seen briefly in anime shots).

And here's a fan-colored version of Shichimiya in middle school:

Given the flashback in episode 1 to Yuuta's introduction and various bits where she could have been mentioned, I doubt they planned to ever have her in the anime. They could bring her in via the "Love you forever" plot-line, but that wouldn't gel with novel 2's plot (which would likely be changed). I'd love to see her get in though.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 03:47   Link #65
novalysis

Just from the picture alone, I get the kind of impression than Shichimiya might as well be the closest thing Yuuta has to a first girl-friend. I just wonder though: if Shichimiya remained just friends despite how close they seem to be and Riika is just as Chuunibyou, how can he be so sure that his relation with Rikka might not end up like Shichimiya? For that matter, does this mean that Rikka as of Volume 1 was even closer to Yuuta in the space of two months, then Shichimiya ever was?

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-11-24 at 04:18.
Old 2012-11-24, 12:33   Link #66
teja208
Critical fanboy

Thumbs up

Great, thanks a bunch for the your hard work megax and to all those who are involved in the translation, I'm truly grateful. I'm planning on reading this right after I finish with the anime so guess I will have to stay away from this tread for the time being. Lastly best of luck with the second novel. I'll be looking forward to know Shichimiya and what part she plays in Yuuta's life.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 22:13   Link #67
Shadow5YA

Wait, so is Shinka's chuuni identity called Mori Summer or Mori-sama? I'm getting different things from the light novel translations and the anime subs.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 22:46   Link #68
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Wait, so is Shinka's chuuni identity called Mori Summer or Mori-sama? I'm getting different things from the light novel translations and the anime subs.
Anime: Mori-Summer
Novel: Mori-sama

In the first novel, the phrase is written "もりさま" which is just a way to say it and doesn't infer any specific meaning. To be honest, I was originally going to leave it as "Mori-Summa" to emphasize the "nickname" aspect. Unfortunately, a chance event happens in novel 2 that specifies exactly "Mori-sama". I think it's not a too spoilerish to say that Shichimiya ends up meeting Nibutani in novel 2. During said event, she calls her "森様" (same pronunciation, but defining the meaning behind it) This ends up emphasizing something I've seen in Japanese writing. If someone only knows the pronunciation behind a word/name, you'll see it in hiragana only. If they know the meaning, it could be in kanji. In both novels, the only one to use the kanji in their dialogue is Shichimiya. Everyone else (even after said event) would use the hiragana phrasing.

Old 2012-11-26, 02:29   Link #69
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Anime: Mori-Summer
Novel: Mori-sama

In the first novel, the phrase is written "もりさま" which is just a way to say it and doesn't infer any specific meaning. To be honest, I was originally going to leave it as "Mori-Summa" to emphasize the "nickname" aspect. Unfortunately, a chance event happens in novel 2 that specifies exactly "Mori-sama". I think it's not a too spoilerish to say that Shichimiya ends up meeting Nibutani in novel 2. During said event, she calls her "森様" (same pronunciation, but defining the meaning behind it) This ends up emphasizing something I've seen in Japanese writing. If someone only knows the pronunciation behind a word/name, you'll see it in hiragana only. If they know the meaning, it could be in kanji. In both novels, the only one to use the kanji in their dialogue is Shichimiya. Everyone else (even after said event) would use the hiragana phrasing.
Is that -sama in "Mori-sama" the same as the honorific, or a separate word with its own meaning?
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-26, 08:17   Link #70
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Is that -sama in "Mori-sama" the same as the honorific, or a separate word with its own meaning?
It is the honorific.

Old 2012-11-26, 09:23   Link #71
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Thanks for the translation. It will be the perfect measure to spend time in boring university courses and of course for a normal reading experience .
I will also probably import the published LN whenever it might be out in the US because LNs are very uncommon in Germany and have another name/description here (I think only a handful LNs by now).
Old 2012-11-27, 13:17   Link #72
Ringil

The writing quality, plot, and many other things about this novel were pretty subpar. Everything seems to happen totally spontaneously. I think the anime presentation of events is much more powerful. Perhaps the 2nd novel is much better though.
Ringil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-27, 23:52   Link #73
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Thanks for translating, ultimatemegax. It's really enjoyable and cute. Nibutani sure is more villainous here. Already get use with her wacky battle with Dekomori on the anime, it feels little bit out of place seeing that side of her more dominant
I hope the anime will have after-confession story, with how their new relation changes themselves and their surrounding :3
Old 2012-11-29, 02:00   Link #74
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

First thing first, thank you and your team, ultimatemegax. I had a good time reading them over the break.

I didn't have, or rather, didn't notice many problems with the writing to be honest. Maybe I've read too many badly written stuffs lately that my sense is kind of dull already (or my language skill is still not there). The thing that got me the most these days is using anime narrative techniques in a written format. (e.g. "she murmured something I can't hear" but the text had exactly what was said despite using a first person narrative.) There is nothing like that here. While that's not exactly a compliment, the same can't be said about a lot of popular works these days in my opinion. The problem I did have is the jarring transition between chapters. The stories are connected, but it doesn't flow. That and Rikka's outburst at the end. Her normal-girl-slipping-out part was not well build-up in my opinion. I can see the anime is hard-working on trying to build up to something similar, which is good news to me.

What I do like is effective use of characters, similar to what a lot of people already mentioned. The casts feel tight and everyone, from the protagonists down to mentioned-only Shichimiya, has a clear role in doing the one goal of the story--getting Yuuta and Rikka together. One thing I noticed after finished reading the book is that as much as I think Kumin/Dekomori/anime-Nibutani are funny, they’re not doing anything when the focus of the show shifted to Yuuta and Rikka (I’ve watched up to episode 8 as of this writing.) On the other hand, everyone in the novel play an important part. Isshiki fit the pervert best friend character to a tee, but he contributed a lot in getting them together. The part I like the most about him is when he gave Yuuta advice like an expert but fumbled when it's about himself. On his opposite side, Nibutani played the skeptic very well. Regrettably, the true class king probably doesn’t have a chance to shine in the anime. Even Yumeha surprised me how crucial her scenes are.

I also said this somewhere else but I’ll touch on it again a bit. I prefer how Yuuta voted for Rikka as the cutest girl even before properly know her. It made him giving Rikka a special treatment more believable in the beginning. The anime has a benefit of time since the period between their introduction and fall in love is much longer, but it still feel like Rikka forced her way into Yuuta’s life in early episodes.

In the literature world as a whole, chuunibyou is probably nothing special, but I think for the light novel market only, it could stand on its own. I’m look forward to the second volume.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 20:04   Link #75
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Some people may have noticed that KyoAni put up a flash game when v2 was announced. I've gone through and made images of what happens (and translated them).

Images
Attack
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Images
Defend
Images
Retreat
Magic menu:

Images
Summon:Kerberos
Images
Devilish Truth Stare Squadron
Images
Ryuuru Star
Images
Summon:Nibutani
Images
Summon:Gotarou
Images
Sword Wave
Images
Over Burst

Old 2012-12-10, 20:16   Link #76
ghostjhohan

game of satone shichimiya?
ghostjhohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 03:00   Link #77
reimi

thanks for translation volume 2 , ultimatemegax
i'm really waiting for this translation
reimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-11, 15:51   Link #78
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

I finished Vol. 1 around half a week ago. Overall it was an enjoyable "ride" especially because I could actually read by myself the (rather large) differences between the two media rather than reading it on the forum .
As I said in the latest episode thread: I enjoyed the way the romance was handled in the anime better; I mean Rikka's blushing and hug-worthy moments were pretty much "HNNGHH" and too hard to resist. Nontheless the "last hurdle" of Vol. 1 was done well enough for me. The confession happened under a different context, but that's fine and the moment was brought across with the right set of emotions..
Old 2012-12-12, 01:33   Link #79
novalysis

I'm currently halfway through the second novel. I seriously imagine that if this was somehow ever adapted, even modified, audiences will perceive Shinchimiya as a Love Rival. A typical development in long running romances, but I'd imagine there'll be quite alot of people complaining about it.
Old 2012-12-12, 08:19   Link #80
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I'm currently halfway through the second novel. I seriously imagine that if this was somehow ever adapted, even modified, audiences will perceive Shinchimiya as a Love Rival. A typical development in long running romances, but I'd imagine there'll be quite alot of people complaining about it.
I've seen some complaints already and while I can see that people could get that impression, it's a vastly different take on someone coming into a relationship. I'll give props to Yuuta; he's Rikka's boyfriend through everything.

Tags
chuunibyou, comedy, kyoani, romance