AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-02-12, 13:03   Link #1
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Lack of RPG and Strategy Games

I was browsing the list of available Eroge-games available in the US market is overflowing with slice of life and harem type games. I would think with the demographic for eroge-games are the same for anime fans, dungeon & dragon and final fantasy. Why are there not more Rpg and Strategy game release in the US market?
Old 2008-02-12, 14:22   Link #2
rg4619

Companies localizing eroge deal with only a few companies, which severely limits what they license. Nonetheless, a few RPGs/SRPGs are being released.

There are probably other reasons why visual novels are favored, such as ease of development (it takes more work to localize and test a complex game, but would they actually sell more copies?), game quality (good ero RPGs are few and far between compared to visual novels), and market expectations (fetish-oriented titles are still the bestsellers, with few mainstream gamers expressing any interest in eroge).
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 14:29   Link #3
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
Companies localizing eroge deal with only a few companies, which severely limits what they license. Nonetheless, a few RPGs/SRPGs are being released.

There are probably other reasons why visual novels are favored, such as ease of development (it takes more work to localize and test a complex game, but would they actually sell more copies?), game quality (good ero RPGs are few and far between compared to visual novels), and market expectations (fetish-oriented titles are still the bestsellers, with few mainstream gamers expressing any interest in eroge).
That is a very big misconception. There are a lot of good Strategy and Rpg ero-games. To name a few:

Princress General 1-2
Suzukuri Dragon (Dungeon Keeper with a Harem)
IkusaMegami 1-2
the Knights of Xenter series (old but still good)
Spirit of Eternity Sword 1-2
the Rance series

Most of these games are form AliceSoft, Softchara and Eushuly. Read the reviews abot these games online and/or check out the sample videos at youtube.
Old 2008-02-12, 15:08   Link #4
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
That is a very big misconception. There are a lot of good Strategy and Rpg ero-games. To name a few:

Princress General 1-2
IkusaMegami 1-2
the Rance series

Most of these games are form AliceSoft, Softchara and Eushuly. Read the reviews abot these games online and/or check out the sample videos at youtube.
All of these are great suggestions. Prepare to have your ass handed to you by a loli many times if you try to play Ikusa Megami 2 though. She's so strong you can't even beat her the first time and have to survive a certain number of turns and the second time you can beat her, but it's not easy at all and she will crush your party in one hit if you are underleveled.
Spoiler:
Any game by Alicesoft and Eushully that says RPG/SLG in it's description is a good bet if you are looking for those types of eroges. Kagado and Studio E.Go and Xuse are also safe bets as well.

More specifically I would recommend on top of those:

Pastel Chime Continue (School Sim/Dungeon Crawler)
Princess of Darkness~Slow Ruin in the Blue Coral Fores (City Conquering SLG)
Song to the Rapids on Mount Fukaki (Dungeon Crawler)
Kyuutei Senki (Airship Combat/Card Combat/Board Game)
Daibanchou (Territory Conquering SLG)
Galzoo Island (First Person RPG)
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 15:14   Link #5
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
All of these are great suggestions. Prepare to have your ass handed to you by a loli many times if you try to play Ikusa Megami 2 though. She's so strong you can't even beat her the first time and have to survive a certain number of turns and the second time you can beat her, but it's not easy at all and she will crush your party in one hit if you are underleveled.
Spoiler:
Any game by Alicesoft and Eushully that says RPG/SLG in it's description is a good bet if you are looking for those types of eroges. Kagado and Studio E.Go and Xuse are also safe bets as well.
Thanks for the heads up. i am currently playing Suzukuri Dragon right now. I am still deciding to play Rance7 or IkusaMegami or Princess General.

Since i have you here. Is Princess General 1 & 2 related to one another or are they like final fantasy just different games in the same series. Same question for ikusaMegami 1&2.

As for looking out for Loli, i am well aware that the more innocent and haremless looking a character is the more badass and kickass they are.
Old 2008-02-12, 15:50   Link #6
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. i am currently playing Suzukuri Dragon right now. I am still deciding to play Rance7 or IkusaMegami or Princess General.

Since i have you here. Is Princess General 1 & 2 related to one another or are they like final fantasy just different games in the same series. Same question for ikusaMegami 1&2.

As for looking out for Loli, i am well aware that the more innocent and haremless looking a character is the more badass and kickass they are.
Both are related, but I know the Princess General 2 DVD comes with the option to view the first games story as an ADV (Stages have been removed) and I believe the same was the case for Ikusa. Ikusa Megami 0 is also due out from Eushully sometime in Spring this year.
Old 2008-02-12, 22:13   Link #7
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:

Princress General 1-2
IkusaMegami 1-2
the Rance series

There are good eroge SLGs and RPGs, but how many are these titles compared to the other eroge ADVs that float around the market? A quick glance at getchu alone should show that ADV and fetish eroges are more prevalent than eroge SLGs and RPGs, with just sheer numbers. That's what rg4619 meant.

With regards as to why they're not released in the US market, rg4619 pointed out most of the reasons. Another one is that Japanse companies don't want to suffer losses by licensing these games only to suffer from low sales in the western markets, and licensing companies don't want to pay for the expensive licensing fees.

I agree with AliceSoft's, Softhouse Chara's and Eushully's titles being great examples of eroge SLGs and RPGs. Another company that does great games is Giga, even though they're not classified as SLGs or RPGs.
Old 2008-02-13, 13:07   Link #8
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

someone else on another pointed it out to the technical problems as well. It is seems a damn shame the US market is not getting some of these incredible games

I just have to get use to using AGTH and/or finding a Chinese translation patch.
Old 2008-02-13, 13:32   Link #9
Snuffle
likes cute things

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that most(?) Japanese companies are not interested in bringing ero games here unless they see a better market for it. It's been stated in a forum from an english erogame translator company which shall not be named, the info came straight from the company. But that was years ago, over 6 years, but, I'm pretty sure it's still the same way.

As for SOME of my personal favs that I would like to see officially translated here are:

Studio.e.go! games
August Soft games

Lots more, just can't remember them atm, I'm at work
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 01:55   Link #10
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
someone else on another pointed it out to the technical problems as well. It is seems a damn shame the US market is not getting some of these incredible games

I just have to get use to using AGTH and/or finding a Chinese translation patch.
I made a brief tutorial on how to use it properly.
Old 2008-02-14, 14:13   Link #11
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
It's been stated in a forum from an english erogame translator company which shall not be named, the info came straight from the company.
Peach Princess.
Old 2008-02-15, 01:06   Link #12
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Peach Princess.
lol, how did you know?
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 13:20   Link #13
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Because they are the only bishoujo game translation company with a message board that purist ero gamers look down on.
Old 2008-02-15, 14:42   Link #14
KBTKaiser

all these titles and not a single mention of utawarerumono, huh? >>;

And honestly there's a lack of these sort of games in general for the western world.

Strategy is for the most part real-time, which Microsoft, Blizzard, and EA Games basically corner the market.

RPGs tend to be either the Final Fantasy variety or obscure mystery-style deals.

the rest of the market? FPS and Sports. -_-
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 14:57   Link #15
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser View Post
all these titles and not a single mention of utawarerumono, huh? >>;

And honestly there's a lack of these sort of games in general for the western world.

Strategy is for the most part real-time, which Microsoft, Blizzard, and EA Games basically corner the market.

RPGs tend to be either the Final Fantasy variety or obscure mystery-style deals.

the rest of the market? FPS and Sports. -_-
Yeah, Utawarerumono pretty much bridges the gap.
Old 2008-02-15, 15:24   Link #16
arcadeplayer987

C&C Red Alert 3 will be released in april while Mass Effect in may on PC
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 09:16   Link #17
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

KBTKaiser and arcadeplayer987, we're talking about bishoujo games here, not the mainstream genres.