AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-04, 16:23   Link #21
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yes, I'm feeling quite melancholic too, its like I lost one of the reasons to live lol. I've been looking forward to early monday and wednesday mornings and I've arranged my sleeping habits to follow it. Right now I lost the drive to wake up precisely for anything else.

I don't feel like finishing the novels as well, it would further reduce my will to live lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-07-04, 16:29   Link #22
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Yes, I'm feeling quite melancholic too, its like I lost one of the reasons to live lol. I've been looking forward to early monday and wednesday mornings and I've arranged my sleeping habits to follow it. Right now I lost the drive to wake up precisely for anything else.

I don't feel like finishing the novels as well, it would further reduce my will to live lol
yeah hoping for more new advertures but now all we can do, is to read the novels and image the whole scenes
Old 2006-07-04, 19:05   Link #23
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

A wonderful, deep, intelligent, hilarious show. Since I said it might become my top anime ever, I've realized that there's no such thing. But it is definitely in the top few, for me, with things like Honey & Clover, KareKano, Uta-Kata, Beck, Planetes, Simoun, Haibane Renmei, YKK and others. But SHnY is excellent in more ways than any other show I know: humor, animation, story, relationships, personalities, voice acting, songs. I was totally hooked from the first couple of minutes of the first episode and only the island episodes left me a little indifferent. In any case, it did not drop off, but rose to a peak in the "final" episode.

It's striking to me that people who like shows I don't like (School Rumble, Yakitate, others) agree on this show and on Honey & Clover. The subtleties of personalities and relationships are important in both. That's not to say I didn't also love the fanservice: Mikuru-chan, Haruhi, even Yuki, and not to forget imouto-in-a-bag.

I know that the first ep put some people off, but I don't really understand that. Of course, I myself thought the animation there was great, not junk, and that the "bad" video was exquisitely choreographed. I didn't even notice that they'd put a screen over it. So someone more sensitive to animation might easily see things differently. I personally think that the show is so unique that anyone who expected what is "normal" -- in look or in episode order -- was probably unable to see the true greatness of what was happening, at least for a while.

But as soon as we got to episode two, it was clear that the animation level here was at the very top of TV anime. Really, though, it was the absurd humor that just grabbed me where I laugh and I was gone.

One thing about the discussions, here and elsewhere, really pissed me off: people complaining about the episode order. It was like they were demanding that this show become more ordinary. Can you see now that there was a reason for everything, and that it worked? This show is art, not Saturday morning cartoons.

And one thing grew and grew on me: Hirano Aya as Haruhi. The way she managed the tonalities in her voice to create subtle feelings was just amazing. I really want to see her in more such serious roles. And the new interview on Youtube just sealed the deal. Let's see: three top ten songs in the past three months, raves for her performance as Haruhi, and a student at a prestigious university at the same time. Like raphael said, it's depressing (lol).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-07-04, 19:38   Link #24
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
(...)And one thing grew and grew on me: Hirano Aya as Haruhi. The way she managed the tonalities in her voice to create subtle feelings was just amazing. I really want to see her in more such serious roles. And the new interview on Youtube just sealed the deal. Let's see: three top ten songs in the past three months, raves for her performance as Haruhi, and a student at a prestigious university at the same time. Like raphael said, it's depressing (lol).
Thanks for the approval from a master like you. ^^
I wasn't especially talking about her actually. But it's true her impersonation of Haruhi is impressive. That's why hearing her with that ridiculous high-pitched voice makes me angry. Just fake. I'm sure she's not acting that much with that Haruhi voice of hers. Proof is, the songs. Much lower, and cooler.
Anyway, the only man here is Kyon. The character is the greatest anti-hero I've seen in years. I love irony, and he IS the Irony.

That said, I think I'll read the novels, in Japanese, because I have nothing else to do with my life.
Old 2006-07-04, 19:51   Link #25
Lost

Quote:
And one thing grew and grew on me: Hirano Aya as Haruhi. The way she managed the tonalities in her voice to create subtle feelings was just amazing. I really want to see her in more such serious roles. And the new interview on Youtube just sealed the deal. Let's see: three top ten songs in the past three months, raves for her performance as Haruhi, and a student at a prestigious university at the same time. Like raphael said, it's depressing (lol).
Oh yeah I must agree with that.. Hirano Aya was spectacular.. watching the RAWs helped me to appreciate that, because I could focus on their voices. I get (good) goosebumps now whenever I listen to the God Knows and Lost My Music. In the interview.. Which one was her real voice?? It was a bit freaky to see her "change" voices like that
Old 2006-07-04, 21:23   Link #26
Animexcel

Impressive series. I'll get this on domestic DVD.
Old 2006-07-04, 22:19   Link #27
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
And the new interview on Youtube just sealed the deal. Let's see: three top ten songs in the past three months, raves for her performance as Haruhi, and a student at a prestigious university at the same time. Like raphael said, it's depressing (lol).
holy heck that changing the voice instantly gives me the creeps...wht i would give to be able to do that she is really multi talented and dam right its depressing makes me feel inferior

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-07-04, 22:38   Link #28
ApathyEcstasy

ironic..the melancholy of apathyecstasy..i wish the series was much much much longer
Old 2006-07-05, 00:46   Link #29
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
holy heck that changing the voice instantly gives me the creeps...wht i would give to be able to do that she is really multi talented and dam right its depressing makes me feel inferior
That was the most annoying voice on the planet. Seriously who talks like that. Seems like a nice girl though if a bit bubbly and shy.
Old 2006-07-05, 01:19   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
A wonderful, deep, intelligent, hilarious show. Since I said it might become my top anime ever, I've realized that there's no such thing. But it is definitely in the top few, for me, with things like Honey & Clover, KareKano, Uta-Kata, Beck, Planetes, Simoun, Haibane Renmei, YKK and others. But SHnY is excellent in more ways than any other show I know: humor, animation, story, relationships, personalities, voice acting, songs. I was totally hooked from the first couple of minutes of the first episode and only the island episodes left me a little indifferent. In any case, it did not drop off, but rose to a peak in the "final" episode.

It's striking to me that people who like shows I don't like (School Rumble, Yakitate, others) agree on this show and on Honey & Clover. The subtleties of personalities and relationships are important in both. That's not to say I didn't also love the fanservice: Mikuru-chan, Haruhi, even Yuki, and not to forget imouto-in-a-bag.

I know that the first ep put some people off, but I don't really understand that. Of course, I myself thought the animation there was great, not junk, and that the "bad" video was exquisitely choreographed. I didn't even notice that they'd put a screen over it. So someone more sensitive to animation might easily see things differently. I personally think that the show is so unique that anyone who expected what is "normal" -- in look or in episode order -- was probably unable to see the true greatness of what was happening, at least for a while.

But as soon as we got to episode two, it was clear that the animation level here was at the very top of TV anime. Really, though, it was the absurd humor that just grabbed me where I laugh and I was gone.

One thing about the discussions, here and elsewhere, really pissed me off: people complaining about the episode order. It was like they were demanding that this show become more ordinary. Can you see now that there was a reason for everything, and that it worked? This show is art, not Saturday morning cartoons.

She's a very motivated girl. KC requoted for great truth, especially the episode ordering.

Tastes differ about her voice - "little girl" voicing is considered attractive by many in Japan, though she was, purposely I think, engaging in some hyperbolic satire. - I don't find the voice annoying so much as just humorous.
However, I have to believe she was in total "put on" mode. She ran circles around the two comedian hosts (I've seen American VAs do the same voice games in interviews ... like Jesse Harnell, Billy West, and the like).
Old 2006-07-05, 01:34   Link #31
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
She's a very motivated girl. KC requoted for great truth, especially the episode ordering.

Tastes differ about her voice - "little girl" voicing is considered attractive by many in Japan, though she was, purposely I think, engaging in some hyperbolic satire. - I don't find the voice annoying so much as just humorous.
However, I have to believe she was in total "put on" mode. She ran circles around the two comedian hosts (I've seen American VAs do the same voice games in interviews ... like Jesse Harnell, Billy West, and the like).
Yeah, Billy West rocks. I actually deliberately try to inspire mass confusion in those around me for fun, by speaking in a very dry and monotone dialect and then switching to a hyper-active dialect usually in the middle of a discussion, all the while relating back to incredibly obscure facts that nobody but myself really cares about. Very few people know what my real voice sounds like because of all this.

You may have seen me do it here by drawing absurd comparisons that on the surface have no relation to the subject at hand but if you understand my personality, have everything to do with the subject at hand. In fact I'm doing it right now

Ok, I'm going to be seriously now, I honestly have to say I can't stand most female Japanese singers, there's just something about there voices that annoys the crap out of me. I like male Japanese singers for the most part though. The exception are some of the major players of the 80's including MIO (Time For L-Gaim, Dunbine Tobu, Various Xabungle Songs, Bismarck and Rie Fujiwara (Dancougar Stuff). Also I like Maaya Sakamoto (Escaflowne among other things) and Rica Matsumoto (Stuff) as well, I think it might be the fact that they have slightly deeper voices than most female Japanese singers. Once the pitch reaches a certain level I pretty much write off the song.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2006-07-05 at 01:48.
Old 2006-07-05, 01:52   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm trying to recall... but so far one of the few VAs I can think of who sings in a pretty low ptich is Asakawa Yuu (VA for Motoko:LH). She's got an almost gravelly voice .. plus she does some singing work I can't characterize as sugary j-pop ... more hard alternative or rockish. A few of the VAs from Negima have pretty low singing voices but my brainspace for names isn't cooperating.

Chiwa Saito is about the only VA who sings in a high pitch that I like - mostly because she's singing such daffy lyrics (PPD).

For non-VA singers..... Ua has a good range - she sings an eclectic mix of jazz, blues, and experimental. KOTOKO seems to have a few ranges she sings in depending on the tune.
Old 2006-07-05, 02:03   Link #33
saphyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy
ironic..the melancholy of apathyecstasy..i wish the series was much much much longer
Yeah, I only just realised that there was only 14 eps. after I finished watching the last one.
It was unexpectedly short in my opinion. Made me sad . But hopefully there would be another series or an OVA or some sort of follow up!
Old 2006-07-05, 02:21   Link #34
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphyre
Yeah, I only just realised that there was only 14 eps. after I finished watching the last one.
It was unexpectedly short in my opinion. Made me sad . But hopefully there would be another series or an OVA or some sort of follow up!
Its the standard length of any Modern anime, basically yes too damn short. Look at it this way, they cut episodes so the budget isn't stretched across a large number of episodes, thus better quality for each individual episode.

On another note Suzumiya Haruhi just passed Trust and Betrayal on ANN, although people have been hammering away at Trust and Betrayal's rating for weeks now, I've never seen a series get so many Awfuls and Worst evers so fast after not being voted for, for like months (In case people don't know I'm not too fond of ANN's ranking system). Where are these Block Voters when we need to get rid of Conservatives and Republicans. You've proved your point, now go home and pat yourselves on the back and maybe vote in a political election or something and vote NDP or Democrat, Christ god knows we need you.

Course in a political election its one vote per person, not one vote for every e-mail address you can create. Its like when Bush won the election, but lost the popular vote to Gore, legitimacy and everything. Stupid ANN, why oh why don't you limit the vote too the IP Address, it just lacks legitimacy this way and feels empty, I'm sure everybody else feels the same way. Oh that's Bayesian by the way, Artithmetically it doesn't even make the Top #50, go figure. Ah ANN, you never cease to amaze in your messed up statistics and constantly innacurrate news reports. Just thought I'd pass the news along if anyone really gives a damn.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2006-07-05 at 04:22.
Old 2006-07-05, 06:12   Link #35
katakami
another procrastinator

Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
I don't think 14 episodes is actually a standard length. ^^;; 13 is a more common number. Even so, 24,25,26 is a lot more common and you also get ones that go into their 60's, 80's, over 100, over 300. Ofcourse you get OVAs which are normally 1-6 episodes... and odd ones like FLCL that finish at 6 episodes.

So in terms of standard lengths, I think, particularly in recent years, they've dissolved. =)

In the case of Haruhi Suzumiya, I also agree 14 episodes was a bit short, but just like the re-arrangement of chronological order, I think it was done on purpose. Considering factors such as budget (the reason for NGE series' tragic final epsidoes), and questioning exactly how much time would sufficiently communicate enough of the story to attract a large audience (and you can't argue this series hasn't caught a lot of attention), I think the thought put into its "duration" was well done. In terms of getting the amount of what you put in, I think Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu wins bonus points. If I were an anime critic, I wouldn't ignore this.

Anyway, it's duration I'd argue was enough if their goal was to give everyone a "taste" of Haruhi Suzumiya. If you want more, read the book, because that's where it all began. I'm certainly not against an OVA or a second series though but, I think it would be tricky to do one and keep the same standard. Compared to a lot of series it's pacing and storytelling was well thought out. For example, I recently finished Gantz and was incredibly frustrated with that pacing - I found myself skimming through the last episodes. I thought it could have been done well in 13 episodes.

Well done to Kyoto Animation - hurry up and release here in Australia so I can buy the series (I RARELY buy).

And thank you a.f.k. =)
Old 2006-07-05, 14:39   Link #36
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
She's a very motivated girl...Tastes differ about her voice - "little girl" voicing is considered attractive by many in Japan, though she was, purposely I think, engaging in some hyperbolic satire. - I don't find the voice annoying so much as just humorous. However, I have to believe she was in total "put on" mode. She ran circles around the two comedian hosts (I've seen American VAs do the same voice games in interviews ... like Jesse Harnell, Billy West, and the like).
She has the same high voice in the video of her archery photo-shoot, so I don't think it's necessarily a put-on. But I certainly doubt it's what she uses every day. Maybe just in "performance" situations like an interview? Is that voice considered particularly polite and feminine? I'm tempted to speculate on the artificiality of Japanese social styles. Not that I don't find the voice attractive, too. Just very artificial-seeming.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-07-05 at 15:04.
Old 2006-07-05, 14:57   Link #37
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Oh well, I'll just contribute a bit.

I actually found ep 1 interesting I just hoped they wouldn't make a movie for 13 more episode, cause I was getting dizzy.

Well, I'm not a novel reader, but ep 1 caught my eye and decided I should watch more. So I assume KyoAni wasn't just targetting novel readers.

Other than that, everything else has been said, so there's no point in repeating (ok, the outstanding animation and level of detail were insane and I have to repeat that Most of the shows I watch seem low quality compared to Haruhi, animation-wise).

And one last thing

*raises banner
KYONxMIKURU FTW

*gets ready for Kanon 2006, prays for Haruhi second season.
Old 2006-07-05, 16:17   Link #38
Zappster

Same here. Episode 1 was what actually got me hooked on the series. I found it to be extremely funny and unique for a first episode(make that any episode) of any anime I've seen. And again I have yet to read the novels. I know of a couple of people like me that took a liking to it after the first episode, without being in on the joke as it were. It's been mentioned but it was mainly because of the "so bad it's good" vibe the movie gave off that we liked it. After that first episode I wanted to find out what exactly was going on. I've been back and checked a couple of things over as well such as some of the clues and stuff they gave which I missed out on first time. It just snowballed from there really.
Old 2006-07-05, 18:59   Link #39
arias

Quote:
She has the same high voice in the video of her archery photo-shoot, so I don't think it's necessarily a put-on. But I certainly doubt it's what she uses every day. Maybe just in "performance" situations like an interview? Is that voice considered particularly polite and feminine? I'm tempted to speculate on the artificiality of Japanese social styles. Not that I don't find the voice attractive, too. Just very artificial-seeming.
I actually quite dislike these sort of voices. In Chinese or Singaporean culture, we call this "act cute", or "zhuang ke ai"... Hayao Miyazaki has noted that many Japanese females have a sort of quality to their voices that tries to appeal and appease men, and he finds this annoying since he prefers stronger females, as shown by the heroines in his work. As such I was actually quite annoyed by Aya Hirano : p Of course, this has happened with virtually all Japanese female stars/celebrities I've seen on TV/media in some sort of casual real life setting.. Utada Hikaru is an example. Urgh.

I think Japanese culture does have an influential role in shaping the vocal character/behavior of members of the two genders. I saw Aya Hirano in other candid shorts, and she speaks like that as well..

Anyway, I am still VERY impressed with her abilities.
Old 2006-07-05, 20:30   Link #40
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
I had a long, long essay about my final thoughts on SHnY, but I figured that it was far too long to post on a forum (and still have a chance of being read). So I'll just summarize the points.

- I don't like the first episode, but I appreciate how technically well-done it is. My dislike of it is entirely because I don't like to see people in embarrassing/humiliating situations when they're clearly not enjoying it.

- For all that Kyon complains that Itsuki uses a great number of weird analogies and metaphors, he does it himself all the time in his internal monologues.

- All the SOS-dan members (and honourary members, meaning Tsuruya, Imouto, Taniguchi/Kunikida, and even Ryouko) are characterized extremely well. (Kunikida being a possible exception.) The VAs especially deserve kudos for completely and utterly fitting the characters so very well.

- The whole bit about episode-shuffling works well in retrospect, especially when I tried watching it in chronological order. That made it seem like all the real action was in the beginning, and then the series just kind of tapered off and ground to a halt (especially since the "last episode" had the three minutes of Yuki reading). But when it was actually going on (when the series was still being aired), it was still quite irritating. This is another case of episode 1 foreshadowing the rest of the series: "It might seem like we're being stupid for no reason, but just hang on until the end, and it'll all make sense."

- I wonder how much of the show's popularity is due to the ending dance. Since I like the song, I'm not complaining.

- KyoAni has done such a great job that when I read the novel translations, I can actually picture exactly how a chapter that hasn't been animated will play out in anime form. Heck, "Endless Eight" hasn't been fully translated, but I've read what the story is about, and I can already imagine Yuki calmly and matter-of-factly explaining the situation while Kyon looks aghast.

- a.f.k. are awesome. You guys deserve every single bit of praise you get.

- I'd not have expected a sci-fi (closed spaces, aliens/time-travellers/ESPers) action ("real" action like in Mysterique Sign and episode 10, and "fake" action like in Day of Sagittarius) school days (obvious) harem (Haruhi, Mikuru and Yuki all taking an interest in Kyon) comedy (Kyon's snark and the bizarre situations) anime to fit so well together.

- SHnY is, I think, one of the ultimate in wish-fulfilment anime: the hope that somehow, in some manner, life will be interesting. Whether by being surrounded by attractive members of the opposite sex, by encountering aliens/time-travellers/ESPers, by winning a tournament, by being involved in a murder mystery, by battling a monster, by living an exciting life... I've found myself comparing my usual worldview to Haruhiism: the belief that strange and exciting things happen, and as Kyon tries to tell Haruhi, they are all around us.

Haruhiism is about not being cynical and jaded, but believing that maybe, just maybe, tomorrow, the great unknown tomorrow, will be interesting and fun.

That, more than anything else, is the final impression I got from SHnY. It's a lesson that I find very useful, and a philosophy worth following.
Closed Thread