AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2021-10-23, 04:48   Link #10841
Rasty

^ It's not even about theft, the real problem is, that they check for dangerous items this way. You can't be surprised that people bring demon-summoning items into towns so often.

Last edited by Rasty; 2021-11-21 at 08:07.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-30, 12:02   Link #10842
dragon1412

To be fair, dpend on some setting, I mean, in Most settings I think that not all have Item box, inventory, so unless one have a sure fire way to check whether people have inventory or not, chance are it going to be ignored anyway, and let's not pretend that even in real world medieval era the check is that serious especially with big city where caravans come and leaves everyday with like 2 or 3 guys checking/
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-22, 11:59   Link #10843
LiTTleDRAgo

Any recommendations for a novel with a loli/cute girl protagonist with a decent plot?

I'm tired of reading harem OP novels lately.
LiTTleDRAgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-23, 03:29   Link #10844
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Hololive Myth

Btw, I saw this in many stories
People got tested for talent by a tool
MC got bad result so bullied
But it turns out MC is either unmeasurable or special so the tool gave wrong result

The question is, why absolute confidence in this measuring tool?
Even for covid you get tested multiple times
But for something that decides your entire life only tested once? Ridiculous
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-23, 13:45   Link #10845
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^Hololive Myth

Btw, I saw this in many stories
People got tested for talent by a tool
MC got bad result so bullied
But it turns out MC is either unmeasurable or special so the tool gave wrong result

The question is, why absolute confidence in this measuring tool?
Even for covid you get tested multiple times
But for something that decides your entire life only tested once? Ridiculous
Because the writer just wanted the situation that arises from it (bullied but secretly super powerful) without actually thinking about the implications of the narrative device.
Old 2021-11-23, 20:32   Link #10846
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^I wish Publishers either fix those plotholes or just pick up smart novels instead
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-23, 23:07   Link #10847
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^I wish Publishers either fix those plotholes or just pick up smart novels instead
I agree, for what it's worth. As time goes I find the most likely thing to get me to stick with a story is evidence the writer actually thought about and planned out their world
Old 2021-12-05, 04:16   Link #10848
dragon1412

Ok, a complain from me, I don't get the hard on the majority of authors have toward close combat fighting. Historically prove that close quarter fight only happen because that's either the only choice or the means to long distance attack no longer exist. From someone who actually practice Kendo for over 7 years now, close range combat, especially with weapons, hurt and actually rarely many people can perform the techniques expertly in an actual live combat situations. It's one thing when the story is about the art or especially have restrictions about weapons and long distance attack, or the MC have no choice or no means except jumping at opponent in a last ditch effort. But most of the time, The MC just randomly practice some scrolls and then jumping at opponent without even looking at the alternatives. I knew that most authors don't practice martial arts, but with how prominent youtube and internet are, I'd say they should at least know that close quarter combat never took the prominent light even in medieval era (English longbow for historically famous example) or even in the east (Samurai was more valued by their bow skill compare to sword, the legendary mounted archers of the Huns.) and was more use for foot soldiers and last resort.

Especially this show it's worst side with CN novel, I remember they have some stupid concept of how power should belong to oneself without any outside force. Which sound so stupid because the entire human history is based on using tool, we developed our hand to pick up stick and throw stone. And sword isn't a tool? spear ? And I can't get someone who picked up a scrolls repeated it thousands of time on air can suddenly expertly using it on battle, I mean, most martial art practitioners nowadays practice the same easily over that numbers and still fudge it during a fight, Even Bruce lee himself admit the whole essence is to strike the opponents weak points with the most effective weapons as fast as possible, which is the same reason why Kendo matchs is essentially centered around the sheer speed of the attack at the right timing rather than some complicated techniques.
Old 2021-12-05, 16:17   Link #10849
Rasty

^ I don't agree with this. Bows sucked against armored opponents and it has also been shown several times that the fabled English longbow can't actually penetrate proper armor of the time. The main weapons for most of human history were pole-arms (meaning upgraded pointy stick) as that is extremely easy to use and gives you enough range to be kept out of harm's way. Also, samurais were good archers, but also often used long weapons similar to spears).

You are right specifically for the sword as if you are in the heat of battle and sword-fighting (especially without a shield) it means you are in deep trouble. The whole reason why most Japanese sword styles put so much effort into the Iai is that you are expected to use the sword only when you are suddenly and unexpectedly attacked, most likely by an unarmored/lightly armored opponent. The best quality of swords was their ease of carrying, because while it's unwieldy to bring your 4m pike to go shopping, you definitely can bring your 1m sword anywhere.

On the other hand, in fantasy, it's easy to imagine a setting where swords might be the mainstream weapon. Firstly swords create much bigger wounds, meaning that if you are fighting something, that doesn't die from a tiny hole randomly in its body (monsters) it might be much more efficient. Also if the fighters have much higher agility/speed, shorter weapons would create much less counterforce and thus could be manipulated at a much higher speed without flinging yourself in the other direction and losing control.
Old 2021-12-06, 03:02   Link #10850
dragon1412

Fully armored opponent is actually make up of a smaller number compare to the entire army though but I agree that you have a point, But pole arm is still running on principle of avoiding full close combat, which almost all MC seem to weirdly love.

I'd not imagined it'd be different in fantasy. Purely on weight and size, smaller war hammer is way more effective. You make a good argument for the sword, but the point still stand that practice is a lot different compare to reality, practice over 100,000 times might sound impressive, but anyone with consistent training, like 100 times a day can easily go over that in around 3 years, and 3 years practitioners are honestly not that impressive. And my point was close combat was something people even in the soldier business generally tend to avoid, and not something that is the 1st choice for most, and many author like it so much that they made MC go close combat despite having serious magic talent or being already a magician. In some case, especially with CN novel, many claimed using tool is inferior way of getting stronger, while they themselves use sword, spear, etc... and not to mentioned that the whole meaning of human evolution is based on tool and that's what get us where we are today. If using sword is not considered using tool, what is ? Frankly the only reason is some weird love toward close combat.
Old 2021-12-17, 16:19   Link #10851
Greenish Growth

The other day I went through all of my outstanding (not started or not caught up) H-novel links and only two of them were deleted stories - so not many wipe outs this time.

"Asakura and Mochizuki-Are the disciplinary committee members cosplayers?" is gone, but I wasn't so much into that one. I was stalled on reading it.

So why was "Ore no Imouto ga Saikou no Okazu Datta" deleted from Alphapolis? They don't allow H-web novels over there?
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-17, 18:49   Link #10852
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
So why was "Ore no Imouto ga Saikou no Okazu Datta" deleted from Alphapolis? They don't allow H-web novels over there?
I haven't kept up with why it vanished from Alpha, but it's still available on Hameln: https://syosetu.org/novel/264928/
And got a light novelish release with illustrations now too, on Amazon and so on.
Old 2021-12-18, 14:31   Link #10853
Greenish Growth

Thanks! I'd better read more of it before it disappears again.

The current web novel trend in the real world romance category seems to be best friends backstabbing main characters by doing stuff with their girlfriends. I hope the best friend isn't the bad guy in the four colored goddeses story.

The backstabbing NTR-loving best friend getting killed after his wedding day in that Nocturne novel was kind of fun though it was rather chilling.

I can't find anything interesting in the web novel general category anymore. I think I usually need something at least a little amusingly evil in it to read it. I should read that "【ティラム逃亡記】幼馴染が聖女に覚醒したので勇者にストーキングされてます。現在全力逃亡中! " because it sounds kind of funny (in an evil sort of way), but I still haven't read past the first chapter. Need to prepare my heart for all that NTR teasing going on in that story.
Old 2022-01-14, 11:18   Link #10854
apr
Pedestrian

I've just caught up on 第7魔王子ジルバギアスの魔王傾国記 by the Vermillion author, and it's pretty good! A human Hero dies at the hands of the evil Maou, but finds himself reborn as the guy's seventh child, and vows to destroy the Maou kingdom from within. Along the way he has to defeat his (much) older siblings, make friends with an insane lich bent on killing all living beings, and also fight some old brothers in arms.

I guess what sets it apart is the angle that instead of using his skillz to improve everything, he's instead trying to break things, which makes it feels fresh after all the usual Narou reincarnations. There's also a heavy theme of how betrayal weighs on the soul, since the way he gains power is by doing things that go against his conscience, due to the way his dark pact works.

On the weaker side, it could stand to up the pacing a bit, since it spends a lot of pages just fluffing about or planning, and I'd prefer some more developed side characters. The naming scheme is also overly punny for my liking. Still an enjoyable read.

Currently roughly 2500 pages long, and there should be a light novel edition out within a few months.
Old 2022-01-22, 15:51   Link #10855
Greenish Growth

Is it the normal setting at Alphapolice that you can't cut and paste the web novels there (or even get the text from the code on the page)?

The webnovel I'm reading posts chapters ahead compared to Nocturne, but I can't cut and paste the text from Alphapolice so I can't read from it.
Old 2022-01-23, 14:25   Link #10856
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
Is it the normal setting at Alphapolice that you can't cut and paste the web novels there (or even get the text from the code on the page)?
Just use an adblocker and disable javascript?
Old 2022-01-26, 00:42   Link #10857
Greenish Growth

Thanks...I'll see if I can figure it out somehow.

It's a pain. >_<;
Old 2022-01-27, 15:38   Link #10858
cabman11

Long time no see
Old 2022-01-28, 18:19   Link #10859
Rasty

^ Yep, nice to see you again. The whole (web novel) forum seems to be kind of dead recently though.
Old 2022-01-28, 20:00   Link #10860
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

Kinda sad.... this place used to be very noisy

Tags
web novel