AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-10-25, 06:02   Link #41
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

I've been enjoying this a lot so far. I heard that EP 1 ended with a banger of a plot twist and I wasn't disappointed.

But after EP3, well... this is a sports anime right? /s
Old 2019-10-25, 06:25   Link #42
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post

It is. Soft tennis can be intense. Hang in there!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-25, 06:27   Link #43
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just for the record, soft tennis rackets are not like traditional tennis rackets. Look closely - much lighter and thinner, in the vein of a badminton racket almost.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-25, 12:51   Link #44
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
Suddenly seeing 9jo in this episode totally caught me off guard.
I wonder if that's what 9jo actually looks like IRL....
Old 2019-10-25, 13:56   Link #45
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I thought this was the "sportiest" of the episodes myself.

Do any of these kids come from a reasonably ordinary home without deadbeat dads or mothers that pour boiling water on infants?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-25, 23:18   Link #46
Decel

Aside from the crazy-disruptive families this club seems to be harbouring, I really like the gradual exposition to the sport the show is laying out.

Things like Maki asking Touma what to do to counter the body hits and him going to check out the girls' (superior) way of playing are the little things I don't recall seeing, or at least seeing often, in other sports anime.

And special note to the dialogue; seriously natural-sounding. "Go die" instead of the typical "Whoa, what me? No way" is refreshing to say the least.
Old 2019-10-26, 03:44   Link #47
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel View Post
And special note to the dialogue; seriously natural-sounding. "Go die" instead of the typical "Whoa, what me? No way" is refreshing to say the least.
That moment when you see an anime with middleschoolers demonstrating more confidence than most highschool anime characters. XP

Last edited by Haak; 2019-10-26 at 05:11.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-26, 05:07   Link #48
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That moment when you see an anime with middleschoolers demonstrating a better more confidence than most highschool anime characters. XP
Yeah but to be fair, in the context of this cast Maki is clearly presented as an exceptionally confident and self-assured kid. There’s a wide variety of personality types with middle schoolers just like any age group.
Old 2019-10-26, 07:00   Link #49
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Are you asking about what they did? Or why it would be wrong to do what they did?
Because I'm pretty sure the answer to both are pretty obvious if you looked at the links.
Ah so basically they stole the dance. Got it.

The links were in japanese. Thought you linked to someone imitating the anime dance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Just for the record, soft tennis rackets are not like traditional tennis rackets. Look closely - much lighter and thinner, in the vein of a badminton racket almost.
You say that, but it doesn't seem to be that much different in overall construction.

Last edited by felix; 2019-10-26 at 07:18.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-26, 12:06   Link #50
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Yeah but to be fair, in the context of this cast Maki is clearly presented as an exceptionally confident and self-assured kid. There’s a wide variety of personality types with middle schoolers just like any age group.
I'm mostly jesting, but it is nice to see a school story where the cast's maturity levels actually match their age in a believable way because I feel like I see a lot of hit and misses these days even in shows that I like anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-26, 21:11   Link #51
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
It is. Soft tennis can be intense. Hang in there!
I was being a bit sarcastic there. This show is a great find this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”
There really is a great variety in the types of fictional sports stories. I myself gravitate to the stories that dive deep into the technicalities of the sport or use the sport as a vehicle for the character growth of the players like Baby Steps, Haikyuu!! and Kono Oto Tomare!.

But stories that have a strong focus on the environment and circumstances surrounding the players like this series and Remember the Titans are also good time to time.
Old 2019-10-26, 21:22   Link #52
Decel

I just realized, is the ED dance-meme-song actually showing for the past week the upcoming pairings that will be applied?
Old 2019-10-27, 05:18   Link #53
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decel View Post
I just realized, is the ED dance-meme-song actually showing for the past week the upcoming pairings that will be applied?
That has crossed my mind as well so I'm going to say very likely.
Old 2019-10-28, 05:28   Link #54
Arya

Well, all considered good episode, (maki is kinda too good at everything, but that's fine since it's a mean to move the plot from its stale set up to a more dynamic one, and Maki will have his moments there for the club to come back in help too).
A bit surprised that touma still lives with her mother after that (horrifying), as much as the bobbed hair boy didn't get suspended nor any parent showed up (yeah, I know that parents in this show are bad, and given the a-holes those kids are nothing good has to be expected by their parents, but the fact they show up won't imply in any way they are not a-holes.

I know it's kinda the wrong anime to be asking it, but I'd like the female team to get introduced and involved. But yeah, probably it will never happen.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-28, 05:48   Link #55
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
A bit surprised that touma still lives with her mother after that (horrifying), as much as the bobbed hair boy didn't get suspended nor any parent showed up (yeah, I know that parents in this show are bad, and given the a-holes those kids are nothing good has to be expected by their parents, but the fact they show up won't imply in any way they are not a-holes.
I think you mistakenly attributed the horrifying incident to Touma and his mom. It was actually Itsuki (the bobbed hair boy) who went through that with his mom and we are told he doesn't live with his parents, just his sister. She's effectively his only family and his guardian and the moment between the two of them at the end of the episode was very sweet although I do wish someone had called him out in harsher terms.
Old 2019-10-28, 05:59   Link #56
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
I think you mistakenly attributed the horrifying incident to Touma and his mom. It was actually Itsuki (the bobbed hair boy) who went through that with his mom and we are told he doesn't live with his parents, just his sister. She's effectively his only family and his guardian and the moment between the two of them at the end of the episode was very sweet although I do wish someone had called him out in harsher terms.
Damn, I don't know how, but I did it. I have problems with the names in this show, but .. anyways, thanks that makes (more) sense.

about that moment at the end I agree with you, it was very sweet, that's why probably I hope for the girls of the show to be involved, I see some potential from them as in this case.

BTW He should have been called out in harsher terms certainly, but I sided with him with no reserves.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-28, 07:33   Link #57
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
There's no reason to think his father doesn't live with them, is there? I mean, his sister is only in 9th grade now - and someone surely would have had to be their guardian leading up to this.
Old 2019-10-28, 21:30   Link #58
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
There's no reason to think his father doesn't live with them, is there? I mean, his sister is only in 9th grade now - and someone surely would have had to be their guardian leading up to this.
Yeah, no comment was made about the dad, only that their mom doesn't live with them. I fake-memoried a dialogue line somewhere in the sequence about his only living with his sister but the only relevant comment in the episode is from the bullies that were teasing him about their parents being divorced and their mom not being present at their home so I assume their dad's still around.
Old 2019-10-29, 11:17   Link #59
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I'm not a sports anime fan because they're mostly boring but this one actually keeps my attention. There's a little bit of everything and I love the main boy especially the part about how he can cook and all. Between this and Beastars, I still haven't yet decided which one comes up on top.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-01, 02:34   Link #60
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Episode 4 came out and it was a great one overall. I'm intrigued by how Japanese schools essentially make their student clubs compete against each other for funding. The student council president sure has a specific outlook on life.

This episode highlighted progress in the storyline, and sets up the next few episodes. I hope the club will gain value out of their future endeavors.

Make sure to watch the entire episode.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sports, tennis