Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-12-30, 19:45   Link #361
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Yeah, I figured some of it was because he knew Thorfinn would screw it up if he got involved, but it was so instinctual the moment he laid eyes on Thorfinn that it kind of came off as Askeladd being protective to me.
I think it was because he didn't want Thorfinn to screw everything up as well. He didn't dislike Thorfinn, but I wouldn't go as far as to say he liked him either. He gave him very nice parting words, but remember the way he sent off the brothers who betrayed him? He gave them money and gave the brother who was still sane some advice on how to live his life. It wasn't that different. The other reason is that Thors was probably the man who impressed him the most in his entire life, so he thought it was a shame to see his son waste his life.
Old 2019-12-31, 03:41   Link #362
Forsaken_Infinity

Amazing final episode. Askeladd was one hell of a character.

The ending montage is seriously disorienting as an anime-only viewer though lol. No idea what's being shown, and too many people that have hair similar to Thorfinn at too many places. It looked like he's in that ship that seems to be piloted by the redhead dude though?
Old 2019-12-31, 09:08   Link #363
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I think it was because he didn't want Thorfinn to screw everything up as well. He didn't dislike Thorfinn, but I wouldn't go as far as to say he liked him either. He gave him very nice parting words, but remember the way he sent off the brothers who betrayed him? He gave them money and gave the brother who was still sane some advice on how to live his life. It wasn't that different. The other reason is that Thors was probably the man who impressed him the most in his entire life, so he thought it was a shame to see his son waste his life.
Interesting, because at first I'd have said the feeling was mutual, but you are right, it's not granted Askeladd felt the same way toward Thorfinn. Sure, he was his last companion since Bjork's demise, but it's hard to say he really liked him.
On the other hand the one thing Askeladd regretted the most, imho, was not having anyone telling him which path to follow. So despite everything he couldn't avoid to give some good advice, to the brothers and to Thorfinn, exactly as he would have wanted for himself back then.
Sure probably he wouldn't have followed it, thinking to be (and also being) the smartest guy in the room, kinda in the same way Thorfinn didn't (for opposite reasons, being the least smart guy in the room).
But in the end I think Askeladd regretted to not have had a father, a father who guided him, and so taking such a one-of-a-kind man Thors was away from Thorfinn probably affected him more than he thought.
Also, to be noted that Askeladd's last scheme main target was Canute and the Danes, Thorfinn's came along naturally but not necessarily. He wasn't even there at the time. But arrived only by chance.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-11, 00:02   Link #364
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Yes, Askeladd became a deep character. And I was glad to see Wales getting some attention in Japan. But maybe because I wanted to see Thorfinn get home and head off with Leif for Vinland, I found much of the series somewhat wasted. And Thorfinn's character seemed to me to get stuck and go nowhere. Well-made, good scenes, good bits of story, but ultimately disappointing, to me, after a great start.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-11, 12:16   Link #365
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Yes, Askeladd became a deep character. And I was glad to see Wales getting some attention in Japan. But maybe because I wanted to see Thorfinn get home and head off with Leif for Vinland, I found much of the series somewhat wasted. And Thorfinn's character seemed to me to get stuck and go nowhere. Well-made, good scenes, good bits of story, but ultimately disappointing, to me, after a great start.
IMO the main character of the prologue is Askeladd. It's only after the prologue that the focus truly shifts to Thorfinn and he receives development. As such, the original anime scenes with Leif were kind of bait and switch.
Old 2020-01-11, 12:51   Link #366
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Yeah, I wonder if they made a mistake in rearranging the narrative order and putting Thorfinn's childhood story first. It might have been better if it solely focused on Askeladd to begin with and maybe even bring his childhood story towards the beginning and have Thorfinn's story on the side (alongside a potential backstory for Bjorn). It might have even made Askeladd's fate a bit more "Eddard Stark"-ish
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-11, 19:03   Link #367
Alchemist007
*Author

I ended up respecting Askeladd more than I would've thought. He's basically a possible future version of Thorfinn. The art, characters, and direction were all above average. Hope to see another season.
Old 2020-01-11, 19:09   Link #368
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Tough to admire Askeladd after he had that entire village massacred. He is the most interesting character in the story though.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-11, 20:32   Link #369
Alchemist007
*Author

It's more understanding than admiration, he's still leading a gang of murderers.
Old 2020-01-12, 13:00   Link #370
Arya

Certainly admiration is not quite the word! But in terms of complexity and depth it's a really well shaped character. It's been a while I didn't meet such an interesting character. In a way he reminds me a lot of Squealer/Yakomaru (even if he had mitigating circumstances Askeladd didn't have).

Of course the fact he is a bad guy gives him the edge over any good guy you can pick up, since they have not the luxury to be explored in their dark sides, otherwise they won't be good anymore

In any case in retrospect I agree that they could have showed Askeladd backstory in place of Thorfinn, it would have worked better given Askeladd ended up being the focus of the whole story. It seemed even more interesting than Thorfinn's.
In the end they did a great service to Aslekadd but not to Thorfinn.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2020-01-12, 13:41   Link #371
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Of course the fact he is a bad guy gives him the edge over any good guy you can pick up, since they have not the luxury to be explored in their dark sides, otherwise they won't be good anymore
Tenma in Monster buys a gun and takes shooting lessons in his pursuit of Johan. Not every "good guy" is good all the time.
Old 2020-01-13, 04:42   Link #372
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Tenma in Monster buys a gun and takes shooting lessons in his pursuit of Johan. Not every "good guy" is good all the time.
Well, I'm not familiar with this show, but taking shooting lessons doesn't mean someone will actually shoot someone else. And even then motivations are also relevant. Anyways I was referring to the complexity of a written character more than a character being good or bad. So for a writer is easier to write a more complex and likely more interesting character if she/he can go both sides.

Old 2020-01-13, 09:40   Link #373
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Well, I'm not familiar with this show, but taking shooting lessons doesn't mean someone will actually shoot someone else. And even then motivations are also relevant. Anyways I was referring to the complexity of a written character more than a character being good or bad. So for a writer is easier to write a more complex and likely more interesting character if she/he can go both sides.
Spoiler:

You should give Monster a watch. It's one of the most highly-respected anime ever made.
Old 2020-01-13, 10:41   Link #374
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I'd say intending to kill a serial killer to stop him still qualifies as being a good guy.
Old 2020-01-13, 15:58   Link #375
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Tenma is pretty torn over the issue though. Even being a "good guy with a gun" is tough for someone who has sworn the Hippocratic Oath.
Old 2020-01-13, 19:41   Link #376
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Tenma is pretty torn over the issue though. Even being a "good guy with a gun" is tough for someone who has sworn the Hippocratic Oath.
That's part of what makes him a good guy.
Old 2020-02-18, 18:41   Link #377
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Been listening to the soundtrack recently. Man I love listening to Track 8 - The Real Warrior. The music in this series really gave it the feel of an epic.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 03:04   Link #378
Blaat

Interesting tweet from the director of Vinland Saga.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

If you look carefully at the bottom left corner of each panel you'll see some Nordic runes, which supposedly translates into: sea, son, two.
Old 2020-09-27, 05:32   Link #379
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yabuta-sensei has been a merciless tease about this. The first time I think it was unintentional but this seems very calculated...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 12:18   Link #380
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This is a pretty clever tease.

Tags
historical