AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-05, 15:58   Link #4061
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well I wouldn't cal it a "riddle", none of the stuff in Maria's books are exactly riddles like the epitaph. It's how Rosa said, they are not riddles they are like math problems.

The main difference is that there are no double entendres, you can trust what the description says and so on.

However Battler decided to solve the cheese problem thinking about it as if it was a riddle, and that's how he got an answer different than what was written in the book.
Beatrice is certainly the kind of person that would use riddles instead of logic problems, so we need think about this closed room case as if it was a riddle.

PS: The guestroom was well defined if I remember correctly. It only covers the bathroom, the bedroom and the walk-in closet.

Old 2010-08-05, 16:00   Link #4062
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Well then, imagine the following:

We have no reliable perspective, therefore, eliminate all perspective-based scenes and look at the closed room strictly as a logic problem. In short, do what we've all been taught not to do over the course of 6 games and look only at the red.

Done this way, Kaisos's answer pretty much works perfectly: The guestroom is inside the cousins' room. Hell, if you want, you can put the guestroom inside the cousins' room inside the next room over, and it doesn't even hurt Shkanon.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Old 2010-08-05, 16:01   Link #4063
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
However Battler decided to solve the cheese problem thinking about it as if it was a riddle, and that's how he got an answer different than what was written in the book.
That's exactly how you're supposed to solve the cups and the coins, though.

There's nothing mathematical about sticking a cup in another cup. You can only do that because the rules don't say you can't. While this is the answer printed in the book, it relies entirely on out-of-the-box thinking. It's a riddle.

Quote:
The guestroom was well defined if I remember correctly. It only covers the bathroom, the bedroom and the walk-in closet.
Yes, that's the guestroom. The cousins' room would cover all of that and more.
Old 2010-08-05, 16:01   Link #4064
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Quote:
That's basically it Usagitempura. The witch's thesis is that Kanon magically disappeared.

Erika was pretty sure Kanon had to be inside the guestroom.

What we need to understand is how Kanon could disappear from the room. We have two different theories that can work, but none of them can be used to solve every other closed room so far. So either Ryuukishi was imprecise in his statements or there is another answer.

There is also Battler's comment "is this even mystery? Those people will complain" (something like that) so we need to expect something ridiculous.

The time was stopped so you can't explain it with the final explosion. Plus would it even be all right to say that the guestroom didn't exist anymore and the chainlock is set at the same time?
Well I seriously didn't say that to suggest it was the answer, if the answer is to be ridiculous I'm going to vote for the most ridiculous one I hear. So I'm going to say the following idea simply to show how a ridiculous idea could actually sorta work.

The definition of "guestroom" changed from being the inside of that room to being the rest of mansion except that room (or maybe simply the corridor). That would allow the chain to still be set to the "guestroom" and for Kanon not to exist in it anymore.
Old 2010-08-05, 16:02   Link #4065
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

But I insist, there's Knox8

The cup riddle isn't good enough as a hint. If a room inside a room like that existed there should be a hint about that.

Quote:
That's exactly how you're supposed to solve the cups and the coins, though.

There's nothing mathematical about sticking a cup in another cup. You can only do that because the rules don't say you can't. While this is the answer printed in the book, it relies entirely on out-of-the-box thinking. It's a riddle.
Eh no, I don't think so. The trick with the cups is something you can actually do it and can work.

The trick of the cheese however is actually impossible, because the cheese would break in reality.

Old 2010-08-05, 16:03   Link #4066
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It's just like the riddle of the cups and the coins. The construction of the cousin's room has never been shown, therefore, nothing prevents it from being composed of multiple rooms! Battler's guestroom is not in the mansion at all! It is inside the cousins' room! When Erika told Hideyoshi she was going into the cousins' room, she wasn't lying; she never left the guesthouse at all!
I like the idea quite a bit. I'm not sure it works, but let me meditate a little on it.

The "cousins room" backgrounds are shown to have two beds on them, but not four. On these backgrounds, the beds stand next to a "living room" area which contains a coffee table, a dresser and three chairs.

To contain four cousins, four beds would be needed. In hotels, which everyone assumes the guesthouse to be, it is not uncommon to have two two-bed rooms next to each other connected by a door between them, which would produce a single room with two entry doors, divided by a wall with a third door in it. Considering that two of the cousins are girls and two are boys, this is only natural for otherwise quite Victorian sensibilities of the Ushiromiya main family.

...wait. Huh?!

But then the door of the next room over could lead into the cousins room again through the intermediary door, wouldn't it?

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-08-05, 16:03   Link #4067
chronotrig

Quote:
What we need to understand is how Kanon could disappear from the room. We have two different theories that can work, but none of them can be used to solve every other closed room so far. So either Ryuukishi was imprecise in his statements or there is another answer.
It's the quote that's been translated imprecisely. Ryuukishi never said that one single trick could explain all closed rooms. He just said that whoever understands the final EP6 trick should have everything they need to solve the game. "謎は全部解けてもおかしくない". That means they should be capable of solving everything eventually, not that knowing the trick explains everything by itself.

He also said that many people had found the key, so I doubt it's something that we've never thought of before.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
Old 2010-08-05, 16:04   Link #4068
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
But I insist, there's Knox8

The cup riddle isn't good enough as a hint. If a room inside a room like that existed there should be a hint about that.
What defines "good enough" to you, though? The cups and coins clue is there. That makes it at least something a solution could rely on, as it is a clue that has been presented. It may not be a good or detailed clue, but Knox doesn't say that.

Old 2010-08-05, 16:04   Link #4069
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
The cup riddle isn't good enough as a hint.
Why isn't it? Moetrice tells us that she got the solution from a book... and at almost the same time, the cups diagram flashes across the screen.
Old 2010-08-05, 16:06   Link #4070
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
What defines "good enough" to you, though? The cups and coins clue is there. That makes it at least something a solution could rely on, as it is a clue that has been presented. It may not be a good or detailed clue, but Knox doesn't say that.
Heh, if only you applied that logic to my theories...

Old 2010-08-05, 16:07   Link #4071
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
But then the door of the next room over could lead into the cousins room again through the intermediary door, wouldn't it?
Indeed it could.

...What if they all count as the same room?

Cups. And. Coins.
Old 2010-08-05, 16:09   Link #4072
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Assuming this solution, the "key" could be something as simple as "the situation perceived and interpreted by the detective or a reliable perspective is not necessarily true simply because the perspective was reliable."

I've mentioned before that many of the closed rooms are "closed" only because Battler thinks they are, or makes an assumption (such as that people in a closed room are dead BEFORE the closed room is broken open). Since he's the protagonist, he makes assumptions. The same can be said of the ep5 knock. If there was no knock, the solution is easy. We make the assumption that because Lambda tells us so many things about what the knock wasn't, that means the knock was; that is, we assume there was a knock because she told us all the ways the knock could not have happened, leaving us to draw the conclusion that there exists a way in which the knock did happen. But she doesn't really mean that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Then I would still draw mostly the same conclusions, since you speculate on things that aren't presented?

Old 2010-08-05, 16:09   Link #4073
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Quote:
Yeah all the 3 = 1 references in the game I believe hints far more about Shkanontrice then about the final closed room... Not to say that final closed doesn't follow the same logic.
Old 2010-08-05, 16:10   Link #4074
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
It's the quote that's been translated imprecisely. Ryuukishi never said that one single trick could explain all closed rooms. He just said that whoever understands the final EP6 trick should have everything they need to solve the game. "謎は全部解けてもおかしくない". That means they should be capable of solving everything eventually, not that knowing the trick explains everything by itself.

He also said that many people had found the key, so I doubt it's something that we've never thought of before.
Quote:
本当は救出方法が分かれば、「EP1」から「EP4」の謎は全部解けてもおかしくないんです。
特に、今回は、ヒントという名の答えをどんどん出していますので、今までの密室の謎は全て説明 できるはずな んです。
However the senteces continues and it says you should be able to solve any closed room trick so far.

Quote:
Why isn't it? Moetrice tells us that she got the solution from a book... and at almost the same time, the cups diagram flashes across the screen.
Because the clue must be related to the setting itself. In the case of Kinzo's study the hints were specific for Kinzo's study. This kind of "clue" you are proposing is not even closely related. It can work as a hint for the solution but not as a clue of the guesthouse odd architecture.

Old 2010-08-05, 16:13   Link #4075
chronotrig

Quote:
However the senteces continues and it says you should be able to solve any closed room trick so far.
Yes, but he doesn't say that one single trick should do it. In fact, he says you should be able to do it "after all of the many hints we released in this game". Also, he doesn't even say that the hints from this game should lead you to the solution on their own. He's saying that, by using everything that he's shown so far, including EP6, it should be possible to find the answer.

So, it has absolutely nothing to do with one trick that solves everything. That doesn't mean there isn't one, but it's not what Ryuukishi is saying here.

Old 2010-08-05, 16:16   Link #4076
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Because the clue must be related to the setting itself. In the case of Kinzo's study the hints were specific for Kinzo's study. This kind of "clue" you are proposing is not even closely related. It can work as a hint for the solution but not as a clue of the guesthouse odd architecture.
All Knox 8 says is that it is forbidden for the case to be resolved with clues that are not presented. It says nothing about how or when said clues are presented.
Old 2010-08-05, 16:16   Link #4077
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Are you totally sure? Because I see it slightly different, it looks to me that Ryuukishi is talking about specific hints revealed in episode6, and not "all the hints so far including EP6".

Old 2010-08-05, 16:19   Link #4078
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
All Knox 8 says is that it is forbidden for the case to be resolved with clues that are not presented.
The coin trick doesn't work as a clue, at best it works as a help a lead or a teaser.

A "clue" is more specific for something that regards the setting.

Old 2010-08-05, 16:21   Link #4079
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Where does it say that? I see no rule that says that.
Old 2010-08-05, 16:21   Link #4080
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
The coin trick doesn't work as a clue, at best it works as a help a lead or a teaser.

When is the word "clue" defined? You're working within the confines of a story in which something that is not a corpse can be called a corpse, remember.

Closed Thread