AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you buy anime/manga?
Yes, I buy it. 61 79.22%
No, I just download it. 12 15.58%
Kind of, I pay for a subscription service (Crunchyroll) 4 5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-05-31, 12:49   Link #21
Keitorin
shiny umbreon

I buy my manga, but DVD's are so expensive ^^" I buy them when I actually have the money but not usually.
Keitorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 15:19   Link #22
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

I've only ever bought one manga series: Neon Genesis Evangelion. I think the art is great, and I love the changes Sadamoto made to the original story - he tightens the plot and improves the character development, which are two of the most important things to me in a story.

Besides that, I've bought two anime DVDs (the NGE Rebuild movies) and I'm planning to buy Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya when it comes out in English. Why? Well, it's not so much to support the people who made them (they're doing well enough without me); instead, I buy them for the sake of having a physical copy without too much expense. I would never buy a TV series due to the price, but purchasing a single DVD is an easy way of saying, "Yeah, I like this, I'll pay money for this, but I'm not going to get carried away."
Old 2011-05-31, 17:37   Link #23
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I sometimes buy the DVDs if I really like a show to support the creators, but I personally hate DVDs. It's extremely restrictive format. I'll have to rip them anyways to get any use since I mainly watch anime on a netbook and an iTouch. Even elsewhere I prefer my anime as files rather than disc, it's more convenient to stream when watching on a television and using the optical disc drive on my Thinkpad is a waste of battery life. As of recently, I download every series I watch whether I buy the DVD or not, most of the DVD's I buy nowadays will probably never even be opened.

Also I don't buy stuff blind. All series I watch for the first time are probably downloaded, the above only is about stuff I want to keep archived for later re watching.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-31, 18:08   Link #24
Forsaken-Waffle
That Goon Day!!

Send a message via MSN to Forsaken-Waffle Send a message via Yahoo to Forsaken-Waffle
Well it depends if im only gonna read it for one day then ill just read it online but if its like one ill re-read then i will buy it
Old 2011-05-31, 22:15   Link #25
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Yes I do I like re-watching dvds many times and re-reading manga many time as well. Its so hard to re-watch or read any thing online because you keep finding new stuff
Old 2011-05-31, 22:15   Link #26
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

When its possible, yes I do buy DVDs of Anime Series I want to watch that is licensed or want to own a series that I enjoyed or my favorites. I keep them as a hardcopy and use a program called Ripit to make a legal backup image of the discs so I can watch them on the go without damaging the originals. I do not buy Blurays since my computer cannot read them and their DRM is very restrictive compared to DVD. However, I do not buy often since I'm still in college and don't have an internship or a job yet.

As for streaming, I'm against it at its current state... you need an internet connection just to view it and considering that many ISPs are starting to implement metered internet, it doesn't look appealing.
Old 2011-06-01, 12:08   Link #27
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Yeah, of course. o.o I want to support the creators!!

I also hate reading manga on the computer....and .mkv fansubs can be a pain in the ass with lagging lol
Old 2011-06-01, 15:57   Link #28
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I spend a few hundered a year on DVDs... would like to spend more but I'm going back to university in the fall so I have to watch my spending. Pretty much everything I buy is something I've already seen, usually on fansub but not always.

I buy mainly to support the creators although I do like a nicely packaged product - that's why I love NIS America Premium Boxes so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
and .mkv fansubs can be a pain in the ass with lagging lol
If you're computer was built in the last few years, there's a chance this has to do with your software configuration (which admittedly can be a major PITA).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 16:21   Link #29
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

For now, I only buy R1 DVDs, because I don't understand Japanese well enough to get it straight from there, and it's just way too expensive.

Given that fansubs got me into watching anime, without them, I wouldn't have bought DVDs, CDs (OPs, EDs, character albums, stuff like that), manga or even the figurines I have now. So, downloading anime definitely helped for me. And I keep subbed DVD/Blu-Ray rips around as well, in case I'm not near my DVD player and want something to watch when I'm in my room. Plus, fansubbers usually have features you can't find on a DVD (like advanced karaoke or non-standard fonts).

I still have a lot of shows I wish to buy DVDs from, but my budget is extremely limited, so I have to be very picky what shows I can actually purchase, assuming I don't blow my money on a nice figurine (which, BTW, are direct imports).

I probably have over $1,000 worth of anime-related merchandise in my room and considering the fact that I'm still pretty much a newbie, this will undoubtedly only get more as time floats on.

Oh, and I refuse to buy a show I haven't watched through a fansub, CR, or otherwise. I don't like buying stuff that might not click well with me, so I'd like to try a show out and then I decide whether or not I'll get the DVDs (assuming they get licensed, that is).
Old 2011-06-01, 19:12   Link #30
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
I owned a few R1/R2 DVDs, but the quality of both dub and sub was attrocious.

I have a few english and german translated manga, with which I am also dissatisfied, primarily because of the occasional censoring and over-localisation.

For the most part, I buy artbooks, doujinshi, magazines.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-01, 19:22   Link #31
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Use to spend a little bit on DVDs, but not anymore now. It's the same with figures. I do still spend a fair bit on manga though and started also buying light novels as of last year.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 17:10   Link #32
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I buy the odd movie on blu-ray but never usually an entire series unless its a well priced boxset.

Manga I do buy (especially battle angel alita <3 and last order) but its difficult to get here so I end up having to order it from overseas. =/

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 21:31   Link #33
Penpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myname View Post
Do you actually buy DVDs/Manga or do you just buy another hard drive to store your downloads? Would you have bought it if you couldn't download it online?
This is way to limiting of a poll and should include those that rent the DVD/BD as well?

Quote:
If you do buy it after downloading it online, do you actually watch it or buy it for the sake of supporting the creators? It is more convenient having a collection on your computer rather than searching through DVDs for the shows you want to watch.
There should be more polls selection if you going to ask that kinda question?
Penpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 21:41   Link #34
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
Do you actually buy DVDs/Manga or do you just buy another hard drive to store your downloads? Would you have bought it if you couldn't download it online?
Yes I do actually buy my Manga/DVDs. Depends on how interested I am in certain Anime and Manga if I can't download something online I will buy them yes.

Quote:
If you do buy it after downloading it online, do you actually watch it or buy it for the sake of supporting the creators? It is more convenient having a collection on your computer rather than searching through DVDs for the shows you want to watch.
Chances are if I buy anime after downloading it online the original downloaded episode will be in Japanese so naturally that means yes I would watch it again especially so I can compare the translations and to see how the dub sounds. But I also do it to support the creators.

Personally I enjoy having a shelf full of various video games/manga/dvds, you don't get that feeling of awe in your collection by looking though them digitally.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 09:38   Link #35
einhorn303

I might be a rare population on these forums in that I don't use fansubs/scanlations at all. I only watch/read anime/manga through legal means, be it buying or legal streaming services like CrunchyRoll. I import some Japanese stuff, but only if it has English subtitles (like the Nanoha movie Blu-ray, or Nogami Takeshi's Strike Witches.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 09:48   Link #36
Haladflire65
*Artist

I don't buy DVDs because prices for them are ridiculous but I do buy manga in their original formats (can't stand translations...). I got most of them while I was living in Tokyo from places like Mandarake where you can get older volumes for 300 yen or less, but since I moved out again I have to rely on large Korean bookstores' imported Japanese books. My manga collection really isn't much since I have parent supervision and money restrictions... so far I only have a little over a dozen FMA volumes, 2 Pandora Hearts, 10 Kuroshitsuji, 15 Soul Eater and volume 10 of Hellsing
Old 2011-06-05, 10:25   Link #37
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Yes, I by the DVDs for the shows I like.

The way I think of it is that I'm watching the shows as if they are broadcast on TV, and then I buy the DVDs if I really like the show. (Although I always wait for the full collection because I'm cheap).

I have The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Read or Die OVAs. I keep going back and forth on whether or not to get Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I probably will once I see it on sale.

I intend to get Crest of The Stars, still arguing back and forth with myself over Starblazers (mainly because I'm afraid that I won't enjoy it as much now, and that it'd be better to keep it as a fond childhood memory.)

Still waiting for Cross Game and Madoka Magica to get dubs.

Maison Ikkoku I understand lacks a full dub for all four seasons, so I'm hesitant to shell out the money.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 13:07   Link #38
Raiga
tl;dr

The poll needs more options... at the very least there should be one for both 1 and 3, though it's all three for me.

I download a lot, but I stream legally whenever I can, and since I've recently started to get disposable income I've been buying moderate amounts of DVDs, manga, LNs, CDs, and an artbook now and then (they're so nice but so expensive...). I'm actually more inclined to buy stuff I haven't seen/read yet, just judging by the staff, studio, and reviews or recommendations from friends. However, I'm also starting to buy legal copies of personal favorites that I first watched illegally.
Old 2011-06-05, 13:23   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
The poll needs more options... at the very least there should be one for both 1 and 3, though it's all three for me.

I download a lot, but I stream legally whenever I can, and since I've recently started to get disposable income I've been buying moderate amounts of DVDs, manga, LNs, CDs, and an artbook now and then (they're so nice but so expensive...). I'm actually more inclined to buy stuff I haven't seen/read yet, just judging by the staff, studio, and reviews or recommendations from friends. However, I'm also starting to buy legal copies of personal favorites that I first watched illegally.
That's probably the optimum spread for most young people - buy what you can when you can. The more you make in income, the more you can be a "supporting patron" rather than the "peanut gallery".
Old 2011-06-05, 13:37   Link #40
foxnaught

Due to the cost of DVDs/BDs I don't buy series, instead I'll buy movies though, such as Shinkai Makoto's stuff (eg 5cm per Second), Akira, etc

When it comes to manga, I divide it up into series that I'd read but wouldn't waste money on (eg Bleach) and stuff I'll buy because I really like the series, for example FMA, Battle Angel Alita: Last Order and Gunsmith Cats. I'll also snap up rare items that I know don't go into print often. For example, at a previous Free Comic Book Day, one of the tables had the first two volumes of the original Gunsmith Cats run (), volumes 1-2 of You're Under Arrest as well as all 6 of Samurai Girl: Real Bout High School (I love Sora Inoue's artwork ). Everyone looked at me funny when I pushed through them, grabbed the manga and ran off to the nearest cashier, haha. Fools were too busy fawning over Naruto and One Piece to see what they missed...
foxnaught is offline   Reply With Quote