AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-19, 21:12   Link #221
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nines View Post
Behavior is key but how do you not know that he isn't treating Ranka like a little sister?
Because she is BleachOD, and she will not accept an alternative different from her lenses

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-19, 21:12   Link #222
nines
I much prefer the 2d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Because she is BleachOD, and she will not accept an alternative different from her lenses

- Tak
Oh? not open to other possibilites eh?
Old 2008-07-19, 21:49   Link #223
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

I think Alto treats Ranka like a little sister until ep 12. Since them, he's treating her like... well... I guess he finally realised she is a little woman, too.

Last edited by Zaresh; 2008-07-21 at 13:37.
Old 2008-07-19, 21:56   Link #224
zalem

That's basically the way I see it. He treated her like a kid sister, but then after her MOE song attack in ep. 12 he begins to see her in a new, bit more romantic light.
Old 2008-07-19, 22:03   Link #225
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
That's basically the way I see it. He treated her like a kid sister, but then after her MOE song attack in ep. 12 he begins to see her in a new, bit more romantic light.
Pretty much how I saw it too. Too bad their relationship has such a shaky foundation because it makes Alto's new interest in her feel forced.
Old 2008-07-19, 22:06   Link #226
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

whatever u do in the future, just dont cut your hair, ok "hime-sama"
Old 2008-07-19, 23:44   Link #227
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
The same way I promote IchiRuki. Alto behaves as if Ranka is the one he cares most for. Behavior is key!
Right... As if you've been watching the same show as the rest of us.

His biggest cares are when's the next time he's going to fly his VF-25(before smashing it). He's been so wishy washy and clueless with these two girls, you can't make that kind of judgement for the first 15 episodes. What might happen after is open to discussion absolutely. But the first 15 episodes proves he doesn't care for one girl over the other.

God I hate characters like him in the romance department. I've gotten so sick of these stereotypes in anime over 10 years ago.
Old 2008-07-20, 00:33   Link #228
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I wonder when she will stop mentioning Bleach. Its nice and all that she likes the show, but a lot of us simply aren't very enthusiastic about Bleach nor do we believe this is the best place to post anything about it. Look, the bottom line is fairly simple, we don't give a shit, and she should get a clue.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-07-20, 02:37   Link #229
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
The same way I promote IchiRuki. Alto behaves as if Ranka is the one he cares most for. Behavior is key!
That had nothing to do with what you quoted.

Quote:
What part are you not understanding? Alto has been emasculated. ..
Emasculation refers to the physical or symbolic removal of the male genitals. In context, we're talking about a symbolic act, which depends on Alto's interpretation. So we can't say that Alto "has been emasculated" (implying that he was forcibly subjected to the act). At most, we can only say that Alto "percieves himself to be emasculated" or "feels emasculated".

While social pressures often influence our perceptions of what's masculine (or more often, what isn't), there's nothing absolute about the concept. Whether or not Alto percieves himself as masculine depends on his self-image and his personal definition of masculinity.

In order to resolve these feelings (if they really are an issue for him), Alto needs to address their roots. In other words, he must learn to accept himself unconditionally. Alto is a man. He doesn't need to prove anything to remain that way.

What you're promoting is a state of dependency. If the proof of Alto's manhood lies in something external to himself, then his masculinity will be conditional. At best, he'll end up living out his life in the fear that the external source of his masculinity will be "cut off".

But personally, I don't think that Alto feels emasculated. I'm simply pointing out the flipside to your ideas.
Old 2008-07-20, 02:45   Link #230
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Quote:
God I hate characters like him in the romance department. I've gotten so sick of these stereotypes in anime over 10 years ago.
I feel the same way..i mean how retarded can you be.
Sheryl is practically throwing herself at Alto.
I mean i aspect micheal to give head ups about Sherly loving Alto
Old 2008-07-20, 04:05   Link #231
magnuskn

Quote:

His biggest cares are when's the next time he's going to fly his VF-25(before smashing it). He's been so wishy washy and clueless with these two girls, you can't make that kind of judgement for the first 15 episodes. What might happen after is open to discussion absolutely. But the first 15 episodes proves he doesn't care for one girl over the other.

Can´t say that I too hot about that stereotype either, just comparing to how I was feeling about girls at the tender age of 17.

Then again, if he wasn´t as clueless sexually, he´d be Michael. And then Sheryl would not be interested in him.
Old 2008-07-20, 05:58   Link #232
Westlo
Lets be reality

If next episode contains something like...

Alto - Why did you push yourself so much to see me when you are sick!
Sheryl - Don't you know...
Alto - *grins* ah you just want to mess with me right?
Sheryl - .....

I will facepalm like I've never facepalmed before.
Old 2008-07-20, 06:28   Link #233
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

Sheryl - .....

Well, if I am judging the screenshot from the preview on Random Curiosity correctly, it may be that Sheryl is meeting Alto to give him some extra something.

Then again, that *other* screen at the Frontier webpage suggests he doesn´t know how to appreciate good things coming to him.
Old 2008-07-20, 11:19   Link #234
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

Sheryl - .....

I'm certain that I would join you in the facepalm.
Ummm...while you're out, Alto, can you get a CLUE????

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-07-20, 13:06   Link #235
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
He's gotta be gay. He's really in love with Michael but is in denial. There's no other reason to explain how he's so indifferent with two girls throwing themselves at him like they do.
Old 2008-07-20, 13:24   Link #236
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Yea..im starting to suspect that !
Old 2008-07-20, 13:35   Link #237
zalem

It's the VF-25 I'm telling you. AltoXVF-25 is the thing to ship. Along with BreraxVF-27.
Old 2008-07-20, 13:40   Link #238
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

What would that be? Aerosexuality? Mechasexuality?
Old 2008-07-20, 13:43   Link #239
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
I'm certain that I would join you in the facepalm.
Ummm...while you're out, Alto, can you get a CLUE????

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Come on, give the guy a break. Just look at the type of role model he had growing up. Plus he's had to play the role of a girl since he could remember. It's not surprising that he's such a late bloomer .
Old 2008-07-20, 13:45   Link #240
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
Come on, give the guy a break. Just look at the type of role model he had growing up. Plus he's had to play the role of a girl since he could remember. It's not surprising that he's such a late bloomer .
Once again, I love how Macross Frontier is setting up its characters. Every time they encounter what is seemingly a conventional anime device, there is a very plausible explanation behind it, or twists that you'd least expect

- Tak

Closed Thread