AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-12, 08:49   Link #24541
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Threat-focused Iran launches 'biggest ever' air drills
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AB05K20121112
Quote:
"These drills convey a message of peace and security to regional countries," Shahrokh Shahram, the spokesman for the exercises, told the broadcaster on Monday. "At the same time they send out a strong warning to those threatening Iran."
That's pretty much a contradiction, no ?
Old 2012-11-12, 12:10   Link #24542
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
THE BBC’s present mess began when “Newsnight”, a heavy-hitting news and current affairs programme, failed to run a story alleging that Jimmy Savile, the recently deceased popular DJ and presenter, had been a paedophile, aggressively preying on young women and boys. It then compounded the problem, by running another programme, which alleged there had been a cover-up involving a senior Conservative of the Thatcher years, which ensured that his name emerged through social media websites. But the story was wholly untrue: Lord McAlpine was not the alleged offender, as his accuser, the programme’s source, has now admitted.
Out of this mishandled mess, the BBC has lost a newly appointed director general and much credibility. Its own “key values” commitments include “quality” and “trust” and it has squandered both in this sorry saga. Many senior figures have, in its quaint parlance, “stepped aside” pending the outcome of a number of inquiries, all of which are likely to find the corporation wanting in some way. Many lessons will be learned, not least how easy it is for sloppy journalism to sneak through holes in accountability and management in sprawling organisations.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/bligh...#sort-comments

BBC gave itself 2 black eyes in a late Halloween costume.
Old 2012-11-12, 15:37   Link #24543
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

The Five Next Big Trends in Mexican Food in the United States

Quote:
This Thursday, I fly to the University of Houston in what will be the official end of my Taco USA: How Mexican Food Conquered America tour. It's been a great ride that has taken me from the Bay Area to Texas about a million times, the South and virtually all other points, but while the tour ends, the conversation continues FOREVER.

At each stop, someone inevitably asks the following: what do you think will be the next big trend in Mexican food in this country? And, as always, I have an answer. For those entrepreneurial readers out there: capitalize on one of these fast, and you'll become a millionaire many times over--interested?
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickafork...ood_trends.php

Old 2012-11-12, 17:35   Link #24544
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'm just waiting for the US to catch on to Kebabs.
Old 2012-11-12, 18:39   Link #24545
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A large part of our Latino immigrants in Oregon are from farther south, Gautemala, Columbian, Peru -- so in addition to "Mexican" (was raised on Tex-mex, New Mexico, and Sonoran/Chihuahuan), we're getting restaurants that head *way* south in regional food.

Kebabs are around in various Turkish, Lebanese, etc restaurants and the outdoor farmer markets almost always have street food vendors selling kebabs (variety on origin) but no big chains I know of.
Old 2012-11-12, 21:06   Link #24546
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Tulsa dad arrested after toddler found in cage
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...11-12-18-46-12
Quote:
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A Tulsa man was arrested after police found his 18-month-old daughter locked in a metal dog cage, his naked 4-year old daughter outside on a cold afternoon and him asleep in a drug or alcohol "induced stupor," police said Monday.
Old 2012-11-12, 21:46   Link #24547
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I'm just waiting for the US to catch on to Kebabs.
Kebab is already part of the Mexican food tradition, but you will not see that word anywhere, many places that sell tacos also sell Tacos de Trompo which as you can see is basically the same thing. For anyone wondering "Trompo" is translated as spintop.
Old 2012-11-12, 22:19   Link #24548
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
Kebab is already part of the Mexican food tradition, but you will not see that word anywhere, many places that sell tacos also sell Tacos de Trompo which as you can see is basically the same thing. For anyone wondering "Trompo" is translated as spintop.
Looks similar to a Doner, but probably flavoured differently (for one, you need garlic sauce...).

Also, there's Shish, Shwarma, Kafta...
Old 2012-11-13, 01:05   Link #24549
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Looks like a compression blast from the picture, which means it's not meth, and extremely unlikely to be gas - you'd need a lot of gas, which also happens to be pressurized somehow for this to happen. Not impossible, but not very likely.

You're looking at some serious tonnage of explosives here, old TNT or solidox comes to mind first, eitherway, whatever it was, they had enough of it to give a 500 pounder a run for its money.
The article actually goes on to say that,
"Deputy Fire Chief Kenny Bacon told reporters Sunday investigators haven't eliminated any possible causes for the blast. But U.S. Rep. Andre Carson, who represents the area, said he had been told a bomb or meth lab explosion had been ruled out."
I think the most obvious conclusion is a gas explosion considering the history of such incidents in that region. We'll know for certain pretty soon, but I bet the gas company is sweating like, as George Carline once said, "a whore in church."
Old 2012-11-13, 01:34   Link #24550
kyp275
Meh

@monir

Yea, been keeping an eye on this, it appears the house in question had a faulty furnace, which is why the occupants moved to a hotel, and apparently someone recalls smelling gas in the area.

Without knowing the timeline or the nature of the furnace's malfunction, it's hard to speculate, but one possible scenario would be that the furnace broke down (with the igniter stil working) before/during the middle of the week when it was warm, the occupants moved out, not knowing there was a leak, and the gas continued to leak for days until the temperature dropped again, until it got low enough in the house where the thermostat tried to start the furnace - and up goes the neighborhood.
Old 2012-11-13, 01:49   Link #24551
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
@monir

Yea, been keeping an eye on this, it appears the house in question had a faulty furnace, which is why the occupants moved to a hotel, and apparently someone recalls smelling gas in the area.

Without knowing the timeline or the nature of the furnace's malfunction, it's hard to speculate, but one possible scenario would be that the furnace broke down (with the igniter stil working) before/during the middle of the week when it was warm, the occupants moved out, not knowing there was a leak, and the gas continued to leak for days until the temperature dropped again, until it got low enough in the house where the thermostat tried to start the furnace - and up goes the neighborhood.
Scary stuff. Pretty much one of the reason when I bought my house, I was looking for all-electric with a wood-burn fireplace option. A friend of mine also pointed out from one of the picture that if it was anything like TNT explosion, then that car which was still sitting in the driveway of the second house would have been gone too. With gas explosion, he said, the most energy expansion is always upward which is why the car was probably spared.
Old 2012-11-13, 07:20   Link #24552
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Special Report: How a vicious circle of self-interest sank California city
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AC0HP20121113
Old 2012-11-13, 12:00   Link #24553
willx
Nyaaan~~

Elmo puppeteer accused of underage relationship

NEW YORK (AP) -- The puppeteer who performs as Elmo on "Sesame Street" is taking a leave of absence from the iconic kids' show in the wake of allegations that he had a relationship with a 16-year-old boy.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

The prediction is clearly negative
Old 2012-11-13, 12:32   Link #24554
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
he said, the most energy expansion is always upward which is why the car was probably spared.
I agree with your friend, about two decades ago a bank near my house blew up due to a weekend gas leak. It literally blew up, also shattering the windows of many houses nearby and I clearly heard a thump in my window about two kilometers away (my house is on a hill, so I kind of had line of sight to the roof of said bank).
Old 2012-11-13, 15:50   Link #24555
AnimeFan188

Petraeus Scandal Engulfs Afghanistan War Chief:

"The sex scandal that brought down former Army general and CIA Director David
Petraeus has expanded to engulf another senior official: Marine Corps Gen. John
Allen, the commander of U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan.

Allen, who is married, allegedly exchanged what’s being described
as “inappropriate communication” with Jill Kelley, the 37-year-old Tampa socialite
who claims she received threatening emails from Petraeus’ mistress (and
biographer) Paula Broadwell. Kelley reportedly approached the FBI with the
alleged threats, kicking off the investigation that ultimately uncovered Petraeus’
affair with Broadwell and prompted the retired four-star general to resign from
the CIA last week."

See:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/11/allen-scandal/

How much bigger is this scandal going to get?
Old 2012-11-13, 15:51   Link #24556
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Meanwhile Bill Clinton in his office thinks - Whats the big deal?

Senator Vitter of Louisiana ask - Why do they get it for free?
Old 2012-11-13, 16:41   Link #24557
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

N.Y. utility, under fire since Superstorm Sandy, faces legal action
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AC12920121113
Given the situation they faced, it's obvious than it would take a bit of time. But 2 weeks is really long
Old 2012-11-13, 16:42   Link #24558
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Petraeus Scandal Engulfs Afghanistan War Chief:

"The sex scandal that brought down former Army general and CIA Director David
Petraeus has expanded to engulf another senior official: Marine Corps Gen. John
Allen, the commander of U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan.

Allen, who is married, allegedly exchanged what’s being described
as “inappropriate communication” with Jill Kelley, the 37-year-old Tampa socialite
who claims she received threatening emails from Petraeus’ mistress (and
biographer) Paula Broadwell. Kelley reportedly approached the FBI with the
alleged threats, kicking off the investigation that ultimately uncovered Petraeus’
affair with Broadwell and prompted the retired four-star general to resign from
the CIA last week."

See:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/11/allen-scandal/

How much bigger is this scandal going to get?
Wow this is starting to sound like a bad soap opera with too many people thinking with their sexy parts. :P
Old 2012-11-13, 17:12   Link #24559
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Wow this is starting to sound like a bad soap opera with too many people thinking with their sexy parts. :P
Desperate Housewives of Generals?

Well, Gen. Allen is denying any wrong-doing, and the accusation so far is rather vague. Since they're letting him stay in command, I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt, for now.
Old 2012-11-13, 17:15   Link #24560
Dr. Casey

We're not too far from all 50 states petitioning to secede, lol. I'm just soaking up the drama and enjoying the ride.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international