Spoiler for 28:
Old 2014-03-24, 13:54   Link #1664
EvI

Spoiler for chapter 28:
EvI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 14:06   Link #1665
amtro
Distro

Stuff like this needlessly annoys me to no end. The term is Deus ex Machina.
It means "God from the machine" and refers to the unexpected introduction of a plot element that allows you to solve a crisis, or unsolvable problem in a story.
You are misusing the term, stop it. No one here in their right mind failed to see this coming from a mile away.
amtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 16:27   Link #1666
Tenzen12

It was clear from begenning, Touta CAN'T take whole army trained to fight immortals and considering scale of disaster there is NOTHING suprising nor cheap about this chapter develoment.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-25, 12:38   Link #1667
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post
It means "God from the machine" and refers to the unexpected introduction of a plot element that allows you to solve a crisis, or unsolvable problem in a story.
You are misusing the term, stop it. No one here in their right mind failed to see this coming from a mile away.
Yes, that's what "Deus ex Machina" means. There's also "Dues ex Machina", used only (albeit often) on the internet, which means "any plot development I don't personally like". ^_^
Old 2014-03-25, 12:44   Link #1668
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Yes, that's what "Deus ex Machina" means. There's also "Dues ex Machina", used only (albeit often) on the internet, which means "any plot development I don't personally like". ^_^
hehe this right here is pretty much how it gets used normally.

This chapter kinda made me think of what Karin said in chapter 24. "This is.. A junction point of sorts for Konoe Touta. If things turn out badly UQ Holder will take responsibility and take him out. I will not let you interfere."

It felt odd at the time because UQ Holder wasn't there. But it turns out that they were there. I Kinda see it like this. The thing Kuromaru shot off was the signal for help. Everyone was in position in case things turned south with either Touta or the Hunters. It seems like it was something like a test to see if he could handle ME. If he goes berserk and fails they kill him or seal him and if he controls it then they sit back and watch.

So basically it seems like Touta was sent on the mission to go berserk and see if he was just a monster or if he could really be a member of UQ Holder.

Jinbei is a 1400 year old immortal... and a convenience store clerk

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin

Last edited by SoloPanda; 2014-03-25 at 17:20.
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-25, 18:05   Link #1669
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPanda View Post
It felt odd at the time because UQ Holder wasn't there. But it turns out that they were there. I Kinda see it like this. The thing Kuromaru shot off was the signal for help. Everyone was in position in case things turned south with either Touta or the Hunters. It seems like it was something like a test to see if he could handle ME. If he goes berserk and fails they kill him or seal him and if he controls it then they sit back and watch.
I don't think the other UQ already were there. But Kuroumaru sent the signal, and they aren't too far away from UQ's HQ. And those people should all be able of pretty quick movement.
Old 2014-03-25, 18:11   Link #1670
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
hehe this right here is pretty much how it gets used normally.

This chapter kinda made me think of what Karin said in chapter 24. "This is.. A junction point of sorts for Konoe Touta. If things turn out badly UQ Holder will take responsibility and take him out. I will not let you interfere."

So basically it seems like Touta was sent on the mission to go berserk and see if he was just a monster or if he could really be a member of UQ Holder.

Jinbei is a 1400 year old immortal... and a convenience store clerk
Eva herself is capable of teleportation form fairly long distances.
Old 2014-03-25, 22:46   Link #1671
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Bit disappointed Eva didn't solo the PMCs.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-25, 23:16   Link #1672
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Haha, holy hell. These redshirts are dead.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-26, 08:43   Link #1673
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Well I can see how this is gonna go unless Jack Rakan is on the enemy side or something. Now I wonder how Karin Senpai is gonna get back. she's about 240 thousand miles from the earth atm. if she does an instant movement towards the earth at the speed of sound she would move around 761 miles per hour. it would take her 13 days to hit the earth and depending on which side of the earth she ends up on she'd have to get home some how. Now I know my idea here is missing a lot of things relating to physics and scientific laws but I'm ok with that.. it's F..ing magic.

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-26, 09:51   Link #1674
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

So many redshirts indeed. But still these private companies have merged Magic and Science ever since the revelations, and it seems Mars and the Magic World is still separate in terms of existence. Interesting.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-26, 10:06   Link #1675
dmaxzero

Typical Akamatsu show.

Very meh this series, but I guess IŽll keep at it for now. At least is bloody.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-26, 20:31   Link #1676
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvI View Post
Spoiler for chapter 28:
You may be right about the reasons Akamatsu-sensei brought in the others, but while I wanted to see Eva go "mama bear" on Nagumo and company, I also like the idea of bringing in overwhelming firepower on an opponent. The worst mistake is underestimating an opponent, and Eva did get caught flatfooted by that one bounty hunter in chapter 1. She's not stupid, so bring in the cavalry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Eva herself is capable of teleportation form fairly long distances.
The awesomeness of using shadow gates as well as shundo.

Quote:
Now I wonder how Karin Senpai is gonna get back. she's about 240 thousand miles from the earth atm.
I find myself wondering how this aspect will be resolved as well. I'm actually rather curious to see which way Akamatsu-sensei will go on this issue.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-26, 20:40   Link #1677
Sage Shinigami

Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post
lol, glad this doesn't just bug me. For it to be a Deus ex Machina, something that previously did not exist in the story would have to show up to save Touta. Nah, this is just acceptable story logic. I hate that someone had to show up to save the guy, but he was pretty clearly in over his head.
Sage Shinigami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 00:06   Link #1678
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Well I can see how this is gonna go unless Jack Rakan is on the enemy side or something. Now I wonder how Karin Senpai is gonna get back. she's about 240 thousand miles from the earth atm. if she does an instant movement towards the earth at the speed of sound she would move around 761 miles per hour. it would take her 13 days to hit the earth and depending on which side of the earth she ends up on she'd have to get home some how. Now I know my idea here is missing a lot of things relating to physics and scientific laws but I'm ok with that.. it's F..ing magic.
Lunar escape velocity is better than 5300 mph. Even if she can do instant movement that fast, she would have to be moving "up" with respect to the moon, which doesn't really strike me as an "instant movement" thing. You're at flight at that point.
Old 2014-03-31, 08:29   Link #1679
amtro
Distro

Spoiler for ch. 29:
amtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 08:59   Link #1680
Seitsuki
Onee!

That's like asking 'why do humans kill other humans'.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, mother-con, negima, sequel, time travel, waiting for love