AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-12-06, 06:27   Link #1
Samari
World's Greatest

Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

What are your thoughts for this film? There isn't that much information revealed yet. All we know at this time is that Superman, Batman, and now Wonder Woman will be involved.

Like I mentioned in another thread I'm interested to see where they go with this new chapter in terms of tone. Will it be darker or lighter? How far will the scope be expanded? Will Superman have to deal with consequences of revealing himself to the public and the collateral damage that was caused due to his presence on Earth? One thing that bothered me about the first film was how it was bookended so optimistically after everything that had happened. Lois and her co-workers were thinking about going to a sports game not long after the mega catastrophe which was strange to me.

Superman is my favorite superhero so I hope this does well, but I do have some concerns. I feel like DC Entertainment might be rushing things way too much to compete with Marvel Studios. I'm glad they're taking chances with some of their other properties (even in television), but I hope this next film stays primarily a Superman film. I'm assuming a good amount of it will be getting us from point A to point B with everything else that is planned.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 06:57   Link #2
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I don't know man. Just from MOS alone, we already get a really different take on the iconic Superman story. Now, with the sequel, for the first time, Superman will meet Batman who's already seasoned, old and weary (if the news are to be believed) complete with an already established Nightwing. WTF?! That's pretty different from the stories I used to read and watch. This feels more like an alternate universe/reality we usually get in the comics instead of a proper adaptation of our heroes's classic stories. And given that Batman is already quite old in this sequel, how can they expect him to participate in JL next? It won't be funny if he only joined once for an event and then quit/retired .

And now that we have Wonder Woman, does that mean the world (if not the universe) is ruled by the Greek Gods? I know in the comics & animation they can put gods, aliens, magical beings and whatnot in one universe, but what will the movie do regarding this matter? Will they make the Greek Gods into aliens like Thor did?

Not to mention there's a rumor that Flash will be in this too.
Old 2013-12-06, 07:12   Link #3
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I don't know man. Just from MOS alone, we already get a really different take on the iconic Superman story. Now, with the sequel, for the first time, Superman will meet Batman who's already seasoned, old and weary (if the news are to be believed) complete with an already established Nightwing. WTF?! That's pretty different from the stories I used to read and watch. This feels more like an alternate universe/reality we usually get in the comics instead of a proper adaptation of our heroes's classic stories. And given that Batman is already quite old in this sequel, how can they expect him to participate in JL next? It won't be funny if he only joined once for an event and then quit/retired .

And now that we have Wonder Woman, does that mean the world (if not the universe) is ruled by the Greek Gods? I know in the comics & animation they can put gods, aliens, magical beings and whatnot in one universe, but what will the movie do regarding this matter? Will they make the Greek Gods into aliens like Thor did?

Not to mention there's a rumor that Flash will be in this too.
Well Ben Affleck is supposed to be Batman. He's what, 40 or so? That seems "seasoned" to me, but not old like in The Dark Knight Returns where his body is failing him. I didn't hear about the Nightwing rumor. I hope that doesn't come to fruition. As for Wonder Woman, the Amazons are supposed to remain in seclusion. Themyscira is an island that is hidden from man. Wouldn't worry about them "ruling the world". I doubt we delve into the supporting characters too much unless it's their own film.

And the Flash is getting his own television series. Barry Allen already made a guest appearance on Arrow. I've heard the thought pushed around that DC might be merging it's television properties (Arrow, Flash) with it's movie properties. That might still remain separate though.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 07:45   Link #4
KyuubiRocks
What?!

Here's something in case you're not yet heard.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=112057
Old 2013-12-06, 08:02   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
I didn't hear about the Nightwing rumor. I hope that doesn't come to fruition.
Here's the Nightwing rumor. Just like you, I hope it won't happen.

Quote:
As for Wonder Woman, the Amazons are supposed to remain in seclusion. Themyscira is an island that is hidden from man. Wouldn't worry about them "ruling the world".
That's not what I meant. No, I'm not talking about the people in Themyscira. I'm talking about Zeus, Hera, Hades, Ares, etc whose existence are a part of WW's story. If they exist as gods, that means the movie acknowledge the history where Greek Gods rule the universe. That means no Christian God or any other omnipotent Gods beside the Greek Gods. Then again, like the comics & cartoons, they might say "To hell with consistency! Just throw them all in one place!" .

Quote:
And the Flash is getting his own television series. Barry Allen already made a guest appearance on Arrow. I've heard the thought pushed around that DC might be merging it's television properties (Arrow, Flash) with it's movie properties. That might still remain separate though.
Now that's a rumor I hope it's true. It's such a waste of talents and effort to just let Arrow & next-to-come Flash TV series come and go just like that considering a Green Arrow solo movie has slim chance of happening anyway.
Old 2013-12-06, 08:28   Link #6
GDB

I hope Nightwing doesn't happen either. If it does, then I might actually have to see this train wreck of a movie. After how much I disliked Man of Steel, I have no real interest in seeing this.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 08:29   Link #7
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I kinda agree with the part of the Internet that says this is them trying to play "catch-up" with Marvel's Avenger by going all in, and the project would suffer because of it.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 08:29   Link #8
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Announcing Wonder Woman's Casting already amde it a train wreck in my opinion. It's gonna flop pretty bad.
Old 2013-12-06, 09:36   Link #9
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Old 2013-12-06, 11:29   Link #10
james0246

I don't mind the extra heroes (I'd prefer Batgirl over Nightwing...then again, I secretly want to see Jane Levy as Batgirl ...but whatever), especially since I doubt the extra heroes will really be in the film all that much. And Gal Godot as Wonder Woman is not necessarily a bad choice (she has a certain exotic quality that adds more to the role than many other potential casting choices; and while her military training is fairly nondescript, it's still an appealing quality), in fact she is a bigger name than Henry Cavill ever was pre-Superman (though Cavill was at least a known actor with some range, unlike Gadot who is known for her one setting). In the end, as others have stated, all that matters is if the film is a Superman story or not...and if Chiwetel Ejiofor will appear as Lex Luthor .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 11:33   Link #11
Blackbeard D. Kuma

My expectations for this film are very low.
Old 2013-12-06, 11:35   Link #12
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I kinda agree with the part of the Internet that says this is them trying to play "catch-up" with Marvel's Avenger by going all in, and the project would suffer because of it.
I agree. They're really rushing a lot of different things, whereas Marvel did a great job of taking time and care in building up to the Avengers movie by giving each major Avengers hero a chance to shine in a movie (or two) of his own.

When you rush things to this degree, there's a good chance that something is going to come off as half-baked or haphazard.
Old 2013-12-06, 11:40   Link #13
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Emotional knee jerk overreaction by fan who doesn't even know anything about what DC/WB is planning. What else is new? Talking about choosing Gina Carano pretty much invalidates all credibility he has on the matter because it shows he just wants his picture perfect Wonder Woman rather than one that can actually act. You know, because it's not like WB screen tested every woman in Hollywood or anything.

And DC aren't rushing anything, they don't have to copy what Marvel did to a T. Who's to say the way Marvel did it is the only way? By doing Batman vs. Superman it established the new Batman without having to reboot his film franchise just 3-4 years after Nolan's ended and, if recent reports are true, they're setting up a world of heroes for the Justice League in this film, which will be United Nations of superheroes, and is why Wonder Woman and Flash will be in this movie (likely in limited roles). DC is doing it their way, it's too early to say they're rushing it to play catch up unless you're just bias against them to begin with.
Old 2013-12-06, 12:04   Link #14
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post

And DC aren't rushing anything,
Sure they are. Why can't Wonder Woman and Flash have their own movies before they're shoehorned into a Batman vs. Superman film? It's honestly a bit disrespectful to their characters, in my view.

Batman being reintroduced this way isn't too bad, as at least he's a titular character for the movie and will likely get a lot of screentime and a decent introduction here. But Wonder Woman and The Flash being introduced as mere side-characters in a Batman vs. Superman film is certainly not the best way to go about it, in my view.
Old 2013-12-06, 12:16   Link #15
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Wonder Woman DOES deserve her own film. She's part of DC's elite hero trinity, after all. Furthermore, her status, reputation, and history, in DC more than justify her getting her own film.
Old 2013-12-06, 12:42   Link #16
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Sure they are. Why can't Wonder Woman and Flash have their own movies before they're shoehorned into a Batman vs. Superman film? It's honestly a bit disrespectful to their characters, in my view.

Batman being reintroduced this way isn't too bad, as at least he's a titular character for the movie and will likely get a lot of screentime and a decent introduction here. But Wonder Woman and The Flash being introduced as mere side-characters in a Batman vs. Superman film is certainly not the best way to go about it, in my view.
Why was Thor's hammer shoehorned into IM2? Why was Thanos shoehorned into Avengers?

There's nothing wrong with setting up characters ahead of their movies to let audiences know they exist in the universe and build their profile beforehand. You don't know how they're utilizing Wonder Woman and Flash, they could just be cameos to get audiences aware of the characters before they get their movies in 2016. Like I said, people are just thinking the worst and automatically assuming DC/WB don't know what they're doing, fuck the fact we know absolutely nothing other than Wonder Woman is cast and her and Flash will be in the movie in some form. Fuck the fact for all we know they won't even have powers or be their hero personas and might just be known as Diana Prince or Barry Allen/Wally West.
Old 2013-12-06, 13:29   Link #17
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

They want to compete with the Avengers as soon as possible apparently.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 13:47   Link #18
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Wonder Woman DOES deserve her own film. She's part of DC's elite hero trinity, after all. Furthermore, her status, reputation, and history, in DC more than justify her getting her own film.
All valid points but a Wonder Woman would bomb in all likelihood.

Regarding this movie, I'm optimistic but I'll reserve judgement till the first trailer.
Old 2013-12-06, 13:55   Link #19
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
If they do a solid film that does the character justice, then it won't bomb. Seriously, DC needs to start giving characters other than Batman and Superman more exposure. That's a big problem they have in terms of marketing outside of their comics. There are a plethora of fascinating characters that sadly go by unnoticed and without recognition.
Old 2013-12-06, 14:01   Link #20
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
Marvel is doing an Ant-Man movie, and Guardians of the Galaxy which stars a raccoon with a gun. Your argument is invalid.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote