AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 22 Rating
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 71 47.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 39 26.35%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 18 12.16%
7 out of 10 : Good... 9 6.08%
6 out of 10 : Average... 2 1.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.68%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 2.03%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 2 1.35%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.68%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 2 1.35%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-12-02, 04:45   Link #121
Nezu

She didn't know her brother had started going online again. So why would she suspect he was Kirito on ALO if she didn't know he gamed again?
Nezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 04:53   Link #122
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Pardon my intrusion on the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The problem is exactly as you describe though: Suguha is set as a plot device and not a character on her own: she could be any possible cliché such like the girl nextdoor and her relevancy would be close to null. Instead of being a "complete" character, with her own actions to take regardless of "ALO Kirito existence", she is there just so Kazuto goes through ALO with a "little twist". In fact, her role is slightly better than the likes of Liz...
Well here's an interesting fact about much of the ALO arc... In the LN, a LOT of it (if not a majority if I remember) takes place from Suguha's perspective and not Kirito's. Now I only bring this up because if you pay attention the anime, there is also quite a sense of a lot of this arc being seen from Suguha's eyes rather than Kirito's.

So aside from your issues with the choice of cliche for her character, I think labeling her as a plot device seems sort of strange considering she is the POV for a good amount of the story more or less for this arc. Plot devices don't typically dominate the POV of the story, so I think this is a flawed interpretation.

The fact of the matter here is that ALO isn't just about Kirito's quest to save Asuna, it's just as much about Suguha and her relationship with her brother. Whether that's a plot line you like, I'd take it you don't and I personally have my own issues with it but not to your extent, is a different story. However, asserting she is nothing but a convenient plot device to serve the purpose of Kirito's guide is a bit flimsy. The story could have easily abused Yui to give Kirito all the information he needs so Kawahara obviously felt that he had a story to tell with Suguha that he deemed meaningful enough to take a major role in the story for this arc.

Quote:
Here, she is simply a romantic foil for Kazuto who basically has his eyes dead set on Asuna, to which arguably doesn't have any other possible thought, save games. At this point in the narrative, you would wonder why Suguha was even put in an equation as strong as a blunt 1+1=2. Really, Suguha had obviously no chance at all, and having a wrecked romance there doesn't bring anything, save a drama forced there for the hell of it.
If you were to remove the romance aspect, the ALO arc wouldn't be hurt by the slighest: it would actually be possible to have more IRL/in game exposition, than really a focused duo, whereas one is basically going for a dead end.
Well in my opinion I also think Suguha didn't need to be Kirito's sister (even if fake), but I think you're over simplifying things.

Again, the point of view of this arc hasn't just been from Kazuto, in fact I feel we have seen things more from Suguha's than Kazuto's the entire time. A major effort has been put into developing Suguha has her own character with her own conflicts and her own worries and her own goals. Essentially, she isn't simply a fodder side character who is used to bounce off Kazuto because she's been given much too much attention in this arc IMO.

I would also like to think that her character has seen more development than simply being a dead end romance. Though it's mostly reaffirming many of the themes of SAO arc, Kirito has made quite an impression on her about the wonders of VRMMORPG and how it is highly comparable emotionally to the real world in the way they treat it. The fun of being engrossed in a complete fantasy world, that is a lot of what is being communicated in this arc.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 05:30   Link #123
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Very good episode and the realisation that Kirito is her brother was very well done. Made up for last episodes slow mode logout scene.

I loved the way how Sugu conveyed her feelings especially as it seems to stem from her PoV, as I remember/believe that Kirito started avoiding his sister because he felt guilty letting her deal with their granddad and the kendo lessons.

Very excited to see how they deal with this situation
Old 2012-12-02, 06:45   Link #124
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
So much for the epic rescue on this episode! I wonder if Kirito can try it again next week, this time having Suguha/Leafa at his side and a bunch of his old friends?
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 07:08   Link #125
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
I find myself agreeing with your point of view quite a bit in previous episode discussions, and would like to add that I don't understand people's dislike of harems where you know what the author is intending. Heartbreak isn't the end of the world, and in most cases I see it as a way for characters to grow in the future. Reading the first page of comments makes me feel like when a girl gets her heartbroken, she becomes useless, which is ridiculous. You can't measure a character's worth based on failures and successes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellessar, but reworded a bit for better read View Post
you get a good point, "grow" this is the problem on most of the harems as this "dont happen". the girls will always stay in a one sided love with the MC. It's always the same and SAO is not different, and i can't say much more... about this because can be spoiler...(fear of warns ^^)

edit: in fact the only "grow" us have in a harem is the number of girls falling for MC
I'll gladly welcome it if Suguha gets even more development, but judging from the number of episodes left (and the above poster who I guess reads the novels), I doubt that's gonna happen soon (there's certainly potential though. probably delve further into the whole Kendo family business?). But until that further development comes along, she's now assigned as a gratuitous tour-guide for our hero equipped with dem sugus (I'm sorry for being such a juvenile, but my mental image of Suguha won't be straying too far from bawww and dem sugus any time soon ).

You know, I'm now reminded of Sana's route in Mashifoni. Gotta love the under dog!
EDIT:
Images
I am sorry I am a terrible person for laughing at this
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by erneiz_hyde; 2012-12-02 at 10:33.
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 07:21   Link #126
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
She’s already boarding Titanic before she even realized it, and now the ship has sunk -_-.
This should be the quote of the day, damn this slow trainwreck was painful to watch, to the point i was wondering if they were going to turn her into a diabolus ex machina.
Old 2012-12-02, 08:03   Link #127
novalysis

Quote:
The problem is exactly as you describe though: Suguha is set as a plot device and not a character on her own: she could be any possible cliché such like the girl nextdoor and her relevancy would be close to null. Instead of being a "complete" character, with her own actions to take regardless of "ALO Kirito existence", she is there just so Kazuto goes through ALO with a "little twist". In fact, her role is slightly better than the likes of Liz...

\
I disagree with the part I bolded. Suguha's backstory is Central to Kirito's character and backstory, and a cornerstone of Kirito's characterization, from the very First Episode (and chapter) to Scillia, chronologically speaking. Changing her to a girl-next door would completely derail and result in arguably, a very, very different Kirito who may not even have had stepped into SAO, to begin with.

Unfortunately, I can't use the LN to argue that case. But if, if the producers had , theoretically decided to make Suguha a child-hood friend, then the entire SAO Arc outside the Asuna-centric proportions would have had to be rewritten. Suguha is CENTRAL to Kirito's character, this appears most obviously in the Saachi and Scillia cases. Had A1, in a fit of narrative creativity (that they haven't shown in this rather mediocre adaptation) decided to swap Suguha from Sister/Cousin status to Child-hood friend, then SAO would have strayed away from LN canon quite significantly.

Spoiler for LN to Anime Comparisons:

Now, there is quite a few people out here, and elsewhere who believes that the SAO Adaptation was better off rewritten rather than blindly adapted (and even then, the script-writer IMO has some rather funny ideas of what is essential information - as early as Episode 1, but that's another topic. )

Which is rather impossible, given that unlike Chuunibyou, SAO has 10 volumes and counting, and the first arc is currently being rewritten. By suggesting that there's no difference between Suguha's status as Cousin or Childhood friend, you are basically proposing a change every bit as large, as say.

Spoiler for Chuunibyou LN Spoilers:
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 08:08   Link #128
eplipswich
The Anime Maniac

All I can say is that I am heartbroken watching Sugu heartbroken just like that. I knew this dreaded day would come when Kirito reveals the name and then Sugu goes...what? Now, I wonder how Kirito would deal with this kind of situation. I myself don't really know but to, I guess, let her calm down for now...

I only watch highly recommended animes ~ ~
eplipswich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 08:18   Link #129
Sumeragi
Banned

I'm becoming more and more willing to..... eliminate the competition for Suguha.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 08:20   Link #130
eiyuu99

Episode 22, also coined as "loss and heartbreak"
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 08:40   Link #131
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post

I'm becoming more and more willing to..... eliminate the competition for Suguha.
Plan C?
Old 2012-12-02, 08:40   Link #132
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Plan C?
Plan S.

*Gets out the jackhammer and chainsaw*
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 09:03   Link #133
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Well all i can say after i read many comments is, the writer has achieved what he intended do. Make the audience feel pitty for Suguha and that in an extremely penetrant way.
fragb85 from random curiosity said it exactly how i feel about this whole Suguha thing.
Quote:
Its so hilariously pretentious. It all can be summed up as “FEEL SORRY FOR SUGUHA!!!! PLEASE CRY AUDIENCE!!! WE WAN’T YOU TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY!!!”
Suguha fell for her cousin and was rejected even before confessing after she understood that she had not the slightest chance to get him. Ok, so good so far and I hoped we could move one from this hopeles case.
But that she fell for Kirito, a guy she barely knew and only met a couple of days in a game without really knowing anything about him except that he is cool, and that he turned out to be the same guy that was never interested in her in the first place and who had already someone he loves, made me facepalm even more. This whole thing was just way way way too forced for me to be taken seriously or make me feel more than just amused about the ridiculousness of this situation.
I'm usually very empathic and I can feel easily sorry for charcters in a story, but not if it is done in such an incredible penetrant and forced way like in this case. Sorry, but it just doesn't work for me.
This whole arc has been a dissapointment for me. Instead on focusing on Kirito, his thoughts, his worries and on Asuna etc., we are forced to watch this nonsense with Suguha and that only for forced dramas sake. But don't take me wrong, this show is still way above avarage for me and I will watch to the end to see how we get to the happy ending.

Quote:

As if that would change anything. And she was never in a competition in the first place.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 09:06   Link #134
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

at first, yeah! Kirito-Asuna finally can make some contact (love the picture anyway)

and Kirito's brute force is not bad as well... at least he put some awesome fight in the losing battle... when Lyfa appeared, I conclude that these Kirigaya 'siblings' maybe can conquer those guardians if they entered together... hahaha... awesome action by both of them

then... that moment when Asuna mentioned.... oh damn! although Sugu must be appreciated for pumping up enough courage to go out from her room and confront her beloved onii-chan...
Kirito also being a dumb for just be quiet and non-stop apologizing act.. explain something, man! if you can't say anything, leave her alone...

then, SAO this week leave all the heart-broken watchers
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 09:22   Link #135
Sixth
Hu Tao

It is hard for Suguha to compete with Asuna, considering how plain she looks in real-life. Her avatar may stand a chance win Kirito's heart, but definitely not her real appearance.

Heck, even me prefer Lyfa over Suguha any day, any time.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 09:37   Link #136
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:

I would agree but that will to help Sugu should saved for later... the Liz/Suguha "formula" is gonna be played once and once again since the author likes to keep throwing girls to Kirito left and Right.
Thats why I don't like Kirito anymore save for counted occasions, the guy is very unstable character wise and plain...
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 09:37   Link #137
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

The only girl who had a chance against Asuna died years before in SAO. poor girl.

Anyway, awesome ep.! Romance was generic and obvious but that's how it is in RL as well. Spectators can see what's going on but those in question do not. Lesson to learn, not everything is sweet and dandy. Harems are nasty if played right, not those silly comedy/harem/romance anime that we all have watched.

Kirito go! You're still the best MC harem character out there. Except for Kenshin...
Old 2012-12-02, 09:49   Link #138
blewin

ah well, I'm more interested in the fluid fights than in the Sugu's expected reaction.
this arc is really so much better than the last in everything. A shame it's so short.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-02, 09:50   Link #139
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

And speaking of harems... what about that guy from Clannad eh?? That guy was as bad as Kirito... We all know who he was gonna end up with but the story keeps on throwing girls at him even when the newer girls where a lot better.
Old 2012-12-02, 09:54   Link #140
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Uh, Kirito. There is a reason it takes an army of players to beat the Grand Quest. Then again, he was consumed by emotion at the time.

Poor Sugu...

Overall, it was quite enjoyable.

*looks at end card*