AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2021-01-15, 14:02   Link #41
X207
Gamyūsa

I guess ep3 or 4 will be Kintama. This show really does give that rental GF vibes. Maybe that's a new trend in the anime these days. It's an interesting concept but seeing how rental GF ended up makes it less of a novel idea.

Can't say I care much about about that game as most of my memories were from the early 2000s on N64. I do have that game on switch but don't really play it much at all, much rather play Solu Calibur or MK if I get off my butt and boot up the Xbox.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 16:33   Link #42
stray

This chick basically has him on some 'pickup artist' course... how long until we get to negging? Kinda curious to see how that goes with the genki girl.

Fundamentally the advice isn't bad but it doesn't really feel realistic and so far no one in the show is particularly likable. I might give it another week but this is losing my interest quickly.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 18:06   Link #43
X207
Gamyūsa

I'm getting strong Chizuru and Fumino vibes from Hinami... He will flag those other girls first before she realises her feelings.i just hope he doesn't become a simp or have the attention get to his head.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 19:30   Link #44
Marcus H.
All-Terrain Panda

Being "dealt bad cards" my ass, Tomozaki.
Winter 2021: Heaven's Animal Design Dept (5/12), Jaku-chara Tomozaki-kun (3/12), Gotoubun no Hanayome S2 (6/12), Hataraku Saibou!!, Horimiya (6/13), Shin Chuuka Ichiban! S2 (5/12), Log Horizon S3 (3/12) and Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san (1/12).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 34. Completed: 401. Plan to watch: 33.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-15, 22:36   Link #45
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
This chick basically has him on some 'pickup artist' course... how long until we get to negging? Kinda curious to see how that goes with the genki girl.

Fundamentally the advice isn't bad but it doesn't really feel realistic and so far no one in the show is particularly likable. I might give it another week but this is losing my interest quickly.
I think Mimimi is pretty likeable .
Old 2021-01-16, 02:23   Link #46
ArrowSmith

Aoi is grooming Tomozaki to be her boyfriend, I can sense it.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 08:08   Link #47
kyuudere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
Aoi is grooming Tomozaki to be her boyfriend, I can sense it.
you better not read the spoilers in wikipedia profile page then XD
If you're anime only, I can only say the series isn't as predictable as you might think.
kyuudere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 10:42   Link #48
stray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I think Mimimi is pretty likeable .
She's cute but she just kinda felt like a genki blob, and Aoi's play by play analysis didn't humanize her any better. She's pretty obviously going to fall for Tomozaki just because she's so genki and into his dad (grandpa?) jokes I guess -- and this seems to be going for the 'harem but pretending not to be' genre that Oregairu pioneered.

Is there any good deconstruction of a genki girl relationship? MomoKuri and ef did a good job with deredere. Hmm.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 11:22   Link #49
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
She's cute but she just kinda felt like a genki blob, and Aoi's play by play analysis didn't humanize her any better. She's pretty obviously going to fall for Tomozaki just because she's so genki and into his dad (grandpa?) jokes I guess -- and this seems to be going for the 'harem but pretending not to be' genre that Oregairu pioneered.

Is there any good deconstruction of a genki girl relationship? MomoKuri and ef did a good job with deredere. Hmm.
To be honest, Mimimi seems more into the girls than the guys .

Honestly, she felt pretty realistic to me, especially after her conversation with Tomozaki, but to each their own .
Old 2021-01-16, 13:59   Link #50
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Took a while to watch this. Honestly I think I like the manga a little better, at least in places. For instance, that conversation with Mimimi. She actually seemed to break down just a bit there in the manga. Nothing big, she just dropped the whole "must stay at max happiness!" vibe and seemed to reflect just a bit as she talked about how she differed from Fumiya and Tama. Like, for just a moment she realized that she doesn't just have a policy that she always will bend to make things happy, that actually she basically can't NOT bend because she's so desperate to keep things happy. In the anime, she just continues to act hyper and dumb and says it's great that they won't bend but she always will; honestly I like it better with her actually recognizing it as something of a weakness, especially because it demonstrates how and why Fumiya's ability to say what he thinks is such a "killer technique". He doesn't just impress, he actually impacts other people with his earnest thoughts.

And yeah, I can't wait for Hinami to get taken down a peg at some point. So far many of her guidelines are correct, but at the same time even following those pointers perfectly realistically wouldn't get Fumiya out of the loser section without Hinami there to endorse and support him. I don't think it's a big spoiler to mention that at some point Fumiya notes that the popular view the unpopular, himself included, as somewhat inferior. You even see that a bit in this ep with the way the unpopular girls aren't allowed to dress the way they want. There's a hierarchy in social situations, especially in junior high and high school, and if you try and be louder, more social, or just connect with people out of your league, you're likely to be seen as arrogant or full of yourself (I've seen those exact words used many times in various series to describe a character who has the audacity to get close to someone popular). It's kind of the same with games even. An upstart that people don't like is likely to experience a lot of persecution and active efforts to keep them "in their place". And if a popular-enough person pushes you down the benders bend and tend to agree, isolating you and turning things from one or two people disliking you to the majority of the class. It takes someone with both guts and sufficient clout, like Hinami, to figure out who to face off against and how to stop those sorts of attacks. Her plan CAN work, but in a place that is, on some levels, a fighting game where everyone's competing with each other, there's a great deal of risk that you'll get beaten back down unless you have someone to stand with you while you climb the ranks.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 14:29   Link #51
WingedAccelerator

I was looking forward to this, but the arstyle is garbage. I didn't expect the novel styles to carry over, but damn, this is really uninspiring, same-face syndrome with most of the female cast, but not in a good way. I like the OP at least.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 15:24   Link #52
grecefar

it's going well for now but is not that easy, sooner or later this will fall and like BWTraveler say he is not getting out the loser section without hinami there to support, two time she had to save him in this chapter.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 19:05   Link #53
Decel

The first part was cringy and hard to watch, but the second part was better. Hope we see some cases where he loses and/or doesn't get saved.

Single-run to success is not very game-like.
Old 2021-01-16, 19:07   Link #54
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
I was looking forward to this, but the arstyle is garbage. I didn't expect the novel styles to carry over, but damn, this is really uninspiring, same-face syndrome with most of the female cast, but not in a good way. I like the OP at least.
I wouldn't say it's quite at the level of the LN art, but I think the girls still look like themselves and very cute .
Old 2021-01-16, 22:22   Link #55
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Did I just see a blue haired version of Mion laugh her ass off because someone was talking like an old geezer ?

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-17, 01:38   Link #56
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Did I just see a blue haired version of Mion laugh her ass off because someone was talking like an old geezer ?
One does not simply... casually mention Mion in the context of a rom-com.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-17, 02:13   Link #57
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
One does not simply... casually mention Mion in the context of a rom-com.
She looks like a blue haired Mion though. I'd say Shion, but the blazer around the waist is more like the former than the latter.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-17, 17:03   Link #58
WingedAccelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I wouldn't say it's quite at the level of the LN art, but I think the girls still look like themselves and very cute .
I can recognize them, but I hardly can think of any case where simplifying the original desings were beneficial for the work. Or I rather call this lazyness. Change eye color and hair between the females, and you notice that lot of them use the same character model.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-17, 18:43   Link #59
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
I can recognize them, but I hardly can think of any case where simplifying the original desings were beneficial for the work. Or I rather call this lazyness. Change eye color and hair between the females, and you notice that lot of them use the same character model.
I think simplified designs are just a part and parcel with the animation process. As long as the characters still look like themselves and the animation flows well enough, I think it's fine. Their characterization will do the rest .
Old 2021-01-17, 20:39   Link #60
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Yeah, with animation every line adds time and difficulty, so the animators have to think hard on what's necessary and unnecessary and cut as much as they can. Otherwise we'd have much messier work with far more derp-face screwups that barely make it on time. Makes me think of Somali back a couple seasons ago. The manga's art and background was intensely detailed, with tons going on in every single frame; I knew from the start the backgrounds couldn't be anywhere near that in the anime, and sure enough...
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote