AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 88 59.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 27.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.34%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-23, 17:56   Link #41
sakuravs

It's unbelievable the way they draw Akiko-san involved in that accident. How can one be able to live after being crashed into by a car like that? So tragic....
Now only with Mai's power will Akiko be recovered, but will that happen, though? still have to wait to see.
Anyway, If I'm in the position of Yuuichi in the next episode, I'll do everything for Nayuki to make her happy, including that thing.
Old 2007-02-23, 19:07   Link #42
Aradni

I swear it must've been a conspiracy. The car's crashing together at that exact moment.

Great episode, the flashback with the snow bunny was done perfectly. Poor Nayuki. The bunny hitting the ground was like a gunshot.
Old 2007-02-23, 19:23   Link #43
LCeh

Wow, what an episode.

I am really glad that they finally are starting to do Nayuki some justice. It feels like it's been forever, but finally, for the first time the focus is on her. I really liked the way KyoAni planned it though, they made Nayuki watch Yuuichi interact with all these girls, and this goes well with what happened 7 years ago, with Nayuki secretly liking Yuuichi while he was liking another person.

I am sure we haven't seen the end of Ayu, since there are still a few untied knots. But the focus for now will be entirely on Nayuki, and I am hoping that we will have more time for 1 on 1 interaction between Yuuichi and Nayuki, since this is basically what the series has been lacking. Yuuichi had to deal with so many girls before, that he didn't really have the time to just take things slowly with one of them.

And my personal wish is that
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-23, 19:27   Link #44
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

*Horrible scene of Akiko being crushed by car*
"Minase, Aizawa - your mother's been involved in a car accident."

*Queue happy running Ayu*

Is it just me, or was that one of the worst scene changes ever?

Man, I wish I hadn't been spoiled on that. The surprise factor of the scene was at maximum. Very well done.

A 9 for that weird scene change and feeling just a tad bit draggy.
Old 2007-02-23, 19:34   Link #45
LCeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
*Horrible scene of Akiko being crushed by car*
"Minase, Aizawa - your mother's been involved in a car accident."

*Queue happy running Ayu*

Is it just me, or was that one of the worst scene changes ever?

Man, I wish I hadn't been spoiled on that. The surprise factor of the scene was at maximum. Very well done.

A 9 for that weird scene change and feeling just a tad bit draggy.
This is what a poster on another board said.

Quote:
ill say it again, the ending theme which is TOTALLY out of place in every episode is ONLY there to prevent people from slitting their wrists or jumping off a tall building after each episode
Old 2007-02-23, 19:37   Link #46
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^
Meh, worked so far...

If not people will be sueing KyoAni for 'Assisted Suicide'... (Dilbert joke... Nvm...)
Old 2007-02-23, 19:51   Link #47
Pakxenon
popcorn

Absolutely amazing episode. I was spoiled silly with the repeats of BMW jokes, but what really got me in that scene was the prespective (cars came out of nowhere) and the IMPACT of the crash, which, whether you're spoiled or not or predicted, will be of big shock value.

Of course, that was not the best scene this episode. I can't choose a favourite, but this episode was packed with information, FANSERVICE (WOW Nayuki is going full moe mode in this episode, and they feel FRESH! {unlike Ayu and the other girls, whom I've had to endure "taiyaki" for 21 episodes now...}), and flashbacks (that also put my awkwardness with Ayu at more ease now). The connections with the other girls are not to be forgotten! The transition from the funny phase to the dramatic phase is completed in this episode, too. Cliffhanger and preview has me banging my desk for next week's episode. 10/10.
Old 2007-02-23, 19:54   Link #48
Meophist

Quote:
ill say it again, the ending theme which is TOTALLY out of place in every episode is ONLY there to prevent people from slitting their wrists or jumping off a tall building after each episode
I disagree, it wasn't out of place in the last Makoto episode.
Old 2007-02-23, 20:29   Link #49
Richard 23
piko piko pikori

Exclamation

Spoiler for end of episode 21:

A great episode that hurried through story points without feeling entirely rushed. Jun saves the day again, sort of, just like in the previous series. Good for him. This time he seems much more human than your typical anime "good friend."

More flashbacks than you can shake a stick at. Plenty of exposition. Plenty of tears. Plenty of angst. I'd say KyoAni is performing like Nayuki did in her race earlier in the series. They're going to win by a breast. Or two! They are way out in front of Toei.

I second an earlier poster who wondered out loud if this series is 24 or 26. It feels like 24. I sincerely hope there are no recrap episodes. I don't have the money for a baseball bat and a ticket to Japan at this time to explain to KyoAni that good is good and doesn't involve recapping. Watch out for otaku yukuzas KyoAni if you blow this series at the very end!

Of course they won't do that. Just wanted to make sure.
Old 2007-02-23, 20:37   Link #50
Meophist

I just watched the episode again, and it, for some reason, looks alot better than other episodes for some reason. Maybe it's just the encoding, but the colours look nicer to me.
Old 2007-02-23, 21:02   Link #51
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Normally, KyoAni has mixed the different stories so that each of the compliments the other, with the entire episode building emotion even when jumping across storylines. I didn't find that to be the case here, myself. Going back and watching only the Nayuki scenes, they had a lot more impact.

...I couldn't watch it all, though.
Old 2007-02-23, 22:21   Link #52
DanielSong39

The strongest episode in the series to date. This was the kind of stuff I was hoping and waiting for from the start of the show.

Some of the key factors that made this episode stand out compared to the others:

- A strong theme.

Feel free to disagree with me on this one, but I felt the "family" theme was by far the strongest one in the series, and the one I could best identify with. Childhood friends are usually forgotten, and friendships that arise out of dramatic situations tend to fizzle out once the matter is resolved - but family ties run much deeper. Excellent insight on this matter, and I hope they run with this theme for the remainder of the series.

- Good character development and interactions.

Nayuki proves to be much more useful than the other girls, and turns out to be more than the so-called "damsel in distress" after all. She is more capable, assertive, and supportive than any of the other girls - and there isn't a close second. I'm just glad that we got to see her true strength before the end of the series.

Another big plus is the interaction between Yuuichi and Nayuki throughout the episode, and between the two and Jun. Much more smooth and natural this time around, with no one character utterly dominating the proceedings.

- Believable course of events.

Nayuki seems to be mostly bummed out by Ayu's disappearance; "jealousy" barely registers a blip on the radar screen. Most of her actions have the sisterly vibe to it. Yuuichi finally seems to realize that family trumps a childhood friend or even a current girlfriend. And Akiko's actions are appropriate throughout the episode.

So, where does the show go from here?

KyoAni opened up an alternate path, which frankly, I believe has the basis for a much stronger ending. As much as they have pushed Ayu, leaving her as the emphasis would be a mistake, in my opinion. This doesn't mean Yuuichi X Ayu would ruin the series - but I would like to see Yuuichi realize that Akiko and Nayuki are the most important people in his life. Heck, even his relationship with Ayu was heavily dependent on their support.

In any case, I think KyoAni has things rolling along in the right direction, and I hope they keep going down this path in 22-24. This is where I believe they can fix the fatal error in the Toei series - when Yuuichi basically ignored Nayuki AND Akiko, preferring to mope over Ayu instead. I have faith that KyoAni will not repeat the same mistake.
Old 2007-02-23, 22:43   Link #53
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Random Thoughts on Kanon(2006) Ep21
---- ----
  • Why is it that when it comes to girls like Nayuki, Mai and Makoto; the pacing seems so wonderful, so... natural? But when it comes to Shiori and Ayu, the pacing can go whack at times?

The implied preference even shows in the amount of screentime that they get. Innate favouritism from KyoAni? Ja, who knows?
  • Sometimes I get the feeling that KyoAni is trying to wave their family jewels at their fellow competitors whenever I watch a scene that involves animated water.

"Look at us! We got such good budget control that we can afford to animated this jazz while you guys struggle to animated normal stuff."
  • The ugly past involving Nayuki finally starts to fully reveal itself. By the time this arc is done, some of you might be asking yourselves on why would Nayuki want to hook up with Yuuichi.

Nayuki's commenting to herself about Yuuichi's preference for Ayu was just bitterly tender.
  • It will have already dawned upon the observant, but notice how Nayuki is starting to become much more active than before. Why?
  • I had a mild mind-shock when Nayuki replied to Akiko's comment about the need to support one's family. Did Horie Yue just voice Nayuki at that moment or something? Nayuki sounded like Ayu at that point.
  • Did anybody else raise an eyebrow when Nayuki sprawled flat on her back and displayed her goods( with motion no less) to Yuuichi? Did those same eyebrows raise even higher when Yuuichi displayed zero reaction to such a sight?
  • Nayuki's reaction to the blanket was priceless...
  • Angel Doll!
    Two Promises!
    One Left...
    *ominous BGM*
  • I swear that the pupils( not the eyeballs, but the pupils) for Kid-Ayu and Kid-Yuuichi expanded in this episode. It made them look positively alien at times. I'm all for expressive eyes, but damn... there has to be a limit to what you can do.
  • Usagi-san! Usagi-san! Bonus points for referring back to Mai... but DAMN IT! I want actual appearances by her. She better be around for the finale... her story can still be connected to the end events very closely. I mean heck, now that Akiko is in the hospital, go say hi or something to her, along with Shiori and Sayuri.

PLEEEEASE!

Besides, I'm curious to hear what Oracle-Mai has to say about Nayuki.

"That girl... she's too good for you."
  • For a brief moment there, I thought Jun stomped all over the snow-bunny. I would have found it hilarious, but I guess it would have spoiled the mood.
  • Yuuichi's recollection of his treatment of Nayuki's confession was nicely done.
  • Akiko's accident was brutal, even though I knew it was going to happen. With this scene resolved, that leaves ONE more scene I am looking forward to in Kanon(2006).
It has been a long time, but I am willing to give 10/10 for this episode. There were some minor nits, but they are petty enough for me to overlook them. The pacing was so much better in this episode, and the transitions were much better done. The drama and mood was beautiful.

Cheers.
Old 2007-02-23, 22:46   Link #54
New/Old
Old to the New

I realize a few have seen this, but it was too eerie not to place it here.

Spoiler for For the End of Episode 21:

If this is indeed violation of the rules, I will withdraw it immediately.

Last edited by New/Old; 2007-02-23 at 23:14.
Old 2007-02-23, 23:10   Link #55
eplipswich
The Anime Maniac

Well....
Spoiler for end of episode 21:

That said, this is a great episode. The series has come to the really sad and emotional era that jokes here are not really gonna be funny anymore....the conspiracy of Ayu's disappearance and the fatal blow on Nayuki's heart...Yuiichi is definitely suffering a lot right now...poor girls and Yuiichi...KyoAni has definitely done well in portraying this emotional and sad period of time on this episode....really sad...would rate it 10/10

I only watch highly recommended animes ~ ~
Old 2007-02-23, 23:12   Link #56
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I was surprised at how explicit KyoAni was with the handling of the
Spoiler:
I knew it was coming, but it was so horrific that it still shocked me.

Not much else to say on this ep, except that it's done everything right. This is the meat and bones stuff now, and it almost goes without saying that the next few episodes are going to be big. If my eyes are right, even the animation has picked up a notch in the last few eps. As someone else said, with a cliffhanger ending like that, this coming week is going to be a long one.
Old 2007-02-23, 23:13   Link #57
-Ajax-
Fanatical Kyon Follower

Send a message via AIM to -Ajax-
My Expression by the end of the episode:

Old 2007-02-23, 23:28   Link #58
mugener

we all know that the car roof is actually pretty soft and will change
it's shape when something hit upon.

So I don't see why need to worry, since Akiko is under that black car,
I think she won't hurt that much.
Old 2007-02-23, 23:50   Link #59
-Ajax-
Fanatical Kyon Follower

Send a message via AIM to -Ajax-
I don't care what anyone says, she got hit with a damn car and it was flying pretty damn fast.

She got hurt. AGH!
Old 2007-02-23, 23:52   Link #60
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
[*]The ugly past involving Nayuki finally starts to fully reveal itself. By the time this arc is done, some of you might be asking yourselves on why would Nayuki want to hook up with Yuuichi.
Nayuki the masochist?

Quote:
[*]It will have already dawned upon the observant, but notice how Nayuki is starting to become much more active than before. Why?
Because her main competition is now out of the picture

Quote:
[*]Did anybody else raise an eyebrow when Nayuki sprawled flat on her back and displayed her goods( with motion no less) to Yuuichi? Did those same eyebrows raise even higher when Yuuichi displayed zero reaction to such a sight?
I raised an eyebrow to Nayuki very blatantly (and probably deliberately) displaying her race-winning attributes, but it didn't strike me as weird that Yuuichi didn't pay any attention. He's a very focused person, and Nayuki is just simply not in focus

Quote:
[*]Nayuki's reaction to the blanket was priceless...
She's turning up the moe trying to woo Yuuichi. She's been doing it since he got there with the sleepyness, strawberry jam, and her cutegasms over the cat
Closed Thread