AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 24 34.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 18.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 7.25%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-20, 21:05   Link #41
Kirarakim

I was disappointed that the ignoring thing was brushed aside so quickly (I kind of miss when it was just Mei & Kouichi) but it was definitely nice to get more interaction with the other classmates & I am also glad Mei & Kouichi continue to grow close.

I still don't like the horror aspects of the series at all. I am just really glad there is much more to the series.

And the theory about the Another being killed during the school trip in Reiko's year makes a lot of sense to me.

Finally beach episode, I am waiting to see how they will turn that into a horror story.
Old 2012-02-20, 21:29   Link #42
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
I wonder how much money gets the janitor to clean that mess .
But Japanese schools have the students take care of most janitorial work. ...
Old 2012-02-20, 21:33   Link #43
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

There are special cleaners hired to clean up crime scenes Because blood is considered a biowaste and potentially hazardous, it requires certain tools.
Old 2012-02-20, 22:05   Link #44
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I was surprised by how quickly the teacher's suicide and murder of his mother was attributed to the calamity, since all the others so far have died due to suspicious illnesses or accidents. Was it really so unthinkable that he just snapped that they were willing to break with agreed upon countermeasures? I'm not suggesting they're wrong, since there's been no further fallout from retiring the non-existent club. I just found it odd.
More on that later...

Quote:
Twintails is flagging hard as the extra if Mei's assertion that Kouichi's alive is to be believed. She's left it hanging out there twice now that she feels she's met him before. At this point though, we may as well just wait and see, since there have been so many red herrings. I like the theory that she's Ritsuko because of the implications, but it doesn't seem to scan with why Sakakibara's memory of a year and a half ago would need to have be altered, since she's been dead for 15.
Also, it doesn't seem like the Another changes names. When you get right down to it, all the memory-shifting is kind of irrelevant if the dead person can just walk right into class under another name and another appearance. Izumi still looks like the best possibility for the Another, though, just not as Kouichi's mother (though that would be a neat possibility--the fact that Kouichi came back as a transfer student for this year would explain why she'd want to return to life).

...Mei's repeated assurances as to Kouichi's reality make me wonder if her doll's eye really can see things. Of course, it also makes me wonder why, if that's the case, she doesn't take the eyepatch off at school and identify the dead person right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I don't think Akazawa is Another, much less Kouichi's mother. I took what she said as yet another clue that Kouichi lived/visited Yomiyama in the past, and that his memories were altered meaning he was aware or perhaps even witnessed Another's death. Besides, it's never been hinted (unless I missed it) that the dead one could be given a completely different identity, appearance, and memories, effectively turning him an entirely different person. That's too convoluted and it would make it absolutely impossible to figure out his identity.

As for her being the real Izumi that died two years ago (haguruma pointed out her brother was in 1996's class, so she could have been a victim that year), it's entirely possible. It's only my gut feeling that tells me she isn't.
Yeah, basically I agree with this completely.

Quote:
They attributed it to the curse because they saw him try to push away the knife (I kinda lol'd at that). It clearly looked like he was being manipulated by something. Of course, it may have just been him going completely loco but given the context it's safe to assume he was forced to do this by the phenomenon.
I sort of buy that, except that no one that was in that conversation actually saw the death, if I followed correctly (Kouichi and Mei walked into class late and everybody turned around and looked at them, and of course the librarian wasn't there at the time). Audience knowledge attributed to the characters without at least one of them mentioning it ("Akazawa mentioned it looked like he was trying to fight the knife off"). But then again, it's completely reasonable in terms of group psychology. Look at the alleged "curse" of King Tut, for example--once you start attributing supernatural causes to something, people immediately jump on the bandwagon to pile every possible case in, and that's a phenomenon in the real world, where there's no such thing as the supernatural, let alone in a situation like prevails in Yomiyama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
I realized something while watching this episode. The memories related to the Another are erased at the end of the year. It's never even been hinted at that the memories could be erased at any point before that - in other words, even if the Another were to die during the year, they would carry on with the knowledge of the Another's death, not forgetting anything about him/her until the end of the year.

Now, with that in mind, let's say you figure out who the Another is, and are convinced that if the Another is no longer alive, the phenomenon stops. If tensions rise high enough, someone will eventually kill the Another. So far, we've been assuming that means game over, the human party won, but thinking more realistically...as nobody is aware that the victim is the Another, it will be seen as a regular murder until the end of the year.

So here's my theory. In the Class 3 of 1983, during the school trip at the shrine, a combination of tension, paranoia and desperation caused conflicts inside the class to escalate, leading to violent conflicts that eventually resulted in the death of three students: The two students mentioned this episode, and the Another. Naturally, such a grotesque event does not go unnoticed, and the rest of the school year was disrupted and police and the legal system got involved. This dragged on for the rest of the year, until at graduation, everybody involved lost memories of the Another - including the murders at the school trip and its consequences. Nobody remembers why the two students died, but they assume it was because of the phenomenon. The school trip was rescheduled from third year to second year, but nobody remembers why. And when asked about any details of the school trip, how they solved the problem, the rest of the year - people can only recall vague traumatic experiences, but no longer have the memories of what happened at that time, as the majority of half a year's worth of memories was erased.

It's possible Reiko was also caught up in the paranoia and ended up killing or at least severely injuring a classmate, leading to the bird's quote: "Why, Rei-chan? Why?" The guy mentioned in this episode sounds like he was a prime suspect during the investigation that no longer exists, still haunted by accusations (correct or not) he can no longer remember.
Damn brilliant logic. I don't know if it'll turn out that way, but it certainly makes sense... "I had to leave it there..."
Old 2012-02-20, 22:25   Link #45
justsomeguy

Was the music during the suicide scene really necessary? It was overdramatic and made the situation seem humorous, which it should obviously not be!

About the year where the deaths stopped halfway and no deceased was identified, maybe one of the deaths was the deceased "re-dying?"

That facemelting was one hell of a gruesome dream.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2012-02-20, 22:30   Link #46
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
(Kouichi and Mei walked into class late and everybody turned around and looked at them, and of course the librarian wasn't there at the time).
Actualy Kouichi and Mei were in the classroom when it happened,you can see kouichi multiple times at the start of the episode and while she doesn't appear right away in this one you can spot Mei at the end of the last episode when the teacher walks in.
Old 2012-02-20, 22:41   Link #47
Allium
Keep on keeping on

The suicide scene was bloodier than I'd expected, but Kouichi's nightmare was just plain scary and unsettling. Well, considering he is also a fan of horror novels...

Now we have another interesting turn in the story: someone claims to have stopped the curse mid-year. Judging from the fact that we have a beach episode coming up, looks like the events of 1983 may be repeating itself...
Old 2012-02-20, 23:14   Link #48
Dark Wing

wow just wow that suicide scene is one I'll never forget as long as I live...
Old 2012-02-20, 23:22   Link #49
Jimmy C

Quote:
The memories related to the Another are erased at the end of the year.
That's not completely clear. They're erased when upon graduation, presumably because the Another disappears at the time. They have no idea what would happen if the Another was disappeared before the end of the school year, because that's never happened before. There's a possibility the memories are erased right then, because whatever pattern that let's the librarian figure out who the Another was after the fact weren't there anymore.
Old 2012-02-20, 23:31   Link #50
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
That's not completely clear. They're erased when upon graduation, presumably because the Another disappears at the time. They have no idea what would happen if the Another was disappeared before the end of the school year, because that's never happened before. There's a possibility the memories are erased right then, because whatever pattern that let's the librarian figure out who the Another was after the fact weren't there anymore.
Well, it may've happened in 1983, which is what a lot of people are supposing. There's a good chance that they didn't know who the Another was in 1983 because he/she had been re-killed halfway through the year, probably at the Yomiyama shrine trip.
Old 2012-02-20, 23:47   Link #51
Dark Wing

You know it's a shame we won't be seeing the big boob glasses girl in a swim suit oh the fan service that is lost...
Old 2012-02-21, 00:49   Link #52
Unknown Soldier
:D

The number of red herrings being thrown at us this episode borders on ridiculous.

Everyone seems too convinced that Kouichi isn't the Another. That in itself is a red herring. But the way Mei acts this episode makes it sound like she knows considerably more than she is letting on, which is the usual for her. <3 Either she knows she is the Another, meaning she really did die on the operating table during her tumor removal, or she knows she isn't and Kouichi actually is and she is lying to him about it. Or it's possible neither of them are the Another, and this episode is mostly about messing with us!

I knew something was up when they used a 3D background for only the second time in the series, I was like this has to be a dream sequence, and it was! Kouichi has some wicked nightmares too, that shit creeped me out pretty hardcore. That was some pretty serious Raiders of the Lost Ark face-melting going on there, very well-animated and staged with the garish nightmare-lighting.

I love how they are having a beach episode and somehow it actually fits into the overarching story, it's not just some random going to the beach for fanservice and that's the only reason. I mean, there's going to be fanservice, but it's also going to move the story forward too. They completely telegraphed the events of the next episode when Kouichi and Mei were chatting with Mr. Creepy Librarian, they pretty much said that they'll have fun on the beach and then 2 people will die horribly while they are there. I'm looking forward to it. Nobody's been beheaded or dismembered yet, so maybe we'll get one of those next!
Old 2012-02-21, 01:03   Link #53
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Aside from the face-melting nightmare, there wasn't much tension in this episode. I felt high tension from the first six... I guess it's hard to keep that momentum going. The next episode doesn't look like they're intending to keep tension high throughout, either.

Quote:
So here's my theory. In the Class 3 of 1983, during the school trip at the shrine, a combination of tension, paranoia and desperation caused conflicts inside the class to escalate, leading to violent conflicts that eventually resulted in the death of three students: The two students mentioned this episode, and the Another.
Heh, when they were saying "we don't know what happened," my initial thought was: "someone fell in love with the Another, and the Another reciprocated." A "true love conquers all" sort of deal. Goes to show what sorts of series I've been watching lately I think your theory sounds pretty good, but I hope there's more to it than that.
Old 2012-02-21, 02:42   Link #54
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
I wonder how much money gets the janitor to clean that mess .
But Japanese schools have the students take care of most janitorial work. ...

"Fuckdammit, does he really have to do that when I'm on cleaning duty?!"
Old 2012-02-21, 02:45   Link #55
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well seriously these fantastical deaths are more comedic than sad. This show is most enjoyable by far for the more down to earth aspects. I too find it sad that they tossed away the ignored by the class feature of the plot since exploring the relationship of Koichi and Mei in their isolation I personally found to be really enjoyable.
Old 2012-02-21, 02:54   Link #56
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

The dream of them rotting was actually pretty funny....
Old 2012-02-21, 06:57   Link #57
Qikz

This picture sums up my reaction to this entire episode.

Spoiler for Screenshot of episode 7:
Old 2012-02-21, 08:11   Link #58
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I realized something while watching this episode. The memories related to the Another are erased at the end of the year. It's never even been hinted at that the memories could be erased at any point before that - in other words, even if the Another were to die during the year, they would carry on with the knowledge of the Another's death, not forgetting anything about him/her until the end of the year.

Now, with that in mind, let's say you figure out who the Another is, and are convinced that if the Another is no longer alive, the phenomenon stops. If tensions rise high enough, someone will eventually kill the Another. So far, we've been assuming that means game over, the human party won, but thinking more realistically...as nobody is aware that the victim is the Another, it will be seen as a regular murder until the end of the year.

So here's my theory. In the Class 3 of 1983, during the school trip at the shrine, a combination of tension, paranoia and desperation caused conflicts inside the class to escalate, leading to violent conflicts that eventually resulted in the death of three students: The two students mentioned this episode, and the Another. Naturally, such a grotesque event does not go unnoticed, and the rest of the school year was disrupted and police and the legal system got involved. This dragged on for the rest of the year, until at graduation, everybody involved lost memories of the Another - including the murders at the school trip and its consequences. Nobody remembers why the two students died, but they assume it was because of the phenomenon. The school trip was rescheduled from third year to second year, but nobody remembers why. And when asked about any details of the school trip, how they solved the problem, the rest of the year - people can only recall vague traumatic experiences, but no longer have the memories of what happened at that time, as the majority of half a year's worth of memories was erased.
I largely agree with you, except I think people's memories went back to normal right after Another was killed. We know the calamity was stopped as a result of what that guy did (as you said, most likely murder), and with the phenomenon over for that year, it seems logical to me that everything went back to normal earlier than usual. It doesn't change anything about your theory as far as I can tell anyway.

My prediction for next week: Kouichi and his merry gang (Izumi, Mochizuki and Teshigawara) will discover that three students died and deduce the death of the extra person is what stopped the calamity in 1983. Afterwards, one of them will be stupid enough to share the discovery with the rest of the class, which will whip them into a murderous frenzy. Their prime targets will obviously be Kouichi and Mei.
Old 2012-02-21, 08:30   Link #59
Diveman

The suicide scene was cool, but the student throwing up ruined it for me, I actually laughed at that part.
Old 2012-02-21, 08:34   Link #60
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Why does he had to kill himself inside the classroom... is he a sadist unconsciously?

More,and more... the way this events occur , I can say it's truly is more of a curse rather as a series of coincidental events (duh?!)

I hate teachers that wants to be the focus of attention even until their last breath.. sheeshh...ki bab
Closed Thread

Tags
horror