AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 11 20.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 13.21%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 26.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 11.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 13.21%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 13.21%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.89%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-08-31, 13:51   Link #41
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
That generic scientists created/have possession of a Hyouka-level AIM Burst?

Oh god, no.
Yakumi Hisako was a somewhat generic scientist in her own way....
Yeah, scratch that. Even Yakumi Hisako had her quirks that made her a good villain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Heaven Cancelor needs his own spin-off.
FUND IT.

In all honesty, these episodes are extremely underwhelming in comparison to the Sisters Arc. The villains are underwhelming and don't even hold a candle in the face of the Kiharas. Febri is like a watered-down copy of Vivio Takamachi from Nanoha StrikerS.
Hiss13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-31, 13:52   Link #42
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
Yeah, scratch that. Even Yakumi Hisako had her quirks that made her a good villain.
Hisako had a stand-out design for one, lol.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-31, 14:20   Link #43
Marina2

Surprisingly, after we saw what Mikoto can do with her power during Sister arc, somehow she suddenly have a troble with only 1 mecha........
Old 2013-08-31, 15:48   Link #44
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

First part boring, second part started out interesting, but got boring fast. Still, I'm curious to know what makes that stuff move without circuits or people inside.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-31, 20:40   Link #45
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Febri is like a watered-down copy of Vivio Takamachi from Nanoha StrikerS.
*snapped fingers*

OH MY GOD YOU'RE RIGHT ! That would explain my growing agitation with these episodes!

...Except Vivio was plenty watered-down to begin with.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-31, 21:03   Link #46
Arararagi-Senpai

Finally, (some) plot!

I had a feeling that Febiri was of some kind of artificial creation. And Shinobu is working with the generic evil scientists. Oooohh. Wonder what they want with Misaka.

Still a meh episode though.
Arararagi-Senpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-31, 22:11   Link #47
HandofFate

These eggheads are in over their head. Kick their butts already and get to a real villain.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 03:31   Link #48
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

1st Aogami, then HC, so who's next,,

and how would they fit Mugino and Touma in this arc?
. Mugino appeared like only once

that 'thing' is connected to Febri somehow
Old 2013-09-01, 04:07   Link #49
Reality_Breaker

So, I have a theory that Febri might be a Misaka clone, there are signs (love for Gekotas, her hair or DNA being able to power up electrical devices, etc.) she most likely isn't but i'll keep it as a posibility until proven otherwise.
Old 2013-09-01, 04:22   Link #50
Veviticus

I thought she was a clone too, as a way to follow up/continue from the first arc.
Old 2013-09-01, 05:26   Link #51
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Maybe it's where I lowered my expectations substantially after the Sisters Arc ended, but I honestly thought this episode was Ok.

It's an anime-original filler arc. Nothing of consequence is allowed to happen in these things, so of course things tend to feel watered down and throwaway. In fact, I'm amazed that Kongou got seemingly very significant character development in this. I just hope its actually allowed to stick.

Anyway, if you guys think this is bad, you should watch the Bounts arc in Bleach... *shudder*

I wish anime studios didn't bother with these filler arcs, but what can you do?

At least this episode was passable entertainment, imo. Mikoto admittedly was less creative with her powers in this episode than she tends to be, but I do like the concept of a large mecha that is somehow immune to electromagnetic forces. It's not a bad concept to challenge Mikoto with anyway.

I should say, though, that this episode leaves me with the impression that Kongou is rather eccentric and very quirky, but that she nonetheless has a heart of gold and is definitely one of the "good guys". From some other comments on this thread, I take it that's not how she's supposed to be?
Old 2013-09-01, 08:30   Link #52
Squire James

A possible explanation regarding why she had trouble with that one mech: she remarked that such mechs were usually piloted, and she didn't want to kill the pilot. So she couldn't blow it to smithereens like she could the patrol robots.
Squire James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 08:33   Link #53
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire James View Post
A possible explanation regarding why she had trouble with that one mech: she remarked that such mechs were usually piloted, and she didn't want to kill the pilot. So she couldn't blow it to smithereens like she could the patrol robots.
True, that was probably a factor. There's little doubt she could have simply destroyed the mecha without too much trouble, but safely subduing it was a taller order.
Old 2013-09-01, 08:59   Link #54
R.LocK
My turn

Quote:
Ahem. She was with Board of Directors. This fact alone puts her on a completely different level compared to no-name high-schoolers.

About the episode- Meh, nothing to say. Misaka had a ton of methods to stop that mecha, yet she never used any of them. A silly fight, it was. Animators don't think of making another device that messes up with AIM-fields, do they? It's the only thing that can explain the course of the fight, except for Misaka not using magnetism to take Febri with her out of danger.
Also, I totally dislike anime-Kongou. That ojou-sama-esque speech upped to eleven, why? Ugh, need to re-read manga to get rid of the bad aftertaste in my mouth.
I like Febri, though. Don't know why.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 09:59   Link #55
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I should say, though, that this episode leaves me with the impression that Kongou is rather eccentric and very quirky, but that she nonetheless has a heart of gold and is definitely one of the "good guys". From some other comments on this thread, I take it that's not how she's supposed to be?
That's not what I was trying to imply.

Hmmm... let me explain it in a partial spoiler

Spoiler for comparison to manga:

Last edited by leukrota; 2013-09-01 at 12:46.
leukrota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 11:39   Link #56
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

I don't remember far back as Railgun 1. Did they ever do Kongou's backstory? Or was she just there?
Old 2013-09-01, 11:43   Link #57
zaeraal

Finally got to watch the whole episode translated, it was much better than the untranslated one.
I missed many little details before.

But first things first.
The begining was a bit slow and the appearance of Kongou was quite pointless.
Though I found it quite funny that Mikoto is trying to get that Pink Gekota from Febli by all means.
When she can just obtain it original way, since it has 1/20 chance to appear, with her money it shouldn't be a problem.

Saten's note about making research in Urban Legends was interesting, considering how many of AC rumors are true ( all of them )
She already has her Urban Rumors search club on internet blogs and is well familiar with the theme..
So who knows maybe one day in future (though it might get her killed if she really figures out something)

The bath part was not much interesting, except for maybe Mikoto giving Febli her gekota.
And Kuroko mentionig she NEVER BEFORE TOOK A BATH WITH MIKOTO

As for the fight:
The obvious trap was a bit obvious, but the fight was well done.
For those that think it was badly done, you should REWATCH IT!!

First of all Mikoto tried to control it, which failed, then she told Kuroko to stay away, so she can figure out why it failed.
She then said
Quote:
I don't know, but it looks like a manned machine.
Jeez...
What a pain in the ass!
And then she trow it away with iron sand.
She DIDN'T wanted to kill the person inside and even if she didn't felt anyone inside, she didn't wanted to risk it, because she was not sure.

Then as the Metal bar fallen, SHE CAUGHT IT with electricity and once Kuroko teleported Saten to safety she let go.
This happened so fast that it looked like she wasn't doing anything.
Next part with Febli, look, her electric defense starts when the object is really close to her.
The robot's weapon stopped quite far away, so her "automatic metal repulsion" didn't kicked in yet.

The fight was well done in my opinion.
The next part with Febli in hospital was quite slow, but ok.

The scientist talking about his plan on phone.. It was a bit stupid, but.
First of all how else should he talk about it.. he had to give some report.
Secondly, he was in a supposedly empty area I believe it was even their school.
Yes, all this "bad guys" are still STUDENTS (not sure if high school or university), so they still lack experience.
As for their plan, now it's absolutely obvious they are Level 0s and are after espers.

As for Kongo, even though I am not fan of her "ho ho ho" laugh and her speech, her getting worried about Febli was nice of her.

Now, as for Febli:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil scientist
Our puppy bit the hand that fed it.
The scientists are obviously her creators.

Quote:
If it were a human illnes, I could cure it.
But... she's not human.
She is, fully and scientifically, man made.
This is interesting, if she is 100% man made and not human, then:
- she can't be a clone (because they are humans and can be cured by Gekota Doctor),
- nor a human-robot hybrid like Nayuta (or Rensa, because they contain at least some NOT MAN MADE part)

We also can suppose she is not an AIM being, since they are trying to go agains espers, not mimic them.
(And I doubt they are so advanced they can create one)
And I am sure she is not made from various DNA, because the Gekota Doctor would not go as far as to label her not human.
It would imply she is some "chimera" he does not considers human and he refuses to heal (which goes agains his character)

All that's left is a 100% robot.
We know that AC technology is so well advanced, that they can create body parts that by 100% mimic real organs, even brain.
Nayuta's body is some 70% machine, but she still looks like a human, that's why the ordinary doctors were not able to tell.
She has very simple mind which could have been created by Nunotaba or COPIED, because we know from Railgun PSP game it's possible to copy mind.
It is also possible that she is REMOTELY CONTROLED, with a real body counterpart somewhere else.
This would be probably the best outcome.

I give this episode 8/10 (for the boring and slow parts and lack of comedy)

Also we got names of those scientists by js06:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4chan archive
Aritomi Haruki - Junji Majima
Kosako Shunichi - Yūsuke Kobayashi
Sekimura Hirotada - Takahiro Hikami
Sakurai Jun - Rei Mochizuki
Madarame Kenji - Makoto Furukawa
zaeraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 13:02   Link #58
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
I don't remember far back as Railgun 1. Did they ever do Kongou's backstory? Or was she just there?
No backstory yet in the anime. I have to mention it's not that developed in the manga either...

It still puts some depth into Kongou's character, but with no relevance to the plot... so they might not use it at all in the anime. If they do, it will probably be in Railgun 3.
leukrota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 13:35   Link #59
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
No backstory yet in the anime. I have to mention it's not that developed in the manga either...

It still puts some depth into Kongou's character, but with no relevance to the plot... so they might not use it at all in the anime. If they do, it will probably be in Railgun 3.
I think it would be for the better if they do include it, even if in season 3. It might not be relevant, but if it wasn't for the manga, I would not care much for Kongou and only find her annoying, you know?
Old 2013-09-01, 22:40   Link #60
Primary Consult

Zaeraal's explanation definitely makes this episode better... thanks!

I also liked the Kongou of this episode, so whoever on an earlier page said that, you're not alone!

Finally, I appreciate that Heaven Canceller took Mikoto aside when revealing the non-human tidbit, rather than telling the whole group. It's like he figures she's more able to "handle it", either because of her age/level or simply her experience in dealing with evil experiments.
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote