AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-10-07, 02:33   Link #481
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
I wish I had figured out how to customize Tokunaga.
Old 2008-10-07, 02:35   Link #482
Starks
*Scanlator

Also, I find the insistence on using Japanese terms to be quite absurd when one considers that the game doesn't even take place in Japan.
Old 2008-10-07, 02:42   Link #483
kiryogi

Its more like the naming and terminology that bug me more so than the honorifics. Really goes against what you hear in the audio.
kiryogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 02:57   Link #484
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks
Also, I find the insistence on using Japanese terms to be quite absurd when one considers that the game doesn't even take place in Japan.
The only real problem I have (well, not exactly a problem...) is with "butazaru."

Spoiler for butazaru:

But if you haven't heard that before, then you probably won't even notice at all.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 03:10   Link #485
Starks
*Scanlator

Anyone know the name of the seiyuu of the maid that confronted Guy in ep1?

Her voice sounds very familiar.
Old 2008-10-07, 03:13   Link #486
*reira*

I was also wondering if there were fansub groups who kept the Japanese terminology I'm familiar with, but it seems I'm out of luck ...Quite a pity in my book, considering there's so many groups subbing it;I wish somebody would also care for (apparently, the minority) those of us who have known the game in Japanese and don't really need American localisations ^^'.

The anime looks very promising for the moment , though. I'm happy Sunrise was confident enough to put quite a bit of resources into it.
*reira* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 03:15   Link #487
Starks
*Scanlator

Tales of the Abyss is natural anti-Gundam for the season.

I love it when Sunrise subtly competes against itself.
Old 2008-10-07, 03:22   Link #488
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
The only real problem I have (well, not exactly a problem...) is with "butazaru.
Spoiler:

But I guess all of us have our preferrences.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 03:27   Link #489
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by *reira* View Post
I was also wondering if there were fansub groups who kept the Japanese terminology I'm familiar with, but it seems I'm out of luck ...Quite a pity in my book, considering there's so many groups subbing it;I wish somebody would also care for (apparently, the minority) those of us who have known the game in Japanese and don't really need American localisations ^^'.
Isn't it likely that most people who played the game in Japanese know enough Japanese to just watch the anime without subtitles? I think that's the assumption.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 03:35   Link #490
*reira*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Isn't it likely that most people who played the game in Japanese know enough Japanese to just watch the anime without subtitles? I think that's the assumption.
Indeed.
I was lamenting more what you can call a redudant offer of the same dish, by too many groups: I'd like to see a little more variety, but maybe I'm pretending too much .

Anyway... I was a tad worried after hearing Ion's seiyuu would be changed (for the third time), but I really like Yumiko Kobayashi in the role. Never thought she could pull out such a gentle voice .
*reira* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 03:40   Link #491
Starks
*Scanlator

Ion's voice is not only shota-rific, but lisp-tastic too...
Old 2008-10-07, 03:41   Link #492
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So I saw the first episode finally. I liked the nice little touchs such as the practically perfect recreations of the areas of the game seen in the intro parts, the title card being done in the style of the game (the ones for when you first enter an area), Tear's fonon spells having the exact sound as from the games, and the save point for an eyecatch. I also felt the animation was pretty great, almost overkill for what basically amounts to a video game adaptation, but I can't complaing about that. Even the music felt similar to the Sakuraba's score for the games without them actually just taking all the music from the game.

I also feel it works slightly better to introduce Natalia since she's supposed to have known Luke longer then Tear. By introducing Tear first in the game I felt like Natalia was just sort of added into the story afterward to fill in the party slot, but in the anime you get that connection between her and Luke, and I bet it works better for their chemistry when she returns.

The one thing I was kind of jarred by was that I don't remember Luke sounding like a Japanese Kermit the Frog in the game. I have the undub for the game and I haven't played it in a few months, but I'm pretty sure he didn't sound quite like that.

Also, maybe it's just because Code Geass just recently ended, but Tear really is basically C.C and vice versa. It's like the character just transferred over to this show. While I did kind of get that feeling the first time I watched Code Geass, it was never quite to this extent. Same character, judgement is for the plaintiff. Overall a decent start that ends off right where I think the first episode should. Good enough for a 7/10 score in my opinion.

By the way, is it just may or does the Tartarus look way shinier in the anime then it did in the game?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 03:48   Link #493
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
By the way, is it just may or does the Tartarus look way shinier in the anime then it did in the game?
Production I.G. CG vs Sunrise CG.

Besides, the better staff/studios of Sunrise are clearly working on 00, so it doesn't look as natural as 00's or I.G's.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 05:21   Link #494
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:

The one thing I was kind of jarred by was that I don't remember Luke sounding like a Japanese Kermit the Frog in the game. I have the undub for the game and I haven't played it in a few months, but I'm pretty sure he didn't sound quite like that.
I think that's his original voice in the game. Atleast from what i remembered from watching the Viva Tales of! omake. You can youtube Lemon Gumi for reference.
Old 2008-10-07, 06:16   Link #495
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Second episode carries on moving the story along nicely. During the first episode (and all that time i've spent looking at the artwork/fanart, while wanting to play the game), i just knew Tear would turn out to be my favorite character, and that has been made even stronger during this episode. Her three cute moments were just so adorable, never at all feeling forced on the viewers. Also her interaction with Luke at the moment is quite interesting, and shall be something to keep focused on as each episode passes.

Jade was just wonderful, a true Koyasu character.

I have a request for an avatar to be made if anyone's up for it. Thanks in advance.
Old 2008-10-07, 06:33   Link #496
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Quote:
That's how Suzuki Chihiro sounds in the game. I can pretty much replay any lines from the game in my brain (yea, that addicted), they do sound the same.

...And wow, the テラ子安 thing even works in English? xD @ "true Koyasu"
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 07:32   Link #497
TrueKnight

When someone mentions Sakuraba that reminds me, who DOES the music for the anime anyway?

On side note now we have Anon joining the Abyss fansubbing club....
Old 2008-10-07, 07:57   Link #498
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
When someone mentions Sakuraba that reminds me, who DOES the music for the anime anyway?
Motoi Sakuraba. He's done work on most of the Tales of games, including Abyss. Is his score not the same for the game, as it is for this series?
Old 2008-10-07, 08:24   Link #499
TrueKnight

Yes he did compose most of the score of the Tales series. What I meant does Sakuraba still being used in the anime? Because I read somewhere that a differrent composer is being used instead for the anime.
Old 2008-10-07, 08:29   Link #500
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Motoi Sakuraba. He's done work on most of the Tales of games, including Abyss. Is his score not the same for the game, as it is for this series?
They use some of the game's bgm

Tags
fantasy