AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2010-01-04, 17:13   Link #181
Habhome

Just saw this movie, and it was really good IMO. Had me on the edge of my seat on several occasions, though some scenes were too long winded, they could have shortened those and added more of his background. They had about 15-30 minutes of background story for the protagonist filmed and done, but it got cut out, together with several hours of film I so want to see.
Habhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 20:03   Link #182
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
Just saw this movie, and it was really good IMO. Had me on the edge of my seat on several occasions, though some scenes were too long winded, they could have shortened those and added more of his background. They had about 15-30 minutes of background story for the protagonist filmed and done, but it got cut out, together with several hours of film I so want to see.
Hopefully those will be included in the blu ray. I'd like to learn more about the main character before he ended up where he was in the story.
Old 2010-01-04, 22:03   Link #183
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Hopefully those will be included in the blu ray. I'd like to learn more about the main character before he ended up where he was in the story.
They definitely will. They need extras to help sell them after all. I just want to know if the 3D will be utilized on the BD.
Old 2010-01-04, 22:25   Link #184
Nosauz

http://web.me.com/pascalboogaert/Site/foto3.html

I lol'd
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 23:35   Link #185
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Okay that is damn funny. And damn accurate too.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 02:23   Link #186
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Okay that is damn funny. And damn accurate too.
Lol, people called it Pochahontas in space, but this one takes it to a whole new level.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 03:15   Link #187
james0246

Avatar is not Pochahontas in space, it's Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter of Mars series (which, fyi, is going to be Pixar's first live action film). Or H. Rider Haggard's Allan Quatermain series. Or James Fenimore Cooper's Natty Bumpo series. Etc.

Hell, just 2 years ago, the same basic story was released, only as a CGI animated kids film called Battle for Terra. Heck, there is even a Tvtrope post concerning this story...

There is nothing really new about Avatar's story, it's simply gorgeous to look at.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 03:56   Link #188
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... its Ferngully in Space with a slight twist ending.

Can we put this "unoriginal" to bed? There are about five or six very basic stories in all of literature (ref: Joseph Campbell's mythologic analyses). Is the story told in an entertaining way? Does it have elements inserted that appeal to the audience?
Old 2010-01-05, 05:31   Link #189
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

watched it again today, this time in 2d. still as good. can't wait for blu-ray.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 05:37   Link #190
Habhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Haha xD Me and my brother saw some Pocahontas parallels too =P Still the movie was very nice. The effects were really amazing.
Old 2010-01-05, 08:12   Link #191
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye... its Ferngully in Space with a slight twist ending.

Can we put this "unoriginal" to bed? There are about five or six very basic stories in all of literature (ref: Joseph Campbell's mythologic analyses). Is the story told in an entertaining way? Does it have elements inserted that appeal to the audience?
Just because it's the basic white man oppressing native americans doesn't mean everything has to be predictable and cliche. There was so much foreshadowing that there was little surprise.

The movie's only appeal are its visuals, in 3D - that's it. Sure it's entertaining to people of all ages but I bet a lot of people will be dissatisfied with the story.
Old 2010-01-05, 10:17   Link #192
Habhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Just because it's the basic white man oppressing native americans doesn't mean everything has to be predictable and cliche. There was so much foreshadowing that there was little surprise.

The movie's only appeal are its visuals, in 3D - that's it. Sure it's entertaining to people of all ages but I bet a lot of people will be dissatisfied with the story.
True, I'd love to see it again in 3D just to fawn over the visual aspects of the movie.
Old 2010-01-05, 10:21   Link #193
james0246

Quote:

As Kenneth Turan, in the Los Angeles Times, said, "Think of 'Avatar' as 'The Jazz Singer' of 3-D filmmaking." For those who do not know, The Jazz Singer was an awful film. Extraordinarily contrived, with a silly (old) story; bad acting; bad writing; and just generally bad. But, that doesn't mean it does not deserve its praise as being the first 'talkie'. As The Jazz Singer was a significant leap forward (technologically speaking), so to is Avatar. (Addmittedly, Avatar isn't quite as large of a leap as The Jazz Singer, but it is in the ballpark.)

Consequently, Avatar happens to benefit from being part of one of the few circumstances where, even if it could be called "bad" (which I do not think it is), it is still historic simply due to its technological leap forward.
Old 2010-01-05, 10:27   Link #194
Nosauz

There's no problem with sucking, it's just that people put on their blinders and claim that this movie is "god" or the best ever, when their clearly been better. Much like people who had first read harry potter, but had not touched lord of the rings, or countless other great novels. And the thing is that when people point out the flaws of the movie, they scream and shout that it's perfect. The denialism is what makes me, as a detractor, even more frustrating.

It's true most stories can be categorized but graphics come and go, just look at the matrix's bullet time, still the first matrix is one my favorite movies even though keanu reeves can't act. It wasn't because of the ground breaking tech, it was just the memoralbleness of the characters, like agent smith, morpheus, tank or dozer.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 14:35   Link #195
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
The visuals are great sure but there's plenty of appeal besides the images and the story. For instance, the story is realistic in many ways - the science is grounded in modern theories, there are practical limitations on space travel, hardware, etc. It's not like they're whipping out time travel like it's the thing to do, like Star Trek.

I found the concepts behind the Avatar program and the Na'vi transfer system interesting. The "hair hookup" thing the Na'vi used was an interesting touch that they shared with the other native species. In a way our own internet is becoming more and more like a giant neural network, in fact many anime have followed that idea including Ghost in the Shell and Serial Experiments Lain.

Surrogates, another recent sci-fi movie, also used the concept of "avatar" bodies. Considering that scientists are getting closer and closer to mapping the brain and understanding how it works, in addition to the advancement of robotics as a whole, the idea that one day we could live out our lives in another body isn't inconceivable.

Anyway, personally I took more away from this movie than the story and the pretty visuals. I took away the possibilities and ideas that were shown. One of the things that got me into science fiction in the first place was that even the weakest of stories often had the most fantastic of settings, and other stories were absolutely amazing because they used the most mundane settings to showcase something extraordinary.

Science fiction to me has always been about the possibilities, the ability to use your imagination to ponder "what if?"
Old 2010-01-05, 14:44   Link #196
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Another bit of food for thought on a conventional RDA counter invasion which would supposedly bring heavier conventional weapons than what Quaritch had.

ISV Venture Star cargo capacity:350 metric tons
Cargo capacity of entire fleet (12 vessels):4200 metric tons

This may seem like allot until you consider that the total tonnage moved by this fleet isn't even half of what a single world war 2 liberty ship could carry (10,000 metric tons). And the United States needed to produce thousands of these ships making multiple supply runs in order to deliver the men and supplies needed to fight world war 2.

Humanity certainly isn't going to launch any kind of kind of conventional counter attack on an entire planet when they're limited to only 4200 metric tons of troops/vehicles/supplies.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 15:35   Link #197
Habhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Another bit of food for thought on a conventional RDA counter invasion which would supposedly bring heavier conventional weapons than what Quaritch had.

ISV Venture Star cargo capacity:350 metric tons
Cargo capacity of entire fleet (12 vessels):4200 metric tons

This may seem like allot until you consider that the total tonnage moved by this fleet isn't even half of what a single world war 2 liberty ship could carry (10,000 metric tons). And the United States needed to produce thousands of these ships making multiple supply runs in order to deliver the men and supplies needed to fight world war 2.

Humanity certainly isn't going to launch any kind of kind of conventional counter attack on an entire planet when they're limited to only 4200 metric tons of troops/vehicles/supplies.
Spoiler for Movie:
Old 2010-01-05, 17:29   Link #198
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
Spoiler for Movie:
Spoiler:
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 18:17   Link #199
james0246

Because I found it a little funny: Deleted Avatar Sex Scene Opens Up Some Serious Bestiality Issues.
Old 2010-01-05, 18:36   Link #200
Habhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Spoiler:
True true... Well, I already know my memory is bad so I often come to the wrong conclusions about movies xD