Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-14, 21:56   Link #101
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
This is anime. You're not truly dead unless we see a dead body.
It's like the second rule for surviving the zombie apocalypse, always double-tap!

I am loving just how badass Bainas is, even facing Gido/Dick she was pretty much able to keep her cool even if she was rattled by the encounter. Also like how the past two episodes have given the side characters a tiny bit of screen time, at this point I don't know if just one more episode can wrap everything up but they've certainly done an interesting job so far with this show.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 07:04   Link #102
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I really liked episode 5. It's such a shame there is only one episode left... this series had a lot of potential.
Old 2012-04-16, 10:56   Link #103
arkxkra
全力全開

what? only 6 episode? too little...and I love this show. If they can wrap up everything by 6 episode then I don't mind.
Old 2012-04-20, 14:51   Link #104
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
This is anime. You're not truly dead unless we see a dead body.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Gido is not dead. They didn't find the body and only found parts of the mask.

It would be interesting to see if Gido/Dick shows up in time to save Sam and redeems himself by dying in Bainas's arms or something like that.

The whole Ideal Children being genetically engineered by the humans of their past contrasting with the Natura who have adapted to the harsh landscape...it's almost as if Leiji Matsumoto is going for an answer to Gattaca (a fantastic and underrated movie)

Looking forward to the last episode tomorrow. Sam is still a bit too shounen hero stereotype, and I was hoping to see Gido be more conflicted in his actions. At least Bainas seems to be more fleshed out of the four main characters(Sam, Maya, Gido and her).
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 17:43   Link #105
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Many of Matsumoto's stories have elements of Humans verse Machine Men (or clones) in that natural is better since all other forms sacrifice one's humanity in some way. Galaxy Express 999 was all about human failings and how machine men tended to make a failing worse in some way. (extra greed, lack of compassion, glutony. Basically every classical sin possible was taken up, one at a time, by some machine or another.) Or some alien race...or even some human society. Sometimes to the point were Maetel would just go and blow the planet up.

But then he also seems to use the theme of "true men" a lot as well. Also hotheaded youth, though Sam seems to be a little more stubbornly stupid than most. Even more so that Tadashi Daiba from the Harlock series. And it is hard to get more stubbornly stupid in todays age. at least around 1980, it didn't seem quite as bad, and he was contrast by Harlock. Bainas doesn't contrast Sam...she just sends Mimay to keep him from getting himself killed. She's much more Emeraldas than Harlock.

(There is an old rule. Never upset the daughters of Queen La Andromeda Promethium. If you do...you, and possibly your entire planet, will die.)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-20 at 17:56.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 11:18   Link #106
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Fine with the way it ended. Think it could have been better if they had more time and eps. Dick saves the day!
Old 2012-04-21, 16:30   Link #107
Kirarakim

The ending was fine and I think the last moment of Dick & Bainas was the highlight for me but still this series lacked something. It had some interesting concepts but the short length really did make it hard to feel a connection to any of the characters.

Ah well I suppose at only 6 episodes it was a quick watch anyways.
Old 2012-04-21, 16:37   Link #108
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

What a pity. If only there were more episodes to properly flesh out the characters and the plot...but I guess one could not ask much from a 6-episode anime series.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 06:55   Link #109
Dop
Mmmm....

As much as I liked this show i do think that it could have done with 12 episodes to flesh out the backstory and give us more insight into the characters and the situations.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 07:03   Link #110
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This series was definitely too short for its own good. It had a lot of potential that will forever be left unrealized. A shame.

The ending was fairly predictable, but okay.
Old 2012-04-22, 14:05   Link #111
ookamigirl

Maya & Ozma.
Like watching beauty and the beast communicate.
Bainas & Dick love story was sad.
I think Maya chose well.
Good final episode.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 15:44   Link #112
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well...It was definately a Matsumoto show.

I liked parts of it, but I still don't like that I have more questions than answers....that that is normal when he doesn't have 20+ episodes to tell the story.

I usually don't like ending that give you the start of hope, but never follow through. We can see the effect of Ozuma in the cavern, but have no clue what it will bring to the planet, the Ideal Children, or anything else on the surface. I suppose Maya's speech is enough that it will eventually take over the planets and save it form the sandy dead world it became. But how long? What about the water? What about the humans that may or may not try to slow its progress?

Many questions. No answers.

But it was suppose to be a movie.
Old 2012-04-22, 21:36   Link #113
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

This wasnt to bad it was short and sweet
Old 2012-04-22, 23:51   Link #114
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Interesting but ultimately unfulfilling. Still think it would have worked better as a movie with the budget that entails. Get a good director and you might have had something special here, as it stands this show ended all too soon and will likely be forgotten as the rest of the season progresses on without it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 03:43   Link #115
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Yeah it was a fairly predictable ending and too difficult to be emotionally invested in but hey I couldn't but think that soundtrack was pretty damn sweet. XD
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 11:26   Link #116
arkxkra
全力全開

too short, really hope there is more episode so can explain more toward the background, but overall was not bad.
Old 2012-04-29, 13:33   Link #117
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

So sad to see something that could have been absolutely great only be merely very good because it only had six episodes, and it didn't have enough time to flesh out the characters, and you could have seen certain developments a mile away. I even predicted Dick showing up to save the day.

It was a little annoying that the doctor's only moments in this last episode were yelling "Bainas!", as if there was something she could really do against a beast like Ozma. Although seeing Gido in Dick's body had to have been a shock to her, and then Dick sneaking on the ship, and using the Monokeros to stop Ozma's rampage.

Maya's realization and the message of Ozma is a slightly hopeful one. Mankind is strong because it can adapt, and Nature is still stronger than anything we could invent. And so the Natura will survive because they adapted to the world while the Ideal Children were going extinct because they were static and unchanging. And looks like Mimay was implied to win so certain Childhood friend shippers can count this series as a implied win. It would have been nice for Mimay to be fleshed out a little more and maybe more time on what their relationship and backstory was.

Dick's goodbye to Bainas was really sad, and the music for this series was pretty good. This would have been epic if it got a full cour. Episode and series gets a 8/10.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 21:39   Link #118
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
And looks like Mimay was implied to win so certain Childhood friend shippers can count this series as a implied win. It would have been nice for Mimay to be fleshed out a little more and maybe more time on what their relationship and backstory was.
Nah, it shouldn't be counted as a win since the "competition" was dying and merged with a machine to save the planet.