Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-13, 15:49   Link #221
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I laughed at the news caster decked out in cowboy gear. Then again I've never been to Texas (except the airport) so maybe that is accurate
No...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 15:52   Link #222
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Using a fire extinguisher to rob a place, why didn't I think of that
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 15:55   Link #223
ditn

Guess Mutta might get lucky here because they will all see it if he does something with everything he memorized at the cafe.
Instead of bad luck it might be good luck
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 15:56   Link #224
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
No...
Aww how disappointing

To tell you the truth though when I was in Tennessee I did see quite a few people decked out in cowboy gear (the hat & boots) in the local bars.
Old 2012-05-13, 16:25   Link #225
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Most television newscasters spend their careers moving from market to market. They maintain a generic "professional" image and typically avoid what are known as "regionalisms" in terms of accent, speech patterns, or dress styles. The usual career path begins with graduation from a school of communication or journalism and working at a station in a smaller market. The more successful ones "graduate" to larger markets. Working for an "O&O," a station owned-and-operated by one of the major television networks, is often a major career goal. Getting noticed at an O&O in a mid-sized market can be the port of entry to a highly-lucrative job on a network affiliate in a large market like New York or Los Angeles.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 16:40   Link #226
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Most television newscasters spend their careers moving from market to market. They maintain a generic "professional" image and typically avoid what are known as "regionalisms" in terms of accent, speech patterns, or dress styles. The usual career path begins with graduation from a school of communication or journalism and working at a station in a smaller market. The more successful ones "graduate" to larger markets. Working for an "O&O," a station owned-and-operated by one of the major television networks, is often a major career goal. Getting noticed at an O&O in a mid-sized market can be the port of entry to a highly-lucrative job on a network affiliate in a large market like New York or Los Angeles.

I just want to point out I was only joking with that comment about the news caster in Texas hence the.

I assume working for Houston though would be considered a big market.
Old 2012-05-13, 17:36   Link #227
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I just want to point out I was only joking with that comment about the news caster in Texas hence the.

I assume working for Houston though would be considered a big market.
I rather guessed that, yes. Houston is ranked 10th with about 2.2 million television households. The four leaders, New York (7.4 m), Los Angeles (5.6 m), Chicago (3.5 m), and Philadelphia (3.0 m) have remained at the top of the list for decades.
Old 2012-05-13, 18:15   Link #228
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I rather guessed that, yes. Houston is ranked 10th with about 2.2 million television households. The four leaders, New York (7.4 m), Los Angeles (5.6 m), Chicago (3.5 m), and Philadelphia (3.0 m) have remained at the top of the list for decades.
Ah I never knew my city (Philadelphia) was one of the top markets. That's pretty cool. Then again I always feel like Philadelphia is treated as the step child of big cities.
Old 2012-05-17, 22:58   Link #229
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
I laughed at the news caster decked out in cowboy gear. Then again I've never been to Texas (except the airport) so maybe that is accurate

Another great episode, just loving the slow pace of this series which is really great for building up the characters.

Edit: Also we're they eating in a diner? One hundred even for steak seems a bit steep.
I visited Texas last year for a vacation, and between all the driving I did to see Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio and Houston is 8 days or so, I hardly ever saw anyone decked out in cowboy gear.

Some of the buildings they showed in Episode 6 are really there at Johnson Space Center, which I was fortunate enough to be able to visit. It's actually in a suburb called Clear Lake, and it took me from where I was staying in West Houston about 45 minutes to drive to Johnson Space Center.

Interesting JSC tidbit: not far from where they have the Saturn V rocket(you can see that building in Episode 6), they have an area where they breed longhorn cattle.

Oh, and you'd be surprised that there are some Americans who cannot pronounce "Massachusetts", and Boston-area locals know that you are not from the area if you say Quin-zee(Quincy) as Quin-cee.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 01:40   Link #230
Nerroth
NePoi!

It probably won't be in the show, since it's only recently opened in real life; but if Mutta wanted to see how the Beautiful Game fares in Houston, this might be the place for him to start.

Old 2012-05-18, 06:00   Link #231
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
Oh, and you'd be surprised that there are some Americans who cannot pronounce "Massachusetts", and Boston-area locals know that you are not from the area if you say Quin-zee(Quincy) as Quin-cee.
I doubt those people work as newscasters in America's tenth-largest market.

Of course, it's Quin-zee, just like Dorchester is Daw-chesta.
Old 2012-05-19, 22:50   Link #232
Utsuro no Hako

WARNING: Do not watch the preview at the end of Episode 8 -- it kills all suspense about what Mutta found.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 23:08   Link #233
sikvod00

^ haha. so true
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 23:08   Link #234
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
WARNING: Do not watch the preview at the end of Episode 8 -- it kills all suspense about what Mutta found.
Seconded. I watched the preview thinking it wouldn't spoil anything...at least it's not another clifhanger...
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 23:39   Link #235
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
for a minute there, i thought Mutta ended up accidentally french kissing the robber instead, i bet the fangirls will squeal to death if that really happened......
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 03:46   Link #236
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
Seconded. I watched the preview thinking it wouldn't spoil anything...at least it's not another clifhanger...
Yeah that really blew me away how they built up all the tension and then dispersed it in the preview .

The whole thing was pretty funny. I really thought it would be about his talents saving the day, but mostly it was just thanks to Appo that things worked out. Well this proves that luck hasn't forsaken Mutta. He still had to take action to make sure it all worked out.
Old 2012-05-20, 10:49   Link #237
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Figured Mutta would have done something like that. Well looks like he got some luck and is confident now. Wonder what the third exam will be. Wow Hibito really thinks ahead.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:10   Link #238
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

An excellent conclusion to the trip to Houston, I thought. Certainly the best of these episodes because it moved the story forward and concentrated on Mutta's future. The moral conundrum Mutta faces makes this episode for me. He learns the difference between "public" and "private" faces and whether he must at least bend, if not outright falsify, the truth. The sequence that begins with "Never lie in the face of justice" followed by the conversation with Ozzy in the men's room is a terrific piece of writing.
Spoiler for resolving the issue:

I stopped watching during the ED and didn't see the episode preview so I'll have one of those week-long cliff hangers that watching anime in real-time creates. This one in terms of melodramatic effect reminds me of waiting to find out whether Streseman got that kiss in Nodame Cantabile. I've watched many shows seriatim where cliff-hangers don't really matter. Just imagine what watching Hikaru no Go on a once-a-week basis must have been like!

I didn't realize Crunchyroll carried the episode previews for Space Brothers. They don't include them for the two noitaminA shows this season so I didn't look for the preview here.

It was so obvious who the sender of the text message would be.

By the way, why weren't they having a real-time conversation with their parents using the 2025 equivalent of Skype? The NASA folks could have watched a few impressions of Japanese personalities that the Americans wouldn't recognize. Including the download lets the director build some anticipation and drama into the scene, but it still feels phony. This is another technological anachronism like last week's radio that just bothers me about this series. The best near-future science fiction shows an enormous attention to detail and tries to project a realistic extrapolation of current technologies a decade or two into the future. That's not an easy task, but Space Brothers could do a better job of it. I suggest they watch Dennou Coil or Planetes one more time and see how this sort of near-future sci-fi is done.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-05-20 at 11:59.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:42   Link #239
ookamigirl

Mutta, the American national hero!
Good thing that robber decide to rob the place when Mutta was there.
The second exam results finally came too. Not much surprise there.
Just one more exam to go. At least he's going home for now.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 16:20   Link #240
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Very appropriate space photo today.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, seinen