Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-06-10, 23:03   Link #1221
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Dayummmm... I can smell the burn from here.

Old 2013-06-10, 23:10   Link #1222
Excorsism

The only reason why I'd buy a Xbox One.
Old 2013-06-10, 23:17   Link #1223
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
hahahahahaha!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 23:45   Link #1224
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Sony proved that they didn't need Exclusives to sell their console; they just had to place themselves as the clear choice for multi-platform gaming. Exclusives are nice, but they are sticks, not carrots. MS will as usual pay game companies for timed exclusives, but that isn't going to work any better than before.
MS was dominating most of the big multiplat exclusives with the Xbox Live ecosystem, I don't see that changing with XboxOne, especially since they seem to be even more in bed with EA/Ubisoft/Activision this time around so there's going to be even more 'exclusive' goodies for the XboxOne.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 23:47   Link #1225
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
People buy Sony consoles to play JRPGs and Metal Gear games that don't end up on any other platform. I literally have no other reason to buy a Sony console--everything else ends up on Steam.
Old 2013-06-10, 23:50   Link #1226
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
MS was dominating most of the big multiplat exclusives with the Xbox Live ecosystem, I don't see that changing with XboxOne, especially since they seem to be even more in bed with EA/Ubisoft/Activision this time around so there's going to be even more 'exclusive' goodies for the XboxOne.
only until they see that MS alienated their fans with the xboxone and start running away from it faster than the flash.
Old 2013-06-10, 23:52   Link #1227
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
People buy Sony consoles to play JRPGs and Metal Gear games that don't end up on any other platform. I literally have no other reason to buy a Sony console--everything else ends up on Steam.
And Metal Gear is not a exclusive anymore.

Steam or other pc digital enterprises is the way.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 23:53   Link #1228
takai
Easy Muffin

Quote:
This. This. This.

Because of today's conferences I've become a PC guy. The amount of money I would spend on a console could pay for stuff to go towards my computer to play games a hundred times better.

So, besides a computer what else do I need to get to fully enjoy the PC experience?
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 23:56   Link #1229
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Yeah, being in 'bed' with 3rd parties that will most definitely have 99% of their games on all consoles is such a good thing for Microsoft.

Honestly, unless Microsoft's investment into their 1st party developers pay off very very well, we're already seeing the vestiges of how the games support will turn out.

JRPGs and Japanese-centric developers pretty much boycotted the 360 as the momentum failed to capture the Japanese market.

Many early XBox 'exclusives' eventually went on to join the Playstation ecosystem as well, or at least be ported over to the PC.

PS3 continues to have a strong range of exclusive games that's only exclusive to the console. Sure, they've lost some old-age exclusives along the way, but they've done well to build up a range of strong new IPs over the years.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 23:59   Link #1230
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Many early XBox 'exclusives' eventually went on to join the Playstation ecosystem as well, or at least be ported over to the PC.
Maybe, but I don't know if you could say that for sure.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 00:01   Link #1231
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
only until they see that MS alienated their fans with the xboxone and start running away from it faster than the flash.
They don't care about those fans. They weren't paying into the Xbox Live ecosystem anyways. This is their game plan this time around, tying everything around their ecosystem and maximizing their profit from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Yeah, being in 'bed' with 3rd parties that will most definitely have 99% of their games on all consoles is such a good thing for Microsoft.

Honestly, unless Microsoft's investment into their 1st party developers pay off very very well, we're already seeing the vestiges of how the games support will turn out.

JRPGs and Japanese-centric developers pretty much boycotted the 360 as the momentum failed to capture the Japanese market.

PS3 continues to have the strong range of exclusive games.
All the big multiplats with online components sold better on the Xbox360 compared to the PS3, and the retention rate was much higher on XboxLive. That's not going to change this time around because it was XboxLive that was getting them those numbers. Exclusives don't really mean much if they don't produce the kind of profit that MS and the big publishers want. Profit nowadays means online connectivity, online multiplayer, DLC packs, cash shop options. That's the route the XboxOne is going down and that's why the publishers are on board.
Old 2013-06-11, 00:07   Link #1232
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
Maybe, but I don't know if you could say that for sure.
Maybe indeed.

But put it this way. 360 had a huge momentum going into the previous console war. They laid out major heavy hitters, from Lost Oddysey all the way to IDOLM@STER. They literally left no stone unturned in their attempt to conquer the gaming market everywhere.

They've lost a lot of that momentum this gen, partly in due to the fact that Japan hates the 360, as well as the fact that PS3 has enough of a critical mass that most 3rd party devs cannot afford to alienate the Playstation base.

That story is unlikely to change going into this gen. It'll take a long time for the consoles to gain the critical mass they want, and even then, both consoles will have a major share.

Even if none of their 'exclusives' go on to be multi-plat this time round, I feel like they're not going to be able to go as strong as they did for the 360.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 00:15   Link #1233
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Third console curse. XBone should be Microsoft's N64.
Old 2013-06-11, 00:27   Link #1234
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

ROTFL

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-06-11, 00:33   Link #1235
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Third console curse. XBone should be Microsoft's N64.
You mean the Saturn. The N64 was actually quite successful.
Old 2013-06-11, 00:37   Link #1236
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
You mean the Saturn. The N64 was actually quite successful.
MS will throw so much money into it that it'll probably be more successful than the Saturn. They'll probably pay for a lot of console exclusives.
Old 2013-06-11, 00:40   Link #1237
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
I buy Sony consoles to play JRPGs and Metal Gear games that don't end up on any other platform. I literally have no other reason to buy a Sony console--everything else I want ends up on Steam.
fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takai View Post
This. This. This.

Because of today's conferences I've become a PC guy. The amount of money I would spend on a console could pay for stuff to go towards my computer to play games a hundred times better.

As a long time PC AND console gamer, no, a PC doesn't "play games a hundred times better."

Some game plays better on the PC, other games plays better on a console. Sometimes the precision of KB/M control is what I want, while other times it's just a much better experience to sit back on a couch and enjoy console gaming on the big screen in my home theater system.

Quote:
So, besides a computer what else do I need to get to fully enjoy the PC experience?
a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers?
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 00:46   Link #1238
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

XBox One? More like XBox Done. *trollface*

XBox, go home.
Old 2013-06-11, 00:48   Link #1239
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
fixed.

As a long time PC AND console gamer, no, a PC doesn't "play games a hundred times better."

Some game plays better on the PC, other games plays better on a console. Sometimes the precision of KB/M control is what I want, while other times it's just a much better experience to sit back on a couch and enjoy console gaming on the big screen in my home theater system.

a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers?
You can hook your PC up to your TV and sit on your couch too. You can even get your PS3 controller working on your PC pretty easily, even in wireless mode.
Old 2013-06-11, 01:05   Link #1240
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
You can hook your PC up to your TV and sit on your couch too. You can even get your PS3 controller working on your PC pretty easily, even in wireless mode.
My PC is nowhere near my TV, nor do I want it to be. I actually do use my PC for work, which means I'd rather keep my desk and multi-monitor setup - a couch is not very ergonomically conductive to keyboard and mouse.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote