AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-24, 06:51   Link #61
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

it's sad to have all these characters like Sasakibe and not even really utilize them
Old 2012-03-24, 08:40   Link #62
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
it's sad to have all these characters like Sasakibe and not even really utilize them
forget sasakibe, what about the cooler and perhaps less popular shinigami captains like kyourako and ukitake? even yamaji has been portrayed as nothing more than a powerful shinigami who founded the shinigami academy. i once read a post in this forums that bleach is a characer-driven series, that's nonsense! none of the characters really evolve, they remain the same, their stories remain the same. they don't grow at all, they just grow more powerful. kubo's characters lack depth, and it's a shame because he created some pretty interesting characters that could have gotten better if he only knew how to develop them.
Old 2012-03-24, 09:20   Link #63
sayde

I think they lack depth and development because he's simply created way too many characters. So on the bright side, you're bound to find at least a few characters you'll like among all the different personalities the series has to offer. But unless that personal favorite happens to be pivotal to the plot, then chances are they're not getting much development. Perhaps minor protagonists will get snippets of development here and there, but that's likely to be all. In the case of Sasakibe, it's pretty easy to see why he'd be among the first to go when Kubo decided he'd finally start killing off good guys.

After all these years, he either couldn't think of a compelling purpose for him or didn't have the time to. With that said, many of us know that Kubo's not the type of writer to plan his plot out in great detail long in advance. He makes much of it up as he goes along. So its somewhat easy to assume why he'd be hesitant to kill characters off in the first place. (because he wouldn't want to accidentally screw himself out of using a potential character for a specific purpose later on). I guess in the case of Sasakibe, if Kubo couldn't come up with anything for this guy to do by now, its safe for him to assume he can kill him off without jeopardizing future plans for his plot since he's only got this final arc to work with now.
Old 2012-03-24, 09:52   Link #64
Eragon
Still Alive

^ Makes you wonder why we are following Bleach even after knowing all this for quite some time. But like you said, since Bleach has so many characters people have their favorites and perhaps are only following it to see them. Honestly speaking, since the Xcution arc(and maybe even before that), I'm only following Bleach to see Byakuya, Kenpachi, Hollow Ichigo, Yoruichi and Urahara.
Old 2012-03-24, 10:02   Link #65
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
^ Makes you wonder why we are following Bleach even after knowing all this for quite some time. But like you said, since Bleach has so many characters people have their favorites and perhaps are only following it to see them. Honestly speaking, since the Xcution arc(and maybe even before that), I'm only following Bleach to see Byakuya, Kenpachi, Hollow Ichigo, Yoruichi and Urahara.
Yeah. With regards to the characters, Aizen, Unohana, Isshin, Ryuuken, & Urahara, are pretty much the only characters that keep me coming back each week.
Old 2012-03-24, 10:06   Link #66
Langus
Optimus Prime

This sh*t is finally getting good!

Nel's return was a nice surprise and put me in a good mood for the rest of the chapter. It got even better once I saw that sexy as hell shot of Hallibel all chained up. Someone send me a coloured version of that - onegaishimasu!

This new guy is growing on me. I don't really care what his motive is, but if him being around leads to a culling of Bleach's bloated cast roster I'm in!
Old 2012-03-24, 10:18   Link #67
Eragon
Still Alive

^ I wouldn't get my hopes up, seeing only an insignificant character has died. But, I guess it couldn't hurt to be optimistic.
Old 2012-03-24, 11:15   Link #68
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
I think they lack depth and development because he's simply created way too many characters. So on the bright side, you're bound to find at least a few characters you'll like among all the different personalities the series has to offer. But unless that personal favorite happens to be pivotal to the plot, then chances are they're not getting much development. Perhaps minor protagonists will get snippets of development here and there, but that's likely to be all. In the case of Sasakibe, it's pretty easy to see why he'd be among the first to go when Kubo decided he'd finally start killing off good guys.

After all these years, he either couldn't think of a compelling purpose for him or didn't have the time to. With that said, many of us know that Kubo's not the type of writer to plan his plot out in great detail long in advance. He makes much of it up as he goes along. So its somewhat easy to assume why he'd be hesitant to kill characters off in the first place. (because he wouldn't want to accidentally screw himself out of using a potential character for a specific purpose later on). I guess in the case of Sasakibe, if Kubo couldn't come up with anything for this guy to do by now, its safe for him to assume he can kill him off without jeopardizing future plans for his plot since he's only got this final arc to work with now.
it has nothing to do with the amount of characters. oda has more characters in one piece but he utilizes them pretty well. granted that he has his core characters that he steadily develops, he also takes care of his minor ones. he even has mini stories that give you updates about the characters that have no part in the current storyline. kubo simply doesn't know how to develop his characters. even ichigo lacks depth and he's the main character.
Old 2012-03-24, 12:52   Link #69
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
it has nothing to do with the amount of characters.
Well it kinda does. Granted, its no excuse, but its an explanation nonetheless when you factor in Kubo's other traits.

If you're not the type of writer who believes in planning ahead in great depth and you've no intention of creating a plot with no end in sight, what we end up with are a bunch of new characters being introduced to serve purposes that don't initially extend beyond the point the plot is at. So these characters get left behind as the plot moves forward which leaves them with very little reason to get any character development in the first place. Now Bleach seems to be coming to a close. So assuming Kubo was competent at minor character development, its got to be tough to pull that off when you're not leaving yourself left with much time or opportunity to do so.

When it comes to Oda, I don't read up on his interviews and I don't read the one piece manga. So all I have to go by is what I've seen from the anime. With that said, I'm impressed with Oda's ability to give attention to minor characters and am even more impressed with how he's able to make such characters become pretty important much later on in the plot after you've completely forgotten about them. But I feel like Oda can afford to develop his cast more since he seems to be better capable of planning how to integrate his minor characters into his plot (both in the short & long term). He also doesn't seem like he's ending One Piece anytime soon. So I wonder if that means he can better afford to go off on tangents as he pleases for the sake of character development.

Last edited by sayde; 2012-03-24 at 14:14.
Old 2012-03-24, 13:03   Link #70
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Didn't bother with manga until this chapter, will read another 5 chapters and if nothing, will limit myself to just small spoilers. Those usually are more than enough

The only real reason I check series is because I'm curious about Hollow Ichigo, Soi Fon, Shunsui and a bit of Mayuri.

Everyone else started to blank in my eyes =/

Though I also like Halibel and seriously hope that she won't become a new miss in distress who needs to be save by Ichigo. If so, Kubo has the worst imagination ever.
Old 2012-03-24, 14:30   Link #71
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Though I also like Halibel and seriously hope that she won't become a new miss in distress who needs to be save by Ichigo. If so, Kubo has the worst imagination ever.
That has me worried as well...
Old 2012-03-24, 14:31   Link #72
Eragon
Still Alive

@kitten320: My thoughts exactly. I don't wanna see another character ruined like Orihime.
Old 2012-03-24, 20:25   Link #73
kitten320

That will be worse than Orihime, Halibel is a 3rd Espada who stood her ground against 3 opponents at once.
Old 2012-03-24, 20:47   Link #74
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Halibel will have to be rescued. I don't get the worry about her character being "ruined". She was strong, but it's not like she was a total badass or anything. I do dread two years spent on Ichigo & co. making their way into the ice palace to rescue her.

Little doubt they'll have to save Halibel, but I hope that's a relatively small part of the story here. Also, I wonder what happened to Apache, Sun Sun and Mila Rose?

Old 2012-03-25, 06:06   Link #75
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
She was strong, but it's not like she was a total badass or anything. I do dread two years spent on Ichigo & co. making their way into the ice palace to rescue her.
B-b-but Ichigo must have someone to save! It's not like he's been doing anything else for the past few years...
Quote:
Also, I wonder what happened to Apache, Sun Sun and Mila Rose?
Some say they died, some say Orihime healed them back. I say they were positioned as toys for the entertainment of the new big bad's grunts, that must be how he gained popularity among his fellow kin.
Old 2012-03-25, 09:22   Link #76
kitten320

Why can't someone else save her? Ichigo on white horse is damn boring!

Can't he do something else for a change?
Old 2012-03-25, 09:40   Link #77
Eragon
Still Alive

^ Yeah, like Yoruichi saving her. Now that would be something
Old 2012-03-25, 09:51   Link #78
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Why can't someone else save her? Ichigo on white horse is damn boring!

Can't he do something else for a change?
Time for Ichigo to become the horse, and let the king save her...or kill her. Too bad he got over that, I really liked his alter ego.
Old 2012-03-25, 10:34   Link #79
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Time for Ichigo to become the horse, and let the king save her...or kill her. Too bad he got over that, I really liked his alter ego.
Yeah, many people probably like hollow Ichigo more than Ichigo. I hope kubo hasn't forgotten him like he forgot about the arrancars till now.
Old 2012-03-25, 11:06   Link #80
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

In all honesty I couldn't care less about any of the characters anymore. I just wanna kno how Kubo is going to explain all those dangling loose plot threads...
Closed Thread