AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-20, 19:08   Link #3201
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I had that happen when I didn't have dragons on the exclusion list for ASIS, like Deadly Dragons is supposed to do. Needless to say it did not end well. It had been my second dragon encounter ever--at that level I was apparently capable of taking on two on with Lydia and Cerwiden's help, but certainly not three.
Old 2012-09-23, 12:31   Link #3202
sa547
*Author

Tried out this unusual crafting guide (made as in-game books), and absolutely without the use of any performance-enhancing mods or even cheats, I was able to raise the damage and protection output of my gear, along with boosted potions and enchantments.

Suffice to say that even with a lot of effort, it's still astonishing to see the results, especially that the guide even works with DG.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16132

Note: this is too much, for the upgrading technique can very well break the game. Decided not to go overboard. You have been warned.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-09-24 at 21:10.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 12:22   Link #3203
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I swear, some days this game feels less like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and more like The Elder Scrolls V: Dude, Where's My Horse?
Old 2012-09-26, 12:52   Link #3204
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I swear, some days this game feels less like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and more like The Elder Scrolls V: Dude, Where's My Horse?
I took to using the mod "Convenient Horses" (in general) or the mod "Ethereal Horse" for my mages.

Yeah, I got tired of my horses running away, vanishing, being killed in one swipe by a rat, etc.
Old 2012-09-26, 18:06   Link #3205
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I would too, but honestly I'm afraid of continually adding mods to my gameplay. I'm level 31 now and I do not want to start all over.

Again.
Old 2012-09-26, 18:18   Link #3206
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
I would too, but honestly I'm afraid of continually adding mods to my gameplay. I'm level 31 now and I do not want to start all over.

Again.
Store copies of your saves some where else.
Old 2012-09-26, 18:52   Link #3207
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I keep a working vanilla copy of the entire game (and a latest proven-to-work modded version) on a different disk as well as the saves. That way if a mod blows up and it won't uninstall properly, I just dump the backup on top of the broken game.
Old 2012-09-26, 18:57   Link #3208
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I've got such in place too, but I'm not worried about a sudden catastrophic failure. In my experiences repeated mod additions and removals can slowly corrupt and destabilize the game, and unfortunately Wrye Bash for Skyrim isn't nearly as useful as Wrye Mash was for Morrowind. The lack of a working xEdit program for Skyrim certainly doesn't help matters. Ultimately I find it safer to get the mods I want installed, then start the game and try and complete it.
Old 2012-09-26, 20:23   Link #3209
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I've got such in place too, but I'm not worried about a sudden catastrophic failure. In my experiences repeated mod additions and removals can slowly corrupt and destabilize the game, and unfortunately Wrye Bash for Skyrim isn't nearly as useful as Wrye Mash was for Morrowind. The lack of a working xEdit program for Skyrim certainly doesn't help matters. Ultimately I find it safer to get the mods I want installed, then start the game and try and complete it.
Not a bad idea (particularly with mods that mess with perks and stuff).
The only thing I'll add any more is if I trip across a particular armor/weapon kit.

I was trying some of the "mod races" last week with a test copy and they blew me up several times, very dangerous
Old 2012-09-26, 20:44   Link #3210
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I'm only really interested in mod races if they add new NPCs of that race. I feel disconcerted if I'm the only one of that race unless there's a good reason for it, like the Dremora race mod for Morrowind... but then again I only really play human anyway. Or female wood elf in Morrowind, when they looked less alien.
Old 2012-09-26, 21:34   Link #3211
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, too much of the dialog stops making sense and the NPCs don't react to the "alien creature". Of course, I never really liked it that the game let me, as a khajiit character, enter cities right after the caravans tell you "they don't let khajiit in"

I'd rather see some sort of questy thing where you have to get an exception badge or something to be able to enter cities and even then the guards give you a hard time
Old 2012-09-27, 01:57   Link #3212
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I'm only really interested in mod races if they add new NPCs of that race. I feel disconcerted if I'm the only one of that race unless there's a good reason for it, like the Dremora race mod for Morrowind... but then again I only really play human anyway. Or female wood elf in Morrowind, when they looked less alien.
Funny thing is that I once conjured a couple of Dremoras in front of Stendarr Vigilants posted at Stendarr's Beacon and despite all their diatribes about soul-sucking, world-ending daedras and other otherworldly evils, they did not budge one inch to get rid of the abominations I had just summoned.

All bark, no bite or poor eyesight. Isran was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, too much of the dialog stops making sense and the NPCs don't react to the "alien creature". Of course, I never really liked it that the game let me, as a khajiit character, enter cities right after the caravans tell you "they don't let khajiit in"

I'd rather see some sort of questy thing where you have to get an exception badge or something to be able to enter cities and even then the guards give you a hard time
One thing that surprised me is that they let my character (an Imperial) inside Windhelm without manifesting too much animosity (Riften and Markarth, IMHO, were far less welcoming/warm). You'd think that with all the "Empire is evil and moribund, long live the righteous Nords" mentality ruling within the very epicenter of the rebellion, there'd be more hostility aimed at me for being part of the Evil Empire...even though, back then, I was acting as an envoy for Balgruuf and normally ambassadors are traditionally granted immunity (save for bearers of bad news - we all know what happens to those). But then again, they did give some berth to the Elves from the Gray Quarter in spite of the lingering xenophobia...

Quote:
For me it's more like "Dude, where's my Serana?" I just started the Dawnguard storyline, this time playing on the Dawnguard side (a lot of people seem to prefer the DG side instead of the Volkihar side).

For some reason, even though she's wearing light armor, she's awfully SLOW. I mean, Lydia can easily leave her in the dust even when wearing a full set of Daedric armor. And the freakiest thing is that I sometimes stop for a full minute to allow her to catch up with me (and I just spun on my heel to face the road behind me) and I still don't see her coming...but when I do a 180° turn just to check for nearby dangerous wildlife, she's RIGHT THERE BEHIND ME. O_O She almost gave a couple heart attacks that way while in the Soul Cairn.

Bloody vampire ninjas...

It's almost as bad as Creepy Watson:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Renegade334; 2012-09-27 at 02:39.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 03:33   Link #3213
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
For some reason, even though she's wearing light armor, she's awfully SLOW. I mean, Lydia can easily leave her in the dust even when wearing a full set of Daedric armor. And the freakiest thing is that I sometimes stop for a full minute to allow her to catch up with me (and I just spun on my heel to face the road behind me) and I still don't see her coming...but when I do a 180° turn just to check for nearby dangerous wildlife, she's RIGHT THERE BEHIND ME. O_O She almost gave a couple heart attacks that way while in the Soul Cairn.

Bloody vampire ninjas...
She'll probably have no problem wearing Nightingale armor.

--------------
The most startling find I stumbled upon Nexus was Additional Player Voices for Skyrim from a Japanese modder, which now allows the character to have a limited voice set (it's female for the moment, but I swear she sounds like Aya Endo or Miyuki Sawashiro).

All of the sudden, the mod goes perfectly with my otherwise mute character and makes her more alive! Now it's fun playing again!

Now if you want English and other Western voices, and/or if your character is male, get them here from another author.
Old 2012-09-27, 13:06   Link #3214
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Is it normal for Skyforge Steel weaponry to be the only thing you use for the majority of the game if you smith? So far my Skyforge Steel Sword, Greatsword, and Dagger, when improved upon, have better damage stats than... anything. Only thing I haven't tested them against yet is the Glass, Ebony, Daedric, and Dragonbone weaponry. And I'm going to scream if it beats out Glass.
Old 2012-09-27, 13:24   Link #3215
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Is it normal for Skyforge Steel weaponry to be the only thing you use for the majority of the game if you smith? So far my Skyforge Steel Sword, Greatsword, and Dagger, when improved upon, have better damage stats than... anything. Only thing I haven't tested them against yet is the Glass, Ebony, Daedric, and Dragonbone weaponry. And I'm going to scream if it beats out Glass.

That doesn't seem right. Skyforge weapons are equal in damage output to Elven weapons. Wait, maybe everything is fine. Skyforge weapons and Elven weapons are better than both Dwarven and Orcish weapons (I believe), so if it doesn't surpass Glass weapons, you should be fine.

Keep in mind some things. Your tempered skyforge weapons are going to have a higher number for damage output than Glass weapons if they aren't smithed and your smithing is high enough. If you have the perk for steel smithing/basic smithing (basic smithing is from many mods and includes steel smithing) and you have a perk for Glass smithing, you should be able to temper Glass weapons that will have higher damage. If you don't have a perk in Glass smithing, you can only improve Glass weapons and armor so much.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-09-27 at 13:43.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 13:41   Link #3216
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Yeah I've got Glass smithing. Hell, two points away from Ebony smithing, and if that sword doesn't get better than Skyforge Steel then something's wrong. I'm not boosting my ability with alchemy, since my alchemy level is an abysmal 20.
Old 2012-09-27, 13:46   Link #3217
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Maybe it is glitchy business. You've been having a lot of trouble with that? I've played around with mods and have had some trouble before, for sure, but I've never had problems that were too bad. One thing worth noting is that I did a complete reinstall and started the game with a new character for the current character I'm playing now.
Old 2012-09-27, 14:30   Link #3218
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

I didn't really feel like alchemy was very important in Skyrim. Come to think of it I don't think I ever leveled it. Think I just sold the herbs.
Old 2012-09-27, 15:41   Link #3219
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There is apparently enough issues with how weaponry *should* compare that a number of modders who seem to have a clue have put out weapon attribute rebalancing mods.

I'm using these weapon mods:
Smithing Perks Overhaul
Weapons and Armor Fixes
Jaysus Swords (v13c) - just more variety in weaponry, lore friendly

Many people seem to like the Complete Crafting Overhaul, though I haven't tried it yet.

Alchemy .... there are so many drops that I always just viewed it as kind of a mini-game (guess the recipes pachinko style). Usually, only my non-tanks (mage, assassin, ranger) worry about it and then only for specific potions they need (poison, etc)
Old 2012-09-30, 22:17   Link #3220
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Finally plugged in Convenient Horses. How'd I ever get by without this mod?

Also, Vexx, do you know who I have to go to learn the whistle?

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim