AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2013-04-27, 23:04   Link #261
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So... to say I'm extremely late to the party here is an extreme understatement. But, last night I managed to get around to watching it, and I'd just like to post some personal opinions.

First and foremost... yes, it was a good movie, but I would say it's slightly over-rated. (I'm assuming I can post spoilers freely since this movie is well over two~three years old)

For one, until we get to Nami being kidnapped a second time and leaving the message... the movie felt a lot like the Alabasta arc. In fact, Strong World seemed to follow a very Alabasta-like formula: have interaction with the bad guy (as you don't realize he's the bad guy yet), meet the people you're going to end up saving, and for at least half of the movie, very little action. Then when Luffy and crew go and blow up the palace... yes, they had one of the most badass/epic entrance scenes I've seen in a while.

However, even then there are some things that are just a case of "what the hell...". For instance, literally everyone but Nami using a gun. Since when can guys like Zoro and Luffy have any form of proficiency with a firearm? Granted, it was just for big explosions and bringing the house down to get a bunch of the guys out of the way, but still...

Then there were the Monster Trio fights. Zoro's and Luffy's fights made perfect sense... or at least, more sense than Sanji's. Yes, the fight made sense given his personality (was that battle a King Kong reference? I suspect it was), but it contributed nothing much to the plot, unlike most of the other fights. Hence why I say Sanji's fight was just pure fanservice, despite the attempt to give it decent set-up.

Then we have Luffy versus Shiki. In terms of visuals and action, this (obviously) by far the best fight, and I think most people forgave the earlier slowness of the plot because of the awesome aerial battle. I'll just repeat what everyone else has been more or less saying: that for all its awesomeness, it's essentially asspull material that allowed Luffy to beat Shiki. Still, it was an excellent fight in the end.

The last gripe I have is with the people of the village... yes, there was a Chekhov's gun in play there, but to give the people the ability to fly due to those small wing-like appendages so they could escape the falling islands? I'm sorry, that's pushing my suspension of disbelief too far.

So, for stuff that actually highly impressed me: I almost feel like an idiot for forgetting just how strong a personality Nami has. After she goes with Shiki the second time, I was under the impression that after seeing his power, she wouldn't fight back and would be a psuedo damsel-in-distress. Again, I feel like an idiot for thinking this. I was impressed at the lengths Nami was willing to go to help in taking out Shiki, even if that meant putting her life on the line. Also, I can't help but feel Chopper's real character shines in the moments when he demonstrates just how much of a true doctor's soul he has: we see in in Thriller bark against the twisted creations, and this side shows yet again when he goes and blows up the lab... much like Usopp, even though Chopper has a child-like "innocent" character when not in battle (and Usopp is more or less a coward)... when these guy get serious, they're on par with every other member of the Straw hats (well, minus the Monster Trio maybe).

So, overall, I'm going to give this movie a 7.5/10. Yes, it was good for the most part, but it didn't quite meet all the hype that people had been giving it, at least before Z came out (and Z I'll be getting to this summer as I have to catch up in the anime and manga).

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!

Last edited by Magin; 2013-04-27 at 23:13. Reason: adding some stuff
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 16:43   Link #262
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
I think it's gonna be quite awhile before that happens... I mean, they haven't even done the other 8 movies yet. All we got was The Desert Princess and the Pirates, and that was faaaaar before we even had Season 1 First Voyage.
I thought this was alrady confirmed to be dubbed
I hope we get the other films soon, they've been out for a while now, so maybe.
I think this is one of my favorite films, this and Z and movie 6. Ok I like them all

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 23:52   Link #263
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
^ Well, we know that Funimation bought the rights for the dub (and Film Z), but we still don't have any idea when that'll be~
Old 2013-09-10, 19:17   Link #264
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Alright... it's official... Funimation is dubbing Strong World, and it will be available November 19th on Bluray/DVD... and we go the cast list too...

Quote:
LUFFY - Colleen Clinkebeard
NAMI - Luci Christian
SANJI - Eric Vale
USOPP - Sonny Strait
ZORO - Christopher R. Sabat
CHOPPER - Brina Palencia
ROBIN - Stephanie Young
FRANKY - Patrick Seitz
BROOK - Ian Sinclair
SHIKI - Scott McNeil
DOCTOR INDIGO - Sean Schemmel
XIAO - Lindsay Seidel
SCARLET - Bryan Massey
MADAM - Jessica Cavanagh
GARP - Brian Mathis
SENGOKU - Ed Blaylock
BILLY - Josh Grelle

ADR Director - Mike McFarland
ADR Engineer - Stephen Hoff
http://www.funimation.com/lee/blog/b...vealed/7884777
Old 2013-09-10, 21:56   Link #265
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ Scott McNeil is Shiki? Really? That's awesome. He's got an incredible amount of talent and he's a veteran in the business. Really looking forward to hearing his take on Shiki. I'm sure it'll be great.
Old 2013-09-11, 00:04   Link #266
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Anybody else besides me think someone over at Funi should bonk Sean on the head to make him think he's Funi property only so he'll never have to come back to dub Yugioh Zexal again?
Old 2013-09-13, 00:06   Link #267
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Anybody else besides me think someone over at Funi should bonk Sean on the head to make him think he's Funi property only so he'll never have to come back to dub Yugioh Zexal again?
Who does Sean voice as in Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal? I'm caught up on the dub, waiting for Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal II Episode 5 to air dubbed tomorrow.
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 00:23   Link #268
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
^ Scott McNeil is Shiki? Really? That's awesome. He's got an incredible amount of talent and he's a veteran in the business. Really looking forward to hearing his take on Shiki. I'm sure it'll be great.
What roles is he famous for? I could think of a few:

Rattrap, Waspinator, Dinobot, and Silverbolt from Transformers Beast Wars
Suezo from Monster Rancher
Wolverine from X-Men Evolution
Dr. Wily from Megaman: Wish Upon a Star
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 08:30   Link #269
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ Add Piccolo from Dragon Ball Z (Ocean Group Dub) to your list if we're discussing roles he's famous/renowned for doing.

Here's a nice summation of the work he's done over the years:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ple.php?id=746
Old 2013-09-17, 10:11   Link #270
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

I do gotta say... Garp's voice will take some getting used to, but it's not bad... but Jamaican Shiki...? Love it~
Old 2013-09-17, 16:08   Link #271
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ You can definitely tell it's Scott McNeil doing Shiki's voice, but I did not expect him to have a Jamaican accent. I approve .

Garp's voice is good. He just sounds a bit younger for someone his age.
Old 2013-09-17, 18:07   Link #272
Rainbowman

I hope One Piece Film Z gets dubbed. I could think of four possibilities of who would voice Zephyr: Dee Bradly Baker, Robin Atkin Dowes, Fred Tatasciore, or Kevin Michael Richardson.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 15:39   Link #273
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Garp's voice is good. He just sounds a bit younger for someone his age.
Exactly, it's too young for him. I guess I just figured when I pictured Garp... I pictured someone like Mark Stoddard playing him. Though, he's already played Hiriluk, Mayor Boodle, Jonathan (Marine), and Terry from Jaya.... so I guess that was out of the picture~