AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-06-11, 16:22   Link #2241
Solachinx
is a myth

Melancholy manga vol. 3 is out. Haven't bought it yet.
Old 2009-06-11, 22:41   Link #2242
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post
Melancholy manga vol. 3 is out. Haven't bought it yet.
Know where I'm heading before work tomorrow... ^_^
Old 2009-06-11, 23:29   Link #2243
Jintor

If it's shipped to Australia, I guess I'll pick it up tommorrow.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 15:50   Link #2244
Solachinx
is a myth

The art has changed drastically since Melancholy, and the english is pretty decent too. I hope Yen Press doesn't just do the first four manga volumes, they're really good publishers.
Old 2009-06-13, 21:32   Link #2245
Jintor

Del Ray is actually my favourite (official) translation group manga-wise at the moment... but I digress. Anyway, it doesn't ship to Australia for another couple of weeks, meaning I can pick up Kujibiki Unbalance and Sayonara Zetsuobou Sensei at the same time...

The dude at the Kinokuniya desk actually told me they're not meant to be sold outside of the US but that Kino doesn't give a crap, it just means they have to source their stuff elsewhere.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-13, 23:10   Link #2246
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Unfortunately, the Borders near me hadn't gotten Volume 3 of the Haruhi manga in yet.

Fortunately, they did have FMA 18, Sgt. Frog 17, Mushishi 7, and Negima 22 in stock.

Unfortunately...they had FMA 18, Sgt. Frog 17, Mushishi 7, and Negima 22 in stock... My wallet is pissed at me right now...

At least it was late enough in the evening that I didn't trip over any homeless kids manga fans while I was making my selections...
Old 2009-06-14, 02:54   Link #2247
M.Marangio

Manga

The release date of the 9th (japanese) manga volume is July 25, 2009.
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/comic/bk_d...d=200904000050

The third volume of "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan" will be released in two versions:
A limited edition with a Yuki nendroid figurine (release date July 10) and the regular edition (July 25).
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/game/bk_de...d=200811000456
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/comic/bk_d...d=200811000480

Last edited by M.Marangio; 2009-07-15 at 06:46. Reason: added covers
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 07:00   Link #2248
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Marangio View Post
The release date of the 9th (japanese) manga volume is July 25, 2009.
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/comic/bk_d...d=200904000050
So, what are they on? They just finnished Disappearance, so is it Snowy Mountain?

Also, in manga BLR, when Mikuru(Big) says "I cant do anything for you personally, only while I'm asleep ?3 ," there's this thing hanging down from her hair that's attached to something on her right thumb. Do you think this might be the TPDD?
Old 2009-06-14, 07:40   Link #2249
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Also, in manga BLR, when Mikuru(Big) says "I cant do anything for you personally, only while I'm asleep ?3 ," there's this thing hanging down from her hair that's attached to something on her right thumb. Do you think this might be the TPDD?
Looks like shadow and hair lines to me.

Besides, I've always figured that the TPDD, and most Mikurutech, was mostly or completely internalized (nanobots, maybe?), much like she describes her version of the internet at one point. Mikurutech might be accessed via appropriate gestures (remember the "putting the hand to her ear" scene in "Boredom"?), so feeling around to look for it wouldn't necessarily be odd.
Old 2009-06-14, 13:28   Link #2250
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post

Besides, I've always figured that the TPDD, and most Mikurutech, was mostly or completely internalized (nanobots, maybe?), much like she describes her version of the internet at one point. Mikurutech might be accessed via appropriate gestures (remember the "putting the hand to her ear" scene in "Boredom"?), so feeling around to look for it wouldn't necessarily be odd.
Hmm, now that I look at it again, it DOES look like her pinky's shadow...
Old 2009-06-14, 14:20   Link #2251
M.Marangio

Quote:
So, what are they on? They just finnished Disappearance, so is it Snowy Mountain?
The 9th volume will cover the end of Disappearance. The last adapted chapters are from "Charmed at first sight lover", and "Snow mountain syndrome" is the next story in chronological order.
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 14:21   Link #2252
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

So still no new news on new novel content?

The manga is starting to catch up... >_>
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 14:26   Link #2253
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
... and the anime would probably already be waiting for new content if it weren't for the three year gap...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 21:27   Link #2254
OkamiNoKaze

I had already read the boredom chapters online, but I read the rest of it today, at Barnes and Noble, given the manga's tendency to mix events around is "Know me Know you" a manga original story, or is it from a later Novel? I really liked that chapter, I liked Yuki in that outfit
OkamiNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 21:51   Link #2255
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
I had already read the boredom chapters online, but I read the rest of it today, at Barnes and Noble, given the manga's tendency to mix events around is "Know me Know you" a manga original story, or is it from a later Novel? I really liked that chapter, I liked Yuki in that outfit
"Knowing Me, Knowing You" is a manga-original chapter, but it takes story cues from both Sighs and Melancholy of Mikuru.

It's actually one of my favorite Haruhi-related stories, considering it's a relatively early Mikuru story, and Mikuru desperately needs the development...

I know there are more manga-only stories, and I'd really like to read them... but the manga isn't sold anywhere in my area. Bah.
Old 2009-06-23, 22:09   Link #2256
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:

Didn't Mikuru go search her clothing for the TPDD when she woke up in bamboo leaf? That would suggest the TPDD is at least a hand held device.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 22:12   Link #2257
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Didn't Mikuru go search her clothing for the TPDD when she woke up in bamboo leaf? That would suggest the TPDD is at least a hand held device.
Aren't those motions just a natural thing to do when you've lost something?

She was just patting her body all over... and besides, if it was an external device, would you, as her boss, trust her not to lose it?
Old 2009-06-23, 23:12   Link #2258
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Except she was supposed to lose it on July 7th, because history says she did.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 23:20   Link #2259
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Mikurutech could use physical cues and gestures for control. Remember when she moved her hand to her ear in "Boredom" like she was touching a Bluetooth headset? Besides, I'm pretty sure that Mikuru(big)'s poking of Mikuru(small)'s face in BLR was when (and how) she took it. It's an obvious misdirection, but it fits the Tanigawa style to have the misdirection be the action.

Also note that in both the novel and the anime of BLR, Mikuru(small) reacts to not having the TPDD before she starts looking for it. That implies she is at least able to be consciously aware of whether she has it without actually "looking" to see. Maybe she called up her inventory on her HUD? ^_^

Why am I now visualizing "Mikuruvision" with active targeting and contextual callouts, a la Terminator or Robocop? She walks in to the club room, and a square reticle pops up on the maid outfit and "Directive 4: Make tea for SOS-dan." shows up at the bottom.
Old 2009-06-23, 23:38   Link #2260
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Why am I now visualizing "Mikuruvision" with active targeting and contextual callouts, a la Terminator or Robocop? She walks in to the club room, and a square reticle pops up on the maid outfit and "Directive 4: Make tea for SOS-dan." shows up at the bottom.
Further fuel for my theory that the time travelers are functionally less advanced Humanoid Interfaces.

But we have another topic for stuff like this. Why aren't we discussing it there?

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga