AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-26, 20:10   Link #21
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm going to say that there are times when Kyon seems too snarky to me; when the snark is so heavy laden that it contributes to the "unreliable narrator" effect that some of us here have pointed out.

Beyond that... I really don't see what's cool about always being negative.

Seriously.

Sure, a fair number of his comments and jokes are funny, but he goes overboard at times too, I think.

I'd much rather hang out with somebody upbeat like Haruhi. All in all...

Spoiler for Novel spoilers:
Old 2009-08-26, 20:14   Link #22
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

You want too much snark? Check out the Haruhi-chan OP. He snarks to the point of sounding exhausted.

But, to be fair, he does have to curb Haruhi's drive. With her status, "drive" can translate into something that is out of control.
Old 2009-08-26, 20:34   Link #23
TakariCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Spoiler for same novel... sorta:

Spoiler for same novel,another female:
Old 2009-08-26, 20:36   Link #24
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Er, that answer has got to be "no".
Old 2009-08-26, 20:40   Link #25
Simplicity

If there's one thing that bugs me about Kyon it's his overblown praise of Mikuru (particularly in the novels). Yes she's cute, we get it Kyon.

Kyon's got more going for him than just the snark though. He has his moments of cleverness, like in the end of the Sigh Arc.

Blah I wish I can come up with more to say. I always seem to blank when it comes to forum discussions.
Old 2009-08-26, 20:50   Link #26
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
If there's one thing that bugs me about Kyon it's his overblown praise of Mikuru (particularly in the novels). Yes she's cute, we get it Kyon.
Funny, his romanticizing over Mikuru is one of the things I like about Kyon. It shows that he's genuinely capable of positive thinking from time to time. Granted, I think that he blows Mikuru's appearance a bit out of proportion vis a vis what he says/thinks about Haruhi and Yuki (both of which being above average in physical appearance, imo), but for me, I'd like to see him recognize Haruhi and Yuki's good looks more instead of appreciating Mikuru's less.
Old 2009-08-26, 21:00   Link #27
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Well, I think he is awesome in the novel too. Though Sugita really does a exellent job (I am kinda going to watch Kannon onlt because of him).

But, about the 'unreliable narrator' part. Sure, he certanly don't say all he can about his personal feelings, as Disappearance can show us very well. But some seens to act as he is aways lieing, even whe describing something. Why people get this idea? There is some point in the books he does something like that? I so, where?
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-26, 21:07   Link #28
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-26, 21:42   Link #29
Simplicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Funny, his romanticizing over Mikuru is one of the things I like about Kyon. It shows that he's genuinely capable of positive thinking from time to time. Granted, I think that he blows Mikuru's appearance a bit out of proportion vis a vis what he says/thinks about Haruhi and Yuki (both of which being above average in physical appearance, imo), but for me, I'd like to see him recognize Haruhi and Yuki's good looks more instead of appreciating Mikuru's less.
His compliments regarding Mikuru sometimes feel like purple prose to me, not quite Stephanie Meyer quality, but still sickeningly sweet. He totally puts her on a pedestal. I might be over exaggerating it though. I just remember when I first read the novels there was so much praise for her that I just got tired of reading it.

...Well it could be worse I guess. At least Kyon's compliments have some class to them.

His compliments regarding Haruhi and Yuki sound much more natural. And yeah I would also like for Kyon to compliment Haruhi and Yuki more.

Doesn't he pretty much say that Haruhi is as good-looking as Mikuru? I think there was something along those lines in Endless Eight (novel version anyway).
Old 2009-08-26, 23:15   Link #30
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Does anybody think if Kyon were to wear a trench coat he'd look like the most recent Doctor or Doctor Who?
... and Mikuru is his TARDIS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakariCritic View Post
Spoiler for same novel,another female:
I was giving an example of a girl who isn't blatantly attracted to Kyon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakariCritic View Post
Spoiler:
Technically... Mikuru has no intentions of pursuing a relationship with Kyon. If not for Haruhi's (and Nagato's) retribution, then because history says she didn't, so she can't.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Haruhi and Kyon are both examples of people who look attractive, but possess personalities that often clash with others.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-27, 02:02   Link #31
Launch
Bug Catcher

I always thought that Kyon's (over) complimenting of Mikuru was more to do with the fact that he can't admit to himself that he actually likes Haruhi more. A kind of "No! Mikuru is the one I like, not anyone else!" type of thing Almost 'forcing' himself to compliment her so he doesn't have to think of Haruhi.

That's just the way I saw it. ^^;
Old 2009-08-27, 02:13   Link #32
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

At first, that isn't the case. Later on, possibly.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-08-27, 03:56   Link #33
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
I'm going to say that there are times when Kyon seems too snarky to me...

Beyond that... I really don't see what's cool about always being negative.

...I'd much rather hang out with somebody upbeat like Haruhi. All in all...

Spoiler for Novel spoilers:
If you had to save the world on a regular basis (with no powers) and had to keep pace with Haruhi... You'd be a little overly snarky too.

Oh, and real life "genki" people ("genki" that's the nice way to put it...) aren't that fun to be with. The same goes for real life clumsy people... they aren't cute.
Old 2009-08-27, 04:01   Link #34
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Why'd you bring up clumsy people? There's no one overly clumsy in Haruhi outside the spin-offs.
Old 2009-08-27, 04:13   Link #35
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Why'd you bring up clumsy people? There's no one overly clumsy in Haruhi outside the spin-offs.
I think we could fit Mikuru in the "clumsy" people category.
Old 2009-08-27, 04:17   Link #36
sacundim

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Sighs II, Live Alive, novel 9:
Old 2009-08-27, 04:22   Link #37
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
I think we could fit Mikuru in the "clumsy" people category.
It's nowhere near being a defining aspect for her, though. That'd be like saying Kyon is overly cheerful because he's smiled once or twice.
Old 2009-08-27, 04:32   Link #38
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacundim View Post
Good points. I gues this prooves Kyon is a lier... (when talking about Haruhi that is it)
Old 2009-08-27, 04:33   Link #39
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
It's nowhere near being a defining aspect for her, though. That'd be like saying Kyon is overly cheerful because he's smiled once or twice.
Her cicada is all the proof I need.
Spoiler for Cicadas don't lie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacundim View Post
Or could it be that Kyon has a little more faith in Haruhi and has grown a little? I think that's the case.
Old 2009-08-27, 05:18   Link #40
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Technically... Mikuru has no intentions of pursuing a relationship with Kyon. If not for Haruhi's (and Nagato's) retribution, then because history says she didn't, so she can't.
Do we know this for certain? I mean, was there actual dialogue in the later novels to this effect?

Quote:
Haruhi and Kyon are both examples of people who look attractive, but possess personalities that often clash with others.
Yes, I'd agree with that. I still think that Kyon comes off as a mostly quiet eccentric loner, though, to most of his class; I doubt that most of his classmates know what his personality is really like (Haruhi, on the other hand...). Kyon's association with Haruhi simply means he comes across as a bit less of a loner, but now as much more eccentric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch View Post
I always thought that Kyon's (over) complimenting of Mikuru was more to do with the fact that he can't admit to himself that he actually likes Haruhi more. A kind of "No! Mikuru is the one I like, not anyone else!" type of thing Almost 'forcing' himself to compliment her so he doesn't have to think of Haruhi.

That's just the way I saw it. ^^;
No offense, but this strikes me as a HaruhiKyon shipper really grasping for straws.

Also, I dislike the heavy layers of pretentiousness that some fans are reading into Kyon and Koizumi - such a notion makes them far less likable as characters, imo.

It's really not that hard to simply accept that Kyon finds Mikuru more attractive than Haruhi. It's really not. Yes, Haruhi has a great look herself, but if Kyon's main thing is basic cuteness and/or breast size, Mikuru genuinely has Haruhi beat there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
If you had to save the world on a regular basis (with no powers) and had to keep pace with Haruhi... You'd be a little overly snarky too.
No, I wouldn't be.

Not to say I'd handle it terribly better than Kyon does, but snark is rarely my coping mechanism of choice. Quite the contrary, my coping mechanism of choice is usually to try to look on the bright side of things as much as possible.

If I was in Kyon's shoes...

1) I'd be less snarky

2) I probably would have had a worse, more long-term traumatized reaction to the Asakura incident... but not snarky so much as I'd be more jumpy and a bit more cautious. I think that most people would have, honestly. Kyon's got serious guts, I'll give him that.

3) I'd simply refuse to pay out Haruhi's outrageous financial penalties, whatever the consequences... or, if Kyon's financially loaded (as I frequently suspect since he never objects to those penalties), I'd be more generous upfront to avoid the degrading nature of taking such financial penalties.

4) I would have taken Itsuki up on his "I love you" suggestion from the endless summer arc. If it works out well... great. If it doesn't, I can always blame Itsuki.

5) Overall, I'd be enjoying it all a lot more than Kyon is.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. Overall, Kyon has a lot of guts, I'll give him that.

Quote:
Oh, and real life "genki" people ("genki" that's the nice way to put it...) aren't that fun to be with. The same goes for real life clumsy people... they aren't cute.
I know real life people with domineering take-charge personalities like Haruhi. I met them in College. They're usually a blast to hang out with. At the high school level, I would have loved to have had a friend like Haruhi.

Tags
characters